Jamis Dakar 2002 Full Suspension

4.19/5 (88 Reviews)

Submitted by Escher a Weekend Warrior from nelson, new zealand

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    frame seems strong enough, has survived some beginer downhill tracks.
has fox rear suspension.
is light enough.

Weaknesses:    manitou axel comp forks feel a bit hollow and flimsy feeling.
rear derailuear mount is terrible, it snapped off after the first major ride.
paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
i think this bike would suit a beginer

Favorite Trail:   the tusk and pipillni

Purchased At:   village cycles

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock.

Bike Setup:   has new specialized hard track tires and stem, apart from that is fully stock.

Submitted by bob_fairlane a Weekend Warrior from Dallas TX USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2008

Strengths:    simple and effective high traction design, looks good, Fox Air shock is durable. Bushings are strong.

Weaknesses:    Not a "free ride" or "downhill" bike. Air shock requires air-pump. If you keep it clean, you only have to air/adjust between rides to suit temperature and conditions. Use loctite on the bushings! Short travel design.

Bottom Line:
If you want a faster hardtail, there isn't one. If you want a cushy suspension bike, there are lots and this isn't it! brutal.conversions yahoo

Favorite Trail:   Dinosaur Valley SP

Purchased At:   frame only nashbar.c

Similar Products Used:   carbon fiber conventional triangle frame, GT suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   Old Marzochi coil&oil 80mm, Shimano/Gripshift mix, austrailian deep dish wheels, cane creek "direct curve" brakes and levers.

Submitted by Chris Businsky a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2006

Strengths:    $200 for the frame new in 03

Bottom Line:
Anything looking for a solid bike for a great price. I bought my bike in pieces. Everything was so over priced. After doing some research and talking to different people and reading about them in various magazines I came across Jamis. I probably would have bought a full bike, but I couldn't get the parts I wanted in the price range I wanted. I just bought everything in pieces and took it to my LBS to assemble it. I love it. I will most likely be a Jamis customer forever.

Favorite Trail:   Susquehanna State Park

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Bike Setup:   custom: duke xc front shock, avid single digit 7, deore shifters, deore crank, xt front/rear derailer, deor BB, sun rino light rims, aligator tires, crank bros candy pedals

Submitted by Phil Slot a Cross Country Rider from Malibu, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2006

Strengths:    Goes very well over small to medium sized rocks, bumps, and ledges. This bike has ample travel for a light weight cross country rider. It climbs very well, and the lockouts (front and back) work great for the long climbs. I am pleasantly suprised with the Manitou Mars Super 2002. I thought I would want to replace it, but I like it much better than the Rock Shox Duke, and it takes a beating better than the SIDs I have ridden before. For a light weight small travel fork the Manitou is very nice. Also at around 25 pounds the bike is quite light for full suspension.

Weaknesses:    I hated the WTB laser seat that came from the factory. Also I prefer Riser bars. I have had no difficulties with this bike yet.

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this bike. I was convinced that hardtail was the way to go and I have always ridden sub 21 lb hardtails. My last bike was a Schwinn Homegrown Factory 2002, well I like the Jamis so much I decided to sell the homegrown. I have had no maintenance issues with it. When you consider the price of a Jamis versus some of the other brands, this is a great bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike that I have owned. I have however, ridden several other full suspension bikes. I prefer this bike over: Fisher Sugar, Litespeed Unicoi. It is also much nicer than an old GT LTS I used to ride.

Bike Setup:   All stock except: Time Atac pedals, New Kenda Blue edge tires, Monkey Lite riser bars, and a new seat.

Submitted by Ray Evans a Weekend Warrior from Flat Rock N.C. USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2005

Strengths:    components,price

Weaknesses:    spring rate in fork,bushings on frame,dated frame design

Bottom Line:
grat bike for the money i am 212 lbs so it takes alot of abuse and holds up good

Favorite Trail:   Dupont,Bent Creek,Uwarrie

Purchased At:   Bike Ways

Similar Products Used:   giant,gary fisher,trek

Bike Setup:   was stock then i changed sping in fork rims ryno lites seat wtb tires wtb then panaracer fire xc pro[great tire]pedals crank bros egg beaters rear derailer LX XT broke [crashed]

Submitted by Troy a Cross Country Rider from Roy, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Strengths:    Strong Frame,Excellent Bump Absorbing Abilities, Quality Rear Shock.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, CHEAP paint flakes off easily

Bottom Line:
Well for $1500 I probably could have got a little better bike, already built, but hey, it's cool not seeing the same bike I'm riding all over the mountain. Plus I had fun putting this one together. It performs just about flawlessly, other than the shock and fork not having any fine tuning controls, but that's okay. But in the long run, it's well worth the money. I'd recommend it time and time again.

