Kona Manomano 2002 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Ynte a Weekend Warrior from Deventer, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looks, none of my friends has it, frame can take severe punishment, great service from Kona

Weaknesses:    Standard setup: crankset, brakes, rear shocks, basically all moving parts need soon replacement. In the standard setup, the front end is indeed quite light causing flipovers during steep uphill climbing attempts.

Bottom Line:
This was a great bike for getting used to riding full-suspension. Most moving parts wore out quickly and had to be replaced by better quality ones (especially the brakes and the rear shocks!). I have abused it intensely for 6 years, before the first defect to the frame appeared: a broken chainstay. Even though I bought it from German Ebay, I could get warranty via Monaco at a dealer in the Netherlands close to where I live. Within a week I had the spare part (for free!), and within two weeks I was riding again. Excellent service from Kona! With my current setup the bike is almost perfect: practically no maintenance and easy shifting even in stand-still (Alfine hub), no more too light front end because of the RS fork, and no bobbing with the Manitou Swinger SPV rear shocks. Nearly indestructible, rides solid like a tank. Yes, it weighs a few kg, but that's good training in my opinion.
Conclusion: good bike for starters who don't mind about a kg more or less.

Purchased At:   Ebay Germany

Similar Products Used:   None; rode hardtail until I bought this one

Bike Setup:   Current: Rockshox Reba 318 solo Air fork, Manitou Swinger SPV rear shocks, Shimano Alfine 8-gear hub, Shimano XT Hollowtech crank, Hayes H9 hydraulic brakes, Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires

Submitted by Julie a Cross Country Rider from Upper Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Strengths:    light, decent components, relatively cheap

Weaknesses:    chainstay cracked in half, which Kona replaced
would be nice to have hydraulic brakes instead of mechanical disk.

Bottom Line:
While it is the only decent mountain bike I have ever owned, I couldn't be happier. However, I never do drops yet somehow my chainstay cracked in half, which Kona replaced. Other than that setback I have had no problems with the bike. The bike handles nicely on technical single-track trails and I highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   Cross Country Sports

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    This bike has a real solidly built frame. For the price, the components are of really great value. The suspension is great for advanced single track, and is very plush on drops and downhill sections. The tires work well in rocky wet and dirty situations with roots. The Fox Vanilla R is a really durable shock. I can tighten it up easily for fast and smooth single tracks or loosen it up for drops and downhill sections. Also with the adjustable rebound I can really have great controll over the rear end. The Marizo. MXR in the front is reall plush, it bombs rite over rocks.

Weaknesses:    I found that the front end is a bit too light for my liking. This is my first bike with disc brakes, all I can say is that given Hayes rep. I expected more out of the breaks, but hey, they'e only mechanical. The two smaller chain rings in the front got bent easily. The tires don't quite handle dry uphills very well, and on pavement the rear suspension is a real drag, but then again that's not what the bike was made for.

Bottom Line:
Even though the cons section seems overwhelmingly long, the bike is a great bang for the buck. I gain more confidence every time I ride. I can throw anything at it from 5 foot drops to fast single track and it performs exceptionally well. If your looking for a great all around bike for a great price find one of these before they run out.

Favorite Trail:   Buckwallow Cycle Centre

Purchased At:   Dukes Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS XTC 3.
Gary Fisher Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Guy a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap(ish), robust, good components.

Weaknesses:    Front end lightness (see below). Peddles are fine in the dry, sh1tty in wet. Cleats don't release when caked in mud and plastic platforms slip in the wet.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for weekend xc. Seems to be totally maintenance free apart from the odd tweek here and there. Brakes took a few rides to wear in, but then are excellent. Prefer to hydros as more graduated feel.
Front lightness was odd at first, but actually enjoy it now. Just a case of adapting riding style to suit. Prefer lightness on dropoffs too. More confidence.

Purchased At:   Edwards of Camberley

Similar Products Used:   First full sus

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano SPD 545 peddles

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from Newcastle Upon Tyne, England

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    Hard Frame, Reasonably light, shifts well with LX mech and deore shifters, good grips(!), nice fork once worn in. I haven't used it much for XC as I live in the middle of a city and can't be assed to travel out! Therefore, I tend to use it more of a freeride/street riding bike. Jumping off low walls, getting on and off of benches, balancing the front on obstacles etc. All of which it seems to do with no hassel, even though it wasn't really designed for this! Hasn't broke yet!

Weaknesses:    Didn't like the original mechanical brakes. Got rid of them straight away for some hope mini's front and rear (soooo much better, if you haven't got hydraulics you dont know what powerful braking is!. Also light end when climbing. And I dont know whether anyone else gets it, but I seem to get loads of punctures.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE MY BIKE! Good looks, good spec, and a good bike to start the upgrade path. It'll take anything you through at it, XC, Downhill, freeride, street riding. A very versatile bike for those that like a bit of everything!I got mine for £799 in mid 2003 which is good as it retails for about £1400 in England. What a bargain! You need this bike in your life. Pimpin' baby!

