Marin Mount Vision 2002 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

6061 Aluminum Twin Monocoque Front, lightweight Monocoque Alumnium Swingarm with Disk Mounts. • Answer Mars Elite, 80mm of Travel Fork • Fox Float R, with Rebound Adjuster Rear Shock • WTB Grease lite Comp AL Threadless 1 1/8" Headset

Submitted by johnny carr a Cross Country Rider from wakefield, yorkshire .UK

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight, handles well at speed

Weaknesses:    really poor climber. Bobbed all over the plac. Have now sent the bike back & Chevin were excellent they gave me almost a full refund. Replaced it with another Whyte 46

Bottom Line:
Just nothing like as good as the previous and earlier model

Favorite Trail:   dalby forest

Purchased At:   chevin cycles

Submitted by Matthew Hutchinson a Cross Country Rider from Llandrindod Wells

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Strengths:    The complete package takes some beating, the gearing is spot on, the light Avid Brakes are so good. This is my third FSR Marin, they just keep getting better.

Weaknesses:    There are none

Bottom Line:
This has to be the best bike of the whole range, and I can warrant that they are good value and have had no problems what so ever with the rear suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Nant - Aereon

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rift Zone, 98 and 00

Bike Setup:   Azonic risor bars and race face seat post, otherwise the rest is standard

Submitted by Matt Stephens a Cross Country Rider from Llandrindod Wells, Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is brilliant, my last bike was a Marin, and this one is superb, it accelerates like lightening, it handles great, the ride is brilliant.

Weaknesses:    The Minotaur 380 tyres it comes with! But these can be replaced.

Bottom Line:
This bike is brilllllllliant!!!!!!! Buy one

Similar Products Used:   Marin Alpine train

Bike Setup:   2002 Marin Mount Vision, Hope M4 disc brakes (185 front), DMR V12 Magnesium pedals

Submitted by mark needs a Weekend Warrior from wales (united kingdom)

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Strengths:    light,fast,awesome mud clearance,high bottom bracket no chance of grounding pedals as with specialized,colour,very little maintenance, climbs like a mountain goat.

Weaknesses:    none as yet if it`s any where as good as my 2000 east peak will not have any weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the dogs b******s i had a brand new 2003 s-works enduro but after only four rides of bottoming out had to get rid of it, back to doing my local trails in record times again, for uk ridding get a marin frs you won`t be dissapointed the specalized was a nice plush ride but given the choice marin every time no contest.

Favorite Trail:   afon argoed and cwm carn

Purchased At:   west end cycles

Similar Products Used:   specialized fsr stumpjumper, marin east peak, specialized s-works enduro (2003)

Bike Setup:   full xt groupset, wtb headset and saddle, ea50 stem,seatpost and riser bars, hope m4 front (185) hope mini (165)rear, mavic x317 wheels with disc rims, and zocchi pro coil forks (everything is 2003 except the frame which although bought 2003 is a 2002 frame)

Submitted by Chet a Cross Country Rider from Northern California

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong component group, tracks like it is on rails, climbs well, easily adjustable suspension, looks sweet.

Weaknesses:    Not available in XL sizes. No lockout, but it is not really needed, as the suspension doesn't bob when properly set up unless you are hammering.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'4", 205 lbs.
I couldn't get the bike in XL, but it fits me well, doesn't feel cramped. I was worried about excessive bob when climbing, but once I got the shock set up, it climbed well with no power loss.
Downhill it rips, feels very solid over gatorbacked highspeed and tight turns. I haven't made any huge drops over on it, but it handles the drops I did make very well.
The stock tires are light, but don't grab as well as the Panracer Fire's I put on it. Well worth the xtra weight, in my book.
Bottom line, anyone looking for a good cross country machine should definitely give the Mt Vision a good look.

Favorite Trail:   Stinky's

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper FSR comp.

Bike Setup:   Except for the tires, it is stock, with XT/XTR components, the new Answer Skareb forks w/ reversed arch. Fox Float R shock, Avid SD 7 brakes...etc. The only change I made was to put some better tires on it.

Submitted by Antony Ferguson a Cross Country Rider from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, Quick, Nice handling and good looks!

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Thought long and hard about which bike to buy, with a £2000 budget, i had a lot of choice. Looked at Jekyll's, orange Sub 5's, Trek fuel's. Wanted something light and agile for fast cross country and general fun on the trails. The Marin definetly fits the bill, having been out every weekend since i got it, and still with a smile on my face.
For anyone looking at full sussers and worried about climbing ability, i can safely say the marin design works amazingly well. My mate struggles to keep up now, and i spend the majority of the time waiting for him at the top of climbs.
I feel the extra money was well spent on the mountvision rather than a lower spec model. The fact it needs very little upgrading in the future is good, anyone on a lower budget should consider the lower spec bikes and look to upgrade bit at a time.

Last thing honestly! Go for the great value hope brake upgrade, especially if you live in sunny UK!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Sutton Park, Birmingham

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike- 10 year old hardtail

Bike Setup:   Hope mini upgrade, Manitou mars elite, Fox float RL, XT, XTR Rear.

Submitted by Stewart Philpotts a Cross Country Rider from KIDDERMINSTER

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, smooth with a capital smoooo, well spec'd, quick.

Weaknesses:    Suspension is a little soft, but I am a big boy!! It would be nice to lock out the front forks. That's all.

Bottom Line:
If you're thinking of buying this bike then go ahead you won't be dissapointed. The Hope minis are good enough to stop even me and my bulk - I am an Ex Gym monster who wanted to improve my CV. My riding includes all conditons and the bike flies up hills and slices through thick mud with ease. You can adjust the rear suspension on the move which is great if you know you're gonna do some down hilling. Just buy it, whoever you are!!!

Favorite Trail:   ANY!!!

Purchased At:   Stan's in Shrewsbury

Similar Products Used:   No full sussers only Scott and Specialised hard tails ( Timber, Hard Rock and over spec'd Rock Hopper( nothing but trouble)).

Bike Setup:   Factory.

Submitted by H-P Verhoeven a Cross Country Rider from Buckinghamshire, UK

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Gorgeous looks, handling, speed, components, 'alive'

Weaknesses:    twitchy, not as comfy as Rock Springs (could do with more fork travel)

Bottom Line:
Converted this 'hardtailer'. I did not think a full susser could be this good. Fast or what! Loved every minute and sad to give it back to the shop. A little twitchy to start with and may floor newbies before they get used to it (you need to be awake).

Favorite Trail:   Ashridge Common