Giant XtC NRS 2 2002 Full Suspension

4.44/5 (84 Reviews)

Submitted by Jeff Ackley a Weekend Warrior from Pickerington, Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Great for older BMX'rs

Bottom Line:
I'm a 40 year old former BMX'r from the late 70's and early 80's. Red Line, Mongoose, and Diamond Back were at the top of the chain. I'm to old to do what the kids are doing now. I've had a few mountain bikes over the last 12 years. I really didn't like them. The biggest issue was the weight. I purchased this bike three years ago and simply use it on camping trips and to ride around with my daughter.
Simply put, this bike is perfect for me. I have no complaints about it. It's very light and meets my needs perfectly. I seriously don't see myself ever having to purchase another bike. I would strongly recommend it to any old time BMX'r who has grown up but still misses that little bit of excitement. Expensive, but worth it.

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Submitted by Mel a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    Best components (for the money) of any bicycle in the market at the time of purchase. Suspension works exactly as advertised. Microlube fittings on the front fork are a great feature.

Weaknesses:    Stickers on the front fork fell off almost immediately. Weak inner tubes.
Downgraded components for 2004/2005.

Bottom Line:
This has been a very reliable bike. With minor routine maintenance, it has delivered many miles of trouble free riding, not only here in Florida, but in the more challenging trails of the Pisgah Ntl. Forest. The springs in the front suspension are excellent for someone in my weight range (155) but may be too soft for a heavier rider.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Rock, Dupont State Forest, NC

Purchased At:   Bike Works

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Jeff Milligan from Little Rock, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Handles very technical (rocks, roots, etc.) trails adequately. Light weight makes for a very good climber. Anti-BOB technology is awsome for both climbs and road.

Weaknesses:    Tires - unless you're a racer Hutchison pythons should be at the bottom of your list.
Fork - 2 failures in under a year - a damper assembly and owers replaced due to cracked arch.
rims - Stock rims don't hold up well to rocky, rooty trails. After a half dozen broken spokes I had to upgrade.
Factory recommended fork/shock setup specs are off, too stiff.
Rear derailer - needs almost constant attention/adjustment.
Paint - metalic red is prone to fading.

Bottom Line:
Touted as a great all around XC bike, I've found it's durability suspect. I ride this bike every day for cardio fitness and it hasn't held up to my expectations. I plan to upgrade the rear derailer and maybe the fork before giving up completely. Bottom line, the bike is a great climber and adequate descender for the weekend warior and or novice racer. I wouldn't recommend it to any avid/frequent trail/enduro rider.

Favorite Trail:   Allsopp

Purchased At:   Chainwheel

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Stock except ryno lite rims and IRC tires.

Submitted by Maria a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    awesome components for price, avid mech disc brakes are great, derailleurs are ok, rear shock absorbs bumps really well and doesn't bob while climbing hills

Weaknesses:    chain sucks, fell apart while riding on 2 separate occasions

Bottom Line:
overall, i love this bike. i just got into mtn biking and i wanted a good bike but for a reasonable price. it climbs hills pretty well without the bob in the rear shock. frame is pretty lightweight, but giants bike frames run a little larger. the only problem i had was with the chain, but i think it was because i got the bike used and the previous owner pretty much wore out the chain. also, sometimes i have problems with the front derailleur, it doesn't shift properly, but that could just be it's not adjusted correctly.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   looked at specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   stock parts, but with shimano xtr chain, shimano pd-m646 pedals, titec hell-bent handlebar

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    -Climbing
-Good Weight
-Decent mix of components

Weaknesses:    ?????Easily dented Top/Down tubes, if had to choose something.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike!!! First F/S bike I have owned and couldn't of picked a better bike. It tracks well in the corners, decends great and climbs awesome. I've but quite a few rides on this bike now through various terrains and couldn't imagine a bike handling any stronger. The NRS line has plenty of options whether you are an beginner or a racer. Only down fall is that they dropped the NRS 3 for 04 and down graded the components of the NRS 2 to compensate. Highly Recommend!!!!

Purchased At:   Used-MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   Misc hardtails/FS

Bike Setup:   Stock with Truvatic crank

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Taipei, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2003

Strengths:    NRS system, lightweight, disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Ghost shifting on the uphill - but a little tweaking and problems, so far, solved.

Bottom Line:
This is my third Giant bike, but the last time I rode one - or any bike for that matter - was back in '96. What have I missed! Love the suspension system. Makes for a much more comfortable and smoother ride on any terrain than I was ever used to when I was younger. Disc brakes are good, but do tend to squeal at times. Ghost shifting was sorted with a little tinkering around. Overall am very pleased with the bike and am really just getting back into riding again after a long absence. Also you can never complain about the price of Giant bikes here in Taiwan compared to elsewhere - so excellent value for money.

