Specialized Rockhopper FSR XC Comp 2002 Full Suspension

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike Hoff a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Great Value, soaks up bumps and rocks, this bike has givin me years off trouble free biking

Weaknesses:    Stock 1.9 Specalized tires were fast but didn't have the meat to handle a 200lb guy like me or the grip for the riding I do.

Bottom Line:
Great bike! Pick one up used it the chance arises. I did add a riser of about 3/4 inch. The rear shock needs to be inflated often. This bike climes well and I bomb the downhills leaving my hard-tail freinds in the dust! Love that feeling. I'm going to hold onto this bike for a long time but one day will switch to the XC Comp of this year. This seems to be the best bike for the money and it handles everything I throw at it! I like it spicy, so 5 flamin(not flamin gay, not that there is anything wrong with that)peppers.

Favorite Trail:   Dyke 8 Folsom Lake(CA)---Palmer Park (CO)

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Tried those Mongoose bikes at Walmart. Broke three of them in a month, finally dropped some cash and bought a real bike.

Bike Setup:   2002 dual suspention Specialized Rockhopper. LX Drive train exept shifters. LX crank, Judy C fork, fox float rear 4", sette xlr bars( .75inch riser), LX brake levers, rim brakes(still work great but not as sexy as disks), Blackburn light, XC fire pro tires(love them)--Rest is stock.

Submitted by Leif Dove a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Strengths:    frame, frame, frame

Weaknesses:    cheap bar, tires, fork (judy c = judy crap)

Bottom Line:
at first (2 years ago) i was very pleased with this bike (my first full squishy). lately, i'm putting more miles on the bike and swapped some parts for comfort/performance. the risers and new fork make this a super sweet ride. i was looking at new bikes, but made these upgrades and couldn't be happier. yeah, the bike's a little heavy, but so am i. if i want a lighter ride, i'll lose a few pounds and not carry so many tools.

Favorite Trail:   Goodwater

Purchased At:   Buck's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   bridgestone MB3, mountain cycle san andreas, various diamond backs

Bike Setup:   manitou black elite 80/100, ritchey riser bar, mythos tires, pretty much everything else stock

Submitted by Trent Boswick a Cross Country Rider from Halifax, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Ok, looking at the bike as an overall product the strength obviously is the frame, including the rear suspension technology. The part specs are moderate at best for serious riders. This bike can be greatly enhanced by slowly adding higher end parts to compliment a frame that is far exceeding the rest of the bike.

I have swapped out 99% of the parts from the original bike. If you were to make only one change I would upgrade the fork (I went with an ’02 Psylo xc). My comments below are based on how the bike handles with a higher end part spec.

The bike pedals extremely well for an FS, corners well at high speeds with little or no noticeable flex. Climbs like a goat with very little bob, efficient riders will notice almost no loss of power on climbs.

Handles moderate drops on more extreme trails with ease, replaced rear chainstay after noticed two slight cracks in the welds. Specialized warranty dept was incredible, less than 10-day turnaround with new part, which they bumped up to the Enduro chainstay.

The big strength in this bike in my opinion is obviously the Frame and the rear suspension technology.

Weaknesses:    Part spec on this bike is less than desirable; some are good… some are just bad. 1-10
Front fork – 5 – the Judy is ok but not great if looking for the most from this bike.
Rear Suspension – 8 – more than adequate, one of the bet things on this bike when combined with frame technology.
WHEELSET - 4 - not bad but will not stay true under more aggressive riding., Hubs 3, Tires 7.5.
SHIFTING - 8 - LX more than adequate.
BRAKES - 6 - Stopping fine in dry but less than ok in even damp conditions, much better rim brakes for this price range out there.
CRANKS - 8 - Very good for this price range, lasted almost 2 yrs of frequent aggressive riding with no problems.
PEDALS - 10 - Very nice touch, no complaints. One of only 3 original parts remaining after almost 2yrs.
HANDLEBARS – 4 – Should be replaced with riser bar.
SHIFT LEVERS – 7
CASSETTE – 2 – lost way too many teeth too soon.
CHAINRINGS 2 - ditto
SADDLE – 9 - very nice, specialized does saddles well.

Bottom Line:
Great frame and rear suspenion, parts spec could be better but most likely not at this price.

Frame - 10

Strengths:    - smooth ride
- good component set
- fairly light

Weaknesses:    - maybe the tires

Bottom Line:
This is the international version, see the next article for a brief description of the differences, and the price quoted is in cdn dollars.
This is my first FS bike and I love it. I know a couple people that are more serious than I about biking that suggested going the hardtail route with better components, but I think they are missing out. I can remember the same argument years back when front suspension first started popping up, "no real rider needs front suspension, etc...". Yeah, right. Those same riders are now dropping big bucks on the latest high-end forks.
I am definitely a weekend trail warrior and don't plan on taking any major drops on this bike so the stock components suit me well. The ride is very smooth and the LX components to the job. Personally I think XT/XTR is overpriced LX stuff, but there are other that swear by them so I won't argue. After sitting on a few other FS bikes with rear coil suspension (eg. Giant), I was a bit worried about the bob but this is not an issue with the rockhopper. The fox float that comes with it, although not the top of the line, is great and there is minimal bob. This is the first time I've used a riser bar and I like it. The fact that clipless pedals were included was a bonus as many other bikes in the same price range did not have them which I find very odd. I'm not a huge fan of V-brakes so I may eventually be switching to disc if I can afford em.
I've read alot about the tires that come with this bike, and despite the Kevlar bead thing, I have to say that the tread really is not that aggresive and looks more suited to road or casual trail use. Haven't had a chance to ride it in alot of mud or loose material but I imagine it won't dig in too well so I may end up replacing them.
Overall, I would highly recommend this bike. Pick up last year's model like I did and you will save a bundle.

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Strengths:    -Pretty light,solid frame
-Smooth ride
-Decent component spec

Weaknesses:    Flimsy bottom bracket, crappy tires, cartidge pivot bearings(see below)

Bottom Line:
For the first three months of riding this bike I loved it. Coming off a crappy hardtail to this bike really improved my riding. I kept finding myself riding faster and trying lines that I never would have even looked at before. You can't realize what a difference good suspension bike can make until you try it. The bike also climbs well too although it's not without bob (I keep the shock pretty stiff which minimizes this). The components aren't the best but they do the job well and are holding up nicely. I have the international version which comes with a riser bar, different seat, Manitou Six elite fork, kevlar bead tires and a beefier suspension swing link (the $1450 price is in Canadian dollars).

Now for the bad news. The tires don't have a lot of bite in the loose stuff and even less in mud. The old style square taper bb is garbage (but it's all you can expect in this price range for now). For the first four months of riding, I was impressed with how well the bike was holding up. Then one day I picked it up to go riding and noticed some play in the rear suspension. After bit of investigating I discovered that three of the cartridge pivot bearing were crushed. Bunguay's (my LBS) told me to check out a local bearing shop, but I had no luck finding replacements. I took the bike to Bunguay's and they had to send the bike away (I have no idea where), because apparently there are no replacement bearings anywhere in Canada!!! And this was about four weeks ago. Right now I don't know where my bike is, when it will be fixed or if warranty will cover the costs. Bunguay's has been great and are doing all they can, but I lost the last few weeks of the riding season having to wait for parts.

I'll give the bike four flamin chilis four value, because it is a well-spec'd ride for the dollars. But I gotta give it three overall because of the super slow service I am getting from Specialized.

Purchased At:   Bunguay's in Moncton

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by KentB a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    Very smooth, handles well. Great frame.

Weaknesses:    Cranks, chain rings

Bottom Line:
I have to start by saying I'm a 240 lb desk jockey getting back into something active (used to dirtbike / motocross). Bought this bike because it was the largest MTB size I could find with FSR. The bike is far more capable than I am for now. Love the ride and handling. Found the larger chainrings trashed after about 3 months of riding. Chain suck was the likely cause. The aluminum middle ring bent due to trying to keep climbing after chain was over the chain stay. Had to ride back in granny gear. Replaced other bars and stem to get more room between seat & bars. Other parts working great. From my limited knowledge this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Bicylce Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension

Bike Setup:   stock except for Easton DH bars, 140 mm stem and now XT cranks and rings.

Submitted by Allen Azali a Weekend Warrior from Northridge, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Looks/Design, All around price for components ratio. Good fundamental frame to work with.

Weaknesses:    Seating, braking, the Judys a little bit soft for my likeing.

