Giant Warp DS 2 2002 Full Suspension

4.15/5 (26 Reviews)

Submitted by Cameron Conquer from Toronto Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    IT WILL TAKE A WHOLE LOT OF $**T. I'm a ammy mountain biker, and I have done a whole hell of a lot of stupid things on this bike... and crashed a lot too. It just takes the crap and keeps going.

Weaknesses:    I bought this bike from someone up in the Thunderbay area, and he upgraded all of the week points. It was used though, so I had to repair and replace a couple parts.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awsome. It isn't the best bike I've ever riden on, but for sure it isn't the worse. Its great for free ridn', drops, jumps, etc. It is a perfect bike for someone who wants to get into the sport of mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Trent University :D

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   none.

Submitted by e dawg armdile a Downhiller from kingstion, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2006

Strengths:    it is sweet dizle.great suspension, liht frame . andybody who wants a great bike for a great price should definetly buy this bike. Warp ds2. peace out

Weaknesses:    gears are bad!!!

Bottom Line:
frackin awesome. the best bike evahhhh

Favorite Trail:   fort henry

Purchased At:   b and d cycle

Similar Products Used:   a bi pink and yellow bike from super cycle LAWLZ

Bike Setup:   tir frime tire (>')> KIRBY!!!

Submitted by bahamut a Weekend Warrior from new york

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Ridonkulous frame...great for tossing the stock components and upgrading (keep the tires tho...they rock!). After beating up, breaking, snapping, and/or bending the components for 2+ years, theres only ever been a few scratches on the frame itself.

Weaknesses:    Components are ok (tho I'm partial to the numbers actually being shown on the shifters). Toss the Judy ASAP. IT IS CRAP. And like the post below said, whats up with the seatpost? 30.8, wtf.

Bottom Line:
Buy it for the frame, its bulletproof. No really, I used it for target practice. (jk) Excellent beginners bike for a really good price. Definitely worthy of upgrading (because some of the stock components are pretty dodgy). I'm finally writing this review because I'll probably be upgrading to a new bike next season...but the bottom line is that the Warps been a damn good ride.

Favorite Trail:   patriots, hartshorne, mahlon

Bike Setup:   Black Elite, Bontrager saddle, M545 clipless, Avid mech discs, ODI grips, XT disc w/Rhyno Lites, stock everything else.

Submitted by Jay a Downhiller from Vermont

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    Very smooth ride. Giant HV Rear Coil shock exceeds all expectations! Excellent frame with great upgradability, except for ridiculous 30.8 seatpost diam. (show me an aftermarket seatpost in that diameter, i dare u) Very low maintenance full suspension design, minimal pedal bob with proper technique/tuning, Integrated headset made me jittery at first, but after using for 1 year, no problems and very very clean! Oh yeah, cool Orange color too.

Weaknesses:    Rims have to be trued every ride unless you stick to the pavement. Seatpost diameter seems to be unique to this frame??? Tektro linear brakes lead you to believe you can stop the bike, but good luck if you go downhill for more than a few vertical feet! RS Judy xc air is a poor excuse for a fork. I've done many unplanned otb maneuvers thanx to this piece of incredibly shoddy engineering.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a SWEET buy for the $$$. Easy to upgrade (except for the seatpost.) Comes with pretty crappy parts overall, but well worth it for the frame alone, especially if you are new to mtb. The rear linkage is a single pivot and has absolutely NO side-flex! Very reliable, smooth ride, and begs for more speed on almost any trail. Some people think I'm crazy for regularly riding up 4000 vertical ft on this bike (chairlifts are for wimps), cuz it's definitely not the lightest full suspension out there, but from what I can tell so far Weight = big muscles and reliability. You will want to upgrade the fork and wheelset (unless you have a spoke wrench fetish) almost immediately, but the rest of the parts will work for at least a year under heavy stress. Add upgrades and it only gets better: my friends with their Iron Horses, and Konas, and Specailizeds are starting to ask me to switch bikes for a day...

Favorite Trail:   Rock Garden

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse SGS, Specialized FSR, Jamis Dakar, K2 5500, Proflex Beast!

Bike Setup:   xtdisc/rhynolite w/Tioga black turtle(2.2) rear, Motoraptor (2.4) front tires, Avid 7" mechanical disc brakes w/full metal jacket cables (no friction, fer real!!!!), 2" Profile Riserbar, Koski 4bolt stem, stock drivetrain/shifters (works ok, upgrading to XT/LX)

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Apple Valley, MN

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    Solid, Light weight, Good Suspension travel

Weaknesses:    Seat, Water bottle placement

Bottom Line:
I was going on a trip to Glacier National Park and needed a good all around bike. I got an unbelieveable deal on it and am very happy with my purchase so far. Most of my friends are jealous and they have decent bikes. I am not sure about the other peoples problems with it? Jumping it of a 2 story building and expecting not to break, Come on!! Anyways If you are looking for a great overall bike and have a chance to ride this one I am sure you will like it to!! I dare you to find a better F/S bike with the same quality for the price. Thnaks for making a great bike Giant!!

Favorite Trail:   The Gladiator

Purchased At:   Valley Bike and Ski

Similar Products Used:   1995 Giant F/S Touring, 1998 Stump Jumper, 2002 Rock hopper hardtail, 2000 Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the Serfas RX seat and Cat Eye velo 2 Computer.

Submitted by Robert Brown a Weekend Warrior from Mechanicsville, VA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is unstoppable. I am 230lbs and I like to ride hard and drop 3-5 feet and aside from the fork popping a gasket (I put my old X-vert and have had no problems) the frame is great. No lateral flex at all. If you are haveing lateral flex (side to side) take it back to where you got it and get the frame replaced. Also the tires are great for everything I like and terrible for the long level rides which I hate.

Weaknesses:    The Judy air fork, the shifters, and the Tektro V-brakes. The stem and cranks are strong but very heavy. I replaced the brakes with my old diacomp parallel push V's (Knock off of XT or XTR) and now it stops on a dime. If you are going to drop get rid of the fork.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike to abuse it takes a beating and with the exception of the fork (can you tell I hate the fork? It really hurts when your shock blows on landing off a 5 foot drop) I have beat the hell out of this bike and it has kept me going. I have had a few pinch flats and the tubes that came with the bike were 1.95 tubes which is strange since it came with 2.4 tires. The dealer replaced the tubes when I brought it to their attention since they know what kind of rider I am. I say if you are a hucker on a budget, just have better things to do with your money, or you are like me and your wife would kill you for buying a $3000 bike, this is the bike for you. Do not buy this bike if you are a weight weenie and want a cross country racer because if you do you will be laughed at.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali in NC

Purchased At:   Performance Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   SC heckler, and GT I-drive. Both very nice but cost 3 times as much and not that much more fun. I have a friend with a new Spider VPP and it is great and he kills me up the hills but I still kick his A** on the way down.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock just the addition of a 2000 X-vert fork, Dia Comp Parrallel push brakes, XT shifter/lever set, and Scott clipless pedels. For long level rides (which I Hate and my wife loves) I swap out the tires for WTB semislicks.

Submitted by Toby a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2003

Strengths:    Frame and Value.

Weaknesses:    The component set on this bike is what you'd expect for the price.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike. I had a great year with all the stock components. But this past winter I took this thing apart and upgraded nearly everything. With the new LX components this bike rocks. The stock crankset is HEAVY, DAMN HEAVY. This bike felt twice as light once i replaced it. The stock brakes kinda scared me when I really got moving but the new LX stops it cold. But i gotta say this bike never let me down last year. Nothing broke, it stode up to what I threw at it. So, i would recommend this bike to people getting into riding and as you get the cash upgrade the components, you won't be disappointed!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Good 'nuff

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   I replace the whole drivetrain with LX 9 speed components. I also replaced the brakes with LX V Brakes.

Submitted by John Ram a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    The stock tires are fat 2.4 which makes sand easier to ride. Shimmano Deore rear derailer works excellent. The bike is very nimble and easy to manuver through technical areas.

Weaknesses:    Broke 8th gear on the cassett, brakes could be stronger but work alright. Rear derailler chatters a lot over jumps or rockie areas. Rear suspension sags a lot when pedaling.

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth the low price tag and will enable you to keep with more expensive set-ups but, for a little more money you can bur an NRS which is supperior.

Favorite Trail:   Alququerqur Foolhills

Purchased At:   Bike City

Similar Products Used:   Old Specialized Rockhopper hard nose and tail... fun

Bike Setup:   stock except Shimmano spd clip-on pedals.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    Fun, cheap, good interim bike while I work out what to get next.

Weaknesses:    None so far, perhaps the weight and rear suspension bob, but all this means is that I will get fitter due to the extra weight and will need to focus on correct pedalling technique to minimise bob.

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike up as a frame, headset, seatpost/clamp, and front derailleur for $100 aussie, around $50US, so didn't expect too much from it. Took it out for a total thrashing last night and it stood up to it beautifully, especially considering I weight around 240lb. Sure, it is a little heavy and bouncy, but it ripped down some wicked hills, down steps, and took 2 - 3 foot drop off's with ease. I'll post again once I have had it for longer - A cheap bike is excellent for testing because you don't really care what happens to it!!

Oh, and the frame flex that somebody else mentioned below - HUH? The frame didn't flex at all for me, and I weigh a fair bit!!

Purchased At:   Privately

Similar Products Used:   FSR, Kona Sex One, Scott Team Issue, Super V 900, Giant NRS-2, various others . . .

Bike Setup:   Magura Discs, Judy SL fork, XT componentry, risers etc...

Submitted by brad from burbank, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Strengths:    Strong. Sfifts well. Nice full suspension design, multi-adjustable suspension. some good components. Upgradable.

Weaknesses:    cheap shifters(cut my finger) Cheap grips slipped the first ride.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the bike. I like to ride cross country and take some jumps, drops and down hills and the bike eats it all up. I wiegh 170 and the suspension feels pretty good. excellent entry into full suspension and with some upgrades over time will become pretty good bike.

Favorite Trail:   Debell (stough), Burbank Ca.

Purchased At:   IMartin Imports, Los Angeles

Similar Products Used:   1997 cannondale super V., raliegh M80

Bike Setup:   MTB Grips, Cannondale mini bar ends

Submitted by Mr Ripper a Weekend Warrior from Palm Springs Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Price of bike

Weaknesses:    Has big time frame flex around the seatpost area,heavy,chainstay slap,hard to tune the gears.Hard to put on car rack ,do to odd frame design.

Bottom Line:
The main problem with this bike is the frame flex.You can push on side of the seat and move the frame a inch either way, with just light force.I see Giant has a all new frame on 03 DS2.This might fix this frame problem.

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Bike Setup:   All OEM but new riser handlebar and WTB seat,PanaracerXC Pro tires.

Submitted by George Biddlecombe a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, adjustability, balance and strength.

Weaknesses:    Pringled the rear wheel on my 6th weekend ride on it. Factory spring was 600lbs rated... too light. Had to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
I first rode the DS3 at the bottom of a trail ride I had just given up on... the guy riding it had passed me on his way down with the following advice, as I was pushing my 10 year old steel framed P.O.S. up. "It doesnt have a leash, ride it". I liked it right away and was amazed at the value. I have since learned that the judy forks must be run at their max 50psi (for my fat a--) and heard something about heavier oil. I will most likely replace this bike with something lighter in the future but for now I'm enjoying getting into the sport, and exploring my personal limits. "Ride hard, Take Chances"

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River Trail

Purchased At:   Carson Cycles, Carson CA

Similar Products Used:   none. first real mtn bike

Bike Setup:   Factory except for 850lb rated rear spring. took care of most of the bob. Oh and the custom pringle shaped rear wheel. Picking up shimano deore / sun rhynolite disk compatable wheelset tomorrow.

Submitted by Thomas Gaines from Louisville, KY USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    This is an addendum to my previous review. Before this week, I considered the strength of this bike to be in the frame. It was thought to be bomb proof. Well I broke the damn thing the other day. It cracked at the swing arm, broke in half. However, the frame is also week, which I can tell by the paint chips.

Weaknesses:    Not as strong a frame as I thought.

Bottom Line:
Good value for the money. Giant has been nice about the warranty. I believe they will offer a new frame, which they should because it is warranted for 5 years. I will find out soon. Either way, I got my money's worth out of it, since I have riden it for almost 3 years now.

Favorite Trail:   Cherokee park

Purchased At:   Highland Psycho

Similar Products Used:   Not much like it, in a heavy-duty entry-level full suspension.

Submitted by Wes Burdulis a Weekend Warrior from North Bend, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Duribility,warrenty,adaptible to many parts,price$$

Weaknesses:    lack of back travel,not good for hard riding

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that my DS 2 has been great and I recomend it to someone who who wants to have a great time mountin biking some intermediate terain. I do not recomend this bike to a hardcore rider.

Favorite Trail:   Home-made trail

Purchased At:   Cycle Path

Bike Setup:   hayes mechanical disks,super T's,red frame, 3 inch tires, 24 speeds,

Submitted by Jeff B. a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ. USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    The Judy Rock Shox are good as well as the the Deore components are every bit as good as your XT. It shifts smoothly and on the fly. The tires totally KICK ASS.

Weaknesses:    The seat Sucks!! Too hard!

Bottom Line:
This bike has avery strong frame, good shifting and is worthy of any downhill based upon strength that you can throw at it. The shifters could be upgraded beyond the standard Alivio (Shimano) but they shift just fine. If you are extreme, then there is some component upgrade potential. For those of you complaining about the weight...Get over it! Didn't you lift up the bike when you bought it or did you just figure out that your legs aren't capable of supporting the extra 7lbs that you get from the cannondale. For the price.... This is a GREAT buy!

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Trail (Red Mountain)

Purchased At:   Bike Source