Submitted by Walter a Cross Country Rider from Helmond NL

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    NRS, FS and real XC

Weaknesses:    bottombracket (ISIS) the standard RF replaced by some sort of FSA. ISIS sucks by design, so does Octalink.
Fork Manitou Skareb flexed, rebuild before it broke, replaced before it could brake, Marzocchi rulez
RS SID damper leaked air after a few months. Skweeks after rebuild,sucks in general. Guess its al in the name, SID, sounds like...

Bottom Line:
Great bike, bad choice in components.
Had some components replaced right away, great deal at my LBS.
Wish I had changed the fork right then, but then again, wouldn't know what I know now.
Very happy with my relative simple and inexpensive Marzocchi MX Comp Air.
The NRS system realy works great. I use a little less air pressure as recommended, more comfort, still no bobbing.

Favorite Trail:   Ardennes, Alps

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Cannondale Jekyll, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Magura Louise, Marzocchi Bomber, SRAM 9.0 Mavic X317, Schwalbe Big Jim, Easton and RF

Submitted by Dave M a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Strengths:    Price, parts spec and the no-bob suspension.

Weaknesses:    Manitou Black fork, Generic disc hubs (I was not lucky enough to get the XT Hubs), Titec seat post w/ shim, Hutchinson Python tires.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this bike is awesome. You just have to get it set up right. First I will detail the problems that I had:

1. Rear disc hub broke - Giant replaced entire wheel w/Shimano Deore disc hub and the same rim - I replaced the front hub with a Deore.

2. Bottom bracket creaking and non drive crank backing out. My LBS determined that the bottom bracket was not tightened properly either at the factory or when assembled. That was causing the crank to back away from the BB. They tightened it up and all has been fine.

3. Manitou Black Comp 80/100 fork - After about 6 rides it started sticking and I could not use the 100mm travel setting. It also made a loud popping noise. Answer overnighted the parts to my LBS and I had the fork back in two days. I have not had a problem since - especially since it is sitting in my closet.

Now for the good stuff! This bike really rocks! The XL is a perfect fit for me. The rear suspension works as advertised - no bob. You do have to set it up to match your riding style. Follow Giant's advice, not Rock Shox. For my weight (About 215 lbs.) I run 225 psi in the positive chamber and 50 in the negative. I have rebound set at the slowest speed. This bike climbs, climbs, climbs. Then when it is time to descend, you have 3.75" of travel in the rear. It does get somewhat bouncy when descending on technical terrain while braking.

The stock fork on this was horrible. Too plush and did not steer well. It might have been better had Giant given spec'd it with a more firm spring. I have since replaced it with a 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA. This fork is the perfect match for this bike. I have not experienced the chain suck that I have read so much about in these reviews. The Raceface cranks are pretty good too. For those looking to upgrade from a hardtail to full suspension look no further. Just be sure to test one out and make sure you like the feel. For the weight weenies it is a heavier bike. 28-29 pounds. But it is perfect for the riding that I do. This review can be used for the 2003 NRS 2 also. The only difference is the paint and the front fork. Once dialed in the bike is up for any challenge. I have done small jumps, small drop offs, ridden all types of terrain (except mud) and it just keeps asking for more.

5 flaming terds for value and 4 for the overall rating. I only give 4 because of the above problems and I think Giant should have worked w/ Answer/Manitou to have the firm spring kit added to the Black fork for the larger bikes.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan, Noble Canyon, SART

Purchased At:   Some Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I test a Cannondale Super V and a Klein Adept Comp

Bike Setup:   2003 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA fork, Hayes HFX Comp Hydraulic Disc brakes, Easton EA50 stem and seat post, Panaracer Fire w/ anti-snake bite, XT front deraileur, Deore disc hubs, all else stock.

Submitted by Scott Chilcote a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    (Already discussed in detail)

Weaknesses:    Integrated headset. What have bike manufacturers been smoking lately? Have your shop order the adapters and put in a King.

Bottom Line:
I posted this for the NRS1 just now, but the NRS 2 (and 3) for 2003 have the same frame and therefore the same problem.

This is a follow-on note for those who have been having the ghost-shifting problem. Please refer to the News posting for 01/03 on www.angryasian.com.

According to this News posting, the problem with ghost shifting is due to the fact that the 2002 NRS frame has a small amount of flex in the right seatstay during hard pedaling uphill. Since the rear derailleur cable is routed through stops at either end of this seatstay, and it takes a very small amount of cable motion to shift Shimano 9-speed SIS, this allows ghost shifting.

The recommended fix is to remove the rear derailleur cable from the stops in the seatstay, and use a single piece of cable housing starting from the end of the top tube all the way to the rear derailleur. Attach the cable housing to the seat stay using zip ties.

