Mongoose Fairlane 2002 Full Suspension

2.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Yogi a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    the frame IS Fantastic and it pivots around the bottom bracket which means I/you can pedal whilst the rear suspension is active
custom pin striping that are painted on NOT STICKERS

Very impressive drilled out CNC Head tube that draws heaps of attention

Weaknesses:    the components that come with the bike.

Bottom Line:
OK its got a porch head set... what is that? Its a headset that can change the rake of the forks to either give a longer wheelbase for better stability at speed or steeper to be more agile. I set it to shorter wheelbase and steeper and have never changed it to this day. I do own the correct tools to adjust it too.I had to ask for them but, Thanks mongoose! (Scott)

The parts that came with this bike where truly recreational... Very depressing Acera X stuff... I used the frame once with the original components and thought not very much.

After the upgrade the bike became the bike TO RIDE.
Really fantastic. I could climb with the seat up and keep up with my XC mates and with the seat down I could truly hit any ridable decent and it was goooooooood.

All my friends eventually rode this bike and it was the envy of them all. the bike rides really fine.

This is my favorite bike to ride on descents as it is agile and with the pivot point in the right place (bottom bracket) you can pedal while its active. I have not been really impressed with any other dual freeride bike yet.

This bike is a few years old and the design is no longer being made.The Fairlane came after the Newman frames and was replaced by the Tocali.
however I totaly disagree with the other rating on this page. I use this bike often and still love it.

In the What type of cyclist best describes you? section.. I did put Weekend Warrior cause its what I am... Only that I ride almost everyday and im agressive but I dont race. I hit urban assault very hard and will fly with the pros on the road and in the dirt i go up .. err slow...... I'm told I have skills. I'm heavy set and I am in no hurry to go up any hill but I go up obsticals with vigor.

Damn I love this bike

Purchased At:   Le Spit Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Actually I have used a lot of Dual freeride bikes but ony those with Horsht link are similar

Bike Setup:   Hayes HFX brakes, Marzocci Drop Off forks, SRAM X9 gears.
these parts did not come with the bike.
only original parts are the cranks cause they are stuck to the bottom bracket from being splashed into the salt water once and the rear shock.

The bike of the same frame with the component and colour upgrade is the " Gran Marquee" (silvery grey colour) it has Saint components.

Submitted by ryan v v a Downhiller from n.j.

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    suckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssuckssucks

Weaknesses:    bottom line is that it sucks?

Bottom Line:
it beats my friends coiler big time. but it SUCKS

Purchased At:   pedalsports