Gary Fisher Marlin 2002 Hardtail

4.65/5 (66 Reviews)

Submitted by heckmanlloyd a Weekend Warrior from Boonville, MO

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    Great Geometry. Holding up well for a 9 y/o bike. Shifts nice even under load.

Weaknesses:    Clunks a lot. Stock seat post too short for the small frame.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money paid. Geometry is spot on for a beginner like myself. I cut my mountain biking teeth on this bike. Got a new bike, but still enjoy the Marlin! Only 4 chilis because I have not been overly pleased with the Judy TT fork. After a few trips through the woods, it started clunking.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Bridge

Purchased At:   C/L

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Trek 4500, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Scott Scale Comp 29er

Bike Setup:   Mostly original minus: Race Face seatpost, Bontrager saddle, Crank Bros. Mallet C pedals, Continental Mountain King 2.2 tires.

Submitted by kennymae a Weekend Warrior from Eastpointe, Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    It is just an overall great entry level bike.

Weaknesses:    The seat has poor padding, I upgraded to a better seat.

Bottom Line:
great value for what you get, don't buy a bike at wallyworld or kmart.
You get what you pay for.
Invest a little more money, and have a bike that will last you.

Purchased At:   Macomb Cycle

Submitted by biggtadd a Weekend Warrior from high dessert,california,usa

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    everything

Bottom Line:
This bicycle is great i owened mine since 2002.I never had any problems with it..i highly recomened this bike.

Purchased At:   cycleworld

Similar Products Used:   diamondback mtb..does not compare at all.

Bike Setup:   set up for street not trails

Submitted by Mypointofview a Weekend Warrior from Joe Town, MO

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Durable
Decent components
Versitile
Attractive
Quality
Balance is superb for climbing
Frame geometry and strength ...and it's a Gary Fisher

Weaknesses:    Tad bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level MTB with good quality components. I am an aggressive rider and am pretty hard on bikes. I am very impressed with how durable this bike has been. Quality is unbeatable. Very versitile bike. This is a very good bike, although slightly heavy, it is a good frame to develop from. Good on almost all terrains. You can find these used for the same price as those crapy Wal-mart MTB's and they'll last a lot longer....only upgrade this bike when whatever you are upgrading has broken, the stock stuff works great.

What sold me the most was by going to Youtube and watching Gary Fisher talk about mountain biking. This guy is the real deal. A true pioneer of the sport.

Similar Products Used:   Tried various Schwinns, Treks, and a Marin.

Bike Setup:   I have the 02 Gary Fisher Marlin. All I've added are Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by Cryohazard a Cross Country Rider from Slovakia

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    It's great bike for climbing and also descending...

Weaknesses:    Heavy...

Bottom Line:
I have Marlin 08 with classic Genesis geometry. I reallz love this bike. Gary Fisher bikes are one of the best on market so in future I want by some fullsuspension bike like GF Hifi plus...

Bike Setup:   I changed fork, brakes, tires and gave there SPDs. Deore components are good - no problem yet.

Submitted by sdankel a Weekend Warrior from chicgo, il, us

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Mine is black with the white trim and is simply beautiful. The G2 geometry does really make it a very comfortable ride and inspires confidence. Climbs hills with a purpose.

Weaknesses:    I disagreed with some of the components being silver, so I've upgraded to keep the look consistant - seatpost, stem, handlebar, grips - all black with white lettering (Kore). The Rock Shox Dart 2 is perfectly matched to this bike and smooth as glass. It's rather heavy though, at 5 & 1/2 lbs, so if I did anything next I would upgrade to a lighter fork.

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough great things about this bike - it is wicked! I over analyze everything and studied for months to find exactly what I wanted before I bought this. I am absolutely certain that I couldn't have made a better decision.

Favorite Trail:   palos

Bike Setup:   I switched out the stock Bontrager tires for a Kenda Nevegal up front and a Kenda Smallblock 8 in the rear. What was on it stock was totally fine, but the ride got noticably quicker now.

Submitted by M a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Strengths:    Well built, very long top-tube (good for taller riders), Gary Fisher name.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, low-end componentry.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I got this bike used and it needs a bit of work still. The previous owner left a thick layer of crud and road grime all over the drivetrain. Required a lot of degreaser and elbow grease. But great looking bike once it's clean and it runs great so far.

Favorite Trail:   Beck's

Purchased At:   Private seller

Similar Products Used:   None, first "real" mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock Marlin

Submitted by Ron a Cross Country Rider from troy

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    cheap pedals

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike for my bro and if he didnt like it I was going to convert it into SS. I have taken it out about ten times on some moderately technical trails. Despite mediocre components it shifts incredibly well and climbs very, very well. I recived some looks from guys on bikes worth 10x more with whom I kept up and passed. As a starter bike or as a backup bike or as SS prospect this bike is a steal. At the retail price it is a very good deal. At the price I paid, let's just say my brother may never see this bike.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Cake 3, Stumpie

Bike Setup:   Stock plus SPD pedals, Fox seat

Submitted by Mark from Columbus GA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent value
Light bike for this price range
Great climber
Frame geometry and strength

Weaknesses:    Seat uncomfortable
Derailleurs crappy esp front

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used about 2 years ago for a good price. I am an aggressive rider and am pretty hard on bikes. I am very impressed with how durable this bike has been. I have put tons of miles on this bike with little to no problems. I have just got into cross country racing and am using this bike until I find a race bike to buy. Fun to beat people on 2-3k dollar bikes on my cheap entry-level Gary Fisher. Great beginner bike and I would highly recommend it. For this price range I found this bike is a couple pounds lighter than most. I have made some upgrades and have been very pleased with this bike.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Jamis, GT, Diamondback

Bike Setup:   WTB Rocket V seat
XT shifters and xtr derailleur
Eggbeater pedals
Thomson stem
ODI grips
Cateye Micro wireless

Submitted by Snoopy SNOOPY a Weekend Warrior from texas,texas,texas

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Tough and strong light enough to climb pretty much anything good at jumping. GREAT bike

Weaknesses:    none the seat is not bad but not amazing

Bottom Line:
this is an insane bike that will do anything short of jumping off cliffs great value good for beginners, dirt jumping, stairs, getting from place to place, xcountry,

Favorite Trail:   i dont know

Purchased At:   Fine Edge Ski and Cycle

Similar Products Used:   trek 5300 kona cindercone

Bike Setup:   stock (2003)?

Submitted by BigG a Weekend Warrior from Danville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, control, frame/frame-guarantee, weight, the lockout on the fork, looks, components

Weaknesses:    not many, seat... maybe

Bottom Line:
This is a great, dependable/durable bike for me and I am used to thrashing my rides... I am 6'6" 260lbs and this bike loves every bit of me. It rides like a champ for somebody my size; it's comfortable, tough, and has a lifetime frame guarantee! I plan on upgrading parts as they brake. It is the best bike for the money in this price range and a bike that is worth the investment (especially if you are looking to upgrade the components down the road). I haven't had any gear problems, or tire problems. The seat isn't as bad as some are making it out; it isn't comfortable, but it doesn't hurt on long rides either. This sucker takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! 5 Flamin' Chilis all the way!

Favorite Trail:   Some old dirt rode in Las Trampas

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Many cheap mountain bikes over the years, many BMX's. Test rode the trek4500

Bike Setup:   Stock + headlight, flat-kit, and water bottle

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Skogen

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    Good frame geometry, enables advanced maneuvers. Balance is superb for climbing

Weaknesses:    Front gear shifter is not very accurate.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good bike, although slightly heavy, it is a good frame to develop from. Adding better grear and brake components and this will be a top multisport bike.

Similar Products Used:   Planet X -99

Bike Setup:   Original setup

Submitted by joe morgan a Weekend Warrior from Arcadia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Strengths:    shifts pretty good, climbs super

Weaknesses:    seems to get really jumpy in the front end, no matter what I try, when I;m on very steep incline climbs, but I am talking STEEP here, it's fine on most hills.

