Haro Extreme X1 2002 Full Suspension

4.43/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by ivanlt a Weekend Warrior from Austin TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Good geometry. Strong frame. All purpose bike with 5 inch rear travel. Ride better than some other bikes 2-3 times the price - just very good value for money.

Weaknesses:    Weight - more on the heavier side for pure XC....but then again this is not a XC bike. Disc brakes Quad QMD-4 is weak. Front fork SR Suntour XCP-75 is weak.

Bottom Line:
Value = 5 stars = Very good value for money.
Overall = 5 stars = Considering the price, the components are acceptable. Just to be picky.... Primary upgrades front shock and disc brakes. Secondary upgrades are rear derailleur and shifter to LX/XT components. Perfect all-mountain bike for a weekend rider who does not want to spend a fortune. Try one and you will be a believer.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Cottonwood, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    This is a kick ass bike!For those like me who want a bike that can take anything u put in its way. The shocks front and rear are great, you just have to know how to dial them in. My bike has done downhill,XC, freestyle. I've taken my bike off 1-2ft jumps with no problem. This is an a-ok road bike also. the breaks, the shocks, really almost everything on this stock bike is great.

Weaknesses:    the pedals! i dont know how many times i have slipped a pedal and knocked my shins in with those grip pegs.the crank(if used like mine is)must be replaced.for anyone who likes to do evrything, this is perfect, if u want to do one cirtan thing and ride it till it breaks go ahead, but if u think this bike should be used for 10+ft drop offs,cross country rides or anything major DO NOT BUY THIS!!! this bike is for new-casual riders. The saddle will need to be replaced also

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike from my ex-bike shop after they used it for a year as a rental (in Sedona, AZ) took $200 bucks off. Everything was dialed,worn in, pretty mutch this bike was perfect for me. I ride 7+ miles each day for not only riding around town, riding on trails,and body conditoning. This bike has done things none of my others can/have done. A few things may need to be replaced but its worth it. BUY THIS BIKE USED!! you will save money....hopefully and the bike will still be in great shape with just a few cosmetic errors, but u can sent it somewhere to get powdercoated which will last longer. Also buy a bash guard, it will prolong the life of your crank so u dont have to replace it!

Favorite Trail:   Red Rock Pathways

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Heaven

Similar Products Used:   haro's bmx products, hardtail mountain bikes, just small stuff

Bike Setup:   stock......but not for long!

Submitted by Alan Gibson a Weekend Warrior from Woodstock, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Strengths:    Rides easy and balanced. Suspension is great for average trail riding. Seems very strong unless you are going to do big drops. Great value. The manufacture anwered my e-mails quickly with questions I had.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for serious riders. Disk breaks aren't much better than rim brakes. Front shock is entry level. Upgrade front shock if you can at purchase.

Bottom Line:
I ride about 3 days a week and usually ride about 10 miles each time. This bike is perfect for me. I don't ride for speed, I ride for fitness so the weight is not an issue for me. The bike handles great and seems to always stay under me. I would recomend this bike for riders like myself. If you are a racer or if show is why you are buying a bike go spend more money. You won't find a better bike for the price for the person that just wants to go out and ride. My rating is for the average recreational rider.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Galyan's

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike. I am sold.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Stephen Beaver a Weekend Warrior from Downingtown PA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    OVERALL GREAT!!! THE BIKE CAME WITH SPRINGS THAT WHERE NOT RATED FOR MY WIEGHT 215LBS WITH THE NEW 850LB SPRING IN THE REAR IT WORKS PREFECT.DH AND UP HILL GREAT! FEELS LIGHT !SHIFTS SMOOTH.DISK BRAKE WORK GREAT

Weaknesses:    FRONT FORK FEELS SOFT EVEN WITH THE STIFFER SPRINGS FOR MY WIEGHT.FORKS BOBS TO MUCH WHEN STANDING.TIRES ARE GREAT FOR TRACTION BUT ARE HUGE 2.35 SLOW AND THE FLATS. THE HEAD TUBE ANGLE FEELS TO SLACK BUT IS GREAT WHEN YOU ARE MOVING DH.

