Kona Bear 2002 Full Suspension

4.75/5 (68 Reviews)

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Gardner MA USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Strengths:    Nice plush ride, light enough for a FS, and really beefy

Weaknesses:    I don't have on in every color

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike. I didn't believe the stories about a FS giving you more confidence but it really does. I'd say buying a used FS frame like I did and transfering the parts onto it is the best way to discover the Joy of riding an FS. 5 chlli's just isn't high enough.

Favorite Trail:   Leominster State Forest

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   My first FS

Bike Setup:   RS Reba, Fox Float R, XT/LX gears, Avid Mechs, lots of Race face, and most importanly the Bear Frame

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from bellingham, wa

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Strengths:    Good climber and all around bike. Fast enough for XC built well enough for light freeriding

Weaknesses:    Only 4" of rear travel

Bottom Line:
For the $1900 I have invested in this bike its an absolute unbeatable value. Bought the frame used off this site and have Allen at dropnzone.com build it. This bike rocks! It allows me to still take drops that I would on my stinky as long as the drops are 6 foot or less and I wheely drop and land on the rear. the bike is quick, nimble and a crap load of fun to ride. The goemetry is a perfect balance of HC XC and light freeride. I plan on having this bike around for a long time. My advice to anyone thinking about buying a Bear or Dawg: By the frame used and build it up with your choice of components. You'll get te best bike for your buck and the best part is its a totally unique bike that no one else has!

Favorite Trail:   galbraithmt.com for this bike

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Custom, bought used frame

Similar Products Used:   96 kona sex one, 02 kona stinky primo

Bike Setup:   02 Bear frame, romic rear shock, 04 Z1 FR front, SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, FSA cranks bar and stem, Thompson post, Mavic 521 rims, Hayes carbon 9 brakes, Chris King headset.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    Solid bike! Incredibly versitle. You can take this bike anywhere. Up steep hills and down nasty hills this bike holds its own and maintain perfect control.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid. Upgraded from a hard tail and my bombs down hills have improved dramatically. You pick up so much speed and don't realize how fast you are going. I recently beefed up my front end with the Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off fork with Truvativ riser bar and stem. THis bike is really good bomb material, but it also climbs up the hills like a hard tail.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock hopper

Bike Setup:   All XT components with XT disc brakes. 2.3 inch Maxxis High rollers, 2004 Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off II's

Submitted by zsh a Cross Country Rider from louEVIL, KY

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    I bought a frame a built it up with collected parts. I really can't complain about anything. This is the perfect all mountain bike. Maybe the 5 inch upgrade would make it a little more comfy through the aggressive sections, but suits my needs fine as is.

Weaknesses:    Nothing. It's perfect for what it was designed to do. All mountain.

Bottom Line:
Kona'a are the bomb. Well made, perfect balance. I love the bear. Its great for what I do, ride epic xc, and throw in a stunt every now and then. I weigh 170 and have Dropped 5' to tranny/ 8 foot dirt gaps, no problem. Just yesterday rolled along with all the sub 25lb hardtailin' xcers up the hills, then followed the vp free/intensers down the knarly new downhill sec. What more can I say? If your looking for the jack of all trades. Get the bear, (or dawg, the new bear)

Favorite Trail:   Ft. duffield

Purchased At:   www.bikehell.com

Similar Products Used:   Jamis dakar, norco rage, numerous hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Marz exr, avid disc, lx deore D.T., Sun ds 2 rims, IRC trailbear tires, fox vanilla rl rear, titec cockpit.

Submitted by PJM a Cross Country Rider from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    See review 6/27/02 #1....This bike rides/climbs and
downhills with a confidence-inspiring feel...

Weaknesses:    I have 2K on this custom-built frameset. I break everything
I throw a leg over, ride strictly XC, and I NEVER even attempt to put more than 6" between the ground and my tires.
Top tube cracked right in front of the seat tube gusset
weld. JRA. 3/4 the way around the tube. Check this area
if you have a few yrs on your frame. After stripping the
frame for warranty replacement, I noticed another crack in
the small swingarm bridge eminating from one of the welding
pressure release weep holes. 3/4 around the tube. Now, all
that being said, I am 210lbs, and agressively ride 2-3K/yr.
of tech. singletrack, (I have two FS bikes built up cause I break everything and always need a backup) and can say
without a doubt that I am the real deal "JRA" rider.
Bike companies should hire me to ride their products
cause I have demolished (my words) under warranty
every frame and fork I have ever ridden,(except my 99/00
Mars1) and I have NEVER abused this frame.
My old GT LTS-1 lasted the longest of em all.(4yrs)
It suprises me the Bear only lasted 2K...really
suprises me. Kona is going to replace the frame for
me so kudos to Kona...I would bet they would like to
get rid of me since I am 3yrs. riding a lighter frameset
(King Kikapu-still riding it) that had a failed swingarm
tube(jra) and a shock mount bolt(jra) in the 1st yr riding it. Since most people are not 200lbs and ride 3K/yr, you
must take this review with a grain of salt...
LOVE THE RIDE OF THIS FRAME!!!

