Cannondale Terra 2002 Hardtail

4.22/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by Brent Obst a Cross Country Rider from Winchester VA USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Strengths:    verry fun to ride, great bike, strong, jumps well, has not broken yet, and I ride it way to hard!!

Weaknesses:    no travle in the front, dosnt have much tire room, no disk,

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike, but I just finnished "breaking in" the head shock, as in I just blew it out. it really cant handel big jumps or drops. it is a great trail bike, its light, and easy to ride. I acualy like how the blown out head shock rides better that when it was new, you can get more travle out of it lol.
this is a great bike I would tell anyone to buy it, just dont be to hard on it, its not made to free ride. but im going to put a marzocchi Z1 FR or a DJII, with disk in the front and V in the rear lol it should work well, its a good frame.

Favorite Trail:   "the Cove"

Purchased At:   element sports

Similar Products Used:   hmmm, tuff one, I dont know

Bike Setup:   new saddle, GEAX blade 2.0 up front(bairly fits), GEAX support 2.5 in the rear, a blown out head shoch, and a bent big cog

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Darien, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Strengths:    I like this bike. The frame is light and strong. I do a lot of off road riding and it holds up pretty well.

Weaknesses:    the frame and fork are not disc brake compatible, the stock tires (mosquitos) aren't that good

Bottom Line:
I dont really like the headshock because it only has 60 mm of travel (its good for less intense trails) but the frame is awsoome. ive had the bike i think for 3 years now and it has held up really well. if you start getting into drops etc. i recommend getting the deore singletrack rims (much stronger)

Purchased At:   Outdoor Sports

Similar Products Used:   this is my first bike that is good. i started geting into offroad about 4 years ago and had a fully rigid peugot. i have, however compared it to some specialized hardtails i tested.

Bike Setup:   manitou axel fork, shimano deore singletrack rims, cane creek headset, raceface stem, new seat (the ones that the 2004 F series has), shimano deore shifters and deraileurs.

Submitted by Arrwin Yip a Weekend Warrior from Flushing, NY, US

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light frame, color of frame (Team Yellow), strong and stiff frame.

Weaknesses:    Not disc brake compatible, only 60mm of suspension travel, comes with flat pedals.

Bottom Line:
I've only had this bike for a few months and I'm beginning to like this bike more everytime I ride it! I tried negotiating the price as much as I could as this was a 2002 leftover. The weather has been extremely wet in NY ever since I got my bike, but I try to get out there every glimpse of nice weather. I have mostly been doing street riding, but have gotten the trail twice so far. Let me tell you...is it fun! The only thing I sometimes dread is the ride out to the trails!

PROS
Ok...now about the bike. When I started looking, I wasn't looking to spend a lot so somewhere in the $400 range. The
Terra caught my eye with the Team Yellow (I was looking from something loud) color hanging from the ceiling of the shop. I know it's the low-end of the Cannondale line, but the craftmanship extends down the totem pole. I really liked the signature thick tubing, the lightness and stiffness of the frame, and the "Handmade in the USA" was just a bonus. Like everyone said, the components (mostly Deore) could be better at this price point, but I think the frame makes up for it. The components can always be upgraded, but the frame is the meat of the bike. Many hear dislike the stock seat (Selle Royal Gel), but I think it feels comfortable and haven't had any pains. I do agree that it does look like a granny seat.

CONS
This will be rather short, since I don't have too much to gripe about. The couple of things I do have, are that the fork is not disc brake compatible. Since the trend seem to be toward disc brakes, I would eventually like to upgrade to discs in the future, but that would not be possible. The suspension only has 60mm of travel where most bikes are standard at 80mm. This is fine for me as I only weigh 140lbs and don't plan to do any downhill, only trails. This however, can be a problem for heavier and more aggressive riders. The final minor gripe is the bike came stock with flat pedals. As a beginner mtb'er this is fine, but at this price clipless should be stock. My pedals will be upgraded soon.

All in all, this bike rocks. Get it if you're looking for a beginner/intermediate mtb'er. Get it if you're looking for a light, stiff, and durable hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Haven't XC enough yet!

Purchased At:   Bellitte Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd Trek 4500, 4900, Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, K2 2.0, Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   Everything stock, except for rear derailleur which was changed to LX at the dealer.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from trg

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    frame is stiff and light. Cannondale warranty.

Weaknesses:    crank, seat, chain, and tires could all be better, but for the price it's a good bike.

Bottom Line:
The tires were replaced after 100 miles. My biggest problem though was the crank. It pooped on me after 3 weeks. The local shop warrantied it so I am not complaining. Great bike over all.

