Dean USA Scout 2002 Hardtail

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Kevin Regan a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    Great climbing bike, very light,handles great on single track.Anybody can ride this bike and enjoy it.

Weaknesses:    After over 4 years of use, none that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is this, I ride full suspension Bike's, I ride aluminum bike's, and I have ridden steel bike's, but when I race or ride for more than 2 hours there is nothing that compares with this bike.When I ride with guy's that have the big duell susp. bikes and they say; as we are going up hill " wait till we hit the downhill" , I love to say to them when they finally catch up with me at the bottom of the hill "what took you so long" thier response is always,I never saw anybody ride a hard tail down hill that fast,I love this bike and after over 4 years of use it rides like the day I bought it. TI is for life.

Favorite Trail:   All of Anadale State Park

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I have a Santa Cruz full suspensin bike I enjoy to ride over the rocky trails, but overall riding prefer the Dean.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Atom bomb Z-2 front forks, XTR component group, Ringle hubs front and rear with Mavic 36 spoke downhill rims, (I hate trueing rims).Chris King headset,Thompson Elite seat post, Ritchey lite handle bars,Kore Elite stem.

Submitted by Luke from Maine

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    This is the best handling bike/frame I've ever ridden. The ti soaks up trail chatter. It's light, fast, it climbs well...it does everything a bike should do well. The welds are excellent and it looks beautiful :)

Bottom Line:
I've put about 50 hard miles on it so far and I'm already in love. There is something to be said for finishing a long ride and not feeling fatigued in the slightest...my aluminum bike would leave me feeling sore; the smooth ride of the Scout does not give me 'sore butt' in the slightest. The bike handles much better than my previous rigs. It gives me more confidence and I ride much better on it - not to mention faster.

When you call DEAN, you get a real person on the phone who actually knows the product. Very cool. John and Pete are great! :)

For the money, there are no other titanium rides to consider. Just buy one! You'll thank me later.

Purchased At:   DEAN