Norco VPS Team DH 2002 Full Suspension

4.68/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by Nicko 007 a Downhiller from bonython ACT Australia

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    All good for quite a while changed forks to Fox 40RC2 and rear to Fox DHX5.0 also breaks to Hope M4 quad piston

Weaknesses:    The other day i hit a 1700mm drop onto a timber pier and somehow managed to clean break/snap the back end off the bike

Bottom Line:
If anyone has full frame or back end for sale please call or e mail me

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Stavree

Bike Setup:   NORCO VPS TEAM DH 2002

Submitted by Psycho_JaRzA a Weekend Warrior from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Strengths:    This frame takes every hit with no complications. Only frame, that i havent get broken yet.

Weaknesses:    Bit noisy and heavy. The back triangle had been replaced new 4 years ago by friend.

Bottom Line:
One of the best frames that i have ever had.

Favorite Trail:   All drops and stairgaps

Purchased At:   Friend

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66RC, NS Bikes stem and handlebar, Sram x7/x9, Blackspire DS-1 chainguide, Hope Tech M4, Front: Singletrack. Rear: Mavic eX 729 Disc w/ Hadley, Truvativ cranks and Bottom Bracket, Kona dirt seat and Kona pedals

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Old Lyme, CT

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    very strong frame, alot of adjustibility out of the fox rc, very plush in the 7 & 8 in setting, the 6in setting has verturally no bob, which is great for the ocassional trail ride
paint resists chipping well
the frame it self is relativly light, it is a full 7lbs lighter than my giant dh, it has not proved to a weakness so far

Weaknesses:    small bb shell
thats about it

Bottom Line:
great frame very strong
has proved its place on the race course,
sucks up big hits very well
great for dh/freeride

Similar Products Used:   giant dh team

Bike Setup:   super t, hayes hydros, xtr dh cranks...

Submitted by SP SP a Racer from burnaby, bc, canada

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    Damn strong, super plush suspention, looks pretty cool, seems invincible, very nimble considering the weight and size

Weaknesses:    heavy, loud (or so ive heard, minez not to bad except for the chain guide)

Bottom Line:
pretty damn sweet bike. seems to take all the abuse i can dish. had to replace rear tire on first day but thats the tire, not the bike. kinda heavy, but that just means its strong and if i wanted a light bike i wudn't have bought a dh bike. hydros kick ass. definately worth the $$$$$. BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!! hahahahahaha. seriously, if ur lookin for a mans bike, dont go newhere else but norco team dh baby... show up all those pussies on nethin else wen u pull a table-top off a 30 footer and laugh it off...norco all the way. BIYACH!!

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Buy and Sell

Similar Products Used:   2003 norco team shore, 2003 norco drop, balfa bb7, brodie diablo, santa cruz super 8

Bike Setup:   2003 JrT's, 2003 8" hayes hydros, truvative chain guide, lots of goodies

Submitted by martin fontaine a Downhiller from gatineau

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Huge bike, strong front, unbreakable, heavy duty downhill bike.

Weaknesses:    the weight, for a light guy like me(150pounds), its a little heavy

Bottom Line:
Best bike ever for Hardcore downhill(even if im a Sunday rider...hehehe...you know rich kid always want the best)

If you have access to a mountain that has chairlift, OK but you dont wanna push the bike uphill unless you have very strong legs.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune canada

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stab-dee-Lux

Bike Setup:   Shiver DC 2002, 8" Hayes Hydraulic, Mag 30 DH wheels, XTR derailleur+shifters, blackspire chain guard+headset
kona handle bar(huh???)