Favorite Trail:   Wheeler Creek/Maples Green Pond

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Trek 6500, Trek 820, Trek 9.8

Bike Setup:   Completely Custom(that's why it's a $1500 price tag): RS Judy SL U-turn, Avid 6" mech's, XT derailleurs,XTR chain, Titec Hellbent bars, Icon stem and crankset, Ritchey seatpost, Sun Ringle DS2-XC rims, Deore hubs, Bontrager FS2000 saddle & RE-1 pedals, Cane Creek S2 headset, XT bottom bracket, and currently Hutchinson Mosquito Airlight tires, and LX shifter/brakeset levers.

Submitted by steve a Racer from high falls new york U.S.A

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    the bike is very light good for a cross country racer. The frame is stiff to and dose not flex when taking heavy hits, of going through a tight turn radius.

Weaknesses:    The main weekness is how much the fork an shock bob. the fox vanila rx comes withe a lockout installed whitch is good for up hill climbing. the manitu black super air needs to be replaced. I have allready blew out 2 o-rings and a compresion disc. I recomend that you get eather a Manitu minute 2:00 or a fox talas both are good forcks and they both come with a stable platform valve. the manitu can be conged from 100-130 milimeters of travel. the fox talas is feachured in 80 and 100 milimeters of travel both will coast you around 550$

Bottom Line:
this is a very good bike just do the modifications i told you about and you should be fine. this bike should only be used for experenced riders or people who know what they are doing with a high proformenced bike.

Favorite Trail:   dead glen

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   acord bike shop

Similar Products Used:   cove foreplayxc

Submitted by Austin a Racer from stanley,ny,usa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    It is a great entry into duallies I love every part of this bike except the fork.

Weaknesses:    FORK FORK FORK FORK FORK

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for a person who wants to have fun with the sport. It is a great frame to build on and the price is incredible. If you are on a budget, then this bike is for you my friend.

Favorite Trail:   Tryon

Purchased At:   Ebay!!!

Similar Products Used:   2002 haro v3 (crrraap)

Bike Setup:   Stock components, Downhill tires, Sid sl fork, fox vanilla rear shock

Submitted by Max Hoagland from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    This is the best bike ever. With Manitou Blacks up front, it is perfectly balanced. The suspension feels much bigger than it is. Absorbs the smallests bumbs.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm a true cross-country rider at heart, but because I ride with my brother mostly, I have to have something tough enough to handle the stuff he takes me on (or I take him on). So I built this bike up as an all-mountain monster.

Although it's not specifically setup as a cross-country ride, it still runs like a mountain lion through the trails.

My brother takes me up to the University near our house and we jump of whatever we can find, and I've dropped about 4 to 6 feet and it still holds up!

This thing can take anything you want to dish out the way I set it up, and it's my favortie bike that I've ridden. If you only can have one bike, this is definitely it.

Favorite Trail:   Ski Resorts

Purchased At:   Wild Rose

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, GT i-Drive, Specialized FSR, Cannondale Jekly

Bike Setup:   Blacks in front, LX/XT drivetrain, Hellbent handlebars, oury grips, shimano clipless/ platform things. Set mostly for all mountain.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Portland Maine usa

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2004

Strengths:    Components are great stock. Hayes full hydraulic Disk Brakes, FS, clipless, Pro-taper bars, Thompson post,..Stock. yeah.
Rear suspension has useful adjustemnts that can dial the ride just the way you like it.

Most full suspension rides at this price point will come with full hyd. disks, you usually get the cheesy cable actuated disks with no-name components for stem, bars and headset.

Weaknesses:    Fork Spring rate too soft stock. Why put medium rate springs on a bike with a 22in frame? I switched to the extra-stiff aftermarket springs and have not touched the fork since.
Be careful with disk brakes, any sort of oil contamination can ruin their performance requiring new pads.

I have managed to trash the clipless pedals that came stock. I have broken one side of each pedal so that the front part of the pedal where you clip in is gone. Suks because you effectively have one-sided pedals, good because you can at least clip in and keep riding.

Bottom Line:
This is a great performing CC and trail riding full suspension bike. Its a little too mello for racing (Depends on how serious you are) and now quite enough for true Free Riding but the brakes are excellent, the rear suspension is air so you can make it as soft or as firm as you need. ONce the rear is dialed its wicked supple and doesn't bottom out. the damping adjustments on the rear shock work well. The Manitou Black fork works well once the spring rate is dialed for you weight. Compared to my old Judy and Marzocci Bomber its far more compliant and has needed zero bs. I do think that the Marzocci was more rigid and it was an air fork so you expect that it wouldn't be as good on little hits. This bike has lots of nice details that combine to make it a pleasure to ride. For instance the bars are Answer Pro-taper bars that have held up well, and have a nice bend to them. The headset is by Cane Creek and has shown zero problems. The component spec is also very effective and has given me no problems except for the rear free-hub body which recently broke a pawl causing the cassette to drag when free-wheeling. But that can be attributed to normal wear and tear (plus its by shimano and is no fault of Jamis) because I'm a big guy (6ft 5in 220+lbs) and when i stand on the cranks i can really torque the drive train. I had doubts about the 9spd setup but it has worked as well as my old 8spd setup in terms of durability and it shifts far better than my old 8spd gripshift/shimano franken-drivetrain BS that I used to run.

Purchased At:   Rose Bicycles in Orono Maine

Similar Products Used:   Older Jamis dakar.
specialized enduro.

Bike Setup:   Switched to Ritchey z-max 2.35 tires. These tires are great for trail riding. Combine the larger tires with full suspension and you have one smooth riding machine. the one downside to these tires is that they will roll on the rims when side loaded.
Swapped grips for ODI Longnecks (bmx grips), changed saddle to Bontrager berzerker DH because its longer and fits better.
Recently got a Michelin rear tire, so far so good.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    I upgraded the shifters and the rear derailleur and the bike shifts infinitely better than my Rocky Oxygen Race ever did. I've abused this bike and never had to fix a thing on it yet. Price was right. Disc brakes with Panaracer Fire XC Pro's stops in a hurry.

Weaknesses:    suspension, weight, rims

Bottom Line:
This bike is great when the suspension is set up stiff and you find a long downhill (Skogan) that you can do 36 mph+ on. The bike just floats along. The harder I ride the more I bottom out the shocks though, most of this is probably due to rider error though. I've raced this bike and it's on the heavy side for racing especially going up Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill. Bike is a gas on Sulphur Springs, especially at high speed.

I've raced on the stock Hutchinson Python's and like them except they don't corner well at speed. The Panaracers Fire XC Pro's are too heavy, they feel like you have a flat rear tire on long climbs, even at 45 psi. I've also used Geac's on the bike and they are fast and light but unless it's concrete they don't offer much grip.

I'd love to replace the front shock with a Rock Shox World Cup Sid shock to shave 2 lbs off but I think I'll save my money for a new Jamis Dakar XC Pro or the Specialized Epic.

Overall, this is a bike for semi-aggresive trail riders not for racers.

Favorite Trail:   jumpingpound/cox

Purchased At:   singletrack cycle

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel 90, khs fxt, rocky element, kona, specialized

Bike Setup:   stock except xtr rear derailleur, xt shifters, maxxis larsen tt rubber

Submitted by Brent McAlister a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs great! Floats in the flats over small rocks, roots, undulations, etc. Goes downhill reasonably well considering its weight/setup. It has intangibles...it just feels fast and inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    In tight turns, especially at slow speeds, the handling can feel a bit dicey. The rear lockout doesn't really seem to completely lock out - pedalling while locked out caused the bike to kind of bounce.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It just feels fast and responsive. It floats over typical XC terrain and climbs extremely well. I have had zero mechanical problems so far (@250 miles). The only negative I have experienced is the handling in tight turns especially at low speeds. You just have to really make sure your weight is more to the rear rather than sort of leaning into the front tire and carving tight turns like I can do in my Cannondale hardtail.

More thoughts...

This is my first full suspension bike. I have never done much real downhill riding (I live in Texas!). I get the most enjoyment out of carving fast flat singletrack and powering up climbs...so I was a little hesistant to purchase a full suspension. @ 250 miles later, I have no regrets. This bike is more fun to ride than anything I've ever been on (except maybe a Ventana downhiller, but that thing was a tank on the flats & in climbs). With my Jamis Dakar XC I'm consistently climbing sections that I used to clean maybe 20% of the time on my hardtails. So, I haven't noticed significant power loss on climbs b/c of the full suspension. I can definitely feel that the power transfer is not as effecient as with my hardtail, however the extra traction and control that the full suspension provides makes it a much better climber overall. And then blasting through the flats and floating on the downs is pure heaven.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   1988 Bridgestone MB-3; 1995 Cannondale F-1000; 1998 Cannondale F-2000; Yeti ASR

Bike Setup:   come back to later...

Submitted by JC a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, MA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Strengths:    Great front and rear suspension, haven't had any problems. The bike is really strong and I haven't noticed any flex. Altough I'm only a teenager so I don't exactly weigh the bike down. The weight, 32 lbs isn't bad and doesn't feel really heavy.

Weaknesses:    The trails I ride are really, really wet, muddy, and sandy so I'm not surprised the brake pads and tires wore out really fast.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a begginer with such a low price and awesome components. The fox vanilla rear shock provides plenty of suspension. If you're thinking about getting into the sport this is a great bike that can go from the road to the woods with no problems.

Purchased At:   private

Bike Setup:   Stock except new chain, brake pads, and rock gaurd.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland,OH

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty decent derailleurs, bar and stem, and the fox vanilla. The rear suspension geometry works well. Fork is Ok and overall ride and control good for the money.

Weaknesses:    Chainstays crack which I think is direct result of light duty spring on rear suspension leading to bottoming out and heavy stresses. Mine was cracked at purchase as it was used. Also, formula wheelset is marginal and saddle uncomfortable. STOCK TIRES TERRIBLE, IF YOU BUY ONE OF THESE NEW WHICH YOU STILL CAN, TRADE THESE DUDS IN AT PURCHASE FOR CREDIT ON ANYTHING APPROPRIATE FOR WHERE YOU RIDE!

Bottom Line:
Fun, modestly priced trail bicycle, but you must respring it for your weight as appropriate. This is often the case with other manufacturers also so don't be too down on Jamis. If you need one, Jamis has chainstays still available as of 12/03, and they seem to be beefier than the original was and come in black only. I expect no problems with heavier spring and updated swingarm now installed on this bike. 3 chilis for value for hassles with tires and setup, 3 for overall performance of modest fork and components. Once again, these stock tires are awful. Compound has no grip and make bike very squirrely and undermine otherwise decent performance for the dough.

Favorite Trail:   vulture's knob

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Older single pivot, y-frame bike which was by far inferior in ride quality, control, etc..

Bike Setup:   LX 9 spd driveline, shimano wheelset, upgraded rear spring and chainstay, aftermarket stem, post, saddle etc.

Submitted by barry dean a Cross Country Rider from b'ham, al

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    The bike does a nice Job soaking up bumps

Weaknesses:    Jamis Customer Service. Actually they don't have any
so how do you call it customer service. I have replaced the worthless bushings on this thing every 6 months before finally mothballing it. At 100.00 a pop its a joke and try talking to someone at Jamis who cares!!! I had talked to everyone including regional sales reps. Seems they just want to make money off of you. selling bushings like they are disposable razorblades.

Bottom Line:
Run from this bike as fast as you can!
Otherwise you are wasting your money.
Buy only cartridge bearing bikes, despite what MBA
said in their review."Modern Bushings hold up very well"
yeah right!
Given my experience with Jamis even if they sell a cartridge bearing bike you might still want to stay away
given their lack of service

Favorite Trail:   any

Jamis Dakar XCR 29er: anybody riding one ?

Posted this same question a few days ago in the 29er section, but no replies. Does anyone has some feedback on these models ? Are they suited for east coast singletracks ? ThxRead More »

Jamis Dakar XCR 29er: anybody riding one ?

Hi, I would like to know what positive / negative experience riders with a Jamis Dakar XCR29er have. Anybody riding east coast technical singletrack with one of these. Didn't find a lot of reviews. ThxRead More »

New Guy - Need a FS bike 13 GT Carbon 100 9r Elite or 12 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro

Hey folks! I've been trolling the forum a bit and have found it very helpful. Thanks for all good info that's been provided already! I ride mostly all mountain single track. Intermediate trails to be more specific. I've been looking at these two inexpensive carbon FS bikes. Does anyone have a ... Read More »

Dakar XC 2006 Bearings

Has anyone ever replaced all of the suspension bearings on a 2006 Dakar XC? I have never replaced them and the bike has been ridden every year since I bought it new in 06. How hard are they to get out? Can you get the bearings at a bearing shop? Thanks for the help.Read More »

2014 Dakar XCT Comp rear shock size

Anyone know what size (like 7.875 x 2.25, or 190 x 51) rear shock the 2014 Jamis Dakar XCT Comp takes? The stock 130 mm xfusion O2 RL shock on mine seems to have lost its rebound damping (boing!), and I'm figuring out if I have a spare that fits.Read More »