KHS FXT Rage 2002 Full Suspension

4.37/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Hesperia,CA,Usa

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    Good solid frame,You can go anywhere with this bike,it is an all mountain bike.Looks cool with the flames,most fun per dollar.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is outdated, can't lockout fork. And thats about it.

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the money if you can still find it in stores. This bike is rock solid.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Just this bike.

Submitted by ryan inghram a Cross Country Rider from 3900 lot 4 dairyland road

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    solid bike----upgrade it!

Weaknesses:    just upgrade the derailluers and crank/bb and you are set

Bottom Line:
this is an update. I stand corrected on my first review----the "3-4 foot drops" were actually only 1 to 1.5 ft. drops when measured. So I do not know how it handles bigger drops nor would I do any or recommend 3 or 4 ft. drops on this bike. Anyways, I cracked the chainstay all the way through today and am waiting to hear from KHS to have that replaced. I was just cross country riding when it happened ( as cross-country riding is all I do). It shouldn't be a big problem for them to replace the rear chainstay with my warranty but I'll keep an update. I know they have great customer service. However, I have to lower the rating slightly since the chainstay broke and I had to walk a few miles on a beautiful day. Oh well, still a great bike.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Giant VT

Bike Setup:   XT derailluers, Avid mech disc brakes, LX Hollowtech/BB cranks, Bontrager RE-I pedals, Titec X-wing pro seatpost

Submitted by Josey a Cross Country Rider from Amherst, MA and Essex Junction, VT

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    disc-ready hubs, nice wheelset, bomb brake levers, great saddle and handle bars, buttery fork, sexy ass frame

Weaknesses:    crap rear shock, low end shifters, derailleurs, and brakes, but its to be expected for the price

Bottom Line:
So I got the bike at Christmas from Chuck's Bikes in Morrisivlle, VT (great shop owned by a great guy- stop in if you're in the area), I took a big ol' spill on pavement in March- bent the cranks and scraped up the frame and one of the stanchions. The frame took the abuse, but the fork leaks air now that it's got the scrape. Replaced the seals, but it still leaks after a hard ride. Anyway, I was riding the bike the other day (late August) and part of the seat tube and seat clamp snapped off!!! I am in the process of sending my bike back to KHS- since I've only had the bike for 8 months, it should be under warranty. Lesson to take away from this story: Keep your seat post down past the limit screw that is in the seat tube, so that the post is at least just poking out the bottom- be sure to not put it too far down though, since big drops bring the bottom of the seat tube close to the rear shock. Anyway, besides this ridiculous incident, the bike has been a dear dear friend, and I hope that KHS will come through and give me another one, since bikes should be able to handle being ridden.
Buy this bike if you're a beginner/intermediate rider on a budget looking for a solid full suspension bike- Upgrade to disc brakes- you already have the hubs!!!
Don't buy this bike if you're looking for bob-less riding, or nice componentry... or if you have a million dollars- get the Tomac Eli, she's like a sweet, sweet stallion that loves to be ridden into the sunset.

Favorite Trail:   bachelor st trails in amherst

Purchased At:   Chuck's Bikes in Morrisville, VT

Bike Setup:   replaced rear der, shifters, brakes, stem, and pedals- current setup: SRAM X-9 rear derailleur and shifters (radical), Kore stem, Marzocchi EXR Fork (stock), Powertools clipless platform pedals, Alivio front der (stock- the front der is such a simple piece of componentry that I will never spend more than $20 on one, Alivio works just fine!), WTB Rocket V Saddle (stock), Avid Single Digit 5 Brake Levers (stock- awesome and super adjustable), Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes

Submitted by ryan inghram a Cross Country Rider from hillsborough,nc

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    Kore, Panaracer tires, Rock Shox Deluxe and very strong frame

Weaknesses:    EXR fork is ok---has some play (bad bushings?) Derailleurs are sub-par ( I immediately upgraded to XT)

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike----KHS is an underrated company and they're very nice folks too. Upgrade the derailleurs, add disc brakes and clipless pedals and you have a hell of a all-mountain (trailbike) bike.

Favorite Trail:   New Light

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Jamis

Bike Setup:   XT derailleurs, Ritchey clipless pedals, Avid mechanical disc brakes

Submitted by manric a Weekend Warrior from Marinduque, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Strengths:    Proven design, good components for the price(bomber fork),bad boy looks-appeals to the eye like a Harley would.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, no disc brakes

Bottom Line:
This is a great value bike still available on some online sites and selling for under $700. Although it's a bit heavy, I'm able to clean some steep climbs that are not rocky. Going downhill is fun, the more technical the better with some drop-offs and rough stuff. Due to the long travel fork, climbing stance needs adjustment and takes sometime getting used to. Get this bike, it's fun-more fun than my old aluminum hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   torrijos

Purchased At:   bicycleblowout.com

Similar Products Used:   Dakar comp

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by brett a Cross Country Rider from burlington, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Strengths:    its a great bike, some poeple complain about cheap components the only difference is a few grams here and there they all work the same, handles good some say the rear shock should be upgraded to air rather than stock coil over spring design i like the spring its easy to adjust the stiffness as well as the rebound with just your hands, bike feals just like a cross county bike but you have 4 inches of suspnsion when u need it

Weaknesses:    about 3 pounds heavier than what im used to

Bottom Line:
bike is awsome just entered my first race with it placed 3rd so i cant complian great bike , for 700 i know i couldnt find anything better plus the flat black paint looks sick
cant give it 5 chilies all around cause its not the best out there of course, but for less than 1000 and for 90 percent of riders i say it takes all the marbles

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher big sir

Bike Setup:   stock added alivio disk to front

Submitted by alex miya a Cross Country Rider from bayside, CA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Weaknesses:    Very mediocre componentry, Deore r.der, alivio f.der, but what do you expect for a full-suspension bike under $1000

Bottom Line:
Very decent bike for the price, will upgrade as I destroy them. Very happy with bike but upset at pricepoint as they miss advertized the componentry, will try and fight this. The salesperson told me that it had deore f.der and LX r.der, and an air R.S, guess that would have been too good to be true, if anyone out there has had the same problems with Pricepoint please post something to the effect. Back to the bike, I guess it's better that the components aren't that great cause now i give me an excuse to ride hard and upgrade, hope the bank account holds up.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   None- GT Performer

Bike Setup:   Stock-

Submitted by T-bone a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    Price! Strength. The ride is amazing. This is a well built bike.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
When you throw discs on this bike it becomes perfect.

Rode 40 miles with 3000ft ascend/descend and this bike rocks. I was a combo of Single track and fire raods.

Sure, some of the components could be upgraded. That will be done as they break..

If you get a chance, buy this bike.

Bike = $669
Brakes = $138
Shipping = $45

Total = $852
Now go shop some frames and see if you can beat that.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Ashland

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Enduro, Jekell

Bike Setup:   Stock + Avid Mech Disc brakes

Submitted by freerider a Cross Country Rider from mammoth mtn. c.a.

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    4.5" of rear wheel travel, jumps/lands great, awsome fsr design, pedals well, descends flawlessly, strong frame, decent head angle, epic bike.

Weaknesses:    strange bushing pivot design(no bearings), welded stem, bars, cranks, and fork. don't get me wrong all these things work great for xc use.

Bottom Line:
this is a trailbike, I ride it like a freeride bike. so far I've bent the b.b., cranks, stem, and bars. I've also bent the bolt that connects the shock to the pivot link.(I bought a super hardend bolt and it's all good) I blew out the left fork leg after one month. I no longer put air in that side(less oil leaks out) and double the other sides psi. The fork still works pretty good. I used to ride the mtn. everyday. (BIG hits, perfect trails). I moved, and ride mostly urban now, some trails. Bottom Line: this bike rocks(for the price), the frame seems to be holding up. after upgrading to disk brakes and a 5" fork. I'll be set.

Favorite Trail:   007

Purchased At:   mammoth sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   k2 bumpy monkey,

Bike Setup:   replaced/upgraded to: race face prodigy dh cranks w/bash, truvativ dh b.b., x stem(alloy), protaper bars,

Submitted by Sasanka k a Cross Country Rider from Australia..livin in Ft.Collins CO

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    -Really light bike.
-comes wiht good components.
-The price i got it for.
-comes set for disc upgrade.
-The mat black finish makes it look kick ass.
-has two pivot points.

Weaknesses:    -my rides take too long cos people ask me about the bike.
-got in trouble with girlfriend for spending too much time on it.
-makes me wnat to ride it allll teh time, never get any school work done.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike. i have't had any reall problems with at all. the frame feels stiff. done a couple of small drops and felt fine. i replaced teh rare shock at the shop for no extra cost becasu i wanted a stiffer spring on it. makes riding a pleasure. It has enogh travel at the fron so going downhill is a whole lot of fun too. I have a 17inch bike, its a lot easier to manover around trails. only 30 pounds all up. Go buyit.. wp ski shop has a couple more left.

Favorite Trail:   zoom wp

Purchased At:   Winter Park ski shop

Similar Products Used:   not sure

Bike Setup:   standard..high sadle

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    Great performacne for the price. Classic four-bar linkage works great. No flex frame. Grat ride.

Weaknesses:    None So Far

Bottom Line:
Purchased as frame only. Adrenaline Bikes in Orange, Ca. put it together (thanks Chris.) The bike is great. Handles excellent. W/ my old parts off my hardtail Schwinn, its actually lighter than the 01 FXT Comp that I bought my wife last year. The frame is stiff w/ no detectable flex in the rear. Little bobbing detected on climbs in the mid chainring but not so noticeable in the small one. The stock RS Deluxe rear shock works well. The damping knob is sensative. Compared to my buddy's $1800 Specialized, this frame is a better buy. The geometries are similar, small difference in the rear pivot point above the dropout, but handles exactly the same. KHS has a sleeper w/ this frame. Wish I could give it a 6+!

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Bike Setup:   Lg frame, 02 Psylo SL, Mavic F519 w/ 2.3 Roller Pro frt. tire and 2.25 WTB rear, RS Delux shock in ther rear (oem)

Submitted by tommy dreamer a Weekend Warrior from peoria,il.

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    4 bar,marzocchi fork,componets,disc ready,bad ass looks.

Weaknesses:    none for this price.

Bottom Line:
this bike is so bad,the 5 in. fork made a huge difference over the 4 in.air fork that came on it.it is a small frame that with upgrades weighs 32.5 lbs.compared to my old 36 lb. stinky,it feels just as plush,i do even larger drops now and the way the bike climbs the stinky cannot even compare,plus this bike looks bad ass.khs you have a sleeper of a bike for 1000 dollars and with a few upgrades this may be one of the best trail,freeride bikes OF ALL regardless of price.i am truley amazed,heres to you khs.

Purchased At:   dentons cycle

Similar Products Used:   kona stinky

Bike Setup:   xt rear derr.,5 in. dirt jumper fork,pig headset,rhyno lite wheels with xt hubs.

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Sarasota, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    The bike handles wonderful, this is the first full suspension bike I have owned and I love it.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I have noticed is that the bike isn't switching gears as well as I thought it should. I have had it adjusted but it still isn't switching as fast as I would like.. Maybe I need to upgrade somewhere. (Maybe some experts out there may be able to push me in the right direction)

Bottom Line:
This was my first real mountain bike.. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to go try it on any trails... I mostly ride on the road, dirt and sand here around the Beach... The Bike has a smooth comfortable ride to it. I would recommend this bike to anybody starting off.

Purchased At:   Ringling Bicycles of Bradenton

Bike Setup:   Default Bike Setup

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Aurora, CO US of A

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    I did a lot of research prior to buying this bike. In the end, the choice was between the Jamis Dakar Sport and the Rage. I picked the Rage for a couple of reasons, namely, better specs (disc brake ready hubs), color, frame style, but most importantly, I just liked it better than the Jamis. I haven't really torture tested it yet, but it's handled two foot drops with out breaking a sweat. The frame is STRONG, no bob on climbs, and the flat black paint looks wicked!

Weaknesses:    The Kore stem would loosen up after about a half mile or so. Some locktite, and a torque wrench fixed it. I have since bought a Kore Elite stem to replace the stock stem. Hardly a dealbreaker.

Bottom Line:
I have just started riding again after about ten years off. So I don't have the legs or lungs yet to really give this bike a workout. I don't think I'll be disappointed when my old body gets up to speed. Great bike for the money. The Rage is a sleeper. Buy this bike...you can't go wrong for the money. Max flamin' chilis all around!

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycling - Aurora, CO

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper (12 yrs old, no suspension - killer old bike), Giant NRS3, Jamis Dakar Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock, but have added a Specialized computer to monitor my training, and will add the new Kore stem this weekend. Nothing else needs modified yet.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from NEW YORK CITY

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    Great for the money all the parts are good dont need to upgrade right away light weiht all around. Handles very well and goes with the flow. NO COMPLAINTS!

Weaknesses:    honestly, none yet. Been wanting to upgrade certain parts but why if they still intacted. Should of came with disc brakes. but ofcourse i put them on.

Bottom Line:
I recommend this bike to anyone who is on a budget or wants to start getting into the sport. I started with this bike and I believe it made the mountain trails seem easy.....now I'm ready for higher and stronger mountains ,yes with my KHS bike... the black goes with any accessories and the design I seem to really dig .....SO GO FOR IT.

Favorite Trail:   skyline

Purchased At:   Jake's

2003 khs fxt rage

i bought a used 2003 fxt rage a little while ago and want to upgrade some compnents and suspension set ups but dont know too much about the bike (headset size, steer tube, etc.) where can i get some information on what upgrades would work and what wont work? thanksRead More »

KHS fxt rage vs GT xcr-3000

so which one do you think is a better full suspension bike? 2002 KHS FXT Rage: [url]http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=36844&Type=bike[/url] 1999 GT XCR-3000 with I-Drive: [url]http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=88525&Type=bike[/url] (click the 2000 for ... Read More »