Favorite Trail:   mine

Bike Setup:   full deore, selle itala seat

Submitted by Tim Curry a Weekend Warrior from Seminole OK

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, price, colors, smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Front and Rear Der. Upgraded to XT at the shop. Tires

Bottom Line:
It is a good bike for long trips on highway, Its light and stong frame is the best part of the bike. The factory Der. could be better. The seat does not bother me but i dont take it to the trails much. I put about 175 miles per weak on it and have had not major problems yet.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shopee Shawnee OK

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Walter a Weekend Warrior from Washington

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2002

Strengths:    The C'dale frame is stiff and very light. While the components are not the cream of the crop, they work fine for the weekend warrior.

Weaknesses:    THE SEAT, Replaced this items and also have a shock mounted seatpost on order. The handle bars are being replaced with Easton Grahphite Monkey XC bars and the stem to a 140MM/20 deg due to getting a better fit. One annoying this is that there is some noise while banking in the turns, not sure if it is the design, of something that can be eliminated during a tune-up.

Bottom Line:
Great Value if you can get one on sale like I did.

Purchased At:   Pacific Bike

Similar Products Used:   Loaner Gear

Bike Setup:   Factory except for the following:
Replaced the seat and I also have a shock mounted seatpost on order. The handle bars are being replaced with Easton Grahphite Monkey XC bars and the stem to a 140MM/20 deg due to getting a better fit. After that (for me) this will be great!!!

Submitted by Brian Nelson from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    Strong and light frame, overall quality bike

Weaknesses:    seat was awful

Bottom Line:
Love the bike for the light trails. Would have to make some upgrades to head for the serious trials

Favorite Trail:   Minor Park

Purchased At:   Wheeler's

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   Stock - upgraded seat and Rock Shox suspension (MTB) seatpost.

Submitted by Gene a Weekend Warrior from Newport News, VA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:    Strong. Takes a lot of punishment from a beginner (I replaced the handle bars after buckling them on a downhill log jump).

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen

Bottom Line:
Bought it not knowing if I really wanted to go offroad, planned to do primarily road riding for exercise (keep down blood pressure and weight as I enter my 60's). Loved riding it off road.Ride as often as my schedule allows. It takes a beating and keeps going. Being new at MTB, I crash a lot on log jumps, switchbacks, etc. Got the bike on sale. Spent the savings on helmet, gloves, etc.

Purchased At:   Contes Bikes Newport News

Similar Products Used:   none (gave away a 1973 model Fuji S10S when I bought the C'dale)

Bike Setup:   Stock, extra set of wheels for road use. Running IRC Mythos XC tires on the local hardpack and leaves.

Submitted by Fletch from nowhere

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Diggin It

Submitted by Matt from Oakland, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Stock model needs upgrades.

I dropped 900$ in it. I should have just bought a Jekyll, but this is what I got and I am making the best of it. Put on a new shock like I did. I would recommend the 80mm of trav w/ lockout. New brakes. New Tires. New rims, new deraillers, new shifters and a 9 gear cassette would be great, but that's probably another 900$. It's a good hardtail and light. Good on the roads and on the trails so I'll keep it and get a Jekyll in a couple of years when I move out West. Stay Stoked and keep riding......does anyone read these things........???

Submitted by Bongo Dongo Poopski a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Frame. Strong and Light. Hot paint Job.

Weaknesses:    Everything but, however they are decent.
8 cassette drive train

Bottom Line:
The bike is now ready to roll. Once the new shock gets in and I replace the entire drivetrain it'll be gravy. Technique is really the key with this bike. You can't be too reckless, the bike will hold up to an extent, but you won't. With the added bar ends it's great on the road and even better on the uphills. I am learning to love my Cannondale. The frame is real light and I am starting to learn more about how it rides everytime. I will make another update after I get the new shock and ride it for a couple of weeks.

3 flamin chilis b/c of all the money I dumped into upgrades
4 flamin chilis b/c the bike is pretty damn good.

Favorite Trail:   Cannonball

Purchased At:   Cycle Sport

Bike Setup:   Continental Exp front tire. Cont. Twister Back Tire. LX front Der. Deore Rear Der. ( Those need to be upgraded). Upgraded Shimano XTR brakes and LX levers. Specialized bar ends. Lookin gel seat (upgraded). Shimano clipin pedals (upgraded). Have ordered a new headshox to fit inside the t-Bone. Cannondale sells it. 199$ you keep the existing fork but upgrade the inside to 80 mm of travel and on-the-fly lockout. Still waiting for that. Avilio Shifters.

Submitted by Bongo a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    Light. Fast. Fun XC bike for intermidiate trails.

Weaknesses:    No rear suspension. Front Shock has 60mm of travel only. The stock components aren't that great.

Bottom Line:
After riding it for some time more I found that the bike is really not made for hard off-road and especially not harsh downhill. Jumping or drops, forget about it if it's serious. It's good on single track with some rocks and roots....it'll cruise pretty well. I do take it on harsh downhills and off big drops, but the shock bottoms out and my back is killing me from downhill. I would recommend this bike to a teenager who is just staring up but since my budget is tight it will have to do for now. Peace