Rocky Mountain Slayer 2002 Full Suspension

4.7/5 (30 Reviews)

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Canton, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame, good balance for overall use vs. 2 or 3 specific freeride, cross country, etc. bikes. Workmanship on my frame is excellent. Float good choice for shock, too.

Weaknesses:    Stock component setup leaves a lot to be desired. Mine is built-up from a frame, I rode the near stock version last year - BB and Crank needed replacement, seat is a brick, but overall a decent setup.

Bottom Line:
I rode the same bike stock last year for awhile, same issues as most the other reviews - too heavy tires, hard seat, crank/BB, all minus, Z fork great but blows up, plus is mostly all in the frame. This bike is tougher than my Enduro, stiffer and surprisingly a little quicker up front. Once dialed in the rear is plush but takes big hits w/o drama, f-to-r balance a little tricky with the Manitou Black fork. Ride 90% singletrack full of CT rocks and roots, this bike just takes it all in stride.

Favorite Trail:   Mesh

Purchased At:   Valley Bike, Granby CT

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Pro (currently broken frame), Rocky Mtn CTX-70

Bike Setup:   XTR full kit except XT hub/brake calipers, Thompsen SP&Stem, Shimano clipless, Mavic disc rims handbuilt setup, IRD Composite Bar, Michelin Wildgripper Comp S Red Tires :)
Didn't know if I'd like new XTR brake lever shifters, happy to say like them a lot! Built strong-but-lighter than stock, just have to accept XTR costs $$$, esp. for replacement. Sweet crank setup.

Submitted by STEW a Cross Country Rider from Bountiful, UT

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    Look, Feel and Ride. Suspension.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat is like an anvil.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike. I love to ride long climbs with fun stuff waiting for the ride back down. With not much work I dialed in the front and rear suspension: doesn't suck-n-bob on climbs, but rides pillow soft on the way down. I've used several front shocks and believe Marzocchi's to be the best. Once you get it set, you forget about your shock. It just works and you don't think about it. Rocky 3d-link has great lateral stiffness and still makes a smooth ride. This is my fourth bike and second Rocky. I love it. Only two (minor) beefs, one is solely related to my style of riding. First, the Selle seat. During a long ride it feels like you're sitting on a fence post. Thank you, gel pants. Second, I ride pavement a bit too much for the Hutch. Mosq. Lite's. They're getting chewed fast. Panaracer TrailBlasters are better for my type of riding. Still, this is a great XC + more bike.

Favorite Trail:   Thunder Mountain, Mueller, Pipeline

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Spice, Specialized RockHopper, Specialized HardRock

Bike Setup:   Marz. FR 1 front shock, Fox Float RL rear shock, XT rear der, LX front and shifters, Shimano Hydr. discs, Hutchison Mosq. Lite Tires,

Submitted by Dave Ozimek a Cross Country Rider from Girard,PA,USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, Marz. F1 fork, Fox Float RL shock

Weaknesses:    Stock seat like a brick attached to a seatpost. Other than that absolutely nothing.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. Incredible. Spectacular. Confidence inspiring. This bike can pretty much do it all. I couldn't believe I found a brand new 2002 leftover this year. Quite a find. Anyway, other than I'm just getting back into riding shape for this year, I am blown away by this bike. Rocky Mountain built a definite gem. I don't really freeride, but I found myself doing things I would have never done before. Like I said at the top it really is confidence inspiring. The Marz. fork is buttery smooth and gobbles up everything. The frame is bombroof and the paint with the metal flake is killer. Just look at it when the sun hits it the right way. The brakes work fairly well for Deore discs. Only minimal squealing. It's just awesome. The rear end tracks very nicely. It stays glued to the ground going up or going down. The bike also locks out on either end for those steep ones or the road commute to and from the trail. I will review this bike some more with a summer's fill of riding on it, but overall I hope Rocky Mountain never stops building this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Asbury Woods

Price Paid:    $2025.00

Purchased At:   Park Ave. Bike in Rochester

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really

Bike Setup:   Everything is stock except for WTB Speed Race saddle and Shimano 545 pedals.

