Kona Mokomoko 2002 Full Suspension

4.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from UK (south)

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, great handling, confidence inspiring, looks beautiful, well designed.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
When I had to ditch my scott endorphine carbon fibre steed I had a tear in my eye, however when I transfered the parts over to my new mokomoko frame someone had turned the light on at the end of the tunnel! Taking the bike on familier trails bought a whole new faster edge to all the downhills, sure it's not as fast as the scott on the uphills but it's not that far off. Such a comfortable ride, plush travel allowing extra traction, improved braking, better cornering, you find yourself braking much later into corners, saying this I would not like to try this with V brakes. A big thank you to all those involved at Kona!! I'm not sure how much this frame would have cost new but buying it second hand in immaculate condition was excellent value for money.

Favorite Trail:   Kingley Vale

Purchased At:   ebay (frame only, 2nd hand, mint)

Similar Products Used:   Kona coiler

Bike Setup:   XT through out, 717 wheels with panaracer firetrails, PACE evo 3 forks, hope mono front brake, easton carbon riser bars and seatpost.

Submitted by Delfo a Weekend Warrior from Legnago

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Lite frame, no problem fork, comfortable xc bike

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
With the new setup, I am really more than satisfied, I dare much more on downhills (without abusing in hard drops).
I would never go back to hardtails or non tubeless. Maybe I will try some weight reduction to dedicate this bike to XC and buy a more agressive freeride bike like stinky or so. Very satisfied with Kona overall, dealer included.

Favorite Trail:   Rampilonga

Purchased At:   Spiderbike, Este (PD), Italy

Bike Setup:   Compared to my last review, I changed to Hayes disk brakes (hydraulic) and Crossroc UST wheelset with scorpion 2" tubless tires. All this radically changed the bike.

Submitted by lauren a Cross Country Rider from asheville NC 22801

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    Frame strength, rear shock, components and paint job

Weaknesses:    tires, bottom bracket and stem & handlebar setup

Bottom Line:
I have been very happy with this bike. It has taken much abuse (riding almost everyday in rain, mud and even snow) It also handles like a dream, almost like a Lincoln Town Car, dwn the trail.

Favorite Trail:   whatever is in front of me

Bike Setup:   stock except changed tires to a 2.5 weirwolf in front and a 2.3 z-max in rear and race face bb

Submitted by Roman a Cross Country Rider from Cranford, NJ

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, tracks well.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. Super light weight, and durable. Handles extremely well, and well balanced. Great all round XC bike.

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Bike Setup:   Far from stock. XT brakes, XT cranks, XT rear and front derailer, XT brake levers and shifters. Thompson stem and seat post. Bontrager Valiant front and rear rims. Mavic 601 hubs. Answer cardon fiber riser bars, Panaracer XC Pro 2.1 tires, Teflon cables, Chris King head set. Bontrager saddle. Salsa seat post clamp. Fox float R rear shock. Rock shox Duke SL air front shock. Lock jaw grips.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from San Fernando, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent all around trail bike. Great at climbing and desending. Super handling bike. Very comfortable with good solid compenents. Replaced flat bar with riser.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires (replaced with Panaracer Fire XC Pro)

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike and would recommend it to anyone.

Purchased At:   The Backcountry, Tahoe City

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exceptions of tires and riser bar

Submitted by Craig Cox a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    The Bike is well centered. The wheel base is just right for people who love to climb and descend quickly.

Weaknesses:    The shock did not have enough travel for big hits. The tires sucked. The brakes are O.K.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike(after the adjustments). It rides very well, much better than the Specialized. For the money it is a good performer.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek Trail (Morrison)

Purchased At:   Grand West Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   I owned a 1999 Specialized FRS Stumpjumper Pro. That bike had some geometry issues. The Kona is far better for me.

Bike Setup:   I replaced the shock with a Fox Vanilla rlc 125, a Thompson stem,King head set(this made the bike a little more trail worthy!)Race Face riser bars, XTR rear der. and Conti 2.3 tires. I am now working on replacing the brakes.

Submitted by Glenn a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Light frame, good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Would like disc brakes but the Avids work better than others I've used.

Bottom Line:
Go with the bigger tires, you'll be happy. This is a great bike for the money. I'll probably move to disc and tubeless in the future but the ride is plush and climbs good. I'll update after I put some serious miles in. I tested the Jekyll 600 but to me this is a much more versatile ride. I think this bike will last me for quite some time. Not for big drops, if you're looking for drops/big time free style look at the Bear or Stinky.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized A-1 Ground Control, various Marin Hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Time ATAC carbons and Panaracer Fire XC Pros

Submitted by Delfino Corti a Weekend Warrior from Legnago

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Strengths:    Same as in my first review, but I would underline LITE FRAME

Weaknesses:    Tioga tires are not versatile, but good on mud
Some minor problem of adjustment of the headset.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden 400 miles in the last month, going out almost every day during my wonderful holidays on the Dolomites Alps. The princess responded very proudly to each solicitation, making my wife going jelous.
I have participated to my first race, which made me very happy: it was an up-hill (not a tremendous one) and the princess ran fairly well. It catched up some of the guys in the last 5km of descent before the finish line. Amazing (almost dangerous) sensation of smoothness on the descent: the rear shock makes you unaware of your speed...

Favorite Trail:   Rampilonga

Purchased At:   Spiderbike Este

Bike Setup:   Stock except Eleven riser bar

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Mendocino, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Strengths:    A lightweight bike that really feels substantial. For 1350.00 I also scored one of the top frames made by Kona. To change componants is easy...to change frames is a bit tougher.

Weaknesses:    The only thing at this point I would change is the braking system. I test rode the Manomano (which had too much front end bob for me) and loved the disc brakes. Will most likely change over when I get the cash. So far, the bike rocks.

Bottom Line:
I scored the bike from a dealer who needed the cash...hence what I believe is a great price. Out the door at 1350.00. I feel the bike is ideal for me...except for the braking system. I liked the idea of getting a top of the line frame and changing componants as my wallet and experience grow. Furthermore,I prefer the shorter handlebar setup on the mokomoko over the mano. Easier to install climbing posts. I prefer to climb and found it better suited to me than the mano (I could really feel the weight difference).

Favorite Trail:   Little Valley

Purchased At:   Back Country

Similar Products Used:   Manomano

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    Easton Ultralite Frame, Marzocchi MXR, Fox Float R, Race face crankset, Lx Hubs and mavic 221 rims

Weaknesses:    1.8 Tioga tires, lx front derailleur, chain

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent cross country bike. I have only had it for a week, and I love it. I am still working on dialing in the suspension to my liking, but it is so smooth already. I have already taken the bike out on four different trails just to see how it handles in different situations. Normally after multiple days of hard riding my body gets beat up, but not on this bike. I don't think I could go back to a hardtail now. The bike climbs really well, and handles very well. I am a faster and more controlled downhiller now, and I am considering disc brakes for more precise braking. I never thought disc brakes were necessary in MO, but with the speed of full suspension they are. The top tube is a little short for me, but I probably should of bought a 20". I am planning on putting on a flat stem and a riser bar and the bike should be complete. I am going to Colorado in 2 weeks, and I will update my review then.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb

Purchased At:   Touring Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Demoed Klein Adept Pro, Trek Fuel 98, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   XTR front and rear derailleur, Sella Italia Flite saddle, XT cassette

Submitted by Delfo Corti a Weekend Warrior from Legnago (Italy)

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Lite frame
Rear suspension works very well and when needed
Avid Brakes
Good components selection

Weaknesses:    Tioga 1.8" tires not really versatile
Somewhat flexy sensation on front suspension but maybe it's a matter of fork regulation

Bottom Line:
It's my first full suspended bike and I am very satisfied with it. It clims well, it runs like hell on descents (not for downhillers though) and you can stay on it the whole day. Rear shock lockout is a gadget, perhaps an unuseful one: you can feel no bobbing.
I used to get exhausted after 3 hours on my Bottecchia. Now I go back home still in shape after four or five and this makes my wife very happy.
It's really lite for a full: mine is a 20" frame and weights only 11,8 kilos (26 lbs).
Very, very enjoyable bike.
I do not race, I don't know if it suits for racers.

Favorite Trail:   Lessinia Legend

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Spiderbike Este

Similar Products Used:   None: used to have a Bottecchia FX 5.60 (front suspended), heavier than my new Kona (!)

Bike Setup:   Stock exept Eleven raiser bar. Maybe I'll put disks some time, but Avid brakes really work very well.

Submitted by Mendo a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    It's a Kona

Weaknesses:    No disk, hope mini wounld ahve been nice

Bottom Line:
raceable xc fs bike from Kona

Favorite Trail:   Skyline Park, Napa, CA

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Strengths:    Quality components, frame design. Brakes are great, shocks perform good. The way the bike feels when ridden.

Weaknesses:    Grips thin and creaks, creaks, creaks. Still trying to find the creaks. Local bike shop got rid of some but they come right back after 5 miles, e-mailed Kona for help, hope they respond soon.

Bottom Line:
Very quick and nimble bike, some may say "flexy" or "twitchy" but thats not quite right. Great climber, excellent descender on rough technical sections and the same when climbing back up those rocky parts, just zips right over it. Sucks up the hits very nicely and is easy on the body when on long rides. Cross country riders looking for a good all around, all day bike would like this. I compared this bike to the Trek and Sugar, rode each bike a lot, Trek was very close in feel but heavier by far and with lower quality components, Sugar felt way too squishy/soft. Well worth the extra bucks for quality and having a bike thats not produced for the masses.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna Meadow, Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Town & Country

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Joshua, Trek 90, Fisher Sugar 3, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Easton Monkeylite 3/4" rise bars, Easton 110mm stem, Time pedals, IRC Mythos tires, Specialized Body Geometry saddle.

Submitted by adam broflowski a Cross Country Rider from victoria, bc

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    nice color frame
cranks

Weaknesses:    for the price, this bike is nasty
all konas are priced too high
giant nrs is better value for money
brakes are garbage. should have discs
front fork is not smooth. flexes. overall feels bad
does not ride as nice as most full suspension xc bikes.

Bottom Line:
do not buy this bike unless you get an amazing deal. there are many more fs xc bikes that have better components and ride better for the $$$

brakes are trash... extremely

fork is trully bad. feels good at start. but believe me it is bad

nice paint job though