Giant XtC NRS 1 2002 Full Suspension

4.6/5 (105 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by Rod C. a Racer from Locust Valley, NY

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Strengths:    No Bob. Great Specs. Massive value. Made me a better climber and all around rider.

Weaknesses:    Ghost Shifting (until you realize how to eliminate it)
Python tires suck! The tubeless version flat easily.

Bottom Line:
Two things:
End ghost shifting by taking the rear deraliur cable out of the couplings that are on the seatstay. Instead of securing the cable in the couplings, use zip ties to secure it along the seatstay. I tried everything before learning of this solution. It's the only thing that worked at the cost is a few pennies for two zip ties!
Second Problem is the Python tires. I'm 147 pounds and ride light. I used to run Kenda Karisma tires and tube setup at 38 psi on my previous bike and never flated.
With the tubeless setup, running both Pythons and Comp S tubeless tires, I had at least 15 flats due to sidewall cuts in six months.
I switched to IRC Seracs and Kenda Karisma's (both tubeless)and have had only two flats (both from thorns) in 15 months.
Everything else about the bike is great. So happy with Giant that I bought a TCR 2 road bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Similar Products Used:   DiamondBack Carbon Fiber Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Egg Beatters, Monkey Lite Carbon, Mavic CrossMax Tubeless, IRC Serac tubeless tires, Thompson seatpost, Fizik Alante saddle

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Tracy, CA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    This is a follow-up status
No BOB, Good Components, disk Brakes, Light ~27lbs
Loves to climb
Tires last a long time and generally a good all around tire - does not lose a lot of pressure and has never given me any flats

Weaknesses:
1) Rear cassette can come loose from axle bolt loosening out. When this happens it causes Rim to flex. You can tell when you put 2.1 tires because they will rub frame, also can tell when peddling out of the seat because
the rear feels like some thing is loose. Its an easy fix, but its comes loose over 200-300miles. I use to think this was rim flex but it isn’t! Easiest way
to check is to grab rear cassette with hand and see if there is any play when
pulling cassette in and out, is so the axle bolt next to cassette needs to be tighten a little.
2) Chain jump/Ghost shift - at first, can be fixed
Fix by stretching cable-pull on it to quicken the stretch.
Once the cable is done stretching the problem goes away.
Note, all new bikes go through this phase till the cable
is stretched!
Part of my chain jump was due to a broken tooth on the smallest cog that I never noticed till I cleaned the bike!
Once replaced cog, the chain jump on that cog stopped.
3) Chain slap on bottom rail
Remove 2 links so that chain does not hit bottom rail
on smallest cog, then add a lizard skin - stops the problem and helps reduce the Ghost shifting.
4) Pythons generally good on everything but real loose terrain, can not peddle over wet roots or rocks, will just spin, so you have to go over those types of obstacles with momentum. Replace rear with a IRC SERAC and everything is perfect!. IRC SERAC has tons of traction. I leave the Python on the front because it rolls fast and last for ever- no flats in over 1yr and the tread looks new still.
5) After 700 miles you will notice that the cables
will rub the paint down! have to put those round
sticky felt stuff on cable and will stop the paint
removal

Bottom Line:
-Love the bike! it climbs without effort.
-Plan to purchase another for my wife
-Its light – 27lbs due to disk brakes
-Fork, shock, tires all hold air pressures.
Tires might loose a little till you put in the Stan's goo
-Once the cable finished stretching & remove 2 chain links; the ghost shifting will end.
-Python tires roll very fast, do not flat or puncture easy, tread last for 1.5-2yrs
would prefer a back tire with a little bit more knob
but all tire reviews for Tubeless are horrible except for SERAC.
Michelin Comp S UST Tubeless & IRC have similar tread patterns that look a bit more aggressive and would be an alternative. I am using the IRC SERAC and the
Tire has plenty of grip - I read that the IRC works well but very difficult to put on.
I let the tire sit in the sun, and lube the bead with grease and had no problems putting it on. Also the Hayes disk brakes are the easiest to service out of all brands. Down load the instructions from Hayes web sit. I use a syringe from the pet store and a tube from the HW store – total of $4 for the parts.
So only major stock weakness is rear tire, and chain skip due to cable stretching.