Submitted by Jay Goetti a Cross Country Rider from Muttenz Switzerland

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Precise steering, excellent suspension performance, very fast in tight corners but still good directionality on fast downhill sections

Weaknesses:    Composite bushings in teh rear need frequent maintenance, otherwise they get sticky

Bottom Line:
Excellent combination of up- and downhill performance. The bike is quit light (about 12,5 kg/26lbs) and will take heavy abuse without a flaw. The new Fox fork is a dream come true - what a difference to the RS Psylo before!!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Garda Italy

Purchased At:   H&S Bikediscount Germany

Similar Products Used:   RM Element

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RL, Fox Forx Talas RLC, Chris King, FSA Carbon Crank, FSA FR Stem, Syntace Vector DH Bar, DT Hugi FR Hubs, Mavic F219 Rims, Magura Louise FR Disc, Shimano XTR, Selle Flite Titan

Submitted by Niser a Downhiller from Munich, BAvaria, Germany

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Fork, frame, BRAKES the deore hydro brakes are the best brakes i've ever had, mavic d 321 rims ( not stock but i have them) perfect allround bike

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses but i can't stop thinking about riding the slayer, the stock rims if u go freerding and not only cross country riding

Bottom Line:
This is the coolest bike i've ever had
it is very good to go uphill and downhill it is a weapon compared to the other kind of bikes.
THe brakes are very strong and the modulation is perfect, i always brake with one finger
the frame is so nice and the paintjob is godlike
with the new rims you can do anything and i don't have to worry about my part, that is because i don't weight alot
this bike is just fun to ride no matter what you do from street to downhill i love it and can't stop thinking of riding
thank you rocky mountain guys i love you

Favorite Trail:   lago di garda

Purchased At:   Rabe in Munich

Similar Products Used:   votec F7 ( german bike)

Bike Setup:   stock but mavic D 321 rims and schwalbe 2'35 tires

Submitted by terry a Cross Country Rider from calgary, alberta

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    This bike does it all! It climbs great, even with 5 inches of travel (though you may have to play a bit with handlebar height, stem length, fork set up, etc) and just bombs down nasty descents. The rear sus is firm and effecient but really sucks up big hits. It's tough but light and it looks cool. What more can I say?

Weaknesses:    Though this is a great bike, I had some component problems. First the Marzocchi Z1's lockout blew the first time I rode it (and I wasnt even using it). I have no need for a it, so I didn't really care and didn't have it fixed, but still. Other than that, it's a great fork.
On top of this, the bb went on me after only about a month. That pissed me off! The middle chain ring wore out after only 3 months. Needless to say, I'm not too impressed with the drivetrain on this bike. The Race Face/SRAM combo is nowhere as good as shimano XT, especially when things get muddy. I think a bike like this should come specd with a higher end drivetrain. I'll be switching to a full XT drivetrain for next spring.
I didn't even try the stock tires--mosquito lights. I went for my old standby tire--panracer fire xc pro.

Bottom Line:
Even though I have some issues with the components on this bike, overall I have to say, I love it! It's fast (for a fairly beefy 5 and 5 bike) on flats and climbs and even faster on the downhills. Basically, this is a cross country bike, but on steroids. If your going to be riding on smooth, flat trails, go buy a hardtail, or a 3 and 3 full sus. But if your going to ride long, arduous, rock-strewn, root-infested trails with moderate drops and jumps (like those in Kananaskis Country) go get a Slayer. It'll get you over the pass and let you scream down the other side. And at the end of the day, you wont feel like Mike Tyson was giving you kidney shots for 5 hours straight.

Purchased At:   tri sport (windsor)

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Zobop

Bike Setup:   Stock, except I uprgraded front derailler and shifters to XT, changed tires and put on TIME pedals.
I did a lot of playing with fork and shock set up over the summer, but I finally got it right. I think the rear has to be set up on the plush side in order to get proper balance with the Z1 fork and to get the best downhill performance. Even with this set up, it still climbs well. I never have any need to use the rear lock out, except when riding long stretches of pavement.

Submitted by Birdman-X a Weekend Warrior from Boston,MA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Strengths:    NONE

I have the '01. This is the wrong year for review but I
want others to know of RM's limitations.

