Fuji Mt. Fuji 2002 Hardtail

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Leif Johansson a Racer from Smithfield,Ut.

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    I love the bike. Its worth every cent spent on it. Extremely lite, very responsive, and was able to get it in a 22 inch. I'm over six feet tall so its hard to find a good racer that would fit my tall body frame. Climbing and racing have become fun again on the bike. Frame gemetery is important on downhill, rocky decents, this bike meets those standards hands down.

Weaknesses:    The water bottle mounts on the frame rattle and can only be tightened so far. They rattle loose and that drives me crazy. Cage mounts don't really fit the odd shaped frame. I just use the mount on the downtube, mainly because I carry a camelback.

Bottom Line:
I race almost every weekend that there is a race, and love the way the bike rides. When the race season ends in the fall I like to go on long epic rides and the bike is extremely comfortable. At the end of a long ride I can get off the bike in comfort. My back, and the rest of my body isn't sore and too often feel that I didn't ride the bike hard enough. I'm 30 yrs old, so I think at this point in my life I would start to consider riding a FS but why? This bike rocks my world!! I become a huge Fuji fan, and at most races I'm the only one with a Fuji. I'm seriously considering a Fuji Cross frame for fall. I just need the money.

Favorite Trail:   Stumphollow

Purchased At:   Joyride Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I used to ride a 1996 American (comp lite) that was just a stiff and racer friendly but was heavier.

Bike Setup:   Rockshox psylo-sl with ajustable travel and lockout. I choose the fork because of the lockout feature which makes the bike a sprinting machine. The adjustable travel (up to 125mm makes it a bit more forgiving, and makes me FEEL more invinsiable. Bontrager Valiant wheels with XTR hubs, XT drivetrain, Ritchey WCS seatpost, stem, and bar, Single track bar ends, Michelin Jet semi slicks, and Hutchinson knobbies for loose conditions. Only thing I wish I would have done was get a pair of Crossmax wheels to complete the lite weight Forte

Submitted by Jan a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    weight, loooks, durability

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
So far I can find no weaknesses in this bike. It is light yet surprisingly strong. It climbs hills easily and is very responsive. I am still a beginner in mountain biking but on a good week, I bike a lot. The 15" is a great fit for a woman; the top tube is not too high or too long. The seat was hard to get used to at first but after a few weeks it's just fine. No problems at all to report and I got it for a steal on ebay.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumer M4

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by samuel clemens a Racer from bugger creek, OH, Ukraine

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    has a nice place to carry my tin cans that i'm gonna recycle.

Weaknesses:    smells like warm feces. would be more stable with three wheels instead of just two.

Bottom Line:
since i live in the city i don't get to ride off road too much. i normally just ride through my high rise apartment complex. doesn't fit into the elevator very well though.

Favorite Trail:   the OJ Scrimpson Trial

Purchased At:   Big Lots

Similar Products Used:   harley-davidson hardtail, huffy beach cruiser

Bike Setup:   got rid of the front wheel completely (saves 6lbs!), got rid of the front and rear brakes (saves 4.5 lbs), got rid of the seat so i only have a post (didn't save much weight but sure does feel better!. replaced the handlebars with a broomstick. also added a lovely little bell.

Submitted by Rick a Racer from Tallahssee, FL

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    This bike is all about weight, or a lack there of. XTR shifting (XT front) gets the job done. The Avid single digit Ti's work as good as regular SD'd, but shave dome grams. They don't provide the modulation that XTR's or discs bring to the table, but they have plenty of power. The wheelset utilizes Ritcheys new Off Center Rim technology. I haven't had any problems thus far, and the set is reasonably light. The Sid SL fork makes the front end feel exceptionaly snappy and quick, and the lockout is great for flat sprints and climbs.

Weaknesses:    Tires: they've gotta go. Kenda says they're 1.95s, but they're more like 1.7 semi slicks. The ritchey pedals the lightest available (with the exception of Egg Beaters), but the bearings started showing signs of wear and play after only 100 or so miles. The frame is light and compliant and has a good race-like feel, but I like my homegrown better when things head skyward.

Bottom Line:
This bike is only worth $2000 if you are a racer. If not, spend your money on something a little heavier and stronger. I'm a 'core XC racer and love the bike for its zippy feel and light weight. If you do race, then the bike is a deal. Just be ready to replace tires when you buy the bike. 21 pounds stock, that's the bottom line.
(note: My father owns a bike shop, so I got the bike at dealer cost - don't expect this price from your dealer)

Favorite Trail:   Razorback, Ocala FL