Submitted by Craig from Canton, CT USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is unbelievably bombproof. It has a nice high bb that allows you to go over anything. The 24" rear wheel allows for great descents and quick bursts of speed. The adjustable suspension is key for those that ride xc and downhill. Norco has great customer support and warranties near anything.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily. The chain stays are definately not beefy enough to handle what the rest of the frame can take. I have broken 1 chainstay on this bike and one on a 2001. I now have a 2003 chainstay so hopefully they have improved the durability. Also it is a little noisy but who cares.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and it actually handles quite nimbley. It will suck up just about anything you throw at it and then some. That is if your chain stays can handle it. The cock pit on the bike is very compact so pedaling uphill is tedious, bbut this also allows your center of gravity to stay far back so you can get out of the saddle and still get grip. Also the bike handles drops, and flat take offs really well. But it is not the best for dirt jumps. The bike tends to be quite top heavy so it likes to nose dive sometime. Overall i am very satisfied with the bike, minus the down time when i cracked the stays. Also like someone else had mentioned, when you sit on the bike it feel like you are not sitting on it but sitting in it. It gives you that comfortable of a feel. And as for comments as to it not handling in slow technical sections, this is completely false. I think the bike handles better because of the comfort factor allowing you to hop and manipulate the front end in the slowest and tightest of maneuvers. So if you want a bike that is good for dh, great for freeriding, and good for xc, then this is it. Can't wait to see the 2004 lineup, I am hearing something about norco putting a newly designed fox progressive shock on the back. That will greatly improve the xc factor of the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tower of Power

Similar Products Used:   2001 Norco team dh, bullit, intense slx

Bike Setup:   03 super-t, all xtr, hayes, race face, thomson, chris king wheels and headset

Submitted by Russ a Downhiller from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Solid feel. Predictable jumps. Handles good, not twitchy.
P-L-U-S-H rear-end. Climbs not so bad either.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm, none so far. Busted the chain guide dropping off of a picnic table when I hit a stump, 5 minutes later I was rollin again!! Its a little loud but who cares?

Bottom Line:
Where do I start? Manuals like a dream, takes big hits with ease, slinks thru singletrack, jumps like a SOB...cant wait to race it!!!! Makes me feel invincible. Ive done 20+ foot doubles on this bike, came up a little short & barely even got bumped off the pegs!!!
Been dominating my buddies with their Yeti DH9 slugs.

This is a great bike for big freeriders (Im 6'2", 235lbs) & downhillers. I needed a taller bar & then I was ready to rock. If you want a bombproof bighit then this is it!!!!

Favorite Trail:   mailbox

Purchased At:   The Path in SoCal

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR w/6" travel kit.

Bike Setup:   All stock except:
7" Boxxer (Ive had great luck with the Boxxer on my old bike so I got a '02 Boxxer for this bike right off the bat....NICE.)
Scandium DH bar, 2.5" rise

Submitted by Ollie Nietzel a Weekend Warrior from Poco

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Strengths:    Everything about it !! All I hear is how bad it is at slow technical riding. Even Norco says it's only for high speed downhills. Bullpoop my fist time up to the woodlot I concored more obstcles than I could ever imagine. I corners great, and feels very sturdy at slow speeds.I can't wait to get back there again. Everyone says it's such a terrible freeriding bike, if that's the case I can't wait to ride the bike you build me. Hell I'll be pro in no time. If the Shore is so great for North Shore terain why isn't the Team DH it's only 1cm longer. Don't beleive me look it up.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any Yet!!

Bottom Line:
Don't beleive everything you hear, go out and try one for yourself. If you don't like it find something you like. Bottom line is Have Fun.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock with shivers

Submitted by Mark a Downhiller from Maple Ridge. BC

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Bomb proof frame, You would have to case a hugh kicker to mess up this frame. pretty solid spec for this monster.

Weaknesses:    Rear chainstay could be a little tougher/thicker. Other then that .. no other weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth it. She's a heavy set bike and there aint nothing wrong with that, it can handle anything you huck at it, or off with it. I would say this bike is for the extreme rider, the one who likes going big everytime.
I love this bike .. and I can't wait for the 2003 Team to come out, I love the new look it has and I will definitly be purchasing one.

Favorite Trail:   Any that sparks a rush

Purchased At:   Borrowed

Similar Products Used:   Norco Shore and Fluid. I like the DH!

