Fuji Nevada 2002 Hardtail

3.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by christopherrodrigues a Cross Country Rider from Trinidad

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    The frame is a good solid unit, practically bombproof, yet reasonably lightweight, It's the best asset on the bike. The SR Suntour fork is totally decent, I've had no problems with it. The shifters are smooth and somewhat precise...I'll touch on that later.....the Tektro IO front disc brake is also a nice touch

Weaknesses:    The bike is a good unit off the shelf for road and light, non technical trail riding. The spokes should be replaced immediately with premium stainless steel spokes. I went on a 25km trail ride and wasn't too impressed when they started to pop on me. I'm in the process of replacing all the fuji stock parts with upgraded aftermarket combos. The bike is a bit heavy overall but then again I'm 6' tall and 190 lbs, maybe the bike weight isn't the problem!? The wheels go out of true after some miles on rough trails, darn spokes. That's all I can think of with respect to weakensses

Bottom Line:
Good bike for a beginner, nice frame but the stock parts really work your nerves after a while. While this bike may not warrant a full XT or RED groupset with all the goodness of Carbon Fibre where possible, a few upgrades won't hurt. Again the frame is good and is a solid foundation for building a decent beginners bike. I would highly recommend a swap to a full Alivio or Deore groupset, some SPD pedals, a hyperglide chain for quieter shifts, some decent disc brake wheels and tubeless Bontrager tires, a full Tektro IO kit and a decent stem and handle bar combo. A good beginners bike with a wig and some lipstick!

Favorite Trail:   San Fernando Hill

Purchased At:   Ojars

Similar Products Used:   you'd laugh!

Bike Setup:   Shimano Alivio rear derail and SIS front derail, SRAM chain, Shimano Crank, Tektro IO mechanical disk brakes, Shimano Deore rear disc brake hub, Truvative AKA stem and Stylo handlebar, SRAM 8 speed cassette, C9 saddle, Shimano SPD Pedals, Sigma bike computer.

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from southington/glastonbury/new britain, ct

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Strengths:    It's been over 5 years and this bike is still holding it's own. I've probably invested a total of $200 on the bike, over the whole 5 yrs. Pretty nice ROI.

Weaknesses:    Within the past 6 months the front stem/fork has begun to squeak. I have the gears re-adjusted roughly every 10 rides, as well as the tires trued.

Bottom Line:
I bought it in highschool to get to work. I rode it everyday for 6 months about 5 miles. Then the bike came with me to college and I took it to some local trails. Really the second year I owned it is when I started to really beat it up. I took on a little more than I could chew sometimes. Took some BIG falls off 6ft+ drops landed wrong the whole nine yards... With-out exception every single time I was more injured than the bike. The tires took the beating wonderfully, as well as the shock. the frame is intact, no cracks or stress fractures. Some friends who have better shocks constantly have problems with the lock outs and pressure yadda yadda yadda... I have had none of that. As mentioned above the tires just wore out, so I replaced the rear one with a 2.35 mud eatter, the thing is monstrous. The front remains a 2.0 and is doing just fine. Absolutely spectacular for riding in the snow and mud. I love it. With out a doubt the greatest/only bike i've owned. Soon I will upgrade to a prophet or dakar in order to be able to land successfully those 6ft+ drops.

This Bike is great for any weekend warrior who is just looking to throw the bike around and have a spectacular time without worrying how much parts are going to cost you.

Favorite Trail:   case/middlesex CC/mcd

Purchased At:   Pig Iron

Bike Setup:   Essentially stock. I bought replacement tires last year bc the stock ones had no tread.

Submitted by Zack a Weekend Warrior from Springfield VA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    Very good components, especially when tuned correctly. Nice tire and wheel combo for price, good brakes and shifters, Deores are pretty smooth.

Weaknesses:    Front fork not so hot, but what do you want for such a cheap bike

Bottom Line:
I'm happy with it. 17" is too small for my 6'3" frame, but I'm making do with what I have. I'm very satisfied with its capabilities and nature.

\___:)
||||

Favorite Trail:   Your moms house

Purchased At:   From a friend who never used it

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Avent G a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    The bike I have/had (brother now uses it) is a 2000 model. Was my first mountain bike and so far it would have to be the most reliable bike that I have had. Overall the bike is just bomb proof, it has taken a real beating over the years and it just keeps on knocking out the km's.