Weaknesses:    The only stock parts left are the cranks, fork, handlebar and front triangle. The rest of the parts broke under moderate abuse. I am not a hard rider by any means. RM was originally helpful...the seat, seatpost and rear hub lasted about 2 weeks....and then every week thereafter something broke. NOT FROM FALLS. I broke my chainstay before the recall. They replaced it with a smaller diameter and smaller walled chainstay (off of the x-country bikes I presume) which now has a crack. They do not want to replace it with the proper piece under warranty claiming it is the correct one. I've met others with the same bike that have had theirs replaced and they are significantly thicker. It is like argueing with a rock talking to the warranty department. I also need to replace the seatstay. THEY CLAIM THEIR COSTS IS $280 FOR A SEATSTAY. Rob (RM warranty) told me the bike wasn't made for light freeriding and that I shouldn't have bought it. It was a x-country/trail bike and that I should have bought an RM-7. I then reminded him of their '01 marketing campaign for the Slayer - urban assault..do anything go big machine...blah..blah..blah... We spoke last week where I voiced my displeasure in no uncertain terms. He said they would work on a price that was more in line with sanity for the seatstay. The LBS just called. $270. I can buy '02 Stinky De-Lux frames right now for $799. Far beefier, bearings as opposed to bushings, 4 bar...sure they all break but I'm willing to bet I'll have far fewer problems with the Stinky than this POS. Rob said..."the Stinky is made in Taiwan". Woooo there sparky...now that is some logic. So I should be happy with my piece of crap because it is made in Canada vs. having a working bike that was made in Taiwan...someone that is supposed to make me feel better...I've always heard that B.C. bud is good...I made that mistake buying your product and I won't make it again.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I'm Canadian and RM's are supposed to be good. So much for being patriotic. Maybe I just got a lemon. That happens. However, RM warranty is horrible. Quite possible the worst service I've received in my life. It is the last time will buy a product from Rocky. I'm one pissed off owener. Unfortunately I don't have $$'s lying around to just buy a new bike. So everytime someone ask me how I like my RM Slayer I'll be sure to tell them how much I hate it. If anyone knows where I can find some lemon stickers let me know so I can put them all over my bike as a warning to others thinking about paying hard earned money on junk.

There is a good lesson here...DON'T buy the first year bike and be the guinea pig...and then when you decide you like a bike...don't just ride it yourself....look for others that have some time on it and see the problems they have and how they were handled by the Company. So long RM....and do me a favour. Stop putting the Canadian maple leaf on your bikes...it is an embarressment to real Canadians.

By the way...when the bike was not broken and I wasn't geting jerked around by RM warranty, it was a pretty decent rig.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn

Similar Products Used:   RM Element (no problems whatsover); Jekyll

Bike Setup:   The set-up used to change weekly due to crappy stock parts. Now that they are almsot all replaced...no changes...once the frame is changed it will be a Stinky etc.,

Submitted by Henrik Cosworth a Downhiller from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Strengths:    Ok cross country bike with limited down hill capabilities.

Weaknesses:    The Company behind the product is the main problem. You can't complain over the service because it is non existent. They do not answer e-mails or for that matter pick up their phones. In other words piss poor support. Sorry about my French.

Bottom Line:
At a 4000.00 USD price tag in this country and the lack of support from Rocky Mountain it is not what you can call value for money. I can find hand build bikes here which are just as good if not better at less money.

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz bullit, Hot Chili Razor

Bike Setup:   Hayes disc brakes, Manitou Black Air fork

Submitted by mike swanson from newton,n.c., catawba

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    This frame is one of the most durable, consistent, and well-crafted pieces of mtb. equipment I have had the pleasure of owning...this makes my fourth!!! (Rocky Mtn. Bike that is...) Right-On Canada!!!

Weaknesses:    U have the introductory model Edge 19" with the following added: 1999 Z1-QR20, with Bl.Spire forkbrace, x-heavy springs in front, with upgraded rear vanilla rc w/800lb. spring, Shimano XT discs, 8" rotor in front, 6" in back, not enough clearance for 8". XTR 4-arm crankset, Sram 9.0sl rear hub w/14g dt,brass, on mavic hard anodized 521's front and rear, and a std qr20 front hub. Azonic shorty 75mm x 10 degree stem, Answer pro-taper bars with odi rogue lock-ons, thomson seatpost, and wtb saddle, salsa seatpost qr,Michelin 2.5 and 2.2 dh tires. the ones that look like the xc hot s tread. these weaknesses are only due to several successive blows off of trees, rocks, stunts, crashes, and being constantly treated like sheeett...

Bottom Line:
buy the 02 or the either one of the 03 models, you will be soooooooo happy!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Raider's Camp/Harper's Creek

Purchased At:   Clark's Bike Center, Hickory, N.C.

Bike Setup:   refer to above

Submitted by Timothy Wheeler a Weekend Warrior from Cheyenne, WY

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, Fork.

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
Great all around ride! Can't say enough about this bike. Fork is strong and plush. Frame is strong without being too heavy. Bike climbs good and descends as good as any 4-5" travel bike. If you are into long trail rides and want to be able to enjoy a night out afterwards, this is the one. Very comfortable all-day bike!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Carbondale Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super-v 2000, Jamis Dakar.