Favorite Trail:   Chamonix, France

Purchased At:   Rutland Water Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Old bike was a Marin Bear Valley SE (R.I.P.!). Tried out a Marin Shoreline Trail (Sh*t), SPecialised Rockhopper Pro Disc (good), Kona Kahuna (good), GT I-drive (average, felt wierd), Whyte (strange but good for XC not for me though).

Bike Setup:   As stock but with Hope Minis. Gonna get some new pedals in the near future and maybe a more aggresive front fork like the marzocchi dirt jumpers. Plus upgrade as and when needed.

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from Buford, Ga

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    As purchased, the bike is perfectly functional for a beginner to intermediate rider. The frame and suspension are superb. Granted, the front end is a little light, but you can work that out with tuning, and a new stem.

Weaknesses:    The Hayes Mechanical Discs are CRAP.

Bottom Line:
If you can get into this bike for under $800, you have a VERY good platform for building a top notch bike.

Favorite Trail:   96 Olympic Course, Conyers

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Bike Setup:   Well, the frame and the wheels are still the same. XT cranks and bottom bracket. XT front and rear derailleurs. Avid Mechanical disc bracks. Avid SpeedDial 7's. Profdigy Raceface Stem, Easton seatpost, WTS Velociraptors, WTS Rocket 5 seat. XT Shifters. SRAM Cassette.

Submitted by Todd V. a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Well built, very stable & FUN! Light front end makes bike very manuverable. Descends & climbs well.

Weaknesses:    No external suspension adjustment, light front end can bite you if forget, slow tires.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2002 model in 2003 and got a really great deal. I was able to put the money (plus some more) back into the bike. This bike rides fantastic, makes me count the days between rides. Your confidence will double on every ride. The bike is very stable yet responsive, just make sure you have the suspension system set to your style as there isn't any real external adjustment. Changing out the stem\handlebars is a must *see light front end* (longer stem w/ lower rise, XC bars) as the original set-up is awkward. This bike actually climbs well once you get used to moving up on your seat.
The tires are curious, seem to like slow technical riding with a fondness for the muck. The tires would be great for a beginner (very stable-slow rolling).
The original stock components are acceptable but with some extra money you can really take this bike to the next level... and this frame is worth it.
Thanks Kona!!

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury Mnt

Purchased At:   Allspeed Bike

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd Gary Fisher Sugar 3 disk, Specialized Enduro, Rocky Mountain Element, Giant NRS 2.
And of course, my 1996 pre-genesis geometry Gary Fisher Big Sur.

Bike Setup:   Fox Float\Marzocchi Shox, XT f\r der-crank-shifters, hayes mech disks, race face prodigy stem\bar, thompsen seatpost, speedplay frog pedals

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from Morris County

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    Light front allows for easy lifts over rocks and logs, even with 120 mm stem. I find I need very little momentum to lift and clear even the largest diameter logs.

Weaknesses:    Very light front end tended to lift off the ground on uphills. My first attempt at a wheelie landed me flat on my back. This was cured with a new 120 mm stem and by adapting to the bike's setup.

Bottom Line:
After switching to a longer stem, I am completely satisfied with the bike. It is great fun to ride, easily handles any terrain, steep, rocky, uphill, downhill, and is extremely durable. I've gone down hard several times on this bike and even watched from the ground as it flew over my head after endoing on an extremely steep and rocky downhill section. The bike emerged completely unscathed, although I was hurting. Given the price, features, (especially the disk brakes), and the excellent ride quality, I feel this bike is an excellent value.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood State Park

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cindercone
Kona Cindercone, Cannondale Jeckyl

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 120mm no rise stem and XT rear derailuer

Submitted by Lead Feet a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta Ga

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Value and stock components for the $$$$$

Weaknesses:    Like others, feel the front end is light. Big change from my hard tail

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with the bike. Great first FS at a great price. The stock Deore parts are fine as well as the truative crank. Hayes mechanical disc's are awesome. Marzocci bomber front fork is sweet. Will upgrade parts as I break them or due to wear. Great purchase that will keep the wife off your back especially if you dropped some serious coin on a road bike 5 months ago.

I am 42 and this bike will add years to my back and prostrate. Give Kona a look. There are too many Cannondale's, trek's and Gary Fisher's out there anyway.

Favorite Trail:   96 Olympic Course, Conyers

Purchased At:   Reality Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jek 600, GF Sugar 4, trek fuel 800.

Bike Setup:   Stock with exception of stem. To combat the frontend lightness factor I got longer stem 120mm with negative rise. Positioned seat forward which took care of most of the problem. Get your local store to work with your on the stem and you will save a few bucks.

Submitted by Paul Gelineau a Cross Country Rider from Poulsbo, WA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2002

Strengths:    Avid disc brakes, Float Rear, Bomber fronts. Can be set up for a very soft ride on some cobble rock which used to really beat me up on the rigid frames. Even though the derailures are not the top of the line I find them to be adequately responsive for general riding. The fully active frame is responsive to the terrain and the riders position.