Purchased At:   Pleasanton Bicycles, CA

Bike Setup:   178lb rider
1" rise Bars from LP. I had Answers but they broke easily in a crash and had no flex what so ever. The LP has a better warranty, has lasted through many crashes, can handle bar ends, and has way more damping characteristics than Answer!
Lizard skin on bottom rail
11.3mm front fork sag 1.75 turns out rebound- best setting
2mm Rear shock sag / 2.75 turns in Rebound - stops the back end from kicking and improves the plush-ness over small bumps - a must!
8mm shorter TiTec stem - I am only 5'8.5" so do not want to be bent over so much
35psi rear tire pressure, 33psi front tire pressure
Stan’s NoTubes Liquid Latex - Works great! No flats yet!
Quick adjust seat post clamp for those long, steap down hills, can lower the seat w/o any effort or tools
Hutchinson front tire, IRC SERAC rear – Best combo!
LP braid Jr bar ends
2 links taken out of chain – to minimize chair rub/slap/skip

Submitted by Craig Jones a Cross Country Rider from Belmont, CA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome climber - no bob on the uphills and with a quick twist on the rebound adjust it descends great - very smooth and the bike holds a line well.

Weaknesses:    Giant's choice of tires could have been better. The tread pattern of the Python's leaves a lot of room for improvement. On loose trails it loses traction easily. Changed it immediately after my first ride. The geometry of the bike takes a little getting used to compared to other bikes. I'm 6'2" tall and I noticed that on my 20.5" ride that the front end seems to pop up no matter how I position my seat and stance over the bike on climbs.

Bottom Line:
Picking this bike up at the end of the season saved me some bucks but even if I had payed the full price this would have been the best money spent! I am totally psyched by this bike. The Superlight was a more plush ride but it would have also cost a lot more with the same component set up so in my mind this was a better choice! If you want to maximize your value vs. quality this should be the bike of choice!!

Favorite Trail:   Skegg's Point

Purchased At:   The Bike Connection, Palo Alto

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgraded XT shifters and front derailer. Picked em' cheap on ebay to round out the XT rear drive!

Submitted by robert wooldridge a Cross Country Rider from temecula

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2003

Strengths:    THIS BIKE IS A SCREAMER. climbs like a hardtail light,very fast,stops on a dime.tires are great all around,sand,mud,rocks.shoxs are also very fore giving. front air shox works great under any condition. back shox responds exelent. love the diskbrakes.

Weaknesses:    had problem with front air shox sent back to rox shox they fixed it. going strong.

Bottom Line:
if you got the cash your in for a blast. this bike will do everthing you want it to do and more. this thing is a rocket

Favorite Trail:   daily ranch

Purchased At:   sun bike milpitas

Bike Setup:   full xt. monkey lite bars. carbon fiber stem.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Tracy, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    No BOB, Good Components, disk Brakes, Light ~27lbs
Loves to climb

Weaknesses:    1) Rims flex if you are >175lbs. You can only tell when you put 2.1 tires(Panaracer's) because they will rub frame! Have to stay with 2.0 tires with the stock rims. Or put Crossmax wheelset so that you can use 2.1 size tires.
2) Chain jump/Ghost shift - at first, can be fixed
Fix by streching cable-pull on it to quicken the stretch.
Once the cable is done streching the problem goes away.
Note, all new bikes go through this phase till the cable
is stretched!
Once replaced cog, the chain jump on that cog stopped.
3) Chain slap on bottom rail
Remove 2 links so that chain does not hit bottom rail
3) Seat is kinda hard. But could be due to me not using
shorts with cushion.
4) Pythons generally good on everything but can not peddle over wet roots or rocks, will just spin, so you have to go over those types of obsticles with momemtum.

5. After 700 miles you will notice that the cables
will rub the paint down! have to put those round
sticky felt stuff on cable and will stop the paint
removal

Bottom Line:
-Love the bike! it climbs without effort.
-Plan to purchase another for my wife
-Its light
-Fork, shock, tires all hold air pressures.
Tires might loose a little till you put in the Stan's goo
-Once the cable finished stretching & remove 2 chain links; the gost shifting will end.
-Python tires roll very fast, do not flat or puncture easy
would preffer a back tire with a little bit more knob
but all tire reveiew for Tubelss are horible. So will
stay with Python's till something better come a long.
Michelin® Comp S UST Tubeless & IRC have similar tred patterns that look a bit more agressive and would be an alternative. I read that the IRC works well but give a slight harsh ride due to harder carcass and very difficult to put on. Kenda Kharisma UST Tubeless rear tire looks like a good tred that would still roll fast- gets good review but is expensive.

