Kona Kahuna 2002 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Matt Steele a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    This bike makes riding addictive!Well made frame and I've taken it all over the world and its never failed.Good components supplied for the money,easy to maintain.

Weaknesses:    The front shock lets it down,I broke the spring twice and the stanchions were always sticky.The rear shock was too heavy.

Bottom Line:
If you like to go fast on the way to work or XC trails after this bike is great.Its been reliable to me for 4 years riding it every day on all kinds of trails every where.

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   First full sus.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to Rock Shox Reba race on the front and Ario on the rear.Hayes Nine disc brakes.This has made a huge difference in every area and a lot lighter-now a super bike!I only made these upgrades this year,after 3 years on the old shocks.

Submitted by nathan ashton a Cross Country Rider from cornwall, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    Nice setup in the rear end! components are good for the price, rides well, rear setup doesn't take much power away from pedaling.

Weaknesses:    rear chain stay broke the first week I had the bike, and the fork sucked ass!!

Bottom Line:
this bike is awesome for the everyday trail rider, nice set up, gives the least amount of power loss when pedaling looks great! this bike is cheap, but rides like alot of expensive bikes, i drove the Norco atomik for alittle more than a year before i got the kahuna, and id choose the kahuna over the atomik any day!!! great bike kona!
(it was a pain in the ass to get the rear chain stay replaced on my bike when it broke)

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   MacQueens

Similar Products Used:   Norco Atomik, Diamondback f/s(old), Rocky Mountain Spice, Specialized FSR.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to Rock Shox Duke Race, Aero Spoke Carbon Fiber Rims, bash guard really helps!!easton handle bars!(carbon fiber)

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Holmdel, NJ, United States

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is strong.
The shifting and brakes are nice.

Weaknesses:    The shox that come with the bike aren't the best, but they can easily be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
The bike is well made and gets the job done. Great look and feel, excellent bike for the price, although i would go with the new 2003 model....its cheaper, has better components, and looks better. Has no problems handliing the trails and road travel is possible with the preloaded shox.

Purchased At:   Eiger Sports

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona kahuna Frame, Judy tt rock shox, shimano xt brakes, vanilla coil rear suspension, standard grips and handle bar, tiga tires, Sun Rhyno Lite wheels w/Deore LX hubs,Shimano XT shifters/levers,XT brakes,XT derailleurs,XT crank.

Submitted by Ronnie a Weekend Warrior from Watauga, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2003

Strengths:    Looks great,handles great,strong frame,plush ride,good standard components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Just the stock fork and riser bar; otherwise, a great FS bike.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full-suspension bike,and I got a deal on it that I couldn't pass up. Konas are not as well known in the U.S. as they are in Canada and Europe, but I highly recommend you check one out. The frame is super-strong and well made, and the bike handles great. I do recommend replacing the stock fork(Judy TT) however. It's okay for bike paths, but for off-road use, spend a little for a much better fork and you'll be glad you did. The Deore stock components are decent, but XT is so smooth, and it's the best component group for the money, I think. My next upgrade will be to a Fox Float R air shock, but the Vanilla coil-over performs well for now. This bike makes riding addictive. Thanks, Kona!

Favorite Trail:   Knob Hill Park

Purchased At:   Jolley's Alternative Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper FSR,Gary Fisher Sugar.

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona Kahuna frame,Fox Vanilla coil-over front shock,2001 Rock Shox Judy Race fork,Cane Creek S6 headset,Sun Rhyno Lite wheels w/Deore LX hubs,Shimano XT shifters/levers,XT brakes,XT derailleurs,XT crank,Serfas saddle,Azonic riser bar,ODI Rogue lockjaw grips.

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Can

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    The bike as a whole is flat out awesome. I upgraded a few things here and there to fit my liking.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any...

Bottom Line:
This is one smooth bike. The 4 bar suspension system works wonders. I have noticed no bobbing whatsoever. Everytime I ride, I am amazed! It is everything I want and need in a bike, especially at this price. I have done my share of jumps/drops and it has held up wonderfully. I can also ride for hours without tiring. I am thrilled with my new purchase. I most certainly recommend it, especially for the intermediate rider. Great job Kona!

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 3, Ironhorse Showdown

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black fork, Wellego clipless pedals

Submitted by Nataniel Lessnick a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    The components are great! You won't find a Fox Vanilla on many bikes at this price. Killer looks too!! Makes riding become an addiction

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy, OK for a full suspension. You might want to upgrade the fork and pedals. Perfect for me though.

Bottom Line:
I was recently thinking of buying the 03 Norco Charger but fell in love with the Kahuna. Great xc bike although I have'nt been riding much yet (I kept it in my room for the first week!) Kona rocks, get one and see for yourself.
To sum up: fun, sweet lookin, affordable bike :)

Favorite Trail:   the trails I've built

Purchased At:   Trailblazer Cycles

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Angie a Racer from Corona, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great looking bike, fairly light for a full suspension, under 30lbs. Handles real well.

Weaknesses:    Fox vanilla shock, I'm 5'7" and even on the loosest setting I could barely budge the rear shock.

Bottom Line:
I dig this bike!!! I went from a Specialized rockhopper, 10 yrs old and no suspension to this, and I am stoked. I climb better, ride better, and am less anxious on the technical stuff. Maybe pretty soon I can beat my hubbie on these rides, we'll see. I think this bike is great for anyone looking to upgrade to an f/s ride, it really rocks!!!

Bike Setup:   Stock, except switched out the rear shock for a Cane Creek air shock, way better. Now I can feel the cush of a full suspension bike, and this shock has rebound and stiffness adjustments.

Submitted by Ray Fewtrell a Weekend Warrior from Wirral, UK

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Light, easy setup fun to ride full susser, and cheap too. Looks good and rides well too.

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of the front forks (Judy TT), I didn't like the feel once the correct sag was set.

Bottom Line:
Been riding a Saracan dirt trax pro for 5 years on many xc route, decided a full susser was needed. Got a good deal at halfords, bike was on offer for 700 pounds instead of 1000 pounds. Upgraded forks and wheels 2 weeks ago, not been out on the trails yet. Much easier and more comfort on trails than the hardtail.
Overall looks good and great fun to ride, but I've upgraded a couple of bits to suit my choice of terrain and riding

Favorite Trail:   Moel Famau

Purchased At:   Halfords

Bike Setup:   Changed the front forks to Marzocchi MX Pro, upgraded the wheels to Mavic F219 rims on deore disk hubs with Deore Mech disks. Also added smart lights and gps

Submitted by Michael Ulrich a Weekend Warrior from Albert Lea, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    bang for the buck

Weaknesses:    front forks

Bottom Line:
I researched $1000 FS bikes for a month and was going to buy a Jamis, until I rode the Kona. I spent 2 hours riding 4 different bikes including Jamis, Rocky Mountain and Trek Fuel - and I just liked the feel of the Kona. I didn't even like the color - but it has grown on me. Great cross country. Good feel and good up hill with little bounce. I found the seat uncomfortable and added a Koobi. Kona rules!

Purchased At:   now-bikes St Paul, MN

Similar Products Used:   Kona Lava Dome

Bike Setup:   I added Koobi seat

Submitted by Luke a Downhiller from Mo-Town, NC

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    I like this one beacuse it handles great on the jumps, and the Fox Vanilla is awesome. I went from riding a hardtail Diamondback that tore up 24/7, to this, and I think it is outstanding.

Weaknesses:    As of now, no clipless pedals, but I'll fix that soon.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding bike, better get one fast. Lightning will give you a good deal, too.

Favorite Trail:   Red Rocket

Purchased At:   LIGHTNING CYCLES WHOOOO

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, England

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Price, paid £799 and its simply great.
Frame - rear suspension design works really well, nice and plush while keeping weight down.
groupset - Shimano deore groupset with truvativ crankset, looks the part and performs very nicely

Weaknesses:    Front forks have a little stiction, and I'll have to get some new springs or oil or something to sort them out as when I get on the bike the forks only go down about 1cm, which should be more.

Bottom Line:
This bike is superb, it can handle drops (not too big though), and it is also apt at xc hacks going along tracks, flat, up and downhill. Its gears are smooth and work well, the forks aren't brilliant, but they do the job well enough for now. The frame is the best thing though, I love the design and it works brilliantly

So, overall, this bike is brilliant, I think the world of it!

Favorite Trail:   "the dene"

Purchased At:   Halfords