Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ 2002 Full Suspension

4.58/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by Javier a Cross Country Rider from España

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2005

Strengths:    Rodar rapido, poca oscilación, calidad acabado, hechas a mano.

Weaknesses:    No se pueden poner las nuevas bielas con ejes integrados

Bottom Line:
Estoy encantado con mi sugar que no pienso cambiar por nada. Es un cuadro sugar 4+ montado a la carta con piezas como bielas Roox, shimano XT, duke , bontrager select Mavic coss ride etc. Pesa 11.8 KG. No tiene nada que ver con la sugar 4 que se vende ya que vale casis 100 euros mas, pero es ligera y el cuadro ZR900 es el mismo que el sugar2,pero algo mas varato por el amortiguador( me "ahorré" 400 euros.) Si pones un amortiguador de los del 2006 en adelante de fox es como llevar una bici rigida que absorbe muy bien impactos.
NO SE PUEDEN PONER BIELAS XT ETC QUE LLEVEN EL EJE PEDALIER INTEGRADO.Pegan las vainas traseras en las tuercas o cazoletas.

Purchased At:   Many shops

Bike Setup:   Sugar

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2004

Strengths:    Great Geometry, good for steep climbs. Fork is very plush and soaks up all bumps. Color is awesome. I got it cheap cuz i work at trek :).

Weaknesses:    Chain line! My god, that's why this bike has bad chain suck. The chain line is really bad. In the 2/1 gear, the chain looks like its gonna get pulled off the crank, but the good thing is there are ways to make it better. Also, the ways the cables are routed, it tends to scruff up the finish on the bike. Slight knock in the fork on high travel, but hardly noticable.

Bottom Line:
Overall, very nice ride after some new parts, the generic promax had to go. And the new crank and derrailleur helped the chain suck out. Im not sure if id buy it if i had to spend over 600 on it tho. Bike is a bit heavy for my taste, but that can be changed.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mounds

Purchased At:   Trek employee

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palomino, Trek Fuel 90

Bike Setup:   Swaped some parts out. XT rear derrailluer, LX crankset, avid sd3 brakes, Bontrager select disc wheels with Klein deathgrip tires

Submitted by Bryce a Cross Country Rider from Springville UT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    Great Bike Beautiful. Nice for the price, Nice Geometry and climbing works. Built well, nice color to it. Black is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Some of the parts on it are cheap. Had problems with chain suck, and my crankset. Promax breaks? Good derailleurs and fork.

Bottom Line:
Its a nice bike. It has a lot of good parts on it, but not the lightest of the bunch. Climbs hills well and is fun to take off jumps. Could of put some better brakes on though.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:    Wasatch Touring

Bike Setup:   Fisher with lots of STYLE

Submitted by Bert a Cross Country Rider from Bronx, New York

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Frame Geo, Sybill linkage, paint color (looooove Black!),

Weaknesses:    chainsuck, minor shifting problems.

Bottom Line:
Although I've had some good bikes in the past, I have to say that this bike is awesome!!!! It's perfect for someone who wants to get more serious about trail riding and X-country. I used to have the rear suspension set up on the 2.8" setting, but I found it to function a little too much like a hardtail (which is a plus if you're a hardtail rider looking to get into full suspension), so I switched it to the 4" setting and I've been happy ever since! Don't let the chain suck and shifting problems deter you from getting this bike, you'll lose out on a great deal and otherwise great performing bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge Park

Purchased At:   Westchester Bike Pro Shop

Similar Products Used:   giant nrs, jamis dakar pro, Gt I-drive.

Bike Setup:   I've upgraded the v-brakes, crank and bottom bracket to xtr, the shifters to '02 xt's, selle italia SLR saddle, sun ringle RPM wheels, Carbon fiber brake booster for the rear brake, and Kenda Lite inner tubes.

Submitted by Samuel Osee a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    This bike can climb almost any trails...I just came back from riding on Big Summit (Big Bear MT)...the lift was not in operation so I had to ride it backward...climbing from the bottom of the mountain....it took me some time to get used to shifting and peddaling to achieve the optimal level of this bike's ability, but when I finally learned to push this bike to it's limits I was blown away by the performance.

Weaknesses:    Stock parts need some upgrade...but still not bad for the price. I did experience some ghost-shifting when I first purchased this bike (read reviews before purchase)...however, I think it's more on my part of shifting at wrong places and timing....not a problem anymore.

Bottom Line:
Do not be discouraged by some of the reviews about chainsuck and ghost-shifting problems....this bike will blow away any bikes in its category and price range!! I don't think anyone would challenge this statement. If you are a xc rider and want something for all around bike, this bike will out perform your expectations. There are some shortcomings such as chainsuck/ghost-shifting issues but nothing you can't handle with some regular maintenance and timed shifting...I am definately recommending this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Big Summit

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Comp, Giant Warp

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock with minor upgrades....seats and brakes....shimano xtr

Submitted by Pat a Downhiller from Framingham, MA USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    The brakes arent that bad, even when when they are wet
I love the fork, not "bouncy" at all

Weaknesses:    havent found one yet

Bottom Line:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A DREAM IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AN ORGASIM IN THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A GREAT NIGHT WITH YOUR GIRL IN THE MUD!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   this fun one covered in snow in callahan state park

Purchased At:   Bicycle Alley

Similar Products Used:   **cough**

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Pat a Weekend Warrior from Framingham,MA USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Strengths:    I love the cane creek ad 5 rear shock
The front Manitou fork is really nice!!
YA GO BIKE!!!

Weaknesses:    Promax brakes?!?! It couldnt sound any more generic.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE TO RIDE THIS THING!
I have never felt so safe and comfortable when rifing down a bumpy incline.
It almost feels as if the bike molds around you when you ride.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Alley

Similar Products Used:   too ashamed to tell, first good bike every purchused

Bike Setup:   just bought it and havent changed any components

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    The name, adjustability, frame, good climber

Weaknesses:    Cheap brakes, seat

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great way to build up to the $3,000+ level. You have the same frame (minus the carbon swingarm) that the Sugar 1 has. The front shock has more adjustability than I ever would need. The rear shock has the great feature of going from 2.8" to 4.1", I love it. I have read the reviews about chain suck and ghost shifts, but I have a theory about it: inexperience. It happened twice to me and both times it was my own fault. One time I had the chain on the small cog and the small chainring riding up an incline, chain suck resulted. The next time it was the middle chainring and I shifted to the largest rear cog, ghost shift to the small chainring. Anytime you have the chain twisted something is going to give. Its a great buy right now, so don't hesitate and don't get your chain twisted. I had my other Gary Fisher for 12 years and I still ride it to work, I plan on holding on to this one for the next 10 and upgrade it over time. Recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Red Rock

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Advance (1990), Cannondale Super-V

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a pair of bar ends, XT front and rear derailleurs and a Cat Eye computer

Submitted by Duncan a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    Good climber and fast downhill. Rolls along well with little friction - just feels very smooth.

Weaknesses:    Drive train & shifting issues.

Bottom Line:
My first bike - I wanted FS with some level of upgrade-ability. Didn't check the reviews out, nor this web site, but having read the postings I can concur with most of them.
My problems have been similar to others: phantom shifts, the chain popping off when going from the middle ring to the smaller. The middle ring was bent, so it got changed. The bottom bracket was replaced, as was the rear cassette - and the bike now shifts really well.
The rear derailleur bracket gets bent frequently so the guys at the shop re-align it (my fault 'cos I fall off too much). Overall though, I love the bike. Find a good LSB for the tweaking required, and it's a breeze.

Favorite Trail:   Latigo Cyn

Purchased At:   Michael's Bikes

Bike Setup:   Standard except for new stem, BB, rear cassette and middle ring.

Submitted by Another Clydesdale a Cross Country Rider from Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Strengths:    Transmission system (gears), Weight (lack there of), Suspension (so sweet), Seat Post (Thompson elite), Brakes (Avid mechanical disks)

Weaknesses:    Chain Suck, Phantom shifting

Bottom Line:
Hey, I'm 6'8" and weigh 265# with a fully loaded Camelbak. I enjoy cross country riding here in the great white north. I ride with some fellow "Lemmings" and have extended my riding season into the winter. The Thompson elite post is awesome. I have the seatpost jacked up so it is in the stratosphere. The bike looks totally disproportional with the high seat but hey....who is going to make fun of my bike?? I am 6'8" and weigh 265# remember??

This bike is perfect for an average, heavy rider who likes to do single track and goes over 12" drops (max). Both shocks are fine and do not bottom out. All this bashing must be from disgruntled riders who have really abused the products.

Chain suck......hmmmmm. My first ride had three occurences of this dreadful disease. Fortunately I witnessed this first hand. To prevent any massive damage to the frame BRING YOUR SHOCK PUMP THE FIRST FEW RIDES!! To alleviate the chain suck I let all the air out of the rear shock (Cane Creek AD-5), and pulled the rear end to relax the suspension. The chain popped out nicely and then I re-pressurized to 200 psi.

I brought it to my LBS and they quickly changed out the crank rings (same day service). Apparently Gary Fisher has a four stage methodology of rectifying this disease. I know I will bring my shock pump with me for a few more rides just in case. For the record I did contact Gary Fisher via E-mail and they got back to me within 1 day. As a matter of fact I contacted the manufacturers of most of the major components via E-mail and they responded to me in 1 or 2 days....just be nice, professional and for gods sake check your spelling and grammer!

The bike rides like a dream. If you are an average rider but are hesitant because of all the bashing about the components-don't worry...BUY IT! The suspension is amazing and floats over anything. Do your self a favor though...have your LBS swap out the rear cassette for a rear which has 34 teeth. You will be able to climb virtually anything. The Avid mechanicals are great for winter riding and will allow you to stop on a Canadian dime (Canadian dime is slightly larger than its US counterpart and thus allows the increased stopping distance due to the decrease in the co-efficient of friction (snow and ice))

Purchased At:   Spokes n Slopes, Milton, Ontario

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Mesa Hard tail for 4 years

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 4+ 2002 stock with the following modifications:
Thompson Elite seatpost, Bontrager Race Disc OSB wheel system, Avid mechanical disc brakes

Submitted by Bob S. a Cross Country Rider from Omaha

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great climber! Zips right up steeps. Very stiff, quick bike.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager drive chain parts...bont. and shimano don't like each other. one or the other please! manitou black comp fork too plush, bottoms out eaasily. for the love of god, gimme decent pedals!

Bottom Line:
I'm happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   swanson, L&C

Purchased At:   bike rack :(

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper fsr

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock (no money)...longer stem

Submitted by Tommy Hollenbaugh from Calimesa

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    Its a Fisher need I say more

Weaknesses:    Rear shock bushings wore out around 8 months, But cane creek has great customer service only took a week to fix!!

Bottom Line:
This is a 1 year review!!!I was first!!
This bike can do anything with in reason. Don't ask what I've spent on it but it was worth every penny P.S. Never had any shifting problems, I think some of it is ride and mechanic error!!not all this bike

Favorite Trail:   Box springs

Purchased At:   riverside cyclery

Similar Products Used:   moab

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Raceface nextlp cranks and bb, Prolite bar, matrix swami ceramic rims laced with dt rev. spoke(by ME),selle nitrox ti saddle,panaracer fire in front and trailblaster in the rear,959 pedals,(sid world cup coming soon)

Submitted by MIKE a Weekend Warrior from FOTR LAUDERDALE

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    NO TROUBLE WITH THE FORK.THE REST WELL....

Weaknesses:    THE DRIVE TRAIN SUCKS, GHOST SHIFTS, CHAIN SUCK, I HAD A BIKE SHOP REPLACE CASSETTE, CHAIN RING, CHAIN ( 3 TIMES ) REAR DERAILER BOTTOM BRACKET AND ON AND ON.
ANY TIME YOU FAST OVER ROUGH TERRAIN THE CHAIN WILL GIVE YOU PROBLEMS. POOR DESIGN.

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THIS OR ANY SUGAR SERIES BIKE.

Favorite Trail:   MARKHAM

Similar Products Used:   SPECIALIZED, KONA, FUJI, GT

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    Looks nice, and weights a little.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager crank!

Bottom Line:
This is a really good and fast bike. I had chain suck once with the stock cranks and my bike shop swaped out for deore. No problem since in 2.8 or 4.1. I bought this bike to be upgraded over time, but it is pretty fast as is, so I might wait longer than I planned. I recommend to purchase this bike, but make sure that you are confident in the shop that you purchase from. Mine took a bit to break in (three weeks or so.) But it was worth the wait. It is really a great bike!

Purchased At:   Fisher's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   All types of mtn bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock with 515's, doere crank, race lite gel saddle, and panaracer fire xc pro's.

Submitted by doug a Racer from Smoke Lake, TN

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Strengths:    I like the black color...the bike is very stiff to ride...the adjustable travel is too much for the average joe to handle....but as an elite cross country racer I enjoy the adjustable travel, but never take mine off of 2.8. the single strength and selling point of this bike was definitely the Bontrager cranks, which provide precise and incredibly quick shifting.

Weaknesses:    The rear triangle--out of alignment by about 5mm....but one good swift kick in the rear of the bike corrects it.

Bottom Line:
JUST KIDDING.............DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET.......SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP AND GO RIDE YOUR DAMN BIKE.

Favorite Trail:   Timmons park

Purchased At:   bob's bike and tackle

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi SL full Deore/crossmaxpurchased from price point--I'll never mail order again, as my bike was not set up properly.

Bike Setup:   25" saddle height, saddle-stem length 18" 108mm travel up front and shock pressure at 225psi, 35 psi tires