Weaknesses:    I agree with every one else, the front end is quite light and tends to come off on steep climbs. One has to be a bit careful or you may find it on top of you rather than the other way around. Lack of rebound control on the Fox Float rear shock. Top tube's a bit on the long side.

Bottom Line:
I find it to be a fine bike for all around riding, easier technical single track and great for cross country. Those brakes are simply outstanding and were one of the major reasons for the purchase. While the components aren't the best they'll certainly be adequate and upgrading is always an easy option.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Big Quilcene

Purchased At:   Back Country, Tahoe

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra

Bike Setup:   Avid discs, Shimano LX, Fox float, Bomber, Shimano clipless

Submitted by Zuke a Cross Country Rider from Draper, UT

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth on the downhills

Weaknesses:    Not the greatest climber

Bottom Line:
A good all around bike for the above average rider but it falls short if you like steep technical climbing and decending (I had to walk a few places that I'm not used to walking). I loved it on the downhill, it was very stable and hands free on the gravel road but It was a little long in the top tube for the tight stuff. I am coming off of a totally rigid bike and looking for my first F/S, this is not the bike for me but it is a great cruiser.

Favorite Trail:   Corner Canyon/Jacobs Ladder

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Russell a Cross Country Rider from Auckland

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Good level of equipment, comfortable saddle, reasonably light and strong.
Good brakes. Adjustable rear shock, little bob uphill. Fast down hill. The bike goes well on hardpack, sand or mud all on the same ride. The standard tires are fine, though going to a 2.1 is even better.

Weaknesses:    Don't like the Shimano clipless pedals.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for my use, general riding cross country for a not so young rider (45+) weighing 95 kilos with a tired back.

Favorite Trail:   WoodHill

Purchased At:   BkeBarn

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kahuna. Fuji Tahoe DSC.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much standard apart from replacing the Shimano pedals with Keywin DownHill pedals. Sometimes Continental Traction / Navigator or WTB Velocoraptors.

Submitted by mano mano a Downhiller from seattle

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    bomber shox, tires (even stock), great rear (suspension and weight) not bad up a hill, gets passed by hardtails, coming down...haven't ridden anything better

Weaknesses:    really light front end, bobs up a bit going up

Bottom Line:
This was my first fs bike and I don't think I'll be getting a new one, ever. love the bike!!! not to heavy, front end could be heavier (seems to be a theme, but it jumps great. handles well round tight turns...did i mention i love kona for this bike? I think this would be a great bike for every one looking for a first fs bike (might be good for adv. riders too...?) love kona, hate kona, you gotta love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   fantastic

Purchased At:   Wedgewood Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Norco storm (canadian hardtail, various other hardtails, that was my most recent

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from West Suffield, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    -Frame build
-Suspension
-Components

Weaknesses:    -Light front end

Bottom Line:
A great bike. Good on all terrain. I ride on technical, rocky territory most of the time (the trail passes right behind my house), and this bike does beautifully. Great brakes and suspension - very plush, but doesn't bottom out easily. Can handle most of what you throw at it. As I (and other reviewers) have said, the front end tends to lift if you aren't careful, since it's so light, but it still doesn't take much away from this all-around great bike. I think I'm in love.

Favorite Trail:   Metacomet

Purchased At:   Gravity Warehouse

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Phil Yates a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    Back suspension, disk brakes, build quality

Weaknesses:    Stem has too much angle causing a light front end.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike on a Friday lunchtime and rode the bike on a 68km race the next day and enjoyed finding out the character of the bike. Absolutely impressed with the rear suspension and disk brakes. The bikes feel very confident on tight trails and excelled on the downhills. Nice and sharp on climbs with very little bob. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Bike Setup:   Hayes disk brakes, spd pedals, bomber shox, Kona saddle, stem, no name handle bar, Fox float rear shock.

Best fork for my son's Kona Manomano

My 10 year old son has a Kona Manomano (about 2001). It's in great shape, had hardly been ridden before we bought it...full XT, Race Face cranks, Fox Float shock, but the fork is a Manitou SX-R,and it's a bit long in the tooth. He's about 85 lbs, and likes to ride this bike more as a FR than an XC, ... Read More »

Best fork for my son's Kona Manomano

Fork upgrade for Kona ManoMano

My son has a 2005 (?) Kona Manomano full susp. with a Manitou SX-R fork. The fork is working fine, but he's looking for something a little more aggresive to handle some bigger drops, jumps etc. We live in the Vancouver area, so his riding encompasses everything from XC to North Shore. He's 11 years ... Read More »

2001 Kona Manomano

I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 Kona Manomano at the moment. However, i know absolutely NOTHING about this bike, so i have no real idea on how much its actually worth, and what it might cost me for maintenance. Of course, i need to actually take a good luck at this bike, but i need a ball park ... Read More »

Manomano '02

I have the opportunity to buy a minimally used 02 Manomano size small for my wife or 14 yo, whom ever wants to ride with me more often. The price is low enough. I want to know about the suspension set up. From the websites pics, it has a 4 bar look. Does it use bushings or bearings back there? A ... Read More »