Titus Loco Moto 2002 Full Suspension

MSRP : $2078.00

Submitted by 420Rider from Santa Cruz Mtns.

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    The L.M. rides comfy, feels really fast, nimble and stiff.
It alos looks to be a well made and durable bike.
I like the frame design for being able to hop on & off easily and fast, high and tidy cable routing and confidence insiriring geomety.

Weaknesses:    Clearance could be a bit tight @ the chainstay yoke area w/ 2" tires and a ride out on a bent rear rim, but it hasen't happened yet.
Other than that she's a champ.

Bottom Line:
Yea, a bike like this is gonna cost to much $.
Other than that you kinda get what you pay for.
All bikes (within reason) are fun to ride, especially out in the woods.
My Loco-Moto only makes the trail time that much more fun.
Technichal sh*t, up and down, fast corners, between narrow trees, over rocks and through the water crossings... the woodland creatures don't stand a chance against the Loco-Moto!

I'll talk some more smack after more time on more trails.

Favorite Trail:   ...yea right

Purchased At:   outfitter in Sonoma Co., CA

Similar Products Used:   Kona Mokomoko for about 18 mo.
-good ole hardtails before that

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla RC^2 in back and FoxForx Vanilla 125 in front (even though Titus recommends a 100mm fork,) Thompson post and short stem, Easton riser and XT groupo w/ Avid mech disks slowing down Mavic F219's, laced up by a guy taking bong hits.

Submitted by Keith Fritz a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    An all around bike: Light enough for XC and plush enough to handle great DH trails.
Geometry: Fuctions equally well with 80 to 130 ml forks. I run a FireFly now, but did have the Psylo SL.
Diversity: With a quick change of the rear shock I have a great XC or light FR bike.
Climbing Abilitity: The rear suspension design allows the rear tire to maintain great traction while climbing steep technical hills
Cost: for what you get, the price isn't that bad.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't allow for really large rear tires.

Bottom Line:
The titus Loco Moto is simply a great all around bike for the person who loves to climb, XC, and do some DH/FRing. since I have owned my Loco Moto, my technical riding has really advanced.

Favorite Trail:   Moore Fun

Purchased At:   Over The Edge Sports

Similar Products Used:   Titus racer X

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Strengths:    Being a Clydesdale, I wanted a strong, stiff, acceptably lightweight, excellent handling, built-to-last, general- purpose trail bike. The 2002 redesigned frame and Charles Coker's recommended sturdy-build specification add up to one awesome ride.

Weaknesses:    None, so far.

Bottom Line:
This is the two wheeled dream date I lusted over for more than a year. The Loco Moto is everything one could ask for in a sweet-riding trail bike, and then some.

It was a pleasure, and worth the 200 mile round trip drive, to do business with Hammerhead Bikes, in Austin, Texas. Charles Coker took the time to understand my riding needs and desires, and delivered a high quality bike that dreams are made of!

Favorite Trail:   O.P. Schnabel

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bikes

Bike Setup:   Spectrum Powder Works custom powdercoated frame with XT shifters and drivetrain w/12-34 cassette, Monkeylight carbon low rise bar, Race Face Good n'Evil grips, Thomson stem and seat post, Magura Louise FR discs, Fox Float 100R fork, Chris King head set, Hope hubs/WTB laserdisc rims, Panaracer Fire XC Pro's, Selle Italia Trans Am Flite Ti saddle, SRAM PC-99 chain, Shimano 959 pedals.

Submitted by woodyak a Cross Country Rider from Rockport, MA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is very stiff, light, and well balanced. The suspension is very active w/a minimum of bobbing. Perfect fit for a shorter rider. A great trail bike. This bike just feels good. Customer Service is also top-notch.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire clearance is tight. I would like to see the travel increased to 5 1/2 or 6 in the big travel mode, and it could be more coil-friendly.

Bottom Line:
The bike rules! I specced it out with Charles @ Hammerhead Bikes. He actually talked me down from a Hammerhead or Switchblade frame, that I initially wanted, because they would be too big for me. The XS frame fits me perfectly being 5'4" 155 lbs.

The bike is perfect for my type of riding. Here in New England we have some pretty rocky/rooty/muddy terrain so this bike's active suspension is perfect. Initially I had the bike built up as a lightweight x-country bike, with an air shock and lighter components, but since I've been riding it my skills have increased and are pushing me towards light free-riding stuff so I've toughened up the parts.

Yes, the bike bobs a wee bit on flat roads but I'm only on flat roads until I get to the real trails. The bobbing is minimal and only noticable if I'm looking directly at the shock while cranking on my pedals. The rear susp. does stiffen a bit when breaking but that also is not really noticable. I don't really use my rear brakes that much when going downhill anyways.

This bike is a great trail bike for someone who wants a frame that can be either a light shorter travel x-country or a tough long travel trail bike. The frame is very light and stiff and solid.

"I give it my lowest rating ever, 7 thumbs up!"
-Homer Simpson

Favorite Trail:   Ancient Line

Purchased At:   HammerHead Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra, GaryFisher HKEK, Rockhopper, Trek rigid.

Bike Setup:   XS frame using a Stratos coil in 4.75 mode. Fox float, Avid Discs, Mavic 3.1 UST w/AC hubs, CK headset, Thompson seat post & stem, Panaracer XC Pros.

Submitted by Geoff a Weekend Warrior from Sask

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff mainframe
Nice cable routing
anodizing in purty
overall finish is excellent
customer service is #1

Weaknesses:    tight rear tire clearance, wish there was more

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike, for the area conditions we have (rolling terrain, technical) this bike excels. The frame is pretty stiff, stiffer than the previous design. The finish is top notch and I still feel that Titus customer service is amoung the best in the business.
The ride is really good for a single pivot, I couldn't imagine getting much more performance by spending alot more money. The travel adjustment's make a nice difference, although I wish a guy could get a bit more travel out of the rear, my ideal bike would have adjustment's between 4.5-6.5 inches of travel, I know the Quasi exsists, but that almost twice the amount of $$.
The only drawback I find is that the rear tire clearance is a little on the small side. I'm running a Mutanoraptor 2.24 with a Laser casing and I've got just over an 1/8" on either side.
I tried the bike with both a 4" and 5" fork and the 5" feels better, albeit a little slower.
FYI, I weight 225 and have no probs with the bike.
Although the tire clearance is a little tight, the customer service made up for it, you can phone these guys up anytime and ask them something and they'll give you a straigh answer. Next years project is a coil of some sort in the rear

Favorite Trail:   Make my own