Weaknesses:    Some cheap components - ie wheels, shox, brake pads - get what you pay for though.
Found the wheels to be fairly weak but it has inevitably taught me how to straighten them....which caint be all bad...so either replace them or be prepared to maybe have to straighten them every now and again.
The shox (RST 281 - enough said) seized the 1st time they were placed under wet & muddy conditions, but only being a spring and elastomer set up a strip down and re-grease and these puppys were good as gold again. The seals on the shox are very average at the best of times so im afraid it is a continual battle.
The brake pads were fine in the dry but get them wet and they were hopeless - a must upgrade should you value life! but should you be looking for some added excitement by all means leave them on.
Found the granny ring was not small enough to climb any real steep ranges, for anything else was aok.

Bottom Line:
This bike has well and truely been taken outside it's own comfort zone and has come up TOPS everytime.
Its been perfect for me especially as a first bike/guinea pig as at times its been a real experimental lab and ive learn't all the basic maintenance skills - and then some - needed to get by and if ya dont keep it up the bike really suffers (like any bike really).
Perfomance wise ive found it goes were i send it etc etc and throw some decent tyres on it and its a cracker first bike.
Never regretted buying this bike and i probably wouldn't have had the problems ive had with it should i have actually used it for what it was designed for.

Favorite Trail:   Makairo Track

Similar Products Used:   avanti & haro products.

Bike Setup:   A shorter stem (its like riding a bus otherwise), shimano brake pads, specialized strong arm cranks with acera rings, michelin tyres, shimano spd's, selle saddle.

Submitted by jonathan cregg a Cross Country Rider from auburn,ny ,usa

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Strengths:    overall the frame is the best part of this bike. although it's not really designed for it, it can take a solid beating. good for drops and some low key downhill. at least, i haven't outgrown it yet.

Weaknesses:    components! the stock components are good fot basic street and trail riding, but fall short when it comes to free riding and downhill action. brakes are decent enough. rims tweak soon after you start doing drops. derailer will have to be replaced eventually. large sprocket near pedals should be replaced with a bashring. pedals definately are no good. handlebars should be replaced asap. all in all, just beat up your components until they break and then upgrade them to something sturdier.

Bottom Line:
great for beginning freeriders like myself. as components give you get solid experience in what a bike can take and what you really need for your level of riding.

Favorite Trail:   fort hill cemetary

Purchased At:   mike's bikes

Submitted by Sam Callanan a Weekend Warrior from Ashland, Oregon, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    great bike !! simply great!

Weaknesses:    tires

Bottom Line:
this bike is excellant the only problem is the tires! in one skid i made a 3 inch rip in the tire! put wtb 2.1s and now it is a great bike! i go off 2 foot drops every weekend and the fork is fine! NOTE: i am only 120 pounds!
i bought a giant rincon for 309 and have already spent over 200 on just making it ride able i have only spent about 40 on the fuji! any1 over 170 buy a thrill

Favorite Trail:   Toothpick

Purchased At:   Moores

Similar Products Used:   giant rincon giant boulder

Bike Setup:   stock with wtb motoraptor 2.1

Submitted by Robert G. a Weekend Warrior from Warner, NH

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    I am 6-3, 220 and in very good shape. I ride this bike hard, on technically challenging trails and I do a lot of steep mountain climbing. This bike does it all. It is relatively light, it shifts very well and responds very well. My only complaint is that the break pads wear quick, but that may be due to my style of riding. I can throw anything at this bike and it takes me on-ward. This bike cannot be beat for the money - a huge value. I laugh at those that spend $3000 on a bike when I ride with them. I did finally bend the rear tire, but with what its been through, not to bad.

Weaknesses:    Breaks wear quick.

Bottom Line:
VALUE.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Kearsarge

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bobs

Similar Products Used:   Fujie Odessa, Trek 1000, Fuji Ace

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    I bought the bike because it was the only mountain bike I could find that came in such a large frame size, and I'm 6'5".

Weaknesses:    I like how it rides, but I've had a lot of problems: first, the spokes on the real wheel kept breaking - they broke more than 3 times in the first few months I had the bike. I kept bringing it back to the shop to have new spokes put on, until finally one of the spokes popped off right in front of the mechanic. Fuji sent a replacement wheel from a slightly more expensive bike, and so far, I've had no more broken spokes (knock on wood). The other problem I've had is the shocks - THEY SQUEAK!!!! It's driving me nuts. The mechanic tried lubing them, and replacing one of the springs, but the shocks were squeaking again the next day. Fuji sent a new fork, but the pole on top of it wasn't long enough. Fuji claimed my dealer was going to find a solution with Suntour, the manufacturer of the shocks, but I haven't heard anything, and I'm kind of leery of going back into the shop - since buying the bike, the shop where I bought it has been very rude, acted like they were doing me a favor following up on the warranty at all, and basically tried to tell me the warranty is a joke.

Bottom Line:
I feel like this bike is a cheaply made flimsy piece of garbage - I expect to have to spend a lot of money upgrading the shocks, and I don't have high hopes about the quality of the rest of the parts.

Submitted by Ted a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the Money. Lite weight. Good Components. Handles like a dream, shifts when I want it to,
brakes are good.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I was really Surprised when I test rode my Fuji Outland SE. I wanted a lite weight MB with good components. So I tested a Trek 4300 which seemed a little heavy, then a couple of Jamis full suspension bikes which rode good but heavy then I saw the Fuji which did not turn me on at first but my wife talked me into riding it. It was love at first ride! I could jump curbs with ease, ride on wet grass and shift gears with ease, go fast, stop fast.... Love it !

Favorite Trail:   Long and FLAT single track

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first hard tail mountain bike. I do have a full Suspension MB but I don't ride it much anymore.

Submitted by arthur kittler a Weekend Warrior from North adams, MA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Strengths:    great looks and value for the $$.

Weaknesses:    poor brakes

Bottom Line:
A great value. I tried out Giant, Trek & Daiamondback all for more $$ but found the Nevada had more features (24 speeds and better front fork). It takes a while to get used to the short top tube length as this seems to effect both climbing and decending a little. Having never purchased a new bike, I had no idea this would be an issue. Once I got used to it, no problem atlthough the bike rags would have you believe it's the end of the world. I'm 56 years old, and with this machine can ride with riders half my age. I feel it's a great entry level bike. Virtually all my riding is typical new England,hills roots and rocks. This bike has taken all I can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   any technical/hard climb

Purchased At:   sports corner n.adams

Similar Products Used:   Mt. Shasta

Bike Setup:   stock w/climbing bars

Submitted by Shane X. a Cross Country Rider from puyallup, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
My dad recently bought me the bike because I needed some new wheels to ride the Seattle-to-Portland Classic this year. I have put just over 400 miles on it in the 3 months that I have had it. Just as with any piece of fine machinery, it MUST be maintained a lot, which I have been doing diligently. The bike rides like a Cadillac! I love the fact that it only weighs about 30 pounds. For the price, a person couldn't go wrong with a purchase of this stature! I love it! Can't wait to ride to Portland on this bicycle!

Favorite Trail:   wherever i may roam...

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Fuji Nevada 1.7 with disc brakes

Looking to get back into riding and try out some trail riding, I'm looking at buying a fuji 1.7 hardtail. Can anyone give any feed back on this bike it would be helpful thanks.Read More »

Fuji Nevada 1.9D

Anyone have this bike and if so how do you like it? I am looking to get a bike and wanted to try and keep it around $500. I am not going to be really doing any serious trail riding but want something that will hold up on the trails in TX.Read More »

Santa Cruz Bicycles demo in Reno, Nevada July 9th..................

looks like there will be a Santa Cruz bikes demo in Reno, Nevada on July 9th. Should be good chance to ride tallboy 2 and Bronsons! here is the link--->> [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151427519117723.1073741860.353292962722&type=1"]DEMO TOUR[/URL]Read More »

Fuji Nevada 1.9 29er singlespeed

Recently converted my fuji to a singlespeed. Loving it. Good entry level bike that you can upgrade over time. Feels solid and rides good for the money. [IMG]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/lucidmc/null-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/lucidmc/null-12.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

XC Race: Nevada City Dirt Classic Saturday June 15th

Info: [url=http://ybonc.org/events/dirt-classic/]XC Mountain Bike Racing Series in Nevada City, CA | Youth Bicyclists of Nevada County[/url] [url]https://www.bikereg.com/Net/19237[/url] This course is on private land, so pre-running is not available unto the morning of the race. Directions: ... Read More »