Cannondale F3000 SL 2002 Hardtail

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Richard Megesi

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastically light, and also a great looking bike. I got it when i was 13, a decade ago, and have ridden thousands of miles and many races. Love the bike. I remember when i saw it for the first time, i knew i had to have it. The paint job is my favorite of all time, outside of the old Klein bikes.

Weaknesses:    The Magura brakes. They were fantastic for a few years, but then on a really hairy decent half way through a race, the seal on my front brake went out. That sucked. It sucked even more that you cant buy the seal, and a new brake lever assembly was like $200. At the time I took it back to the shop where i bought it and they bled the system and replaced the pads. Magura brakes are "not servicable" so my mechanic thought that it just needed to be bled. After much bleeding of the brakes over a few years, i took them apart and saw that the seal was bad. At the time i was in college and did not have the money to replace the brake lever assembly, so the bike was rendered un-ride-able. I would get some brakes that can be serviced so you wont be stuck buying a whole new assembly.

Bottom Line:
My favorite bike, enough said. The kind of bike you can fall in love with.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light, nimble, headshok is just right for me - takes the edge off bumps and can be locked out for road/long grinds.

Weaknesses:    Flexy bike with very flexy POS Coda cranks/bottom bracket. Changed them out for LX and much happier.

Bottom Line:
If you want a light nimble cross country hardtail, this takes some beating! The Cannondale parts aren't as good as their frames but hey - they unbolt!

Favorite Trail:   42 Traverse

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Velo

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rocky Ridge

Bike Setup:   not much is standard on my one - local shop built it up from a frame.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Very nimble and quick around corners/switchbacks, climbs well. Spec'd very nicely so not many upgrades are necessary.

Weaknesses:    Cables are routed on the bottom of the downtube so if its a sloppy ride you'll need to get them cleaned off or the shifting won't be smooth on the next ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike has taken a beating the past two years and still rides good as new. Its a 2x9 setup so keep in mind there is no granny gear if you've got several steep climbs. An excellent bike that climbs and handles well and can be ridden recreationally or raced.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn, Tsali, Tanasi

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Obed

Bike Setup:   XTR drive train, XT shifters, Marta Magura Brakes, Easton seatpost/handlebar, Mavic Crossmax wheels

Submitted by thom a Cross Country Rider from waco, tx. US

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    Weight. Headshock tracking unbeatable. Extremely nimble- the spider-man of bikes.

Weaknesses:    Magura Marta Brakes. Drive train can be finicky if not tweaked regularly. Comes stock with 1.80 size tires. I found 2.00 to be more forgiving and satisfying.

Bottom Line:
I've put this bike through hell in 2 years and it still smiles. After slamming through rocky courses, grueling climbs and hard spills- I DO baby it at home. The MAvic UST's are good wheels, but I need a little more beef. I am switching to Crossmax XL's. I've had to send the HEadshock in once for maintenance- no service probs. Brakes don't grab to my liking and could have been designed better. I recommend the new XTR's or Hayes hydro's. This bike is for Ninjas... big guys beware.

Favorite Trail:   In TX.? ...Cameron park

Purchased At:   360 Cycleworks, Austin

Similar Products Used:   Other hard tails

Bike Setup:   Good

Submitted by Fretje a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Strengths:    Light (9,6 kg), strong, looks cool ! Good brakes and very stabile tubeless wheelset !

Weaknesses:    ??? (maybe the Hutchinson tyres)

Bottom Line:
This is a very competitive bike ! Some people don't like the front suspension, but I do !! The headshok ultra is very light (lighter then any SID !) but also very strong ! The Magura Marta-brakes are good brakes, but you have to ride a few days before you can really feel it !
Don't try to follow me uphill !!!

Favorite Trail:   Houffalize

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F2000SL

Bike Setup:   Almost original, just a SLR-seat and Extralite bar-ends, maybe another crank and eggbeaters in the future.

Submitted by James Deatherage a Cross Country Rider from Everett, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great climber, This bike kicks serious ass!

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
This is the best Bike I have ever ridden! I ride a good 60 to 100 miles a week on this bike and it never wants to give up..I've ridden full suspension bikes and hardtails up and down trails and logging roads but this frame handles the best out of all of them! dosen't matter what I'm doin it's the Sh*@ know what I mean....I defintly recommend this bike to anyone who likes to ride and I mean RIDE! not toy around and complain, I suggest to some of these riders to get a good mechanic because these problems I hear sound like there from poor mechanics building these bikes or the consumer messing them up...I guess I'm lucky I have a great mechanic...Props to Glen down at CYCLOTOPIA you rock man!

Favorite Trail:   Southridge (Corvallis, OR)

Purchased At:   CYCLOTOPIA

Similar Products Used:   Other Hardtails...Blah Blah....

Bike Setup:   Large F3000SI, Nothing is stock on this bike so maybe thats why my review is a satisfied one...I have a XT bottom bracket w/ Richey WCS crankset, XTR shifters and derailers w/ Goretex cables and housings (cause I live in the wet Pac NW), Hope C2 disc brakes (thats right a closed system and I love em') Richey OCR Disc specific wheelset that I've made tubeless (that really rocks!!) And the rest is pretty common stuff like a Terry Fly saddle w/ Thompson Elite post and Titec straight bar w/ richey wcs bar ends...

Submitted by Buster McCrae a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    It rips, when it stays in one piece. had no problems in first 3wks. great suspension

Weaknesses:    Frame broke in TWO places when I landed off a 12ft rock formation. I weigh 170lbs...Factory would not replace it under warranty even though it was only a month old. Check the welds for inconsistences. My bike's frame was definately not welded right. If you break it in two places at once, dont expect them to believe you...

Bottom Line:
Was an awesome bike until frame broke. Was surprised that factory would not fix or replace frame. It's not what you would expect after buying a high-end ride like this. Otherwise, awesome bike with plenty of potential.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Coast Hammel

Purchased At:   friend of shop owner

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz full susp. Cannondale hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock except tires

Submitted by Edward a Cross Country Rider from Charlottesville, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Everything! CAD5, brakes, components

Weaknesses:    The stock tires are a little weak for the everyday use, but they'd rock on just the right race course.

Bottom Line:
>> THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

I had an '01 F2000 that was great, but this one is even better. The Marta's work way better than the old CODA's, and CAD5 is hands down the BEST hardtail frame money can buy! Do yourself a favor and buy one of these. The fork is great, light, stiff, industry leading steering, and best of all, I've only put air in it ONCE! That's right, it's held for months on end. The bike is super light, nimble, responsive, and has that fully-integrated Cannondale feel (now if it only had the HollowGram :) ). Super comfy ride that doesn't lose any power from the soles of your feet to the ground. A totally unmatched ride with excellent craftsmanship and superb quality; there's a reason they say:

Cannondale: World Championship--Proven.

Go experience it for yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Element Sports, Winchester, VA

Similar Products Used:   numerous Cannondales, hardtail and f/s

Bike Setup:   as is, out of the box

Submitted by matt a Racer from durham, NH

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Tubeless, headshok, disc only

Weaknesses:    havent found any yet

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for climbing and can still rip on the downhills. the tubeless tires take some of the edge off the rough trails here on the east coast. the bike performs great, and is an ideal bike for the serious mountain biker.

Similar Products Used:   none really

Bike Setup:   pretty much what came with the bike is still on there.

Submitted by FredV a Cross Country Rider from Lyon, France

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    Great geometry : much more stable than my previous F2000
Fast & responsive but very comfortable too (thanks to tubeless wheels I guess)
It looks really great :-)

Weaknesses:    Skiny 24 spokes Wheels : This is MTB !
Pricey

Bottom Line:
First, this is the better MTB I ever had.

I was a bit worried about the tubeless tires and the disk brakes (Marta), but both work really great, even in very "mountainous" conditions (see www.transmaurienne.com).

It seems that Cannondale made some improvement on their geometry, the bike is much more stable than my F2000 was.

Favorite Trail:   www.transmaurienne.com

Similar Products Used:   '98 Cannondale F2000
Specialized M2

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, 32h DT 240 hubs with Mavic X3.1, Thompson seatpost, Time pedals.

Submitted by Andy Haynes a Cross Country Rider from Anniston, AL USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Strengths:    Handling and climbing performance.

Weaknesses:    Michelin Tires that came stock.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a very light nimble handling ride that loves to climb. With the UST wheelset running the air pressure around 30psi takes alot of the kick out of rough descents. The component selection is excellent and I really love the Magura brakes.

However I did have the dealer swap the Michelin Comp S tires for the Hutchinson Scorpions. Thats the beauty of doing bussiness with your local bike shop.

I strongly recommend this bike for the serious xc-biker.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain State Park

Purchased At:   Fun Wheels

Similar Products Used:   1999 Cannondale Super V 700. 1998 GT Aggressor.

Bike Setup:   Magura Marta brakes. Thompson seat post. XTR/XT components. Changed to Hutchinson Scorpion tires.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    Nice and stiff. Looks oh so pretty. Discs. Lefty =3.

Weaknesses:    Some like to say the coda comps are a weakness, haven't had a problem.

Bottom Line:
The dale I wished I could own... and now I do! Yay for me. Leftys are the most wonderfull thing in the world, even above air. Cannondales are the most spectacular bikes. I just hope I don't crash it, no warranty on second hand stuff but hey, can't beat that price.

Favorite Trail:   Err you know.. That one?

Purchased At:   This guy I met

Similar Products Used:   99' F1000, Giant Rincon (wooo)

Bike Setup:   Well quite clearly not stock from what I've read =P. XT Front, pods, cassette, XTR, rear, post, Titec hellbent riser, Coda cranks, Lefty DLR, Mavic 317's.

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Pretty light. Great climber. Cannondale’s front suspension. Good rear stay design. Nice looking paint job (blue fades to white).

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the F3000 Sl frame only (explained below). This frame is would be great for the XC racer or demanding XC rider. Great handling frame set with excellent climbing capabilities! The CADD 5 frame is far improved from the CADD 3 I use to ride. The seat stays and chain stays do a good job of offering some comfort and control for a hardtail. They are thin and are designed to flex when needed. Fantastic handling and front suspension. And for the paint job - pretty cool and other riders have confirmed so. BTW this is a disk brake ONLY frame set (no v-brakes bosses).

I got this frame as a Cannondale warranty from my 1996 CADD 3 frame that started a crack in the seat stay. They didn't even ask questions about abuse. I was offered a new CADD 4 frame or $600.00 towards any Cannondale product. Cannondale now has me as a life long customer!

Similar Products Used:   1996 Canndale CADD 3 frame (F700).

Bike Setup:   Chrisking ISO hubs w/Mavic X317. Avid mech disk. XT components.

Submitted by Johnny Ocasio a Racer from DFW ,Texas

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    Ultra light,fast,predictable,most of all best climber on this class.

Weaknesses:    I got one of the first bike in the shop back in 2001 so it came with hayes what makes it better braker but too heavy for a race XC class bike.

Bottom Line:
It's a pure racer bike,best on this class,hard to beat this weight on a disc brake bike,cosmetically nice looking bike, no V brake mount.I'm a 200 lb. rider on this bike climbs seems to feel shorter.it geometry locates me just the way I was looking for, long slope top tube,short solid chain stays and S- shaped flexible seat stay makes on seat riding feel more confortable but in standing sprints this bike is a rocket...

Favorite Trail:   north shore,Grapevine.

Purchased At:   Wheel and fitness