Klein Adept Race Disc 2002 Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Tyrone Daulton a Cross Country Rider from Slidell, LA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Strengths:    The bike rides as fast and good as it looks. The bike has a high quality paint job, cool through the frame routing of cables, sleek frame geometry, and disk brakes. Performance wise, the bike is light, highly responsive, fast, and smooth to ride (the full suspension takes the kick out of the stiff aluminum frame). Aluminum frames are stiff and transfer quite efficiently all the shock they experience to the rider.

This is my first full suspension bike and I was naturally curious to how much pogo action I would encounter with the rear suspension. So far, the bike rides like a hardtail drivetrain-wise but you definitely know you are not on a hardtail because of the smooth ride. Where I ride is pretty flat (Louisiana and Mississippi) so I really haven't tested the climbing ability or what level of pogo action I will encounter on climbs.

The Hayes hydraulic disk brakes are sweet, I wish I had them on my other bikes.

I have read some reviews on the Adept that the bottom bracket was too low to clear hazards. I have not encountered any problems.

Weaknesses:    I was surprised Klein put such a low quality trashy looking front shock, a Manitou Black Elite (read reviews of shock on this web site), on such a high end bike. The first thing I did was replace the Manitou shock with a Rock Shox Duke Race.

The tires and tubes are thin walled and take a beating with thorns etc. Furthermore, the tires are not knobby, and without knobs there is little protection from thorns. I immediately replaced the tubes with slime filled tubes otherwise I would have several flats on every ride. There is little clearance between the rear swing arm and the rear tire so some knobby tires may not fit on the bike.

It would be nice if Klein put higher quality components on the bike instead of their parent company’s brand Bontrager. I replaced the seat with a new Selle Italia prolink, however the Bontrager seat wasn’t that bad.

The metal Hayes hydraulic brake lines are rough to the touch and will abrade the paint off the bike frame where the cable rubs the frame. I wrapped cloth around the rear brake line near points where this brake line rubs with the frame. This seems to work, although I might replace the cloth with rubber or some material like a lizard skin.

I have problems with the seat post slipping even after I have tighten the skewer pretty tight (I don’t want to tighten the skewer any more because that might risk damaging the frame’s seat tube).

Bottom Line:
My next bike, a full suspension, was going to be a GT I-drive. However, with GT's parent company going bankrupt I was leery about purchasing an I-drive. After looking at other full suspension bikes, I easily decided to buy a Klein Adept Race Disc. I really like the Adept and I am glad I bought it. Even with the bike's weaknesses, I give it the highest rating.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail, South Mountain, Pheonix Az

Similar Products Used:   1992 GT Timberline, 1995 GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   Standard 2002 Klein Adept Race Disc with Rock Shox Duke Race and Selle Italia prolink saddle.

Submitted by Geoff C a Cross Country Rider from Aspen, CO

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff frame

Weaknesses:    In house Trek (Bontrager) parts, ugly '02 paint scheme

Bottom Line:
Mine is actually a 01 frame with 2002 parts. 01 was last year the frame was actually made in Washington, instead of Trek facilities in Wisconsin. Plus, 02 paint job is UGLY!

The bike handles like knife, point it and it goes. It's stiff, like Klein are known for. The bike does everything I want it to do, and more. Only gripe I have is with house brand Bontrager parts. I know it's one way to shave costs off the bike, but some parts are just don't belong on a bike this caliber. My Bontrager seat post failed after one ride, along with the saddle, they are heavy, but not too durable. BB was shot after 3 rides, the wheels went out of dish! in less than a month. Stem cracked also less than a month. It's not cheap replacing parts, granted some of it could've been replaced under warranty, but they were nothing great to start with. I tend to beat on my bikes, but my old Trek 8000, with in house Trek 'System' parts never failed in over 7 years of riding (the frame turned into a wet noodle before the components did) Trek needs to start making better house brand parts, what good is a bike when you have to spend more $$$ to swap out parts, when we're already paying premium for the 'Klein' name? Hope it doesn't turn into another Gary Fisher after the move to Wisconsin. Rest in peace 'real' Klein!

Purchased At:   Hub of Aspen

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Duke SL, Thomson post/stem, Monkey Lite handle bar, Specialized BG saddle

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from BG,KY USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Strengths:    Quality, fork, disc, paint(I know your not suppose to buy a bike for it's paint job, but it is awsome).

Weaknesses:    Rear derailler hanger is useless, it's too strong, I've already broke off one derailler. On my GT, the hanger would break, always carried a spare, a 5 minute fix on the trail not a 5 mile hike.

Bottom Line:
A really great bike, everything I was looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Sal Hollow (Mammoth Cave)

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Earth Transverse Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Trek 100, Cannondale Jekyll, Specialized FSR XC Pro

Bike Setup:   Changed tires, grips and pedals for my type riding.

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from York, Pa

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Stiffness, quality, paint, but especially the ride

Weaknesses:    weight, low bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
The abilities of the bike is greater than the abilities of this particular rider. I weigh 215lbs and the bike does not seem to flex. I traded up from a six year old crapped out crom-moly Rockhopper with a Jett fork so this bike is quite a step up. I like the feel of hardtails and the lack of bob when I demoed a Sugar sold me. I can't really add much to all the previous reviews. On single-track the ride is spirtual, and afterwards I experience no back pain after riding rocky/rooty East coast trails. I like Klein's attention to detail, and it is reflected in the price. Klein is also large enough to have consistent manufacturing and responsive customer service. This bike cost me alot of change, and there are better values in my opinion, especially if you are a light weight non-racer, but I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

Purchased At:   Holmes Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Sugar, Jeckyll, Razorback, looked at a Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80, Thomson stem and post, Monkeylite bar, Raceface Turbine crank, Time ATAC pedals, Mavic Crossrocs, Hutchinson Pythons, Selle Flite saddle

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Huntsville, AL

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2001

Strengths:    The Klein reputation, quality frame, Hayes brakes

Weaknesses:    Haven't had it long enought to find any. Maybe the weight.

Bottom Line:
I have only had a few rides on this bike, and I have been nothing but amazed by it. I moved to this bike from a Klein Rascal hardtail. So the change is rather significant. I have tried a few other suspension designs, but this one feels totally solid.

One of the most amazing traits of this bike is the fact that it is so quiet. The bike totally disappears beneath you. You don’t hear a single thing coming from the bike, except for the occasional chain slap.

As an ex-hardtailer, I am definitely converted to full motion after riding this bike.

Durability is always an issue, but with Klein’s quality history, it should not be a problem. Only time will tell.

The only issues that I have with the bike is that I seem to be banging my pedals against stuff much more often. Now this is not a big deal, but should be noted. The bottom bracket height is not much different than my Rascal. I also am not a fan of Manitou forks. Ever since I broke one at the brake arch, I have never ridden another one. So I am in the market for a good deal on a new Bomber fork.

But other than theses two minor probs, it is a great ride. It should definitely be considered by all that are looking for a nice cross-country ride. It is not by any means race light, but the ride is excellent.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc.