Giant Warp DS 3 2002 Full Suspension

4.37/5 (49 Reviews)

Submitted by Josh Cross a Weekend Warrior from Muskegon, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2005

Strengths:    Price, style, nice 2.4" wide tires, amazing bike for beginner

Weaknesses:    It's not a '05 STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP DISC 100, and if it was i'd ride it more

Bottom Line:
I have really enjoyed riding this bike. It has brought back my love for trail ridin' that i had when i was yonger. This bike made me realize the thechnology that has gone into bikes in the past 10 years is tremendous. This bike takes me places I coulod have only dreamed of when I was riding my huffy back in middle school. If I like this bike so much I can only imagine how much more I will enjoy my STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP DISC 100 whenever I get it.

Favorite Trail:   Burchfield

Similar Products Used:   Royce Union F/S, Motobecane F/S

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Abar a Cross Country Rider from Puyallup, Wa

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    rear shock is impressive for what it is the rebound adj. really works. It's surprisingly fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    none for the price

Bottom Line:
I am using this as my winter bike, so i won't thrash my drive train on my Turner. saved some dough by using the same wheelset for both bikes. I rode the giant before and after the upgrades, what a dirrerence 6 pounds makes. This bike is very impressive it loves to be railed around corners and eats up everything in its way. I ride mostly tight rooty singltrack and this bike loves it. I am almost embarrassed to say that this bikes performance comes close to the turner (a $5000.00 bike) WOW!! I will post another review next year to see if the mud has taken a toll on the frames shock and pivots.

Favorite Trail:   Sun Top

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Similar Products Used:   Turner XCE

Bike Setup:   manitou comp 100/120, LX cranks, spinergy Xcyclone disc wheels, avid mechanical disc brakes, terry fly seat, panaracer fire xc k. tires, (cassette,bar, shifters brake levers are stock)roughly 28 lbs.

Submitted by Cody a Downhiller from Boulder City, Nevada

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Rear Shock.Brakes are good.

Weaknesses:    sr suntour forks suck! wheels suck,I crumpled the rear wheel on a jump and decided to get better rims and go to disk.Saddle hurts my ass.pedals are sh*t.

Bottom Line:
This bike is pretty well rounded except for a couple of parts that can easily be changed.I really enjoy this bike and its not to bad going down bootleg.I would definetly recommend this bike if you want a reasonably cheap bike for trail riding or even a little downhilling if you're stupid like me.

Favorite Trail:   bootleg canyon

Purchased At:   Bike World

Bike Setup:   Sun Rhyno Lite rims with Shimano Deore disc hubs.avid cps disk brakes with 8" rotors.rock shox pilot sl.

Submitted by Paul Marchetti (mar-ket-ee) a Weekend Warrior from Fortuna, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Frame has held up to my serious abuse. I have maxed out the rear shock many many times but still keeps on truckn'.

Weaknesses:    Suntour forks suck A$$, had to replace with Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III. Crankset and bottom bracket went bad after sevral months. Replaces with Race Face Prodigy

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. I spent less building my bike and getting better components than the DS-1

Favorite Trail:   Carson Woods

Purchased At:   Sport & Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Costco boat anchor!

Bike Setup:   Dirt Jumper III front shocks(kicks a$$), Race Face Prodigy XC(kicks a$$), Avid discs(kicks a$$,)Mavic rims & Deore hubs(kick a$$ combo)

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from NH

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    Decent components and a pretty durable frame

Weaknesses:    The suspension could be alot better

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike, it i got alot of new parts for it but overall i think this is a really good beginer bike. So far its held up pretty well despite a broken durailer and durailer hanger and a few popped tires. If your just getting into mountain biking i strongley suggest this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Attitash

Purchased At:   Tony`s Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Warp Ds1

Bike Setup:   Bomber dj3 front suspension, michillen hot s rear tire and a hutchinson python front tire, mavic rims and front disk brakes.

Submitted by Rick Masters a Weekend Warrior from Latrobe, PA 15650

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    The price, style, ride, ease of pedaling. I think it is a good looking bike.

Weaknesses:    Forks, the water botle location is nuts but I don't know where else to put it. We will see about the pedals They seem to squeek.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I am 47 years old 6' and weighed 240 lbs last month. My last bike was a huffy 18 speed which sat under my porch untouched for the last 10 years while I sat on the couch and drank beer. So I started riding the huffy and enjoyed riding but that bike sucked. I wanted a comfortable bike so I went with f/s.
I went for my first ride through the woods with my buddies last night and decided I am not ready for that kind of riding yet so I am mainly going to just ride on back roads till I build up my stanima. So far in the past month I have dropped 22 lbs. My goal is < 200 lbs and I think this bike will help me reach it. It is a dream to ride. I do think I am going to get better forks but I figured that when I bought it. I am a big boy :-) My friend sugested this bike to me and I would recomend it to any one also.

Favorite Trail:   none yet

Purchased At:   Speedgoat Laughlintown, PA

Similar Products Used:   None only other bike was a 1987 Huffy Mt Storm

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Mike H. a Weekend Warrior from Palm Springs, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    Rear suspension, grippy tires, fast downhill, decent weight, strong rims.

Weaknesses:    my frame broke at the shock mounts aftre taking it off a 5 foot drop....a few times. Took 3 weeks for a new frame to come in. Seat is too hard, and shifting constantly has to be tuned.

Bottom Line:
good bike, i have lots of fun on it, but easily comes out of tune. Frame could be stronger....but then again, i shouldnt abuse it :-/ cant do better for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Buena Park Cyclery

Bike Setup:   SPD pedals, gel seat

Submitted by ian salsbury a Cross Country Rider from spokane WA USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Strengths:    very good for cross country and bumpy trails

Weaknesses:    a little heavy but not that bad. rear shock a little tight.

Bottom Line:
this bike is the best you could get for this price range and if you are a beginner this bike is absolutely perfect.
i would recomend this bike over the giant warp DS3.if you are really a hardcore rider i wouldn't get it because the opponents aren't that spectacular.

Favorite Trail:   beacon hill

Purchased At:   wheel sport

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz blur

Bike Setup:   mountain mix

Submitted by tim a Cross Country Rider from los angeles

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Strengths:    Value and price! Components hold up well, the bike can take a beating. I loved how the bike acted on the downhills.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Components are crap (but they work decently for a while), I didn't like the rear suspension. The fork really wasn't as bad as I expected but it still counts as a weakness. Saddle hurt my ass. Stock tires are too big unless you're in serious mud or doing only downhill, in which case they rock.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an incredible value, Giant seems to be very good at coming up with economical bikes. Just get new tires for the bike, I put on a pair of Panaracer's and they made an incredible difference, I was suddenly able to do hills that had stopped me before.

The weaknesses I mentioned are totally acceptable for a bike that costs this little. Just the FRAME for my new bike (a superlight, which is considered a more "value" oriented bike) cost more than twice that of the COMPLETE Warp. Ouch.

That said, however, I think if you have serious trails around you and if you really get into mountain biking you'll want something better than the Warp. Especially if you do a lot of climbing and cross-country stuff. Yes I was able to do the same trails as everybody else with my Warp, but with my new bike I'm able to do more and I am less tired at the end. Which makes the whole thing more fun.

5 chilis for value, I can't imagine a better value for a bike. You get more than what you pay for.

3 chilis overall ... not a bad bike at all, just not that great of a bike either.

Favorite Trail:   malibu state park trails

Purchased At:   nyc bike store when I lived there

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Superlight

Bike Setup:   Put on SPD pedals, Koobi SI saddle, and Panaracer XC Fire Pro tires. NEW TIRES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, THEY MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE

Submitted by mark shiels a Cross Country Rider from kamloops, B.C.

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    good shifters, very ergonomic, sticky tires, great price, I paid about $750 canadian. 20.5 frame is great for big guys like me. Handles everything i can dish out, havn't taken any thing bigger than a 4 ft drop but soon as i get enough nerve.

Weaknesses:    front fork in cold weather, I'm 6'4",220 lbs and easily bottom out the suspension.

Bottom Line:
if your just starting out like me, i'ts probably the best bang for the buck. It can be a perfect bike with some small upgrades.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   gears n grills Cambridge, Ont

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   mainly stock, body geometry seat, soon to have platform pedals and lizard skins on the bars, chain protector is a must.

Submitted by Joshua Picken a Downhiller from Adelaide Australia

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Strong Frame, big ass tires, Lightweight

Weaknesses:    front shox (sun tour) not much chop
Derailurs could be beter, Chain clanks are so bad on down hill runs and starting to do damage im geting a chainstay guard asap.

Bottom Line:
This bike is excellent value, its shox could a lote better but for the price who gives a.
My baby flys down the hills its so fun to ride and the girls love it.

Favorite Trail:   portwillunga to maslins

Purchased At:   Super Elliotts

Bike Setup:   stock hope to have Manitou Black or Marzocchi bombers very soon.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Hampton, VA - USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    Beefy tires
Takes hard hits well
tires get unreal grip (makes it hard it kick the back out in a slide)
the shifters work sweet (you dont have to hold it in the gear just click and go)
Great rear shock (you can make town car smooth, or sports car stiff)
A bit heavy but still light for it components
Climbs hills great

Weaknesses:    Tires might be a bit to beefy, makes you work more to peddle
Front shock - i read the reviews and it does not begian to discribe how weak it is. I'm 6'3" 200lbs - i constantly bottom out the front shock, also makes it hard to stick in corners because it absorbs the energy to go into the turn
Seat is rock hard. After a few weeks of riding it still makes me sore

Bottom Line:
If you adjust the the back shock properly, replace the front fork and get a softer seat, this bike kicks @$$

Purchased At:   HDK Schwein, Newport News VA

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4900 alpha

Bike Setup:   Stock yellow 20.5" frame, but will soon upgrade fork to RS Duke race, and disk brakes.

Submitted by RJ a Downhiller from Laguna,California

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Strengths:    frame is tough

Weaknesses:    Suspension,Front and rear suck really hard. Components stink. wheels bent first ride

Bottom Line:
This bike sucks. Second day riding I bley out rear shock. third day, front forks. You'd think with 5in of travel it would be able to handle 2ft jumps, but no. if you plan on doing anything more than looking at possies and dandilions. Don't get this bike, but the psylos are awesome

Favorite Trail:   anything with monster jumps

Purchased At:   cycle werks

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension but tried trek downhill and gary fisher downhill

Bike Setup:   psylos xc

Submitted by Jordan Harmer a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, California

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great bike for the price, i love the back shock, it has compression and rebound damping control, looks cool, fork makes a cool pffft sound - not important i know but its cool anyway so dont give me a bunch of crap about it

Weaknesses:    ok derailleurs you sometimes have to push the shifters a liiitttle farther than the gear that is showing

Bottom Line:
good bike for the money, i live in a place where there's kind of a lot of hills, so not that great for that

Favorite Trail:   everything dirty