Bottom Line:
I havent had a bike of my own in a little over 5 years. Let me just say that I have been looking at getting a mountain bike for quite some time, and I have used this site for its reviews quite extensively. I walked into the shop told the guy I wanted a bike that would handle the streets and the trails with as little maintenance as possible. He recommended the 2003 Hardrock. Other posts in this site recommended saving up the money for the Rockhopper line. After careful consideration I decided to go for the Rockhopper FSR, over the GT I-Drive 4.0, Hardrock UNO, and Hardrock and Rockhopper hardtail. The GT I-Drive 4.0 is probably the most comperable to my bike. The GT seems to be a little more solid and smoother. Probably has a lower center of gravity. However I prefered the Rockhopper's lightweight frame and rigid feel. The GT was better at riding over the terrain. But, if you want an above average suspension bike, which will give you a better feeling for riding through the terrain I recommend the Rockhopper FSR.

Favorite Trail:   anticipate the backbone trail @ Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   Cycle World

Similar Products Used:   GT I-Drive 4.0 (tested it). This is my first full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, probably replace the seat, then the brakes, then the front fork...etc.

Submitted by Justin F a Weekend Warrior from Provo. Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Great Bike with full suspension and also very light.
Great for hard uphill climbs but really excels on the downhill.

Weaknesses:    I recommend upgrading the tires when you get a chance. No weaknesses just a great ride.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is a great bike for a novice to experienced rider. You will never have to trust another brand after experiencing a ride with SPECIALIZED. They are light and they make a great product.

Favorite Trail:   wadsworth

Purchased At:   Bike Peddler

Bike Setup:   Bike Wilderness Trial tires and a riser bar. That's all it needs. Have fun!!!!

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    -good suspention
-semi light
-great bike

Weaknesses:    -tires wear to fast
-brakes suck ass
-fork is not to great
-seat is too small
-pedals suck

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. It's good stock but needs some riser bars. But the reason that the brakes suck is because i was climbing some rocks and I stoppd and I look down and there was one of the brake pads on the ground. But other than that and the other stuff it is a good bike, so i give it flaming turds for value and 4 for overall.

Purchased At:   Bob's cycle center

Submitted by Steve Smith a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Strengths:    great frame / geometry for me...love the fox forx and shock...nice and flush...easily adjustable

Weaknesses:    crappy handle bar...many bikes in this class now have discs...and the rockster tires are pretty lame

Bottom Line:
I am really happy with the way this bike performs. As a former hardtail loyalist I can't believe how much this bike seems to enhance my abilities. It climbs quite well for an fs...a little light on the front end. The fox stuff at both ends rocks. I wasn't sure if the 80mm front travel would be enough in the bumpy stuff but its a really nice progressive feel...and I love the super-active backend. The lock-out is nice on the occassion long steady climb, but not necesary. I highly recommend swapping discs in at purchase. My LBS made all the changes shown in bike set-up section for same list price. It's a sweet bike!! Based on this deal I give it 5 chilies for value..just 4 if it were stock bike at list price.

Similar Products Used:   GF Sugar and SC Superlite

Bike Setup:   added easton riser bar...swapped in avid mech discs on mavic 317 rims w XT hubs...continental 2.1 explorer pros

Submitted by Todd Clark a Cross Country Rider from Roswell

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Outstanding suspension, Good mix of components, Solid ride, Not a bad climber and good on the descents. Its a better bike than MOST riders.

Weaknesses:    Stem is a bit short. Seat needs replaced with one that fits my behind. Maybe a Flite.

Bottom Line:
This is a bike that you can ride to explore, play, and race. I race the sport class and am plenty competitive on this great bike. So far it's a serious hoot.

Favorite Trail:   The Spaghetti Bowl

Purchased At:   Roswell Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M-80 is the only other MTB i've had much time on.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now the seat and stem are going soon.

Submitted by Robert Edge from Allen,Texas

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame, Ascends good, good geomtry, decent fork

Weaknesses:    rear tire tends to wear fast

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike with a very proven frame that has been around for a few years. I would recommend putting team master on the rear, as apposed to the stock team control, which tends to wear pretty fast. I would also put a riser bar and maybe a better fork. Other than that this is a great bike. I would not recommend this to a weekend warrior, your spending a little bit to much money for this bike to be sitting in your garage.

Favorite Trail:   Arbor hills