Specialized Enduro FSR 2002 Full Suspension

4.43/5 (72 Reviews)

Submitted by Andrew P a Weekend Warrior from Rolla, mo, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2006

Strengths:    built like a beast light weight, paint seemed durrable easy to work with good pivot bearings. Little to no pedal bob when ridden sitting down

Weaknesses:    decal fell off, I didn't care... I had to find a rocker for it that kinda sucked (when I bought it, it didn't have one)

Bottom Line:
I build this bike from the frame up it was to be my baby... and well it ran great for as long as I wanted to own it (I got bit by the 29er bug thus sold it) the frame was stiff and work just a full suspension frame should. I rode it in an aggressive XC style and it soaked up every little bump and I never even thought for a second it would break.. Only complaint was Specialized's website when trying to find technical info...

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluffs

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   1st full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   Z1 free ride, swinger 3-way coil, king wheels, saint cranks

Submitted by Justin Sharick a Cross Country Rider from Latrobe, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Strengths:    Fast, inspires confidence, component list is pretty good stock, but'll need upgrading in a few years. Can take a beating.

Weaknesses:    Some of the components should be a little better. Deore shifters work, but I'd like to see something a little nicer for the price this bike retails.

Some problems with frame cracking? I haven't had anything like that happen...

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for three years now and it has been nothing but a pleasure to own and ride. I posted a review shortly after I purchased it back in 2002 and it has not failed me yet. Sure, I've had problems with components here and there, but with 3 years of heavy use, your sure to have that.

If you can find any of these used I'd highly recommend it or, of course, any of the bikes in the current Enduro line. Good job Specialized!!

Favorite Trail:   Local Trails

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   2001 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp Disc

Bike Setup:   2005 XTR Rear Derailleur (Rapid Rise)
XT Front Derailleur, chain, and cassette
Race Face Next Low Rise Carbon Fiber bar
ODI Rogue Lock On Grips
Everything else is stock

Submitted by EnduroMatt a Weekend Warrior from tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Strengths:    my first full susp bike, its totally awesome. not real light, but not too heavy for trail or freeride.

Weaknesses:    GHOST SHIFTING! I SPENT ALONG TIME AND ALOT OF MONEY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS CAUSING MY BIKE TO GHOST SHIFT EVERYTIME I WAS PEDALING AGGRESIVELY OVER BUMPS AND DROPS. I SLOWLY RELACED MY REAERR DER, SHIFTERS, CABLES, REAR CASS, ETC. TRYING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. FINALLY, I REALIZED THE PROBLEM WAS A SIMPLE $4 CABLE UNDER THE BB THAT WAS TOO SHORT SO THAT IT WOULD TIGHTEN UP OVER THE BUMPS AND PULL THE REAR DER JUST ENOUGH TO CAUSE THE GHOST SHIFTING. I WAS SO RELIEVED THAT I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM, BUT I WAS ALSO UPSET THAT IT TOOK SO LONG BLOWING MONEY AT THE LBS. I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SAVE SOMEONE TIME AND MONEY SO THEY DONT GO THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE HAS BEEN LIKE A DREAM EVER SINCE I HAVE SOLVED THE GHOST SHIFTING PROBLEM THAT ALMOST PUT ME AT THE END OF MY ROPE. I FULLY RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS A GREAT FSR WITHOUT SPENDING SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS! ILL RIDE THIS BIEK INTO THE GROUND! I AM 6 FT AND I RIDE A LARGE FRAME, ITS PERFECT FOR ANYONE 5 10"-PROBABLY 6 2". EMAIL FSU_BOO_MIA@YAHOO.COM IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS, ILL TRY TO RESPOND ASAP!

Favorite Trail:   Cadillac

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   hardtails only

Bike Setup:   bomber fork, full sram der's and shifters(they rock), lock on grips(a plus)maxxis tires, rest is still stock.

Submitted by Rob Burnell a Weekend Warrior from Central Joisey

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    Good Climber, Supple Rear end, Adjustable linkage and travel.

Weaknesses:    FRAME BREAKS AT SHOCK MOUNT,Fork just OK.Deore shifters suck.

Bottom Line:
This is my first F/S rig. I like the action on the rear end. I wasn't prepared for how well the bike climbs. I'm not so crazy about the drivetrain parts(except for the XT rear der.)but that's not their fault.FRAME BRAKES AT SHOCK MOUNT UNDER SEATMAST. SKETCHY. I just brought it in and am waiting for Specialized's response. I probably wouldn't buy another monocoque type frame after seeing how this one broke. I'll probably wait to see how durable the replacement frame is before I go ahead with my planned upgrades.(Fox Vanilla 130 fork, Chris King Hset, XT shifters, XT cassette, XT front Der., Splined Crank & bb.)

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   Wheel Life Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First Full Suspension Rig

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by SKOTTY a Weekend Warrior from San Agelo

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent bike for all kinds of different riding conditions. Does well on technicle and rough trails.

Weaknesses:    Came stock with a 4" inch front fork, Fox float-R works good but will have to be rebuilt every year or so depending on how hard you puch it. Robound control works well and "itch switch" comes in handy.

Bottom Line:
I am 220 lbs and love to climb hills. I have taken this bike to Moab two year in a row and have gone through 5 chains and many sets of tires. I have over 1000 mile on my Frame and it still looks great and does not make any creeking sounds. FSR linkage greating for climbing. It has a little bob on flats worth the trade off on DW hills. Enduro frame is bulit proof after you get your first 02 frame replaced. I did crack my frame at the shock mount which I am sure that many have already found out but I had a new frame in less then a week. Specialized up-graded my frame to a S-works frame RED in color. looks cool. I did like the blue but who is complaining. Not me. It must be a good bike when you see most of the bike rental stores in Moab, UT using Specialized Enduro. That in its self is telling you something. Good Price and Good Durability.

Favorite Trail:   The PORK in Moab

Purchased At:   Bike Pro San Angelo

Bike Setup:   Marzochi Drop-off 5' inch fork, tubless tire "STANS", softer seat, NRP chain roller and bash gard, egg-beaters, 1.5" riser bar, XT rims and Mavic DH rims. 2.5" MTB motorapters tires

Submitted by ben from connecticut

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Weaknesses:    Frame breaks! Float in rear seeping air.

Bottom Line:
Twice as fun as old hardtail. Great bike - flies downhill, great all around. WOULD NOT BUY USED! My frame broke at the weld above the rear shock, and I've heard of others doing the same. Maybe a 2002 issue (I hope, Spec replaced mine w/ 03), but only the original owner gets a warranty. 2nd hand buyer be ware. Also, that Float in the rear may leak after a while - as mine does.

Again, bike rocks both up, down and off small drops.

Submitted by skull boy a Weekend Warrior from Covina, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    FRAME,FRONT SHOCKS, RIMS,DISK BRAKES

Weaknesses:    HANDLE BARS, CRANKS, CHAIN.

Bottom Line:
I had been riding a Full suspend for over a year on the road just jumping anything I could. Bus benches, fire hydrants, little old ladies. You know the score, anyway, I needed to hit the trails. Dodging busses and U.P.S trucks are fun but I needed a big change.

So I bought this bike and hit the dirt! Awsome! My buddies where like "DAMN!" "Smooth ride!" It goes up steep inclines very easy and when your ready to go back down the disk brakes are a life saver on the fish tail last moment turns. Upgrades are good when you can afford them but for the most part youll have fun right off the bat with this one!!!!

Favorite Trail:   "THE GOAT"

Purchased At:   Incycle in San dimas

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by at a Cross Country Rider from MONTARA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Strengths:    frame, suspension, brakes

Weaknesses:    gearing, seat

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line = Totally Stoked. Faster downhill, smoother ride. Enjoying landing jumps with the FS. Had some shifting and chain trouble initially and the seat seems extra hard. Climbing is a bit softer with this FS, but this bike rocks for cross-country/downhill/tech riding...it really does everything well and comfortable even on 30 mile rides...I'm totally stoked.

Favorite Trail:   MONTARA

Purchased At:   talbots

Bike Setup:   enduro fsr stock

Submitted by Wayne a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Strengths:    Great looking bike. Excellent all-purpose machine.

Weaknesses:    The gold rear shock linkage. But I have a cool fix.

1. Remove the linkage.
2. Carefully remove the FSR angle decals so you can re-apply them.
3. Seal off the bearings. I used a couple of washers and a bolt & nut.
4. Spray the linkage down with "Easy Off" oven cleaner. The gold color dissolves and you are left with a raw aluminum linkage.
5. Use a "Scotchbrite" pad to clean it up

Walla, my linkage matches my XT components.

It looks 1000% time better than the gold color!

Bottom Line:
Awesome Frame that can handle it all.

Purchased At:   Frame Only - Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   02 Enduro / 03 Rockhopper

Submitted by Dylan a Weekend Warrior from Monterey California

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, tires & rims, brakes,suspension

Weaknesses:    Seat, headset, bottom bracket, handlebars, at just a hair under 30 pounds it climbs beautifully.

Bottom Line:
I raced BMX from 1980 to 1991 and got on a hard tail in 93' . I'm not a racer anymore nor am I 20 years old either. I ride 3 times a week & the wrists were going out, alot of numbness, alot of pain, thus I finally got on a full suspension. Any one who's on a hardtail thinking about an enduro let me tell you I was VERY hesitant to make that transition, it took five or so rides to adjust, and has made me a much better rider, period. I'm hitting bigger jumps, drops, riding cleaner technical sections and just plain having more fun than ever! Great frame, I have not bottomed out the front shock on my biggest huck (6 feet high at 170 pounds) though the rear shock needs some (hopefully covered by warranty) work. I've killed the seat, headset's going, replaced the cheap bent LX rear derrailleur, broke the stock chain twice in the first month, and the bottom bracket is ready to retire in the next 50 miles so. Also, I had to have my LBS put on a new longer cable housing for the rear derailleur to stop the evil ghost shifting from hell. Don't let this scare you away though, as I'm pretty freaking hard on my bikes but if your thinking of going bigger maybe look into a Big Hit or a Heckler. Chris King and xt b.b. and new saddle are on the way. A good place to start the upgrades. The rims are holding up under regular 4 foot drops with some minor tuning just fine. So, bottom line...get it, and upgrade it as cash allows, it will make you want to ride all the time. I love the frame (and suspension so far) and It makes me search out new lines in places I would not have thought to ride before, and I don't feel like an arthritic cripple after a good day of single track. So far Specialized tech support has been great just don't try to call them on mondays, Cheers!

Favorite Trail:   huckleberry

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   98' Titan, 03' Enduro Pro, Older stumpjumper and beater univega piece O' lead I road for 10 years and thousands of miles

Bike Setup:   Stock FSR with xtr rear derallieur, Atomlab aircorp platform pedals

Submitted by Cbchess a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    A very nice Frameset. I bought just the frame for 500$ and built this bike up over the winter. The geometry of this frame is great. I like the very slack seat angle makes for a great cockpit with lots of room. The head angle is perfect in the 69 Degree setting. The Fox ITCH rear shock is just plain great. I switch back and forth between 4" and 5.2" all the time. the Four bar horst link is one of the best rear suspension packages in the industry. This makes for a real nice trail bike that is not too heavy to pedal all day long. I put Hayes Mag disc which work great for stopping. Nice welds on the frame. good paint.

Weaknesses:    The seat post and seat collar that come with the frame suck. They are Specialized brand. They did a poor job of holding the post strait no matter how hard you cranked down on the quick release. I had to switch them out to a Salsa collar and a Thomson post- absolutely no problems now.

Bottom Line:
This is a great trail bike. I built this bike up to be a bit stronger than my lighter 3" travel XC rig. With 5" up front and 5.2" in back this bike really is smooth and plush. I am a big fan of the four bar Horst link it works very well. The rear wheel sticks like glue and it is plush and responsive. Get this bike if you want a great trail bike and don't want to shell out 3000-4000$ for a Turner 5 spot. I am very pleased with the rear suspension - the FOX ITCH is a great shock the ability to switch to 4" or lock it out is an asset. A great value for a really nice bike.
I'll give it 5 for value and 4 for over all because the seat post and collar sucked. If you are looking to get an Enduro FSR, do it you will be happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Powhite

Purchased At:   Mountian high cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn rocket 88 stage one ( GREAT XC RIG) , Rocky mountain fanatic.

Bike Setup:   Enduro FSR frame, Marzocchi Z1 with 5+" up front, XT disc/ Sun singletrack wheels. Hayes Mag brakes. SRAM drivetrain and shifters. 2002 LX cranks. Moto 2.4 tires

Submitted by Ashley Kinghorn a Weekend Warrior from Mill Creek, WA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Strengths:    Fox float is sick! It eats up roots. Great on the downhills. Great feel. Climbs like goat!....I only knew the rear shock was bobbing up hill, because I was looking at it! Otherwise, it is so minor, you cant feel it. Disc brakes are nice, but you knew that already! Cant beat it for the price I paid. If I had to, I would have paid full price.

Weaknesses:    Seat post creaks a little. Feels like it wants to wheelie going up hill, however its not that big of an issue. (I like the fact that, thats all I have to complain about)

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike. If you are in Washington State, go to Bicycle Centers in Everett, as they have them for $1000. They have 6 left.

This is my first full suspension bike. I paid $930 for it, however would have paid $1400. It is just that nice. It is a rocket on the downhills, and climbs with ease, with very little bob on the uphills. Itch switch is great and easy to reach while on the move. Disc brakes are very nice, and stop you at a heartbeat. The seat is a little on the hard side, so that might be my first upgrade. I think alot of my excitement, comes from riding a full suspension bike for the first time, however for the price, you just cant beat it, or even come close. I am 6'4 200lbs. I ride the front on 50 and the rear at 200psi. If you are thinking of going to a full suspension, do it! In my opinion, this bike is built for the XC rider, who loves to go fast and hard on the downhill sections. At this stage, there is nothing that I dislike about the bike, so I give it full marks!

Favorite Trail:   Preston, Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   Bicycle Center - Everett

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock - However will upgrade to XT components as time goes by.

Submitted by susej from Renton, WA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Strengths:    It looks nice, oh yeah and all the stuff on it is a great deal if you can get it for the price i did

Weaknesses:    It seems that it doesn't keep its self clean like my cat can, haven't found and real weakness yet seems like its like superman

Bottom Line:
The bottom line well im number 60 or some damn thing on this review list so what ever i type probabley won't be read i feel as though im some what useless, but whats knew. Not that i think im useless i have hundreds of talents like writing a bottom line bike review and many more talents people could only dream to obtain. So my words of wisdom to you are to find a bike that fits you and your needs and add about 300 dollars to your budget because in the long run you'll be happeir. Heh, your significant other doesn't really need that operation anyway

Love,

Me

Similar Products Used:   other bikes like it

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by Kaz a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Light, great suspension, plenty of travel for what I need to do. Breaks are awesome, but this is my first bike with disc brakes. The bike feels great on climbs, I can pedal hard and I don't get much bob. It's very solid. Rear shock is great, the itch-switch makes a big difference, stiffer in the low travel mode and climbs great. The bike looks sweet, several people have asked me about it already.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the seat, too narrow and too hard. I'm not 100% sure about the tires either, I got a pinch flat on the front tire my first time out (for a hard ride). Could have been low air pressure, time will tell.

Bottom Line:
A damn great bike, bought this one when the 2003 model came out so I got a great deal. Even at regular price this is a good deal, components are good for the price, proven suspension is great for all-round-use. This bike is a blend of X-country and downhill. Not the full travel of a DH bike but more than a typical XC, and weight is somewhere in the middle too (about 29 or 30 pounds). If you want an all-round bike for doing long trail rides that will still be plenty of fun on the downhill then this is a good choice.

Favorite Trail:   Squamish

Purchased At:   Dizzy Cycles (Van)

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike, hard to compare to anything else. I took a look at the Giant XTC NRS 2 and the Norco Fluid before getting this one.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by SCOTTY a Weekend Warrior from San Angelo, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Frame (rigid and looks cool), Disk brakes (stop on a dime w/ one finger) and "itch switch" on rear shock for adjusting from long to short travel while you ride. Front fork respond great after a little play with PSI for your weight. I'm 230lbs and run 15 PSI on each side. Very little to no "BOB" on flats and climbs like a goat. Very dependable!!!!

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Awsome ride for the $. Very, very dependable and easy to maintain. If your a looking for a great deal, This is the bike to get.

Purchased At:   Bike Pro