Just FYI. Apologies for making this a review, but it seemed like the most general location here.

Purchased At:   All Star Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Fuel and Sugar.

Submitted by Henry Bosman a Cross Country Rider from Fishers, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    No-Bob suspension. In my opinion, if you are a hardtail rider looking to go full suspension, NRS is a great design. When you are cranking hard on the pedals uphill, it tends to lockout the rear suspension. This is great for hardtail riders but maybe not satisfactory for "true" full suspension enthusiasts. When I'm on flat ground, I don't feel any bobbing. But, when I'm going downhill, I can let'er rip and stay seated if I want to. XT Hubs(especially at this price). Avid Disk breaks, low weight and maintenance, great feel. WTB Rocket V saddle, liked it so much I bought a second one for my hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Manitou Black Comp fork needs stiffer spring and aluminum travel adjust lever and better stickers. Seatpost seat clamp kept loosening and one day broke on me going downhill. Yes, the result wasn't pleasant. Titec first sent me two replacement clamps but they loosened as well. Titec did honor my request to replace the seatpost for one of their two bolt models, yes its heavier but I don't need to re-tighten it all of the time. If I was a weight freak I would have spent $50 on a Thompson. Never tried the stock pedals, immediately put on my old Time Alums.

Bottom Line:
Great bike I can't imagine replacing it. Someday I might replace the fork but it's been great so far. I probably should replace the chain(some no-name brand) to a SRAM for chain suck problems in "extreme" muddy conditions. After having this bike, I would never go back to caliper brakes or hardtails, in dirt anyway. The bike weighs about 29 LBs but I don't ever ride my 25 LB hardtail on dirt anymore. It would be better to lose 10 LBS from my middle. I compared this bike to a Trek Fuel in the same price range, I think it was the 90. But the NRS 2 has disk brakes and climbs a little better. It was a tough decision, because I like Trek products. Now I also like Giant Products.

Favorite Trail:   Difficult Run in Virginia

Purchased At:   Bicycle Garage Indy

Similar Products Used:   Old Mountaincycle, heavy and bob city. Yes, I know its not a trail bike.

Bike Setup:   Time Alum pedals, Hutchinson Scorpion Tires(best all around tires I ever tried),Titec Two Bolt Seapost.

Submitted by FireHawk a Weekend Warrior from Paradise, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Strengths:    This is an update post. Posted earlier on about May 1, 2002. Bought the bike about April 1, 2002. Great buy for the money spent. Very good overall components. The Giant NRS-2 delivers what the manufacturer promises-NRS. I am not a heavy duty rider but a person who loves the outdoors and riding single track.

Weaknesses:    Shimano 505 pedals, Shimano HG chain, Manitou fork springs may not be balanced to your weight

Bottom Line:
Love the bike. Started as a mtb beginner and have advanced to low intermediate. The rear suspension (my first soft tail mtb) rides so great. Just let it go and it floats right through the rocks and bumps. Amazing. Has little or no bob. Avid brakes are great. They work so well and require hardly any maintenance. Am happy with the suspension including the Manitou Black Fork with the upgraded, heavy springs and the rear Rock Shock Sid air shock. Neither shock leaks air which is great. As a tinker of details, I am considering changing the rear shock to a more plush ride, the Cane Creek Cloud 9. Still not fully convinced that I need to do it, though. There are varied reviews on the bob of the Cloud 9 and I just wonder if my rding really makes it worthwhile to spend the money (about $250).

This bike will ghost shift until you change out the Shimano HG chain for a Sram chain. Had all kinds of suggestions on how to rid the ghost shifting. Giant said that the rear sprocket was probably loose. Others said that the BB was improperly shimmed. Nada. The problem was the Shimano chain. When I had the chain changed to the Sram 69, I also had the shifting cables changed to pre-stretched cables. The bike no longer ghost shifts.

The Shimano 505 pedals are not very good. The black plastic cages, which is really a demo room thing, fall off all the time. Then, it leaves a beginner with clipless pedals that are hard to use without any platform. So, I changed the 505's to Shimano 646's and could not be happier. The 646's are great. They allow me to be clipped in when needed and unclipped when I am nervous with the service.

So, the bottom line is that I love this bike and easily recommend that others buy it. It is a great buy for your money with what you get. Don't believe all the hoopla about the thin Aluminum tubing. Yeah, it scratches but those are due to my stupidity dropping the bike on lava rocks in Chico's Bidwell Park.

