Diamondback Outlook 2002 Hardtail

3.27/5 (22 Reviews)

Submitted by jodebane a Cross Country Rider from Newton, Massachusetts, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2011

Strengths:    Has gotten me going down all sorts of easy to intermediate trails at a good price.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Chain has come off, front brake has been busted

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike, but I sometimes wish I had something higher end. This is my first bike so Its done ok getting me into mountain biking, but I am planning on buying something better. But for the price, its a decent deal because this bike does the job, even if it doesn't do it as well as a good bike should.

Favorite Trail:   Local trails around boston

Purchased At:   Centre Ski and Bike

Submitted by BigV a Cross Country Rider from OH

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    Pretty good components for this price range.
Kenda Klaw tires are surprisingly good in mud and snow.

Weaknesses:    Grips and twist type shifters.
Cable routing (on 2005 model)

Bottom Line:
It's a good, cheap bike. I'm putting slicks on it and using it for the street only. I think with maintenance it will last a long time.
Mine is a 2005, and has a little better components than the newer ones you get at Dicks.
I've had this bike on trails, and you can see it's limitations very quickly. I don't think a bike under $400 would last very long off road anyway.
It led me to an interest in mountain biking, but I still wouldn't recommend it as an entry level bike. Look around for a $400 - $600 bike as an entry level.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   Handy Bikes

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by John Cu a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Nice aluminum frame, good handle bars.

Weaknesses:    Shimano gears but not anything extraordinary. Average gears.

Bottom Line:
Ok I bought this bike at a Pawn shop in Vegas because 1) it was a Diamondback which are popular bikes here in Las Vegas 2) it has a 20" frame which can be kind of hard to find in Sports Authority or wherever here. Don't know why except there are more selections for the medium size frames than large. OK this bike needed work as I bought it used so I sent it to Bike world to fix its problmes. All said I saved maybe $20 over buying it brand new but I think I rescued a bike worth saving. Its a red frame so an older bike as in 2002 - 2004. Great for cruising around town here or some light trail riding; definitely wouldn't reccommend it for rough mountain trails. Light to moderate trails ok.

Favorite Trail:   Las Vegas Boulevard

Purchased At:   EZ Pawn

Similar Products Used:   Gitane (ok not really a MTB)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by chethammer a Cross Country Rider from Toledo, Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Good price point, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Breaks down a low. I mean a lot. I've had it back to Dicks a dozen times to be fixed. I started out loving the bike, but now I literally hate it!

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE. YOU WILL BECOME A SLAVE TO DICKS SPORTING GOODS OR WHEREVER YOU BUY IT. I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO OTHER ADVICE AND BOUGHT A TREK OR CANONDALE AT A LOCAL SHOP.

Favorite Trail:   University Metroparks Trails

Purchased At:   Dicks

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike with street tires, otherwise completely stock

Submitted by Evenflow11 a Weekend Warrior from Oluphant, PA, US

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2010

Strengths:    Hmm..?? Low price I guess

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not durable, often shifts in and out of gear while riding, broke several spokes on some minor rough terrain.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I bought this bike not knowing whether or not I would enjoy riding which is why I spent so little. Although I came to find that the bike is a piece of trash and should not be taken on anything other than pavement and smooth dirt roads, it served its purpose for the money and now I am looking at upgrading to a Cannondale F7 CO2 disc or a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 29er. I am glad I had this bike b/c I really enjoy riding (in general) after getting used to it (sore ass, tough to get up hills), but if you have any inclination that you will stick with it, hold out for something a little better, maybe buy a used bike. Sorry Diamonback ;(

Favorite Trail:   Smoke Road

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   First Mountain Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Foot Fingers a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Weaknesses:    Heavy, weak rims, poor quality fork

Bottom Line:
I got this bike to see how much I could get into MTB, and after my first trail run its already in the shop being repaired. The back rim got bent on a 3 ft drop, and couldn't be fixed with truing. I now have to replace the back rim. I could have saved an extra $100 and got a much better bike.

Submitted by keith7747 a Weekend Warrior from Hagerstown, md., usa

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    I think it's about the same as the TREK 2200, but cost $300.00 less.

Weaknesses:    Shifting is a little noisy and some clumsly.

Bottom Line:
I would buy this over the TREK 2200. I think that's the model. Anyway, the TREK was about $300.00 more then this bike and I rate them the same all around. Performance, weight, and looks. Why pay $300.00 more for the same type of bike.......NOT ME!!
It's about the same weight as the TREK 2200.

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting

Similar Products Used:   TREK 2200

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by pretenderlex a Weekend Warrior from Rockingham West Australia

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    Solid, simple to work on and make adjustments to, Company build quality is always questioned but the frames are put together well enough. My bike was obviously left out in the weather for some time but has little rust except for the bars, chain and three or four spokes so appears to hold up well.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, slow gearing for the road

Bottom Line:
At my purchase price it is a real bargain. I will give it a good check over and pass it on to charity as I do with most bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Darling Scarp

Purchased At:   Recycling Centre

Similar Products Used:   Repco, Titan, Huffy, Aussie and any of the 100 more names that this frame is sold under (yes all made by the same company and you all know the name of it).

Bike Setup:   All standard.

Submitted by txwebguy a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Strengths:    It's borderline between a department store frame and an entry level bike. Everything can be upgraded easily to make it a very strong bike that can compete against the Sorrento and $300+ bikes

Weaknesses:    Frame is heavy, has the quill stem. Came with cheap drive train. Forks do not last long and are low travel. Rims are single wall. Pretty much everything but the frame itself is a weekness and the 2000-2002 models did not have replaceable derailleur hangers so that is a negative used.

Bottom Line:
Higher quality than department store but not suited for heavy trail riding unless modifications are done. I only did this because I had $200+ of parts laying around. It's better to buy a new bike with better components because they discount the components for you. Would recommend the Diamondback Sorrento instead.

Purchased At:   Purchased used onlin

Similar Products Used:   Marin bikes, Trek bikes

Bike Setup:   Stripped off all components and put Shimano 7 speed rapid fire shifters, Shimano LX crank, LX front derailleur, Acera rear derailleur, Alex double wall rims with alloy hubs, tektonic V brakes, 8 speed cassette for now.

Submitted by Jake Leatherman a Weekend Warrior from Richland MI, Unites States

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Made all together very well. Comfortable, nice breaking, nice suspension,nice tires,nice rims, I truly feel safe on this bike...there has been bikes ive purchased that felt like they would fall apart from under me...This bike feels nice and sturdy

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. If your under 200 pounds get this bike. If your over 200 then I would pick a diffrent bike, this bike isnt as good for people over 200 pounds. I go mountain biking at fort custor in michigan. This bike has handles everything ive thrown at it. Ive gone flying down hill off jumps and it has done fine...Ive been thru water, mud, sand, loose sand,loose rocks,dirt,jumps,logs, you name it this bike has done and it has handle them with out a problem

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custor

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Cheaper bikes

Submitted by Jarett Prescesky a Cross Country Rider from North Battleford Sk. Canada

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    nice light strong frame,i got the dark grey color..its really sharp and looks good..its light and is easy to do cat walks.. ive gone 2 blocks in the first night... nice bike

Weaknesses:    the forks need a touch more travel and a bit more solid.. other then that..i havent had any other ideas/thoughts..have heard that the rims are week and are no good for drops and jumps.. i hope that i am hearing wrong

Bottom Line:
over all, i think its pretty sweet..the feeling takes a bit to get used to..havent taken many jumps yet.. but its nice for cat walks,hops, and trying new things.. i would recomend it to another person

Favorite Trail:   city streets and drops of my own

Purchased At:   Leisure Time

Similar Products Used:   Norco Scrambler

Bike Setup:   its nice.. i wish the front tire was a bit farther ahead.. but its nice..good for a person who likes to try things..and a good bike..well worth the money

Submitted by Tatiana a Weekend Warrior from Cp, NY

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    There isn't any

Weaknesses:    The bikes sucks and they've been replaced. The seat was horrible so I had to replace it. The gears don't shift right. The chain falls off.

I HATE THIS BIKE.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't even want my little brother to ride this.

Purchased At:   Neighbor's

Submitted by darren a Weekend Warrior from dayton, oh

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    good value and durability for the money, depending on the type of riding you plan on doing.

Weaknesses:    Does not stand up to harder trail riding

Bottom Line:
Let's face it: 200 is about as little as you can spend on a new mountain bike. In a sense, you get what you pay for. For riding around town and for LIGHT trail riding (no jumps, etc), this bike is great, and stands up well. However, I started to race with this bike on trails that had pretty minor jumps and rougher terrain, and the bike could not stand up to it at all. If you are not planning on riding harder trails, you should be fine. If you are, then spend the money to get a bike that was meant for what you plan on using it for.

Favorite Trail:   John Bryan

Purchased At:   dick's

Submitted by unknown a Weekend Warrior from Orange, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    inexpensive, tough, reliable

Weaknesses:    shifting is loud(sometimes innaccurate), lots of handle bar movement

Bottom Line:
this bike is great for someone on a budget, but for an experianced rider with a deep pocket, i would not recommend this bike. because of the adjustability of the bike, it can fit many types of riders.

Favorite Trail:   my lawn