Cannondale F2000 2002 Hardtail

4.64/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by mike roberts a Weekend Warrior from atlanta

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    best fork (knife?) ive ever ridden. i can go over 1.5" bumps on roads and not feel it at all. lockout also really useful for climbing. feels light; climbs much better than a 25 lb bike; feels more like 10-15 lbs.

Weaknesses:    i don't like the brakes that much as soon as i get money i'm buying new ones, but i'm screwed with the 4-bolt cannondale rotors; i haven't quite decided what to do yet. the single-piston brakes are hard to adjust to get it braking really good, and it has an annoying tendancy to change while you're riding. i can't get air to stop leaking into the back brake line either. mine came with 2 front gears instead of three and sometimes it's hard to get it to upshift well

Bottom Line:
best bike i've ever ridden. i found mine lightly used for 900, but i would buy it 2500 new if had the money. seems like you can get different component depending on the place you buy it from; if you can, i'd stay away from the coda brakes, mine, at least, can't brake hard enough.
but it's a great bike: BUY IT

Purchased At:   bought used, but Atlanta Cycling

Similar Products Used:   can't remember what they are called; maybe cannondale raven? also trek Y something

Bike Setup:   stock; lefty elo ti, coda expert gears and brakes etc., xtr shifters and deraillers, caad 5 frame

Submitted by Louis a Racer from Wooster

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2003

Strengths:    All around light weight bike

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike off a friend for the amazing price of 600. After riding it for a season i completely rebuilt it and now it is basically a completely new bike. I have had no proiblem with it it is a very fast an responsive bike. Overall if you have the money to buy one go for it it is a deal for the money

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Purchased At:   from friend

Similar Products Used:   other mtb

Bike Setup:   XT front XTR rear XT crank with egg beaters

Submitted by Dwain Porter a Cross Country Rider from Overland Park, KS USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    LEFTY FORK, Light Frame. VRO Handlebar & stem system.

Weaknesses:    Drop outs SUCK!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike but I cannot get my problem resolved! The problem is that no matter how tight you get the rear skewer(only one since I have a Lefty) the axle shifts in the drop outs. This causes the front of the tire to shift left & almost rub the left side chain stay. The drop outs are sloppy and do not fit the axle well.

I have tried different skewers & replaced the axle nuts hoping for a better grip on the frame. No luck! I believe that the Hays hydraulic brake torque steers the wheel & hub axle to the left & no skewer can compete with that! The drop outs are sloppy!

I've been finding out that many fellow riders with CAAD 5 frames in my area are having to get their frames replaced do to this constant shifting. It simply eats out the frame over time.

IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM PLEASE EMAIL ME!
Cannondale says I'm the only one that they have seen with this problem.

Favorite Trail:   Blue River Parkway

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   GT, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rich a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, fork, paintwork,

Weaknesses:    Coda crank, cable guides to lefty disc

Bottom Line:
The Bees Knees. If you have the money buy one, great fun, excellent pace, in XS size the perfect jump, dirt, street, courier, slalom, trail and XC bike. Shame the British weather doesn't allow more days of riding in the sun. Definately a 7 out of 5

Favorite Trail:   Urban/Dirt

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Orange MsIlse, Orange Patriot, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Azonic DS1, Cannondale Super V 4000

Bike Setup:   Azonic flats, Mavic rims, Tioga factory treads, Race Face cranks and rings, Hope DH discs

Submitted by Radar a Racer from NE Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    Great price (Got a leftover 2001 model), great handlebar/stem spec, good brakes and drivetrain, sweet frame/fork combo.

Weaknesses:    Fork is a little weird at first, 2001 model could have better wheels and maybe a Shimano crank?

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for a little over 2 months now. I'm a racer and I use my mtb to train on the road, I have around 100 hours on the bike now. It is a great, solid package that can handle more extreme xc courses than the average mtb race bike. It is normally around $2600, I got last years model (2001), an incredible deal, for $1500 plus tax. I'll review it in separate parts:

Frame and fork: The frame is super springy and makes the bike climb much better than it's 24.5 lb weight. I didn't notice this until my riding buddy (with a 22 lb Stumpy pro) got on this bike and said how good it felt climbing- I got on his bike and it felt really dead compared to my frame. Even though this complete bike is a bit heavy, the frame is light and it never feels like 24+ lbs. The fork is really nice, with great adjustability and the lockout is cool too. The only problem is that it seems to bob a little excessively, compared to forks like the Sid. On climbs when I'm pedaling hard, it will bob a little and top out at each pedal stroke...it's just a little annoying and takes some getting used to. Othwerwise, the fork is relatively light and has great, plush action for any xc course.