Favorite Trail:   Many-Bidwell Park, Northstar

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle, Sacramento

Similar Products Used:   Old Marin Bear Valley SE hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock plus Shimano 646 pedals ($70), Manitou fork heavy spring kit ($35), WTB Velo 2.1 tires ($45), Slime tubes ($15), Oury grips ($10), Sram 69 chain ($30), pre-stetched shiftter cables (about $20), Lizard Skin chain stay protector ($8), Cateye-2 computer ($23), seat post fast adjust clip (about $10)

Submitted by Michael Drawdy a Weekend Warrior from Aiken, SC

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    Stout frame and excellent suspension (zero bob).

I don't understand the continuous comments about the thin tubes. The tubes do their job as advertised. They don't tweak, bend or crease. Numerous people claim the tubes are thin but their are no problems to back up the "too thin tubes" claim. I clamp my top tube in my Swagman bike rack several times a week and have never had a problem. Numerous trips up and down the highways on the back of my SUV to ride Pisgah and Tsali and Conyers and Helen and I have yet to tweak the tubes. Dirt roads? Not a problem...

Weaknesses:    Front shock...Shimano 505 pedals...

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to my 12/01 review.

This bike still rocks. I have put around 1500 offroad miles on it. The suspension still works as advertised. I replaced the Manitou Black Comp (junk) with an RS Duke XC. That fixed the bottoming out (the firm spring was a waste of money). Put on a Thompson seat post to eliminate creaking. Eggbeaters replaced the 505s. Am on my third set of tires and I finally replaced the cheap, no-name hubs that my early '02 NRS2 came with. This is an outstanding bike! Life is very good! This bike does not disappoint.

I recently bought my wife a Yeti Kokopelli and that has me thinking of replacing the NRS though!

Favorite Trail:   Horn Creek

Purchased At:   Andy Jordan's

Submitted by J B a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    Best component deal, frame does as advertised, color/looks, and stuff

Weaknesses:    Fork had weak spring; stickers came off fork; pedals suck (Shimano 505)

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks for the money. I robbed my hardtail to upgrade parts (mainly RaceFace stuff & pedals). Had to order firmer spring for the fork and I weigh 180lbs (190 w/ water and tools). Brakes and transmission only compliment the rear suspension. Good finish, headset is doing great. Maybe some extreme x-chaining problems.
Proof the hardtail guys have no more excuses.

Favorite Trail:   Mountaintown N Georgia

Purchased At:   West Bicycles in Knoxville

Similar Products Used:   All hardtails

Bike Setup:   RaceFace stem, bar, seatpost, cranks; IRC tires; Avid 7 levers; stock everywhere else

Submitted by J B a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Proof the hardtail guys have no more excuses.

Favorite Trail:   Mountaintown N Georgia

Purchased At:   West Bicycles in Knoxville

Similar Products Used:   All hardtails

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame, Price/Value, Avid Disc Brakes, Solid Wheels with XT Hubs, XT Rear D.

Weaknesses:    Titec Seatpost, Cheap Race Face Cranks, OEM chain, Manitou Black Comp, Thin tubing, Deore Front D.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is you get alot of bike for the price. This is hands down the best full suspension value at this price point. This bike has some flaws but there is nothing that can't be upgraded to correct them. For those people who review after riding the bike for a day or comment on the thin tubes or the tires suck.... Come on people get with it. The Bad: Titec seatpost is a noisy piece of junk, Black Comp fork is speced with springs for someone around 160 lbs. This fork will bottom out on you all the time if you are over that weight. Go and order a stiffer spring kit. This will improve the fork. Overall the fork is OK but Im not impressed with all of the cheap plastic. Do Not be fooled by the Race Face Prodigy crank set. These are not great RF cranks. These are cheap heavy and poor shifting cranks. These are not made in Canada like most RF stuff but in Taiwan (no problem with that so is the frame... but this is not the real race face stuff). My cranks shifted poorly from day 1 and bent after the first 3 months. Upgrade to Shimano and shifting improved 100%. OEM chain broke on me after the 5th ride while going up a hill. There have been many comments on this site about the chain in connection with ghost shifting problems on the NRS. Swap this out for SRAM. The tubing on the frame is very thin. I don't feel any kind of unwanted flex and the bike is very sturdy but you must be a bit careful with it so that you don't dent it up. The Good: NRS Suspension works great and as advertised. There are set levels for the Sid shock but I have found experimenting with the pressures to help out when I want a "plusher" ride. Avid Brakes are great. Later NRS 2s in the production year are speced with XT hubs. The frame is well made. The bike looks great. This is an excellent bike for trail riding and racing with some upgrades. The bike corners very well and has a hard tail feel until you hit the bumps. The bike feels nimble and fast. I believe all of the NRS frames from the Air to the NRS 3 are the same so it is a great frame (I think there might be some differences with the model of rear shock). I think the NRS 2 is the best value. After a year of riding I am pleased with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods