Haro Werks XLS 1.0 2002 Full Suspension

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Vinny from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    THIS IS AN UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS REVIEW, NOW THAT I'VE RIDDEN IT FOR A WHILE.

Weaknesses:    Not much

Bottom Line:
The bike has held up quite well. All summer I have been taking it off good sized jumps and drops and the only problem I have expiernced is that if you want to do any signifigant sized jumps or drops you will want a better wheelset (drops of 4 feet or less haven't been a problem for me though, at 150lbs). I have crashed the bike dozens of times and nothing has broken except for the tennis shoe adapters on the pedals. My only suggestion (other than to buy the bike) is to plan on buying new wheels and disc brakes if you want to do any signifigant downhill, freeriding, etc. Or if you know you want a heavier duty bike look into the trek liquid for about $500 more and avoid the hassle of needing to upgrade parts. Happy riding.

Purchased At:   Bikeway source

Similar Products Used:   Not much, Santa Cruz superlight has identical suspension design but I havent ridden one.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Bontrager race disc wheels and hayes hfx-9 disc brakes are on the way.

Submitted by vinny a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Strengths:    Surprisingly light (~27lbs I believe) and has a good group of compenents for the price. Integrated headset is pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    I've been riding it for about 2 weeks now pretty much every day and I haven't seen any signs of wear or weak parts. Only weakness is the tires which really don't perform very good on pavement or dirt so I'm looking to upgrade those soon. Also, the sid rear shock has no lockout.

Bottom Line:
I would greatly recommend this bike to someone looking for a mid level full suspension bike. For the retail price of $1500 I'll admit it doesn't stand out from it's competitors that much, but I found mine at my local shop marked down to $1000 bucks becuase it's a 2002 and it's now 2004, but the only other bike I was looking at under $1500 even was the specialized which made a big compromise going up from lx to xt components but using the manitou axel fork. This makes for a great xc bike, and the duke fork can take a relative beating if you find yourself straying a bit out of bounds. I would say it's best described as a poor man's santa cruz (because it uses the same exactly pivot points and suspension design!) So go test ride one and see if it's for you.

Purchased At:   Bikeway Source Bedford, MA

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher sugar, specialized fsr XCpro

Bike Setup:   all stock, I moved the stem down one spacer for personal preferance and added some pressure to the duke xc 100mm forks (good choice by Haro) but that was it.

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    Great bike! Performs everywhere on the trail, ascending, descending, singletrack, technical sections. The choice of using the Rock Shox Duke XC was smart. It keeps the price down yet performs like a fork twice its price. Shifting is smooth and reliable. Bike feels lighter than it is. Single pivot provides a stiff rear end.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock had to be serviced with less than 40 miles on it. But that is Rock Shox deal not Haro's. Tends to jump front end high.

Bottom Line:
This is a great performing bike. I have 900 miles on it with a lot of those miles coming from some aggressive cross country trail rides and the bike as performed flawlessly.

I liked the WTB nanoraptor tires when they were new, but recently replaced them as they were starting to lose their bite.

Great bike, great value.