Bike Setup:   Hayes 6" disks, Z1 Freeride, Race Face.

Submitted by Trevor Watson a Weekend Warrior from Scotland UK

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    The grin that comes with the bike. It's the poodle's plums

Weaknesses:    rear end cable routing in compression

Bottom Line:
You'd have to be insane to spend that much money on a bike, so come on, all you nutters: line up behind me and buy a Slayer...
It can go anywhere. Trick is to still be with it when it arrives. I will break long before this bike does. Light enough to get up hills even if you are not a superfit lycra-hound, and absolutely loves the downhill and bumpy bits. The Z1 keeps the bike going the right way long after I've lost the plot.
ECC cart failed on Z1 fork early on so had it replaced by good people at Windwave, and I've managed to kink the rear brake hose between top tube and rear triangle, but the fun I've had doing it is more than worth two little glitches.
This is the finest bike I've ridden - I think they should be made compulsory.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress Black

Purchased At:   Red Jersey Cyclery, NH

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg

Bike Setup:   Hayes disc brakes, Michelin Wildgripper USB tubeless tyres on Mavic rims, Cannondale 24 spoke hubs, saddle with Maple leaves all over it (when do these Canadians ever stop???)

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Burlington, VT

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent suspension, geometry set up perfectly for a wide range of riding situations. Hayes disc brakes are a huge step up from arch rivals

Weaknesses:    lame mosqito tires replaced with mofo 2.35 dh in front and mythos 2.1 in rear. mavic x221 are pretty weak. I ordered a ryno lite. Replaced stem w/105 0 deg.Other wise a great bike.

Bottom Line:
Climbs like a dream for a 5 and 5 ride and descends even better. Haven't been off it since I got it. It does it all. A few people complained about thiers because it broke doing 10 foot drops but they should have picked up an RM7 or something. Remember its still just a bike, use common sense.

Favorite Trail:   Rasta man

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Earl's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   GT xcr3000. Another great bike but can't get the bushings and new I-drive bearings that I need due to company in ruins.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for wheels, tires seat/seatpost and stem.

Submitted by GwEg a Weekend Warrior from Laval Qc Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great all Around bike, big travel capability, handle very well, the 3D link suspension is very great...

Weaknesses:    doesn't come with a fox pump or something like that, no chain slap protector but these aren't big deal

Bottom Line:
this is the best bike I ever! The Z1 soak up everything and the 3D link is very great and very stiff. I've not encounter the tire problem : I passed a day to Bromont (A DH mountain) and never got a pinch flat, they handle very well too. The deore hydraulic disc brake are great, they skweal a little bit when hot but not to get you deaf. They are powerful too and have great modulation! The frame is very strong and very stiff. The bike is light enough to do xc, strong enough to do a little DH and freeride!
But the bike is quite hard to find! I got the last 18 inch in canada! But I bought it a little late so I guess it was easier to find one when they produce it!
Well it's the best bike I ever own , If you can afford it, buy it and you wont regret it

Favorite Trail:   9 Bromont

Purchased At:   Beausoleil Cycle

Similar Products Used:   hardtails

Bike Setup:   2002 Slayer stock

Submitted by RMS Dude a Cross Country Rider from ewtah

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Strengths:    -Out of the box everything has worked well, not alot of squeaking and creaking like other bikes (Specialized) I've purchased new.

-Does what it's supposed to. Lighter than my old trail runner with same front travel and almost as much rear.

-Love the frame, tough but not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    -Had to ditch the Hutchison tires
-I wish they could've spec'd a slightly wider rim, but the 223's have worked fine so far.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, more suited to my riding tendencies than my old Bighit, alot less weight, especially lighter rotationally (in the wheels), still have enough travel in the rear to do the jumps and small drops I like to do.

Rear lockout is nice, I thought I would miss the coil-over rear shock but the airshock has been just as plush feeling to me and seems to ramp up enough at the end of its travel to avoid hard bottoming. Works perfect for my 170 lbs.

Mine came with the Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes and I love them. My last bike had Hayes Hydraulics and I had alot of problems with them, took lots of tinkering to keep them from being annoying and they ended up giving me inconsistent performance. So far the Shimanos have been trouble free, quiet, strong, and consistent.

The Slayer is an excellent trail bike with plenty o' travel for most of the general mountainbiking public. It's not the lightest out there but it feels light for the capability it gives. I enjoy climbing with this bike much more than I did with my old Bighit.

If you want a great all-around trailrider with plenty of fun travel, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa