Fuji Outland 2002 Hardtail

Submitted by Boondoggle a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    I have had many bikes and worked in a shop. FRAME DESIGN is the huge strength here.

Weaknesses:    Short travel on a flimsy fork.

Bottom Line:
The bike has a excellent feel as far as frame size and brakes. The fork was a little annoying until I adjusted it to the stiffest setting. It is now a good balance for the bike path and the little side trails off of it. It's also fit for some basic downhill riding. I would recommend upgrading the fork for serious mountain use. Otherwise the components should be excellent

Favorite Trail:   Crested Butte and Cherry Creek (path)

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F300, Trek 3900

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by taso a Cross Country Rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2003

Strengths:    Price, frame, brakes, fork (yes fork), tires

Weaknesses:    Crank

Bottom Line:
This bike was an excellent choice. The crank that comes stock is pretty weak, in fact the first 2 weeks the crank gave.(fuji replaced it with a ritchey crank-the people at fuji were very helpful & courteous) But for the price, the bike really exceeded my expectations.
The frame feels good, the bike is relatively light, and it responds very well. Very strong bike, already has many miles on it, most of them hard, and still rides with style.

Purchased At:   perfomance

Similar Products Used:   trek 8900, fuji thrill, cannondale f700

Bike Setup:   deore shifters, ritchey cranks

Submitted by SteveO a Weekend Warrior from Centreville, VA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Really good bike for the money,good brakes,good frame.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great bike for beginners, or anyone. Comes with a lot of good parts for the price. Tough bike, the frame can take a lot of abuse. You can put disc brakes on it if you want. Nice 27 speed, shifts well most of the time. Overall a very good bike for the price.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Michael Gracy a Weekend Warrior from Lafayette, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Good price, decent equipment, frame and forks are disc ready.

Weaknesses:    Suntour X75 forks

Bottom Line:
Really good beginners bike with good equipment for the price I paid. I haven't been on a bike since 1990 and am now recapturing the joy of riding. This is the bike for me, I shopped at REI and a few other chains and as another reviewer noted-it was love at first ride . The 'S' curve on the drop out stays lends a good firmness with flexiblity to the frame. I am a little concerned about the diamond shape of the headset to bottom-bracket tube (I'm still learning all the lingo). It's not that it is weak looking, but it does make buying and fitting parts to that part of the bike a challenge (bottle cages, strap on fenders, etc.). Still though, after riding it (China Camp and Tilden)and adjusting the brakes a little with the barrels, it's a great bike to begin with and build on if you are so inclined.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp, San Rafael

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Bike Setup:   As noted at top of page, I added a Thudbuster and a Performance Forté Team MTB Saddle

Submitted by Marc Yearwood a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Value for $.

Weaknesses:    Suntour shocks

Bottom Line:
I'm brand new to mountain biking, and this is the perfect bike for me to begin with. It feels stable, and helps to build confidence. During the week I ride it to school, and on the weekends I try to find new trails. I'll probably learn on it for a couple more years, and upgrade when I feel I'm ready.

Favorite Trail:   quicksilver & santa teresa park

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Fuji frame, Deore components, Cyclone crank, Ritchey rims, Suntour shocks

Submitted by jimmy rollins a Weekend Warrior from montgomeryville

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    price, value, components.

Bottom Line:
This bike has a decent ride for an entry level class hardtail. For $330 it rode like a bike twice it's price. I wasn't familiar with Fuji name brand and I remember these bikes were being given away with a mercury car but thats all I remember with Fuji. I demo's it for about an hour taking it over curbs ands hardpack trails. Handles very well. Above average actually. The front end with the entry level fork was surprisingly light. It took hits and curbs with ease. The linear pull brakes were average, stopping was strong after barrel adjustments. Who would buy this bike? It's perfect for the strugling college student who wants a decent ride to use on campus and sturdy enough to use off road on the weekends. Working class on a budget, who trail ride a few times a year at well known trails. Nice ride, capable & light fork, low price. Put them together means a very good value.

Purchased At:   performance