Trek Fuel 90 WSD 2002 Full Suspension

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Dana Lopez a Weekend Warrior from Tustin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    Geometry, shorter cranks for shorter legs, narrower grips for small hands. Shorter top tube.

Weaknesses:    Could do with a lockout on rear shock for climbs.
Wimpy grips.
LX shifters.
Wheelsets (hubs, etc.)ARE NOT disc brake ready, though the frame is. Upgrading to disc brakes is a pricey project, if one goes that route.

Bottom Line:
Now I dust climbs like never before, even without a lockout on the rear shock. The geometry DEFINITELY makes a difference to a petite (5'2", 115 lb) rider.

Would only recommend upgrading shifters and front der. from LX to XT. And some may tire quickly of V-brake set-up and opt for a pricey upgrade to disc brakes.

A pleasure to ride. And, makes me a better rider!

NOTE: If you're into DH, this of course ain't for you, but you already know that, right? It's geared toward top-notch recreation and XC.

Favorite Trail:   Carbon Canyon

Purchased At:   Jax

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper (women's). Specialezed FSRxc (women's)

Bike Setup:   Rear Der: Shimano XT.
Front Der: Shimano LX
Shifters: Shimano LX
Front shock: Rock Shok Duke XC
Rear shock: Fox Float.
Brakes: Avid V-brake
Bontrager wheelset, grips, saddle (stock)

Submitted by Hanh a Weekend Warrior from Orange County

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Strengths:    I am 5'3" and 110lbs. and this bike fits and handles the best for me. I found the shorter top tube and the light weight of the bike for a full suspension a big plus especially for those climbs. Blew away the guys on the climb. The Canondale also has a WSD full-suspension Jekyll model that I also really liked. Went w/ the Trek Fuel 90 WSD however because it fit better and was a little lighter.

Weaknesses:    No real weakness so far except that after one muddy ride the brakes began to squek a little. I think the solution is just to upgrade to disc brakes though. Also, would make a great bike even greater if you could lock out the rear shokes for occassions where you could use the stiffness of a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
I really recommend this for a smaller woman who is looking for a full-suspension. Try to get it with disc brakes if you can especially if you live in rainy weather. Otherwise, I haven't really found the need to change anything so far for weekend warrior + rides.

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Canondale Jekyll WSD model

Submitted by Barbara a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Strengths:    This frame is super small, which is perfect for me, so my handling is excellent. Also, I love the fork (Manitou Black Diva). It corners really well (probably because of my XS frame size) and descending on this bike is a dream (I rode hardtail before this).

Weaknesses:    That rear shock needs a lockout. There are just times when I don't want the bob when I'm climbing.

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike again, but it won't really be the best it could be until I upgrade some of the stock components and switch out to a rear shock with a lockout. This bike won't disappoint you, especially if you are a small woman who loves to ride technical stuff but has a problem finding a bike that has easy handling.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Teresa County Park, Cinderella/Chaparral in Joaquin Miller

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   I tried the Superlight (Small) and the Juliana by Santa Cruz. Also tried the Sugar 2, a hardtail Trek 8000, and a Cannondale Jekyll. This bike just fit me the best and gave me the most confidence

Bike Setup:   All stock except I upgraded to an XTR rear derailleur and Shimano 959 pedals (which are the greatest pedals ever)

Submitted by James Hamann from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    I purchased this bike for my wife - she loves it. Excellent fit, comfort, - she loves it.

Weaknesses:    Terrible chain suck with the Bontrager cranks, chainrings. It's ruined the paint on the chainstays. Change to Shimano before you start riding !!!!

Fair weight for the price, if Trek made the same bike with XT, Rock Shox SID for a higher price we would have bought it !

Bottom Line:
Great bike - just change the crank and rings !

Purchased At:   ProBike, Bangkok

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Santa Cruz

Bike Setup:   NEW XT CRANKS ! - otherwise stock

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Strengths:    Sweet Ride. Sturdy frame design and decent component mix.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain. Drivetrain. Drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my wife this past Spring and she loves it except for one major problem. When shifting from the middle ring up front to the small ring, the chain skips past the small ring and gets wedged between the small ring and the frame. Nearly impossible to extract (had to remove the chainrings once!). Several shop adjustments and a replacement frame from Trek and the problem persists. Perhaps we should try replacing the Bonti cracks with Shimano. We're at wits end with this one. Never had any problems with the Rockhopper, but the ride doesn't compare.

This is a great bike for the vertically challenged that have had problems finding a bike that fits them. Standover height and component spec (Manitou Black Diva) are excellent for shorter riders as are the smaller grips.

Would have given a better review, except for the nagging drivetrain problems. I expected better from a $1500 bike.

Favorite Trail:   Priest Lake

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Transit

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper hardtail. Great starter bike.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Cozmic Coyote a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    designed for a woman [i purchased the bike 4 my wife as a christmas gift]

Weaknesses:    plain looking, more colors needed

Bottom Line:
my wife flys over an up trails she had struggled on B 4. if offered with full XTR this machine would B the #1 bike 4 women it could B called the WSD 100+

Favorite Trail:   Wolverine Pass

Purchased At:   Pat's Cyclery Mesa Az

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Specialized SB1 Cactus Control Comp tires,

Submitted by KP from Dulce,NM

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry for women, less stress on lower back. 100mm of travel with Manitou Black Elite makes for comfortable ride with speed in choppy territory. Tracks incredible.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager crank set.Took a while to become acustomed to more upright WSD frame design. But once dialed in, perfect.

Bottom Line:
Bought bike.Was getting chain-suck with Bontrager crank. Told bike shop.They contacted Trek who immediately sent out new LX Hollowtech crank. Shop changed bottom bracket and derailer to fit new crank entire process finished, within 4 days back riding. Now that is service. Trek and Juan's were great! Haven't had a problem since. If you want a great cross country women's bike that does it all for the high end recreational rider look no further,just switch out the crank set for LX or pay extra to upgrade to XT before leaving the bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   Southern SanJuan Mtns.

Purchased At:   Juan's Mtn Sports , Pagosa Sprgs, CO

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Rockadile.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager crank set traded for LX Hollowtech, otherwise stock.

Submitted by Mélanie a Cross Country Rider from Acton Vale, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    The color scheme, the geometry especially for woman (At least for a little person like me), the Diva Black Manitou fork...actually the way my bike is set up now is perfect for me :)

Weaknesses:    The Bontrager grips that come stock on this bike were a sad sight. Also by reviewing the tires and the crank section on this site, I decided to change them before leaving with the bike. My bikeshop had no problem with the changes.

Bottom Line:
I just got my bike yesterday so I really haven't put alot of miles on it. I was able to get my bike setup the way I really wanted it. I looked at all the 2002 bikes and I really didn't consider any other bike. For the price I paid (2400 $ cdn with all the upgrades), nothing was even close. Once I get some serious riding time I'll post another review.

Favorite Trail:   Coaticook, Bromont and Rougemont

Purchased At:   Vélo Mario Pontbriand

Similar Products Used:   My other bike is a 2000 Fisher Paragon.

Bike Setup:   Change the vee-brakes and Bontrager select wheelset for the Hayes disc, and Bontrager race disc wheelset package off a mens version of the Fuel 90. The Bontrager crank is now an LX, tires are IRC SeracXC, grips are Serfas, pedals are Time Atac's. Bike weights in at 27 pounds.

2003 Trek Fuel 90 WSD = $$ ??

a friend of mine has this bike in very good condition, stock other than the tires. My g/f might want to buy it, but I'm having trouble finding out what it's worth. Anyone here think they know what a fair price would be for this bike? Thanks!Read More »

2001 TREK FUEL 90 WSD...........Rear Shock Specs?

Does anyone know what rear shock Trek ran on their 2001 Fuel 90 WSD bikes? The E2E specs and stroke would be nice. I can't find this info online. This is a surprise for a friend who is overseas who blew their shock. Your info will be helping a stranded fellow rider... ThanksRead More »

Trek Fuel 90 WSD

My wife rides a 16" 2001 Trek 8500 WSD. She's about 5'6"+ and says this is the first bike that has ever really fit her. Previously rode a 15.5" Rockhopper (too small) and 17" Stumpjumper (too big). We are both going FS. Since the Trek HT fits her so well, we are considering a 16" Fuel 90 WSD. ... Read More »

fuel 90 wsd disc brake adaptors

hey there my lady friends ride doesnt have any disc tabs, its a 2002 trek fuel wsd 90. Is there a way i can put IS tabs on her frame without buying a new backend, and if i had to buy a new rear anyone know how much it would cost, thanks for your time. MayRead More »