Bike Setup:   Standard DH gear .. Shiver, rear Fox vanilla RC 7.8". Raceface, Shimano, Hayes 8" hydraulic frnt/rear.

Submitted by Bryan Mcalister a Racer from bountiful,ut,usa

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    everything especially the rear triangle and the shiver

Weaknesses:    the forks have some flex and it also has a little too much head angle. i accidentally drive over crosscountry rider and my mom yells at me.

Bottom Line:
it can handle anything you put it up to and it is the best thing for running over crosscountryers

Favorite Trail:   deervalley

Purchased At:   golsan cycles

Similar Products Used:   my friends norco team dh other than that the only thing i had was a wall mart special mongoose so there is no comparison

Bike Setup:   all stock except for the purple hayes

Submitted by Kidder a Weekend Warrior from Port Moody

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    It is super plush - for the time limited time I have had it, I have found that it will eat up just about anything (see bottom line for caveat).

Weaknesses:    Heavy (None) - I knew this when I bought it.

Bottom Line:
Well, the bike is the sweetest ride I have had to date BUT and that is one big BUT my experience has been somewhat negative.

On the fourth ride I did a really easy ride with my wife. I came off of log that was about 3-4 high - blew three spokes in the back rim (not a big deal) BUT, at the same time, I ended up bending the ENTIRE back rear triangle. The bike is currently in the shop and it will cost about $500 to replace the chainstay, the rear triangle and the spring swing arm. When I bought the bike I was told it would be bomb proof - no such luck. The biggest kicker of all is that the shop says that it won't be covered by warranty!

I had a bunch of people with me at the time and they can't believe how the backend crumpled like a tin can. I think I will contact Norco directly to voice my opinion!

Sooo - I have to give an overall rating as 3 Chilis. I am quite dissapointed. Once I have it back on the trail I will update.

Favorite Trail:   Burke - Woodlot

Similar Products Used:   RM6

Bike Setup:   2002 VPS Team DH, 2002 Shivers - Stock

Submitted by will (wiwo) koenig a Downhiller from Vermont, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    FRAME, SHOCK, HADLEY BOLT THROUGH HUB, REAL STIFF REAR END AND PRETTY SWEET ANGELS

Weaknesses:    SHE IS A TINY BIT NOISY, a little short in the cocky pit

Bottom Line:
FAIRLY cheap for what it is, i bought frame shock and hub and since then i have been smiling, this bike is awesome. It handles really well, good in the air...it glides the fox shock is crazy and has a lot of adjustment, the cock pit is a little short but it is good for you can throw the bike around more. the linkage is as stiff as a corps in a freezer and works in harmony with the front end of the frame, head angles, bb height and length all feel right, i have improved my riding speed and skill heaps since owning this bike. some people dont like them but i reckon they are great, if you are looking for a bike that will handle dhing, some jumping , free riding etc... U HAVE FOUND IT. if u are in the market for a new dh bike frame or comp bike, give the norco a once over before paying 1000's for an intense that does the same thing but has a name about it.

Favorite Trail:   Warburton( dunno who built that track but it rocks)Mt beauty, thredbo , buller, MT BAW BAW

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   bicycle superstore, nunawading (03) 9894 4266

Similar Products Used:   RACELINE EXTREAM DH, GIANT ATX, M1, KOJIMA FATT DH (MADEST DH BIKE EVA)

Bike Setup:   7" BOXXERS, HAYES, HADLEY, BLACKSPIRE, 321'S, MICHELINS, XT, PLANET-X ETC ETC ETC GOOD SET UP

Submitted by Joe Blow a Downhiller from Okatokes

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, Plush, Pedal's well, No flex at all, Thru-axle hub.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, short top tube, Loud!!!

Bottom Line:
Wicked ass bike, my skills on DH improved two fold since buying this bike. I have more confidence on it than any other bike I've ever had, drops are easier, jumps are easier, going faster is easier. Best bike out there for the money and possibly the best DH bike out there period.