Diamondback Sorrento 2002 Hardtail

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Capwell Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Lovettsville, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Strengths:    I've owned this bike for 4 years and it's never off the trail for any major problem. The gears work great and it has good braking and steering.

Weaknesses:    Barley any good suspension but thats why they call it a hardtail. The front reflector snapped off the first time I fell off it.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best multi-purpose bikes for beginners or even anyone

Favorite Trail:   W&OD

Purchased At:   ?

Bike Setup:   The reflectors could be less flimsey but the gears, seat and handle bars are great.

Submitted by Daniel Hansen a Downhiller from Las Vegas, NV United States

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Strengths:    Its a great bike if you like to do dirt jumping, urban riding, or strait trail riding. Me I like freeriding with a 2004 kona stinky. Its handeled every thing I've done to it. Which I've taken it off 4 foot drops. dont do it at home just beats the crap out of it. Use it only for trail riding. Its been a good bike even though I take it on thing I shouldnt. One thing that blew me away that it had a cardridge system head set. Which on the kona stinky they don't have that.

Weaknesses:    The fork soon as you get the bike get a new fork it blows out on you even if you just trail ride in about a month. The derailer goes out on you in about 3 months. Get some Rino Lite Rims for the bike because the rims suck. Watch the big low ring in the rear it can bend easily. Get new pedals these suck like no other can't stay on them down the line get a new stem I need a new one and I had it for a year

Bottom Line:
its a great bike if you like to trail ride no drops just dirt jumps with a landing. It lasted me well for what I've done to it which you shouldnt do to it.

Favorite Trail:   up on the mountain where me and my friends built everything

Purchased At:   Galyan's

Bike Setup:   suntor fork,shimano componuts like v-breaks, shifters, drive train bacicaly and rims. kenda tires. stupid plastic pedals.diamondback grips cardridge system head set.

Submitted by Levi a Cross Country Rider from Lewistown

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    It has taken everything I could throw at it. The Frame is very stiff and will take everything. As hard as I try I can't seem to break anything except the chain which is wierd.

Weaknesses:    I broke the chain hauling ass uphill in 16th gear. I'm going to put on a Rock Shock Judy xc because this one just isnt cuttin it.

Bottom Line:
In this small town only a couple people bike and they ride full suspension mongoose mgx pieces of crap. They are constantly breaking parts and having a tough time keeping up with me. The fork is great except that it has no adjustibility. For most riders buying this bike it will be fine but since I've owned this bike I've gotten to be a much better rider and I need an upgraded bike to keep up with me. I haven't broken anything except the chain and that just happened today. Gotta get a new headset and stem to mount that Rock Shock so in a couple days it will be a whole new bike. Any new rider getting into the sport will want to check this bike out. It's really cheap for the high level of quality that it provides.

Favorite Trail:   I ride everywhere.

Purchased At:   High Plains Bike and Ski

Similar Products Used:   1995 Specialized Hardrock, 1990 Trek 820 Antelope

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for the seat, which I shredded in a nasty 45mph downhill wreck, and a pair of titec flattracker handlebars. I'm goin with the rock shock just because I need the adjustibility.

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, C.A

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Price. For a beginner, you can't beat the price. The frame is strong, sturdy, fairly good geometry, and great for upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Components. The only things worth keeping are the frame and seatpost. I quickly outgrew the intro componentry.

Bottom Line:
For a someone intoducing themselves to mountain biking, this is the bike. The frame is strong and worth keeping for upgrades. Take note: Don't pour your money on high end componentry. For a "so-so" frame, hook up "so-so" components. Save the cash for a new bike worth the dough when you're ready to move on. The bike is a keeper for a backup. It's a great bike to let you know what your driving style is and you won't feel guilty dropping loads of cash into a sport you choose not to continue. Another plus is that you learn how to be a your own mechanic. I'd be afraid to tamper with a $1000 plus bike if I were a novice. In conclusion, keep the frame and upgrade ALL the components to something decent....it makes a big difference. Once you move on to your new ride, you'll feel good knowing you started off low and learned a lot as you moved up.

Favorite Trail:   San Gabriel Mountains

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Judy XC fork, Shimano LX: Brakes, brake levers, shifter pods, crankset, and front/rear derailuer. Mavic 221 rims / Deore hubs, Syncros handlebars, Ritchey comp stem.

Submitted by will a Cross Country Rider from st cloud mn usa

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    this has to be the best frame in the 250$ price range. very rigid and the 7005 series aluminum will last

Weaknesses:    stock fork is nothing. mine lasted about 2 weeks once i got to school and started doing more than single track. if you want to take some stairs or drops on the trail, upgrade the fork. the running ggear will hold up and the wheels are double walled and can take a beating

Bottom Line:
if all your doin is riding across town with a little single track on the weekends, this will treat you nicely. if youre loking for a strong frame with good upgradability, this is for you. if you want a race ready monster, definatley not for you.

Favorite Trail:   96th street trail in carmel IN

Similar Products Used:   specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   very aftermarket: rock shox psylo xc fork, race face prodigy crank with XT all around, everythings new from bar ends tobottom bracket

Submitted by Alex Starik a Cross Country Rider from Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Reasonable price, pretty good for cross country if you are not in a mood to spend like $2000 on a Santa Cruz like 1 person I know did- they ride about the same. Santa Cruz does not even perform better on roads-->its heavy and expensive

Weaknesses:    Not very good for climbs, your knees feel like they will explode and smash your ridesmates in the face. Its kinda heavy too but then it is not a Lance Armstrong bike for $500 or so.

Bottom Line:
A decent value for a decent price-no more, no less. Probably one of the better bikes in this price range. Not very good for mountain biking but fine for road biking YEah.

Favorite Trail:   crystal cove

Purchased At:   Sport-Mart

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper-much better, especially on climbs, but it is pricier->a much better deal than a Santa Cruz->geez, $2000 can buy like a used car, like a Dodge or something. $230 is just like 10 lap dances, excluding tips or 5 full nude lap dances.

Bike Setup:   Steel frame and handlebars, single suspension

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Montclair, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    Good Bike for the price, solid frame, and seemed to hold up well for what I could throw at it.

Weaknesses:    The derailers and tires both noot that great

Bottom Line:
If you are a beggining rider and you don't know what to buy go with this bike. It is not that expensive and it peforms well for it's money. I assume it could take pretty much anything I could throw at it. Though you will probaly want to change the tires and tweak the derailer.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Mills

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by jared a Weekend Warrior from Jessup

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    good price for entry level biker comfortable ride strong frame

Weaknesses:    stock tires aren't the best a bit on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
great bike for a beginner good price will have more info after continued usage good bike so far probably not good for an advanced rider

Favorite Trail:   aylesworth

Purchased At:   bill's sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from pegram,tn usa

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Mean to trails.

Weaknesses:    none yet! ok the derailer, but I'm always in first or second any way. tennessee style.

Bottom Line:
I've beat the crap out of this bike, just like my last one, it was stolen, and I thought it was time I say something about it. I'm no pro but this thing takes it with a smile and a flick of mud in your eye. If you can afford a 2,000 dollar bike then you can afford one of these, buy one and see if you can tear it up, bet you can't. And yea, I've ridden those expensive bikes, the diamondback sorrento kicks arse! in a rocky muddy kinda tennessee trail way!

Favorite Trail:   muddiest