Jamis Dakar Pro 2002 Full Suspension

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Phil Slot a Cross Country Rider from Malibu, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2006

Strengths:    Goes very well over small to medium sized rocks, bumps, and ledges. This bike has ample travel for a light weight cross country rider. It climbs very well, and the lockouts (front and back) work great for the long climbs. I am pleasantly suprised with the Manitou Mars Super 2002. I thought I would want to replace it, but I like it much better than the Rock Shox Duke, and it takes a beating better than the SIDs I have ridden before. For a light weight small travel fork the Manitou is very nice. Also at around 25 pounds the bike is quite light for full suspension.

Weaknesses:    I hated the WTB laser seat that came from the factory. Also I prefer Riser bars. I have had no difficulties with this bike yet.

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this bike. I was convinced that hardtail was the way to go and I have always ridden sub 21 lb hardtails. My last bike was a Schwinn Homegrown Factory 2002, well I like the Jamis so much I decided to sell the homegrown. I have had no maintenance issues with it. When you consider the price of a Jamis versus some of the other brands, this is a great bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike that I have owned. I have however, ridden several other full suspension bikes. I prefer this bike over: Fisher Sugar, Litespeed Unicoi. It is also much nicer than an old GT LTS I used to ride.

Bike Setup:   All stock except: Time Atac pedals, New Kenda Blue edge tires, Monkey Lite riser bars, and a new seat.

Submitted by Max Hoagland from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    This is the best bike ever. With Manitou Blacks up front, it is perfectly balanced. The suspension feels much bigger than it is. Absorbs the smallests bumbs.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm a true cross-country rider at heart, but because I ride with my brother mostly, I have to have something tough enough to handle the stuff he takes me on (or I take him on). So I built this bike up as an all-mountain monster.

Although it's not specifically setup as a cross-country ride, it still runs like a mountain lion through the trails.

My brother takes me up to the University near our house and we jump of whatever we can find, and I've dropped about 4 to 6 feet and it still holds up!

This thing can take anything you want to dish out the way I set it up, and it's my favortie bike that I've ridden. If you only can have one bike, this is definitely it.

Favorite Trail:   Ski Resorts

Purchased At:   Wild Rose

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, GT i-Drive, Specialized FSR, Cannondale Jekly

Bike Setup:   Blacks in front, LX/XT drivetrain, Hellbent handlebars, oury grips, shimano clipless/ platform things. Set mostly for all mountain.

Submitted by Brent McAlister a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs great! Floats in the flats over small rocks, roots, undulations, etc. Goes downhill reasonably well considering its weight/setup. It has intangibles...it just feels fast and inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    In tight turns, especially at slow speeds, the handling can feel a bit dicey. The rear lockout doesn't really seem to completely lock out - pedalling while locked out caused the bike to kind of bounce.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It just feels fast and responsive. It floats over typical XC terrain and climbs extremely well. I have had zero mechanical problems so far (@250 miles). The only negative I have experienced is the handling in tight turns especially at low speeds. You just have to really make sure your weight is more to the rear rather than sort of leaning into the front tire and carving tight turns like I can do in my Cannondale hardtail.

More thoughts...

This is my first full suspension bike. I have never done much real downhill riding (I live in Texas!). I get the most enjoyment out of carving fast flat singletrack and powering up climbs...so I was a little hesistant to purchase a full suspension. @ 250 miles later, I have no regrets. This bike is more fun to ride than anything I've ever been on (except maybe a Ventana downhiller, but that thing was a tank on the flats & in climbs). With my Jamis Dakar XC I'm consistently climbing sections that I used to clean maybe 20% of the time on my hardtails. So, I haven't noticed significant power loss on climbs b/c of the full suspension. I can definitely feel that the power transfer is not as effecient as with my hardtail, however the extra traction and control that the full suspension provides makes it a much better climber overall. And then blasting through the flats and floating on the downs is pure heaven.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   1988 Bridgestone MB-3; 1995 Cannondale F-1000; 1998 Cannondale F-2000; Yeti ASR

Bike Setup:   come back to later...

Submitted by barry dean a Cross Country Rider from b'ham, al

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    The bike does a nice Job soaking up bumps

Weaknesses:    Jamis Customer Service. Actually they don't have any
so how do you call it customer service. I have replaced the worthless bushings on this thing every 6 months before finally mothballing it. At 100.00 a pop its a joke and try talking to someone at Jamis who cares!!! I had talked to everyone including regional sales reps. Seems they just want to make money off of you. selling bushings like they are disposable razorblades.

Bottom Line:
Run from this bike as fast as you can!
Otherwise you are wasting your money.
Buy only cartridge bearing bikes, despite what MBA
said in their review."Modern Bushings hold up very well"
yeah right!
Given my experience with Jamis even if they sell a cartridge bearing bike you might still want to stay away
given their lack of service

Favorite Trail:   any

Submitted by buzz a Cross Country Rider from Crested Butte, CO

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    great climber, great descender, very agile on the tight turns, light in weight

Weaknesses:    derailleur hanger, seat

Bottom Line:
Living in Crested Butte CO has presented some rare opportunities to hit some of the best mtn bike trails in the country. After riding some of these last year with a hardtail Klein, and now this year with the Jamis...I don't think I'll ever look back. Lots of confidence on the sketchy downhills, and even more on the epic climbs. Feels great to ride pass people who are pushing their bike up the steep singletrack. Busted the derailleur hanger on the third ride out, lets just say it doesn't get along with rocks. Since then (yeah, I was able to have it bent back), I've had some shifting issues, but gotta bring the bike in for a tuneup soon, I believe any mechanical problems are due to me sending it flying a few times. The seat...well, lets just say after about 35 miles you're not feeling too comfy, still have the same one...it's on the 'to buy' list.

This bike is amazing in all respects. Get one, you'll be glad you did!

Favorite Trail:   Strand Hill, Reno/Flag/Bear/Dead

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   first fs bike, previous bike: klein hardtail

Bike Setup:   Had to have a smaller stem put on...but same brand (cane creek), and swapped the time atac pedals for shimano M959s.

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Climbs like a Mountain Goat, Lock Outs, Way low Granny Gear.

Weaknesses:    Wimpy Hutchinson Pythons, BS California Handlebars, short Presta stem on tubeless rims.

Bottom Line:
This Thing Rocks. I weigh 210 pounds and stand 5'6". I swear I can climb walls with this bike.

For those of you who don't live in the Northeast, let me describe the conditions on the trails at Stewart (and pretty much everywhere else). Take old mountains, add dirt bikes and 4 wheel ATV's and scrub away the dirt. What you have left is ruts, roots, baby heads, deep banked hairpins, steep short climbs and descents, blind turns, sudden drops from out of nowhere. Oh Yeah! Add water everwhere there is a depression in the ground. The visibility down the trail ranges from 100 yards to 10 feet. The widths range from double track ATV to 1/2 track. The intensity is insane. And this Bike handles it all with Panache.

I have become a better rider in the last three months because of this bike. With the Panaracers I have the confidence to hit the loose scree in the hairpins at speed. I can take the turns on the bank without fear of sliding into the rut at the bottom. I have crashed more times in the past month than usual because I'm trying climbs and descents I would have walked before. I get much farther up the impossible climbs than I would have on my old bike. By the end of the year I'll have mastered them. The Descents are effortless. The combination of suspension, tires and handlebar absorbs everything and I hardly feel the 2-3 foot drops.

Tuning the suspension takes some time and practice but once it's set properly, what a ride. I use the lockouts on the road between trails and for the long ride back to the car on the road. I use the bike during the week to do loops in Central Park and without the lockouts I wouldn't get the speed I like (the Panaracers give up speed for traction).

The granny gear is way, way low and that's what gives the bike it's climbing ability. The geometry makes the bike responsive in really tight situations. Sometimes I lift the front end on climbs and wind up doing the dancing horse routine (hence the crashes). The only thing stops me is running out of steam. You know like when your climbing and can't get the legs to give you one more rotation or run into a tombstone going very slow (hence more crashes).

This is a bike for Serious, I say again SERIOUS cross country riders. You don't have to be a racer to appreciate this bike. If you love a well made product and take care of your gear. If you're a tinker and don't mind spending more time with your bike than your girlfriend (unless she Loves to ride also). Then this bike is for you. Otherwise go get a Huffy and ride in the park on Sunday.

Ok I know I'm talking too much but until you've ridden one of these you can't imagine what the fuss is about. Oh yeah, two last words, "Bike Envy". What your friends will have when they see your butt climbing over the top of the ridge (o:

Favorite Trail:   Stewart Buffer Zone Everywhere

Similar Products Used:   None, last bike was a Trek hardtail 21 speed with Manitou SX Fork, Thompson Stem, Coda Pedals, Shimano Linear Pull Brakes.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the addition of Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires and Answer Hyperlight Carbon flat handlebar.

Submitted by Dan Mills a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Strengths:    Climbing and high speed manuevering.

Weaknesses:    Seat. Drop out.

Bottom Line:
This bike is so quick and smooth that it will make you a lazy rider when it comes to picking a good down hill line. I just had a great week end with it in Moab and tried it out on Slick Rock, Flat Pass, Porcupine Rim, and Moab Rim/Hidden Meadows.

Under extreme shakes (wild down hills over rocks) I was able to shake loose the brass bolts holing the seat in position. Watch out on that. I can only imagine losing the thing and sitting down on you-know-what. OUCH! The weakness here is the fact that the bolts are brass and limited in "torqueability" (new word).

The drop out hanger (the piece the rear derailleur connects to on the frame) is wimpy. Laying the bike down on the rear derailleur side in a loss of control accident, will definitely bend it and screw up your shifting for that ride. Treat that area extra careful.

Planned upgrades are to change the bolts on the seat to stainless (for better torque settings) and do replace the drop out hanger with something a bit tougher.

Overall, this bike climbed fantastic. The lockouts are totally unnecessary if you have the shocks at the proper pressure settings for your weight. Stability of the ride is superior and the thing is as snappy as a hard tail. This baby does not lag on the turns.

I've taken it down hard on a couple of sections and sent it flying for a ways past my crumpled body. With the exception of a few new dings in the paint, she was ready to go. A true high tech bomber that can take it, but as light as many of the nicer hard tails out there.

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek Mountain

Price Paid:    $1918.00

Purchased At:   Highlander Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None similar. Former hard-tail rider.

Bike Setup:   Stock 19"

Submitted by John Neiley a Cross Country Rider from Dillon, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    Great component selection, clean frame design, light weight, true Horst link design means minimal pedal feedback.

Weaknesses:    Paint, saddle

Bottom Line:
I haven't ridden this bike more than about 6 times, both on asphault, fire-roads and once on singletrack. Still waiting for the snow to melt; however, I can say that the bike is spec-ed to the nines. Thomson seat post and stem, XT-XTR drive train, Mavic tubeless tires (no problems so far)great front and rear shock and a tried and true suspension design. On high speed descents over washboard fire roads, with a few rocky hits thrown into the mix the bike was flawless. The Mars fork and the Fox rear shock both balance well once you have the bike tuned to your weight and riding style. With the lock-out on both shocks you can run the suspension a little light to maximize shock absorption w/o worrying about losing energy on long climbs. The lock-out works great, but I had to replace the o-ring seal on the Manitou due to my own F-up when I checked the oil level and pinched the ring seal. Use care when servicing the TPC mechanism to avoid this problem. The horst link design is the best - all the top manufacturers use it - Specialized, Titus, Ellsworth, etc., for a reason. Even with the shocks set soft, you hardly notice any pedal feedback or brake jacking. I have the 19 inch frame and it's quick but stable. The 21 inch frame is way way way larger so go up to that size only if your a giant. The only weakness is a rather flimsy paint job - it looks great but chips easily. The seat was a give away - I only fit Selle Italia anyway so I planned on this upgrade. So far the tubeless tires have held their air really well. Once you set them up right, and really pressure them up once (60lbs plus) they'll seal well and hold air. The bike as rigged weighs just over 25lbs, which for a true full dual suspension rig is excellent. For the price and component spec, I give this ride top ratings, and based on the prior reviews I have no reason to think that durability will be an issue. The welds are clean and tight and the sealed cartridge bearings (new this year) mean a lot less maintenance. I don't know how Jamis does it - if you add up all the individual parts, you end up with about $2,500 worth of components, excluding the Frame! This ride really rocks for X-C racing, cruising and high speed fire road riding. No big drops or hucking, but that's not what its designed for. Fast and light and no more hardtail aching back - YEAH BABY!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 100, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Stock except shifters/brake levers have been upgraded to XTR and saddle is now Selle Italia flite trans am.

Submitted by Gail a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, WV

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Good weight for a full suspension. Mine wieghs 25 pounds. Every component is fantastic. CrossRoc wheels are great. The Mars Super fork is light and works well.

Weaknesses:    None. I would prefered disc breaks, but that would bring the weight up. You can get disc on the Dakar Expert and Comp.

Bottom Line:
This bike makes the perfect XC race bike. It handles like a dream down hill, but climbs like a goat. These are my first tubeless wheels and I love them. I've got super traction but no pinch flats. Everything is XT and XTR deraileurs and shifters keep the bike rolling along. I saved big bucks from what my LBS wanted. This bike should last a long, long time.

Purchased At:   mtbr.com classifieds

Similar Products Used:   2001 Dakar Comp, 2002 Giant NRS Air (test rode)

Bike Setup:   stock at this time

Submitted by GentleBen a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    This bike excels at climbing and navagating narrow singletrack. It comes stock with great parts and has a very nimble fealing.

Weaknesses:    weak rear derailer hanger

Bottom Line:
I was a little scared for the first few days. Not more then an hour after my bike left the show room floor, i hit a small problem....a huge stick got pulled up into my rear derailer and bent the hanger. So after a very short ride, with no more then 60 sec. on dirt, my bike was back in the shop. The guy told me that that was a very common repair and to be more careful of things that could strike the hanger. In all my times on the trails (off and on for about 6 years), I had never had that happen before, so it was a shock to me. I felt bewildered. I had him put a new hanger on and kept the old on for a spare. "No big deal....." i thought, "I just have to be more careful." And sofar, with more and more rides under my belt, my confidence in the quality of my bike is growing.
The bottom line is that this bike climbs like a bike out-of-hell. It climbs, and keeps climbing even when my legs beg to stop. The rear lock-out is a nice addition and works very well, making the back end like a hardtail. Even without the lock-out on, the rear wheel still keeps strong traction while remaining active. I have not used the front fork lock-out much, but i can see how it might come in handy on long steep climbs.
The bike has a great balance point and is nimble and quick in the turns. It loves tight singletrack.
The suspension blends together nicely. Both the rear shock and the front fork feal good when they are dialed in to your ridding style and weight.
So who should buy this bike? Anyone who climbs for the most of their ride. This is a definate X-country bike that is at home on the climbs and stable on the descents. If you just want to blaze downhill, taking big hits and dropoffs, you might look for something with a bit more travel (not that the Pro can't handle harsh stuff, its just not set up for such).
Major props for the Pro!!!!

Favorite Trail:   The Chute

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   Specilized Hardrock, Univega DS-900. Also: Rocket 88 stage 3, GT RTS, GT LTS and GT XCR (from friends)

Bike Setup:   stock....sofar i can't see anything that i would really need to upgrade

Heeeeelp!! dakar xc pro 2005

Hi guys! I write to you from the distant Siberia, absolutely do not know English, I write through Google translator. Need advice. I bought myself a frame means Jamis Dakar XC Pro 2005 carbon fiber, feathers. Read the reviews about the Dakar, that everything is bad, just broken feathers, what to do? ... Read More »

Jamis Dakar Pro - 650b Build

Hi All, I am failry new to this forum and thought I post up my latest build 2012 Jamis Dakar Pro - Frame, Fork & Headset Here is there specs: Kinesium alloy main triangle, asymmetrical chainstays with 12 x 135mm thru-axle dropouts, 130mm travel mp4 linkage design, 1.5 - 1 1/8” tapered he ... Read More »

Anyone heard anything about the Jamis Dakar XCR 29 Pro?

I'm taking a serious look at this guy and I wanted to hear anyone's impressions. Reviews are nearly non-existent out there on the interweb. It looks like it could be a serious competitor to the Superfly 100 or S-Works Epic. Thanks [IMG]http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/images/bikes_enlarg ... Read More »

2004 Jamis Dakar XC Pro for Sale (Good Deal?)

Local guy is selling an 04 Jamis Dakar XC Pro for $350. Upgraded the fork but I think everything else is original. Assuming the bike is in good shape, you guys think this is a decent deal. It's for my brother and it would be his first bike. Looked it up and they sold for about $3000 back in the ... Read More »