Purchased At:   Pleasanton Bicycles, CA

Bike Setup:   178lb rider
1" rise Hell Bent Bars from TiTec
Lizard skin on bottom rail
12mm front fork sag 1.75 turns out rebound- best setting after trying 8mm-17mm
2mm Rear shock sag / 2.75 turns in Rebound - stops the back end from kicking and improves the plushness over small bumps - a must!
37psi tire pressure
Stan’s NoTubes Liquid Latex - Works great! No flats yet!
Have on order the remote fork lock out.

Submitted by Phil Abbiss a Cross Country Rider from WGTN NZ

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    This Bike is awesome, I had my reservations after riding a top Rocky Mt hardtail for years. I thought the uphill speed would be compromised to the extent of negating the downhill advantage. How wrong I was! I am 190 lbs and a fairly aggressive (ex MX) rider. I ride all single track and generally fairly technical. This bike has excelled in all terain in my area including rocky up and down, trees and roots up and down and a mixture of fast and slow. The geometry is fast enough for tight single track slalom but stable enough for fire road blasts. The suspension once set up to weight (I ride with the rear with no sag)is a beautiful thing, combined with the discs I am now jumping the last stutter bumps, roots etc into corners and then slamming, not possible on my old hardtail. I am having more FUN than ever and riding a bit quicker with less fatigue. Enough Said I think!!!

Weaknesses:    The rear shifting is a bit flighty (see all the previous reports re ghost shifting) but I have found that if I ride properly and don't try to crunch down gears under serious pedal load the gears change fine. If I do change underload they tend to ghost. I don't perceive this as a problem, just a lesson in correct riding technique! Discs tend to bind a wee bit in the mud but that I guess should be expected as crap fils up the callipers. Otherwise no weaknesses surfaced as yet. I have only riden 20hr+ and expect things may loosen up a bit soon!!

Bottom Line:
Great bike for x-county weekend warriors that like a bit of speed. Good enough to race up to sport level although a bit heavy for the real serious stuff (by a NRS air!)I am in love and look forward to every ride. If you are looking, take one for a test, you owe yourself that much.

Favorite Trail:   Leaping Lizard

Purchased At:   Penny Farthings

Similar Products Used:   FSR specialised tested

Submitted by Rick Twine a Cross Country Rider from Perth - Australia

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    Front end is still amazing. Have not had to adjust anything and feels planted. Brakes are strong. Rear suspension a great compromise. Mavic rims are unbreakable(I've tried). Atac pedals are quick/strong and don't care how much mud they fill up with. Frame is still rigid.

Weaknesses:    Still going through a drive train every 2-3 months, and have gone to steel chain rings,sram 7 cassette, and 105 for my road wheelset, for longevity. Rear Formula hub is shocking shocking shockingly cheap, bad, rubbish!! It failed three times in warranty & then one month out of warranty it failed again and Giant told me to go jump! Now replaced with XT with the bike shop pitching in - Thanks Cyclerama!! Saddle is hard.

Bottom Line:
This is an update on a review I did after having the bike for a short time. A bit more knowledge before buying would have gone a long way and I would have replaced all the cheapy bits with aftermarket & saved myself a long walk and some bucks. However I have now done about 11,000km and I love it. It is now set it up properly and can go just about anywhere. Might not be the fastest but it will get there. If it wasn't for Giant giving me every reason not to buy another one, I would. Sorry Giant but your warranty policies suck!

Favorite Trail:   Helena Valley south/anything steep rocky and uphill

Purchased At:   Cyclerama

Similar Products Used:   Nothing for any length of time

Bike Setup:   All XT shifters, deraileurs, and now rear hub. Riser bar. Specialised "Enduro" tyres.

Submitted by Edgar Poe a Racer from Castro Valley

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    once dialed, she shreds in every situation imaginable.
she has never once talked back to me.

Weaknesses:    hutchinson tires can suck in some wet conditions, but work well generally.

Bottom Line:
i am unbelievably happy with this bike. from the disc brakes, to the consistant performance from both shocks, this young lady was worth every penny i paid for her.

Favorite Trail:   secret singletrack

Purchased At:   eden-my local

Similar Products Used:   countless hardtails of every material but metal matrix and borylium

Bike Setup:   large xtr cranks. easton carbon bar. deore front deraileur.

Submitted by Brandon Baker a Racer from ashburnham Ma

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    Great handlin, no bobbing, tube-less tyrs

Weaknesses:    deore frt. derailer
Not the plushest ride if set-up for xc racing use(then again none are)

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal and a great no-hassle xc ride. You can ride it hard and put it away wet. It won't fail and can easily upgraded to be an even better racer/ trailbike.

Favorite Trail:   mid state/ leominster state forest

Purchased At:   O'neils bike shop

Similar Products Used:   sugar, fuel

Bike Setup:   tubeless wild. grippers to save weight after hutchinsons wore out, bar ends

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Northridge, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Strengths:    Hayes disc brakes rock!

Weaknesses:    Tubeless tires are killing me...

Bottom Line:
I like this bike a lot. There is no apparent bob when climbing, and it's fast climber. The brakes clamp up tight, and that's one thing I have to get use to. Overall, for a first bike, and compared to other friends' bikes, I really enjoy my ride.

One more thing - tubeless tires are killing me. I keep on punturing those suckers. My friends and I will go through similar terrain, and sometimes there will be some thorny stuff on the trail that will stick to the tires, but the tubed folks will be fine while I'll be there patching the $H!T up! Oh well, I still think it's a killer bike.

DISCLAIMER: I'm just beginning, and I know I have a lot to learn. Plus, I don't ride with any experienced riders, and the group I ride with is just having fun trying to figure this whole sport out. Also, I apologize for not using any technical biking terms.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Doctor

Similar Products Used:   First bike - just started biking Aug '02

Submitted by MC a Weekend Warrior from Madison, MS

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, No Bob, good stock components(except F Derail), Tubeless, suspension tuning

Weaknesses:    Front Derail

Bottom Line:
Great climber...very nearly like a hardtail. Takes some time to get suspension tuned but worth it! No mechanical problems at all. Would have preferred a little better stock front deraileur. A little sceptical about tubeless but they have been great...can run much lower pressure for better grip and feel. Highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Submitted by Scott Chilcote from Cary, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    (Already Covered in Detail)

Weaknesses:    Integrated headset. What have bike manufacturers been smoking lately? Have your shop the standard headset adapters and put in a King.

Bottom Line:
Just a follow-on note for those who have been having the ghost-shifting problem. Please refer to the News posting for 01/03 on www.angryasian.com.

According to this News posting, the problem with ghost shifting is due to the fact that the 2002 NRS frame has a small amount of flex in the right seatstay during hard pedaling uphill. Since the rear derailleur cable is routed through stops at either end of this seatstay, and it takes a very small amount of cable motion to shift Shimano 9-speed SIS, this allows ghost shifting.

The recommended fix is to remove the rear derailleur cable from the stops in the seatstay, and use a single piece of cable housing starting from the end of the top tube all the way to the rear derailleur. Attach the cable housing to the seat stay using zip ties.

Just FYI. Apologies for making this a review, but it seemed like the most general location here.

Purchased At:   All Star Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Fuel and Sugar.

Submitted by john bakke a Cross Country Rider from siloam springs

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is super fast and climbs super solid. Most of the components are great. The yellow paint job also adds a litte flare.

Weaknesses:    It took me and my shop an entire month of figureing out why it would ghost shift like all hell on steep climbs. It was not the bottom bracket or either of the derailers. Turns out it was the terrible shimano chain which only lasted about 150 miles. The tires are definately not intended for anything other than solid conditions. This is my first set of tubeless and they are great as long as im running a tubeless sealant to keep the thorns out. Im guaranteed a thorn flat per ride without it. LX has got to go. This is still a great bike.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike. Im sure in 03 many of the problem have been resolved with the now infamouse ghost shifftin problem. I think was something to do with the wrong bottom bracket on the ealier models. Find a good set of wet conditions tires if you need, swap out the LX in the front and this baby will keep you smiling all day.

Favorite Trail:   california 59

Purchased At:   lewis and clark outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Fuel 90
specialized fsr comp

Bike Setup:   whipperman conexx chain
lp carbon barends
everything else is stock but not for much longer. Old xtr front and back will make this bike top notch. New xtr if you can afford it.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Lake Geneva, WI

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Light frame
Front Fork (SID SL)
Hayes Brakes
Awesome looks! (people approach me asking about the bike all the time - it's an ego trip)

Weaknesses:    Rear Rock Shox Shock loses air in negative chamber
Race Face Bottom Bracket shot after 6 months of riding
Tires are terrible in wet and mud
Ghost Shifting

Bottom Line:
Overall I love this bike. I can conquer hills I could only get half way up before with my hardtail. I have also increased my average speed by 1.5 mph around my favorite single track.

Like many others I am dissapointed with some of the components: Namely the Rock Shox rear shock losing air in the negative chamber and the poor quality Race Face Bottom Bracket. These are currently being fixed by the great techs at my LBS. They are also working on the ghost shifting corrections suggested by the reviewers below.

Overall I love this bike. I simply feel Giant should have placed some higher quality components on a $2000 + bike.

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Bike Setup:   SPD Pedals
Serfas Seat
Serfas Grips
HellBent Handle Bars (Well worth the money)

Submitted by Stinky Pete a Cross Country Rider from Northern Virginia

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Strengths:    Durable Frame
Strong Components
Light
Great in all conditions - hard pack, mud, sand, snow, water, rocks, fast downhill, grinding uphill.
The bike is better than I am.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain goes out of allignment easily
SID's front shock died.
Chainsuck issues
Bottom Bracket

Bottom Line:
**FINAL REVIEW**
I have a love-hate relationship with my bike. When all is working as it should, I love it. Thankfully, this is the way it is most of the time. When it is not working as it should, and this happens enough to be annoying, I hate it. BIGGEST ISSUES -
DRIVETRAIN-GHOST SHIFITING - Just when I think I have this problem licked, it comes back at the worst times. I can spend an hour with the bike on the rack adjusting it so the drivetrain is perfect, but when I get on the trail, boom, it is not the same. Removing a link in the chain really helped, but I think it is a design flaw on Giant's part. Hopefully it will be fixed in future models.

SID FORK DIED RECENTLY - I ride hard, several days a week, all year round, but a fork should not die in less than a year. The SID lost its ability to rebound, and bottomed out badly. The fork went back to Rock Shox, and after a giant pain in the ass dealing with the bike shop and the manufacturer that cost me about a month of prime riding time, I got a replacement from Rock Shox. They did the right thing and I am really happy about it.

BOTTOM BRACKET - Developed a great deal of play after 6 months and was replaced. Again, this should not happen on a 6 month old bike that is well maintained.

WHAT DID I LIKE?
HAYES BRAKES - They just plain kick ass! They worked as advertised. Once you learn to bleed them without making a mess, and you learn to reseat the pistons when necessary, they are easy brakes to deal with. Much better than any non-disk brake.

UST SYSTEM - The Mavic Rims, XT Hubs, and Hutch Pythons were great. I still have my front tire (after a hard year of riding and a few races, including a 24 Hour funfest at Snowshoe. I replaced the rear after the sidewall ripped with a Wildgripper, and I have found that the tire is also excellent. Very good in loose conditions.

SUSPENSION SYSTEM - At first, I was jealous of my friends with their PLUSH riding bikes, but I soon became very attached to the ride of the NRS. I set it up so that it is slightly plusher than is reccomended, but it still retains most of its no-bob characteristics. I can clime just about anything using any line I please (or any line I am forced into). I can haul down the biggest hills without worrying about ruts in the trail. I can launch over nice jumps without fear. I can take just about any log pile in the woods.

THE BOTTOM LINE - When everthing is running well, you can't beat the bike. It is a great value and a whole lot of fun to ride. The pesky annoyances will cost only one chili.

Favorite Trail:   you name em, I love em