Bottom Line:
NOTHING COMPARES, LOTS OF FUN, HAS MADE ME WANT TO RIDE MORE,WE HAVE 2 AND A FRIEND JUST GOT ONE AFTER SEEING MINE LOKS GREAT AND WORKS NOT A RACE RIDE BUT PREFECT FOR A TRAIL BIKE.TIME WILL TELL BUT TO THIS POINT ITS ALL GOOD

Favorite Trail:   marsh Creek

Purchased At:   Downingtown bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I HAVE HAD 3 OTHER MOUNTIAN BIKES ALL HARD TAILS

Bike Setup:   STOCK ONLY ADDED BAR END AND CHANGED GRIPS

Submitted by Monk a Downhiller from ?

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Use the bike for what it was intended...trailriding. If you start hucking and jumping it you will break it. My roomate recently broke a 2002 Extreme 2 in half . He rode it for about 5 months (6" Junior T and some other beefed parts)...took it downhilling a dozen or more times and would go to the jump park a few times a month.
Here's the scenario: He was playin on a 6-7 foot drop with a nice tranny. The last time he hit it the shock snapped upon landing and then the bottom pivot pulled right out of the tube...not on the weld or anything but right in the middle of the tube...just yanked it right out...and he bailed. I couldn't believe it...it is a super smooth drop...hardly feels like you have left the ground. It held up for awhile but when it failed...it failed bigtime. (I have heard that about 7005 series aluminum...it is strong material but brittle...or somethin like that)

If you want to start downhillin you should continue to use the bike as a trail bike and start saving for a bullit. If you like the way the Extreme handles the Bullit will feel similiar...Extremes are just cheapy Bullit copies.

So bottom line: save up and get the real thing if you want to play hard...trying to turn a low-priced trail bike into a DH rig is askin for trouble.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    This is a good all-around bike. I got the first 2003 available. (I got it the day after Haro shipped, when I got to my dealer he had just put it together) The components are solid, and the workmanship in the frame and components is top notch.

Weaknesses:    I’ve bottomed out coming off of some big drops. But my buddy did the same thing and he paid $2000+ for his.

Bottom Line:
This bike compares to everything else in the $1200 range. If you want to get into riding this would be the bike to buy. It is solid and I have no complaints. True there are better bikes, but this one with a few upgrades can compete with most other bikes out there. If you already have a ride you should buy this one so you can take a buddy out and get him hooked on riding too.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   College Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Stock - For now.

Submitted by Jeremiah a Cross Country Rider from Manhattan, KS

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Fit and finish, overall pleased

Weaknesses:    shock, pedals, headset, stem, so far???

Bottom Line:
I have been out of the scene for quite a while but have been looking feverishly. When I came across the price, I couldn't pass it up. WOW, these things have come a long way.

Anyway, my initial impressions were favorable and took it out for a thrashing. Hopefully the mechanical disks wear in for they are useless right now, dialed the pad actuators in as far as possible without inhibiting wheel spin and still to no avail. Will see if this gets better.

Already have comps on the way to replace the stock pedals, headset, and stem. But who cares, with the money I saved, I can give it a full on set up.

Overall, very happy. It will get a serious workout this weekend :) This bike would be a great starter for anyone not wanting to drop a grand on a full suspension ride.

I want to thank mtbr and these posts. I was skeptical with a lot of bikes and the reviews helped me make a final decision. And the price, can't beat it. You guys rock and I am glad to be back at it.

Purchased At:   internet

Bike Setup:   Rebound cranked up, 200 lb rider so that is expected, still playing with the forks

Submitted by John Pardue a Downhiller from Ft.Worth ,Texas

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
Parts are ok.Frame is great.5" travel is plush.paint is great.I have this bicycle as a urban ride with a Z>1 QR20 + DH wheels for drops n such...I weigh 198 pounds & the shock is fine.I needed to crank up the preload spring so the shock doesn't bottom too much on 4' to flat drops in the city..Loading docks are fun on this thing...I have rode it hard for apx. 6 months & have has no problems yet..I have heard of the shock mount cracking? What are these riders doing to do that? I have to say that "Haro should warranty a "EXTREME" bike if it breaks! because in the catalog they hype it as a hucking,north shore or whatever bike! I seroiusly doubt it's all that..More like a strong XC bike & prerunnner for DH courses...I am suprised mine has not broken yet doing urban rides.

Favorite Trail:   URBAN

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Intense M1

Bike Setup:   replaced all the parts except post/QR/headset/derailer...

Submitted by scooby a Weekend Warrior from E.Coast ,USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    everything is ok except the problem noted below! Plush suspension frame.Not any more flexy than any other freeride bike on the swingarm...Paint job rocks w/ red & white !

Weaknesses:    Shock mount on downtube get's stressed & crackes.. Headtube angle could be about 1 degree less @ 69* & seat tube too ! ALso some PAINT overspray on the bottom bracket cup made swithing the BB a REAL workout !!!!!

Bottom Line:
Weld the shock mount a Lot more Haro.goob it up with more weld & this problem may be a thing of the past ! Sending it in on warranty & i'm sure i'll have no problem swithing it out for a Haro hardtail that won't ever break or stress!

Submitted by BHD Oliver a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Price point versus Quality

Weaknesses:    Frame and some components

Bottom Line:
I enjoy this bike a lot. It's well balanced and tough.... kinda. I went through a couple of creek crossings and the water killed the hub grease. Those will need to be upgraded soon. I know it's bad... but I've done worse to stock hubs elsewhere and been fine. Just a couple of splashes almost killed 'em. I also just had to take the frame in... and am getting it replaced. Seems they sometimes develop a crack where the rear shock junction is at the downtube. I didn't do anything EXTREME either. 2 foot airs and a few mild 2 foot drops. For any bike in this price range... that's a no-no. Read the X3 reviews for more info on this. It does happen. The disk brakes on this model are almost pointless. I've had cantis that do better. BUT... this is a good starting point as many have said. In the shop 2 times in first 3 mos. isn't great though.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek... anything long

Purchased At:   Oshmans

Similar Products Used:   Titan, Cannondale, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Stock (not for much longer though)

Submitted by Matt Branstetter a Weekend Warrior from Riverside

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Strengths:    Tires grip great if you have enough pressure.
Discs work great if theyre dialed in right.
It's lightwieght but feels sturdy.
It's paint job looks good.

Weaknesses:    Crappy cranks.
Crappy chainrings. (Goes along w/ cranks.)
Crappy forks.
Crappy Pedals.

Bottom Line:
You can do pretty much everything you see on this bike. I am able to do fairly large drops, and go down some great trails.
It's a great starter bike and if you only upgrade some of the components, it can be a serious downhill/racing bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   Yorba Linda

Bike Setup:   All stock except for new pedals that I recently purchased.

Submitted by Fred J. a Downhiller from San Francisco, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Haro is making a real winner with this frameset! I have replaced most of the stock parts to my liking.5" travel is plush & firm for my 190lb weight.Nice pedaler & top notch decender as well.I am thankful i bought this bike & did not waste extra money on something i really don't need -like an Intense M1 or something exotic...If you race FULL-ON dh & do like 300 runs a year & pound the bike-then get an Intense M1 to be safe if you can afford it.get this ride to have tons of fun & confidence in the bike while saving some $.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   2001 Bullet

Bike Setup:   Jr. T /Sun Doublewides /DH tires /Azonic riser bars /Azonic DH stem /Hayes hyd. disk brakes.

Submitted by scooby_snack a Downhiller from USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Haro quality

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
SOLID ..period...swingarm is Stiff.mainframe is perfect..attacks the DH like any other bike which costs 3x more !X-Werks shock is really great.Setup so good from the factory-i'm impressed !Why buy anything else for DH or freeride ?Red/White is an awesome paintjob...Ride it hard,this bike will take the narly downhills no problem. I have 12 runs at Sugar mtn EX course & it's still in mint condition & the shock never faded or anything....The stock parts especially the fork will trick you thinking it's a cheap ride! Obiously it's not...Buy it for the frameset at least..