Wheels: My 2001 model didn't have the tubeless wheels, but it came with a decent set of Coda expert rims laced with DT spokes to their own Coda hubs. No problems so far, and I've done a couple really muddy rides. They stay in true pretty well but I don't worry about that as much because it doesn't have rim brakes.

Brakes/components: The drivetrain is excellent, after a muddy ride I just scrub everything down and lube the chain and it shifts good as new. I haven't needed to clean the cables, they're holding up well, and the XT front and XTR rear derailleurs never miss a shift. simply perfect! The brakes (Coda expert) are very easily adjusted and work in pretty much every condition so far, my only complaint is that in temps below 60F, they require the lever to be pulled a little farther until they activate. This is a little weird, it never happens on the Maguras I have on my other bike. As for the other things, the seat and post and headset are all acceptable, I would expect them to be a bit more high-end on a bike this price, but they hold up well...one of the bonuses on this bike is the handlebar/stem combo, it's a $200 setup that's super light and very adjustable...no problems so far, its a sweet setup. The grips and tires are nothing special but they are pretty good for stock equipment.

So there you have it! It's a great bike, but I think the value could be improved upon-Cannondales normally have slightly lower-end components for the price because they have great frames, but I expect more than a house brand saddle and seatpost on a bike of this price. Great ride for a racer who has the $$ and frequently races in bad conditions!

Favorite Trail:   They're a secret

Similar Products Used:   plenty of other high end mtbs

Bike Setup:   All stock plus a computer (with Cateye's rear mount), switch out tires depending on conditions

Submitted by Andy Mertlik a Racer from Elk Grove, IL 60007

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Lefty fork is awsome. Light, Disc brakes, Good components, They are all shimano except cranks, and front hub. No bontrager. Bontrager sucks.The Syntace bar is awsome ultimate adjustibility. The saddle is awsome.

Weaknesses:    The computer is no big deal with the new mount. The battery in the fork got loose on a rough downhill, I'm not sure if it was in tight enough. But the lock out stopped working. Easy fix but, something that slows you down in a race. Also the fork makes a clink when fully extended. And when locked out it has a little play, but I guess all forks do that. The tires wear out kind of fast. About 400-500 miles and they are gone.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike I love it. It rides like a dream, and it is not as stiff as people say.

Purchased At:   Village Cycle Sport

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Mt. Tam Disc 2001

Bike Setup:   ODI Lockjaw, Sigma BC 1400 computer, Egg beater pedals.

Submitted by Andy Mertlik a Racer from Elk Grove, IL, US

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, Tubeless, Disc brakes, Frame finish (welds)

Weaknesses:    HAve to use a 1.5 Stem, Computer mounting, found a guy on the internest who makes a mount for it.

Bottom Line:
The bike feels very good. The lockout is very functional. I like stifness of the frame. The lefty fork is very smooth, while being stiff. i don't like the Scorpion tires they don't roll very good. But other vise the bike feels good. The price is a little high unless you can get a good deal on it. We will see how it holds up.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Village Cyclesport Employe Purchase

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Mt. Tam Disc

Bike Setup:   Stock. Came with a Thompson Seat post.

Submitted by Matt Muraski a Racer from Spooner

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Strengths:    Very stiff, Lefty is plush, good components, light weight

Weaknesses:    the Hutchinson scorpions leak through the side wall

Bottom Line:
Saaaaaaaahhhhhhhwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeettttttttt!!!!!!!!!
It is by far the fastest bike I've ever ridden. Every racer should ride a bike that's this fast. If I could I'd give it a 6.

Favorite Trail:   Any place with lots of singletrak

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Riverbrook Bike and ski

Similar Products Used:   none (nothing like it)

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock with the exception of a thomson elite post and crank brothers egg beaters

Submitted by Chuck Yowell a Cross Country Rider from Campbell, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    frame geometry, welds, craftsmanship, Lefty w/lockout.. Made in USA...!!!!!

Weaknesses:    CODA discs were replace by Hayes setup which operate flawlessly. Replaced the Sunrims w/ SpeedDisc and 15 AWG spokes. Rode CODA pedals for about a year and replaced w/ Time Carbon ATAC.. Awesome

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'4" and about 215. I got the XL frame which seemed to fit me nice. The lefty has never failed me. It took the punishment of Sea Otter last year and numerous trails with big rocks and holes. I have skied and surfed for over twenty five years and this bike flows with me. Check out Calabazas Cyclery if you are in San Jose area and interested in Cannondale. Very nice folks and great service!! No complaints. Actually a joy dropping entire paychecks there. I'm giving it 5 chiles overall because this toy has made me feel like a kid!

Favorite Trail:   Los Gatos Creek Trail & parallel singletracks

Purchased At:   Calabazas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Test rode Marin Eldridge Grade, Gary Fisher various models..
was impressed by Lefty and many frame sizes that Cannondale offered

Bike Setup:   In Jan of this year I got a Jekyll frame with Fox Float RL.. guys at Calabazas transferred all components to Jekyll... I'm truly in love with my ride now....!!! I mtn bike instead of surf sometimes and thats kinda sad. LOL

Submitted by Taylor Lyne a Racer from Chester, Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Strengths:    Light,Fastand very smooth in the corners. Lock-out head shock is also a plus.

Weaknesses:    If your 190+ you will eventually break the frame.

Bottom Line:
This bike has put me on the podium for every race I've been in except for 2 in the last 2 years. I would not rec. the left if you are going to race the bike. The Head shock is better in the tight single track. The next thing is stick with the Caad4 they have a life time warranty. I have broken 4 of these and had each one replaced in a week via Conties. The 5s are limited only and the weight differance does not matter. I am 6'4"195 and the bike handles great for me. Have the Head shock service every year to two years. If your in the Richmond area get the bike from Contes Ask for Mike Rosemond and tell them tha Captian Destructo sent ya.

Favorite Trail:   Pocahontas and Xterra course

Purchased At:   Contes

Similar Products Used:   Lite speed, Trek

Bike Setup:   Xtr/w517s. Xtr Ti cogg. 1.8 panracers. Standard 24/34/46 Race face rings with next lp cranks. Time carbon pedals. Thompson stem and post. Flight ti. saddle. Scram 9.0sl. Avid Ti Brakes and levers. Easton straight bar with carbon fiber bar ends. Size Xlg. Weight 22-23lbs

Submitted by Dwain Porter a Cross Country Rider from Overland Park, KS USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Strengths:    Light wieght, 100 mm lefty, tubless wheels, ELO

Weaknesses:    The rear drop outs seem a little sloppy, I'm having trouble with the rear wheel track to the left. This causes the brake to rub slightly and the tire to come very close to the chain stay. I loosen the skewer, put the hub back in straight, & retighten it. But after riding for a short while it starts all over again.

I also believe the wheels should be a bit stronger.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike even for the money. I am very worried about the rear drop out problem! Don't get me wrong. I love this bike. But I'm not totaly satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   Minor Park

Purchased At:   BIKE SOURCE

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by Sean Henderson a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, light, Hayes disk brakes, tubeless wheels, lefty with electronic lockout (not that I use it), looks, altogether very sweet ride

Weaknesses:    Crankset/chain, I would prefer larger diameter spokes/brass nipples on a disk wheelset with only 24 spokes

Bottom Line:
I recommend this bike to anyone who can afford it. It's a good as hardtails get, the curved seatstays do noticeably soften the ride. Who could say anything bad about the Lefty except maybe that it attracts alot of attention. The only change I'd recommend for the bike is the crankset and chain. The stock Coda crank is light but flexy and the chainrings are very weak - mine warped so much that the chain came off the outer ring and wrapped around the crankarm - an XT Hollowtech is a great match for the bike and looks sweet. I'm a little worried about the Shimano chain but so far no problems.

The ultimate hardtail, very stiff and responsive, plush ride. Pricey but worth it.

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   '01 Gary Fisher Tassajara - nice inexpensive bike

Bike Setup:   Stock except for XT Hollowtech crankset

Submitted by cole a Racer from easley

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    lefty w\elo, tubeless wheels, xtr\xt, octalink cranks, stem handle bar set up

Weaknesses:    only thing that kinda is bad is I weigh 165lbs and am 6'3' so I have a jumbo frame which has a neg spring for 215+ lbs on the lefty

Bottom Line:
Holy carp what a ride. 100mm of plush left travel is nice. Not exactly the best value but look at those polished welds...hmm hmm good!

Favorite Trail:   dirt