Bottom Line:
Great riding frame. It really does it all for
99% of the xc/trail riders out there.
Only a 210 lb. monster like me could break this
frame, and I did it in 2K miles riding xc, without
ever jumping or abusing it. I don't believe, again,
that most all good riders under 200lbs could break
it or claim a warranty like me....

Purchased At:   SLC

Similar Products Used:   everything...

Bike Setup:   Duxe SL air, custom wheelset, cantilever brake setup
by runnning a Stinky seatstay...27lbs...

Submitted by Neil Forrow a Weekend Warrior from Cheltenham

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    Bombproof. Makes you ride slick and fast.. an enjoyable bike to ride. Nice angles and stiff. A true all day ride.

Weaknesses:    Stock it is downspecked compaired to other bikes....

Bottom Line:
Great bike.. well worth the money. If you can find a secondhand one get it.. the frame will have stood the test of time.. The one thing all Kona Bear riders should do is get the rear shox "pro pedal" it makes such a difference to the way the bike pedals.. If you are in england, when you get the shox serviced.. get it done by mojo.. they give it pro-p for an extra 20£..

Favorite Trail:   Lech, anywhere in B.C. and any in Wales

Similar Products Used:   All sorts

Bike Setup:   Hope M4's Hope bulbs on sunn single tracks, Propedal the rear shox.. xt rear mech, xt block, flight saddle...

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, weight, frame, just fits me like a glove! Can climb well with it too. Dowbhill is a blast.

Weaknesses:    Cannot (or not recommended) put a dual crown fork on. Nothingh else really.

Bottom Line:
After reading all the great reviews for Kona squishies I decided to find a used one on eBay. It took a week but I found one with the BETD extra travel plates ... they are awesome!!! I was basically a xcountry rider but now I am riding things I never would have on my Fuel 90. I can jump off anything, fly down stairs and still ride xcountry so this bike is for me. I will eventually put on hydros but the mechs work well although they scare the hell outta of folks on the path when they squeel. I will get a Stab next year cause I like DHing but what can I say ... the Bear makes me want to ride all the time.

Favorite Trail:   camp Fortune

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90, C'Dale

Bike Setup:   A few upgrades: has BETD 6.5" rear travel upgrade and added a Marzocchi Z1 Wedge, m545's

Submitted by Robert a Downhiller from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Nice Geometry, Light bike even w/ upgrade components

Weaknesses:    Stock components not that great

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike most of the summer and fall and have slowly been upgrading parts on it. Now that I have all the weak parts off the bike I must say that it is a great all around bike. It's burly enough to do hucking, jumping, and downhilling, yet it is still light enough that you don't have to carry it up every hill you come across.

Favorite Trail:   Stanford

Purchased At:   a friend

Bike Setup:   Sun Single Track Rim w/ Hadley rear hub, Halo Combat w/ Diatech hub, Kujo DH 2.25 Tires, FSA Orbit XL II Headset, XT Casette, Specialized Enduro 2014 Handlebar, Specialized 03 Durango Grips, Romic Rear Shock, Easton Flatboys, RaceFace bash gaurd, WTB Speed-V, 2001 Marzocchi Z1 MCR QR20, 8" Front Rotor, Truvativ Husslefelts

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from Fresno,Ca

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    This bike has the burliest frame I've seen (Which is important when your 6'3' 250lbs like me)and comes set up with some very decent componentry for the price. Killer looks too!

Weaknesses:    I've heard bad things about the stock tioga tires but I upgraded at the shop before I took it home so they were never an issue. I also switched out the pedals to a sick set of flats. The brakes are a bit noisy but as I have read that goes away over time.

Bottom Line:
Basically this is one sweet bike, for only 1,100.00 I got a savage bike that can take most of anything, killer looks, great geometry, a decent component set up and the knowledge that this bike can handle anything it comes across. The bike just feels good when I ride it, which is an uncommon feeling, I usually feel like I am going to break most bikes. I hope to add a longer stem and a set-back seat post soon...and maybe a set of hyrdro's but we'll see how that goes. Basically if you're a large person looking for a bike that is as burly as you are....this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Goat Mountain

Purchased At:   Tri Sport

Similar Products Used:   First Full Suspension bike, also ride a rigid DiamondBack Ascent EX.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, like I said I upgraded the tires.

Submitted by Justice Banks a Downhiller from Adealaide, S.A, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Strengths:    Killer looks an price, so much bike for your buck. It's so versatile, one day cruising with your girlfriend, aggresive trail riding the next.

Weaknesses:    I would have to say the low bottom bracket. I find it easy to clip rocks with my pedals. Tires are no good. The cable Hayes worked at first but soon lost their feel. Nothing compares to the feel of hydo's.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for any standard of rider with varied riding styles. Looks great, rides great and is of the high quality that anyone who has riden Kona bikes in the past has come to expect.

Favorite Trail:   Kangarila

Purchased At:   Standish Cycles Unly

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stab

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock at this stage. Put on a bash guard and hydro brake set.

Submitted by Chris Mathews from Marin CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    Cross country. Has no other use. This is a specific task bike

Weaknesses:    I blew out the shock on like a 1 ft. drop. Not at all durable or built for agressive riding. Expensive for what you get.

Bottom Line:
I reccomend this bike only for the pure cross country enthusiast, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF FREE RIDE. I learned that the hard way. Get a stinky or something with more than 80mm of travel for freeride. I give it an overall rating of 2 chilis only because it might be okay for cross country. But is still totally not durable.

Favorite Trail:   FREE RIDE

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Mesa Comp

Submitted by jake a Downhiller from Santa rosa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    just about everything is sweet but this is an uprade bike though. I still have the seat post, bars and brakes.

Weaknesses:    i had to replace the tires and rims. I wore out the bb pretty fast and the stem is alittle to long. the headset wore out. but hey who cares about alittle upgrades.

Bottom Line:
Its a great all around trail bike stock but eventually you start building it up and it gets better and better. I know a guy who made a bear weigh 25 lbs and mine has heavy fr parts and only weighs 34 lbs. Im gonna race dh with it next season and its gonna be fine. Its worth every flamin' Chili

Favorite Trail:   southberma

Purchased At:   bike peddler

Bike Setup:   z1 fr,world force stem single track rims, fsa v drive cranks, mrp, same rear derailer, same bars, pig head set. I did a lot of upgrades but the bike is still sweet stock.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Strengths:    Solid frame, great ride, climbs great, and suspension works awesome.

Weaknesses:    The Tioga tires, because they never felt right. Some minor disk brake rub, but easily adjusted. Brakes are a little noisy, and I can live with it. The seat, just had to be changed

Bottom Line:
This bike is AWESOME!!!! I got on this bike for a test ride, and new right away it was the bike I was looking for. I can't believe I wasted my time getting into mountain biking riding a hardtail. I bought this as a 2002 left over and save 25% off list. I have taken it off a couple of 2 ft. drops, and it lands great. This bike has been great where ever I have ridden it, from riding with my kids to real technicaL trails. I switched to clip pedals last year, couldn't get unclipped, and had a nasty backwards endo resulting in wrist surgery. I have been switching back and forth between pedals. I clip in when I ride trails that I know, and go with flat pedals when on unfamiliar trails. I will submit another review in a few months.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Row - Carlisle, MA

Purchased At:   Nault's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC2, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Changed the tires to Michelin Wild Grippers, changed the seat, added bar ends, changed pedals, and the rest of the bike remains stock

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Clinton, MA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    This is my first full suspension and it's just amazing. The Race Face parts and Hayes brakes are great, 100m travel on the Marzocchi fork is plush.

Weaknesses:    LX rear d, Tioga tires, shimano m505 pedals
That's it, I really have no complaints..

Bottom Line:

I do a lot of XC riding on tight single track and this bike corners and handles great. But on those days at 'nam' when I feel the urge for some 3-4 footers, this bike handles is even better. The bike really shows it's strength when you got some speed going - fast, rocky, winding downhills are cake.

I used to fall behind on the technical sections, now I have friends that can't believe how fast I am. I already replaced the pedals, tires are the next to go.

This bike was renamed to the Kona Dawg for 2003 - I highly recommend one.

Favorite Trail:   'Nam' in Milford

Purchased At:   Marblehead Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR Comp and Enduro series.

Bike Setup:   02 Kona Bear
Race Face Cranks w/bash ring of course
Hayes mechanical
XT drivetrain
Marzocchi up front - Float R in back

This bike is basically stock - Kona did a nice job putting the parts together

Submitted by Craig from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    I love this bike. It seems to be very tough, I ride xc and also around downtown. It is great for both it can take pretty big drops with no problem. My friends Full suspension cant compare. And the bike looks bada@@.

Weaknesses:    So far nothing to complain about. Except the brakes seem to squeal alot. but nothing else.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks.
Somehow yesterday it was locked on my bike racks and came at 75 mph, bounced about 10' in the air and landed on the sholder of the road. So far the only problem is the front rim is bent and a few scratches. That is about it.

Purchased At:   Sun & ski