Cannondale F400 2002 Hardtail

4.45/5 (168 Reviews)

Submitted by Richard Megesi

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastically light, and also a great looking bike. I got it when i was 13, a decade ago, and have ridden thousands of miles and many races. Love the bike. I remember when i saw it for the first time, i knew i had to have it. The paint job is my favorite of all time, outside of the old Klein bikes.

Weaknesses:    The Magura brakes. They were fantastic for a few years, but then on a really hairy decent half way through a race, the seal on my front brake went out. That sucked. It sucked even more that you cant buy the seal, and a new brake lever assembly was like $200. At the time I took it back to the shop where i bought it and they bled the system and replaced the pads. Magura brakes are "not servicable" so my mechanic thought that it just needed to be bled. After much bleeding of the brakes over a few years, i took them apart and saw that the seal was bad. At the time i was in college and did not have the money to replace the brake lever assembly, so the bike was rendered un-ride-able. I would get some brakes that can be serviced so you wont be stuck buying a whole new assembly.

Bottom Line:
My favorite bike, enough said. The kind of bike you can fall in love with.

Submitted by alexrodrod a Cross Country Rider from tecate, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    muy buena en camino ancho, y rapida, buena para bajadas con mucha pendiente, es muy ligera.

Weaknesses:    lenta en veredas con curvas y con terreno no liso

Bottom Line:
not for sale

Favorite Trail:   la primavera, sinaloa, mexico

Purchased At:   Super Go

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper 2010

Submitted by adam prince a Cross Country Rider from scarborough

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Strengths:    all round very strong bike
loving the caad5 system i have the cream coloured paint job its better looking than the orange one

Weaknesses:    the knob for the suspension is a naff idea mine has split so now it wont stay up and the deore gear system what is that all about

Bottom Line:
mint bike its the best i have ever ridden would recommend it too any one

Favorite Trail:   dalby forest

Similar Products Used:   only rode carrera before

Bike Setup:   carbon seat post, hayes nine brakes, panaracer 2.1 tyres

Submitted by Tony_PDX a Cross Country Rider from Portland,Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Looks,Lefty headshok fork,weight,speed.

Weaknesses:    not comfortable on rocky trails, stock components.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for hard pack trails, very fast. a lot of fun to ride. has been awesome over the years. I love this bike. It's all about speed and I can fly on this baby :)

Favorite Trail:   Browns Camp NW Portland

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mountain ELEMENT 50
www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+ELEMENT_50

Bike Setup:   I have replaced all of the components on this bike. only the lefty is stock.

Race face Deus XC crank,Sram PC-991 Chain,Egg Beater Pedals S Classic,SRAM 9-Speed PowerGlide II Cassette,Shimano XT rear and front derailers.Mavic X3.1 Tubeless rims,DT swiss spokes,Maxxis crossmark tires,Thomson Elite seat post,Porfile design stiffy stem,Race face DEUS XC FLAT BAR,Oury lock on grips,Hope mono mini disc brakes and Titec seat. so it makes the price of this bike a grand total of about $4000.00

Submitted by Marco Hermes Peruzzi a Weekend Warrior from La Spezia, Liguria, Italy

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast and with a good geometry, extremely sharp in cross-country paths, good for races.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub broken on Mavic Crossroc, Coda components sucks, frame too weak in hard trails (broken in a weekend trail of Liguria.. it's a road bike from big store or what? Luckly I replaced it with a Jekyll (it's not a coincidence: cannondale put this frame on road bikes after one year of its birth and abandoned MTB)

Bottom Line:
Luckly I reused all components on a Jekyll used frame so I could save money buying it. Crossroc rear hub was broken after a few months, Air Lefty needs more attention than actual Max spv 140mm of Jekyll....
and at the end frame got a CRACK on rear folder riding on a medium-hard trail.
I hoped more strenght from a Cannondale

Favorite Trail:   5 terre and liguria's Trails

Purchased At:   Hot Bikes - sp - Italy

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 1° serie, Cannondale Jekyll II 600, Viner Vy pro, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to F1000: All XT components (Brakes included), Lefty DLR Air 110mm, Mavic CrossRoc, FSA V-drive, Thomson elite seatpost

Submitted by Chad VB a Cross Country Rider from Blacksburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    pretty good components, frame hasn't broken yet, 2 water bottle mounts

Weaknesses:    HEADSHOK! Cannondale's use of their own products

Bottom Line:
Would have been a good bike for light cross country use, the trails here have 2-3 foot drops, rough terrain, and fast descents. The headshok was blown after 5 or so rides here. So i went with the whole conversion to a normal fork and it is the best money you could spend on this bike. I wish cannondale would make things industry standard though, because their "innovations" thus far have not been impressive for all but the most conservative of riders.

Favorite Trail:   Brush/Gap Mountian (all)

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Minute 3 fork, 8 inch front disc, Cane Creek XC short conversion Headset, Azonic stem, 959 clipless, WTB Seat... stock everything else

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Ride, handling, excellent hydraulic disc brakes, frame welds, looks

Weaknesses:    clunky front shock

Bottom Line:
I like it. Its a little heavy, and Im not overly impressed with the head shock, but overall the bike is really good. Ive ridden it for 4 yrs now, and still havent replaced the brake pads! I dont know what people are saying about the disks, but they work very well. Very consistent stopping in any condition. Also, the deore XT equipment is very precise. Also dont know what is being said about pedals, why upgrade? very nice clipless system indeed.

currently, its in the shop getting tune up, and the head shock is leaking oil pretty bad. I think the head shock is a little clunky, but i do like ability to turn off shock on long uphills (like in northern GA, NC). guess thats price you pay to be able to disarm the shock so no bouncing on climbs.

Im liking this bike more and more each time I ride. Not perfect, but for $ its solid for intermediate rider like me.

Purchased At:   Atlanta Bicylce - bought new

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Bike Setup:   totally stock

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light, nimble, headshok is just right for me - takes the edge off bumps and can be locked out for road/long grinds.

Weaknesses:    Flexy bike with very flexy POS Coda cranks/bottom bracket. Changed them out for LX and much happier.

Bottom Line:
If you want a light nimble cross country hardtail, this takes some beating! The Cannondale parts aren't as good as their frames but hey - they unbolt!

Favorite Trail:   42 Traverse

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Velo

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rocky Ridge

Bike Setup:   not much is standard on my one - local shop built it up from a frame.

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Clovis, NM USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    2005 has great looks, solid components, disc breaks are great, head shock on/off switch is really handy, and the gearing is great for the "I want to ride to work" days, and this bike is super light, but smooth!

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle isn't the best, tires seemed a little cheesy for a $1000 bike.

Bottom Line:
I've had the bike for about 5 weeks (150 miles, mostly road and moderate trails with the street tires on right now), and it's everything I hoped for and more. The gearing is really versatile, especially for the flatter but very breezy 14 miles to/from work. The Head Shock is awesome... If you're riding on the road, and come get into a pothole mine field or you have to take an evasive turn to rougher terrain, it takes about a half second to turn the shock on and your a full-up mountain bike again. My wife and I actually bought the same bike-hers is blue, and mine is the silver riveted look a la WWII P-51-and we both really like them. Disc breaks on bikes are finally where they need to be for reliability and they stop me very quickly. My wife is 6'0" and I'm 6'3" and 225lbs, and the Cannondale frames are superior as far as looks, proportions and stiffness are concerned in the L/XL frame sizes, compared to every other bike we considered (Specialized/Trek mostly). Also, the bike just feels solid. I'm not a small dude, but I don't have to think about it twice if I want to get the bike off the ground when we're tearing around the trails or across the pavement. Taller people should consider the Cannondale frames if for no other reason than looks, but they also know what they're doing in Pennsylvania when it comes to fabricating aluminum frames. Buy this bike if you want to get a versatile, strong, great-looking ride and you want to have the off-the-shelf racing capability-this bike can move! Don't buy this bike if you don't plan on riding hard... it begs to be used for what is was designed.

Purchased At:   Plano, TX

Similar Products Used:   Test road/borrowed a few late 90s Cannondales over the past five years, and a Specialized Full Suspension, but I've only owned road bikes.

Bike Setup:   I put some street tires on it until I know I'll spend some solid time off the pavement, new Specialized saddle, pedals w/ toe clips so I can keep my normal shoes on.

Submitted by Mathijs de Wit a Cross Country Rider from The Netherland

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2004

Strengths:    Still the stiffness of the frame and the way the headshock Super Fatty works. Also the geometrie of the bike. The service of Cannondale (I've had an air leaking problem with the fork but it's changed without any costs)

Weaknesses:    The Magura Julie disc-brakes. The have been driven me (and my bike-shop specilist) completely crazy. They drag, the pistons failes several times and have lost brake power after they have been send to Magura. Endly I'm going to change them for Hope Mono Mini's now

Bottom Line:
This is a upgrade from my review of 14 december 2001. After a lot of km's I'm still very happy with this bike. Except of the Magura Julie disc brakes. They are realy less than rubbish. The bike go's where you want to go. It is functioning good in lowland's mud (we have a lot of it in The Netherlands), in middle and high-moutains (like the Alpes). The sitting position is very good, even in marathons (once I've been sitting on it about 10 hours without any problem, and you have to know that I'm having a serious backbone problem after a hard bike-crash 10 years ago). So if you don't need a fully, the F700 is still a absolute good choice.

Similar Products Used:   American Eagle Death Valley.

Bike Setup:   The main parts (frame, suspension, handle bar, wheels) are still the same as delivered from the factory. Of course I've changed a lot of parts during maintance the last years, and upgraded them, but that's nothing spectacular.

Submitted by WipeOut a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    The frames made by Cannondale are simply unmatched. I have met few to no people who actually considered making their new bike anything else than a Cannondale after they had one before. The headshock with lockout suits me fine, it is light and easy to maintain. Although I always had the feeling it was a bit too soft for my taste (I felt it lost air, even when I had adjusted it, the dealers I gave it to said there was nothing wrong with it). It is incredibly light and agile due, unmatched for that prise. But the frame and fork have been praised enough (sturdyness, looks, stiffness). Mine came with deore discbrakes right away, which were certainly not bad to start with.

Weaknesses:    I disliked the wheels, and replaced them right away. The chain did not give me any problems I have to say, and mine came with deore discbrakes right away. Of course the saddle needed replacement, as does any standard saddle I guess.

Bottom Line:
Cannondale will always be my prefered brand for a MTB, fully, or hardtail. I've ridden some very nice trek bikes, Principia, Cube etc. None of them can match the feeling a Cannondale gives. It is hard as hell, light, and textremely appealing to the eye.

In europe they are on the expensive side though, but well worth it in my opinion. That is why my value rating is a bit low, for US residents, this would be excellent I assume.

This bike is the perfect platform for the moderately experienced MTB fanatic. The frame is worth any upgrade on the bike, simply Cannondale.

Favorite Trail:   Anything demanding

Purchased At:   Bikestore in Holland

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   In the end I rode completely XT, excluding the disc brakes. The frame is well worth any upgrade as high as XT. I have bought an F800 SL now, which came with Magura hydraulic discs, otherwise I would have put some Mag's or XT's on my f500. Ritchey Bar ends, handle bar, saddle pin, Selle Italia saddle of course.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Very nimble and quick around corners/switchbacks, climbs well. Spec'd very nicely so not many upgrades are necessary.

Weaknesses:    Cables are routed on the bottom of the downtube so if its a sloppy ride you'll need to get them cleaned off or the shifting won't be smooth on the next ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike has taken a beating the past two years and still rides good as new. Its a 2x9 setup so keep in mind there is no granny gear if you've got several steep climbs. An excellent bike that climbs and handles well and can be ridden recreationally or raced.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn, Tsali, Tanasi

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Obed

Bike Setup:   XTR drive train, XT shifters, Marta Magura Brakes, Easton seatpost/handlebar, Mavic Crossmax wheels

Submitted by Zack Erickson a Cross Country Rider from Harvard, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    I love the Lockout, really helps for going up hills. Also the frame is superlight, the new Furio and Optimo are very nice but not that noticibly different.

Weaknesses:    The tires suck, no grip on anything, get some new ones (I chose Michlin Hot S). The chain also kinda sucks, in the first 2 days it came off 3 times. Brakes are ok but i replaced them with Discs.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ass, but really any cannondale with a headshock or lefty and a light frame does. There is no other bike librand like it.

Favorite Trail:   Shaker hill/Delany park