Bottom Line:
Just recently got back into MTBiking, used to ride in high school 11 years ago...been road biking. So, a free Marlin came my way, and I decided to try it again... so far, I've been slowly trying more technical stuff, and the bike is holding up just great; like everyone says the "Genesis" frame (or whatever, i dont know wtf) seems to climb very nimble and in balance. Do keep in mind, I have not MTBiked for years, and only have a '93 Park Pre Hammer (no suspension forks) to compare all riding with. That said, the technical, sketched out trails are going down fast, pretty large -sometimes 2 foot- drops are being taken, and plenty of gnarly single track thru mud and creeks and boulders have been split. This bike does it all, no complaints so far...I am 5'7 135 lbs, 28 years old, had the bike 3 months, maybe I will remember to update this thing in another 6 months, let you know about any upgrades...ride safe, peace out...only upgrade this bike when whatever you are upgrading has broken, the stock stuff works good

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto (sp?) near JPL pasadena

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   Used to ride Park Pre Hammer, pre-shox, but had shimano deore LX

Bike Setup:   stock, except for it has plastic "kiddy" pedals on it from previous owner who gave it to me...oh those suck, slippery when wet...non stock too, putting some with teeth on this week though...

Submitted by Lar a Weekend Warrior from Santa Monica

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2005

Strengths:    Price Point! Looks great ! Handles like a light sport aerobatic airplane. Easy to normal break-in. Jumps curbs & pick-nick tables well. Goes up hills fast. Great for parking lot hockey. Turns on a dime. Stops well in the wet.

Weaknesses:    Changed saddle after my second ride to a WTB Progell & duel purpose tires. You must keep the chain clean and lubed for it to shift well. But that is so with every bike, cheep or expensive. Keep it under 40mph or it will get a little wild. It needs a bell or a horn. Hard to run with due to the tight frame.

Bottom Line:
The shocks at this price are super. You can up grade this bike all over as you wear the thing out - it may take years for some folks. But you will have a darn fun time getting there even if you are a "Bike'n Betty". Face plants arrrr held to a min whith this frame geometry. To ever find this bike at a yard sale would be like Cortez finding El Dorado !! You will want a big lock for this one. It's a keeper.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   Cheap Biks / Eagle Rock

Similar Products Used:   Tried : Treck, Cannondale, & other Fishers ( 43 years of riding trails & road )

Bike Setup:   WTB Progell saddle, mountain rack, bottle, and tube, tools, & air cartrages & ... speed'o.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2005

Strengths:    Design, easy to use, seemed pretty light

Weaknesses:    THE SEAT!!! Ouch!

Bottom Line:
I am not a "Biker" by any means... I just bought it this past weekend- and I am a big guy- well Tall- 6'5" and I really really enjoyed it... everything but the seat! I rode yesterday on a 24 mile trip... and I can't feel my butt! I gotta get this fixed before I ride again. But other than that-I got a good deal on it, and I am fired up to use it as much as I can- With a new seat!

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Caynon

Purchased At:   Michael's Bike Shop- Newbury Park, CA

Bike Setup:   Stock

gut reaction: trek 3700 disc or trek marlin 5?

Hey folks. Im looking at a new 2014 trek 3700 disc, and a 2015 trek marlin 5. Same exact price.....give me your feedback, please!Read More »

Trek marlin 5. Good beginner bike?

Thinking of buying one soon. Opinions?Read More »

x calibe 29r vs Marlin 29 vs Wahoo 29?

OK, my fist question is what are the differences between frames with these Trek 29er's? I see that most of the newer X caliber frames are made from the same aluminum (if not all hydroformed). If I am seeing the differences right it appears the Marlin have the G2, but no upper or lower eyelets for ra ... Read More »

Marlin 5 fork, what fits?

I am not new to mt biking but am new to it within the last 8 years and just got a Marlin 5 and am looking to upgrade a new set of forks. What will fit and I would like to keep the same axle mount too. Do I need to keep an eye out for a particular head tube? I am thinking of the RockShox XC32TK.Read More »