Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ 2002 Full Suspension

4.13/5 (117 Reviews)

Submitted by Roman Dietrich a Cross Country Rider from Bavaria, Germany

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    relatively light-weight bike, sensitive rear suspension, fast climber, really good handling on fast and/or tricky trails, easier to carry than other bikes when necessary, because of the frame geometry (in my opinion)

Weaknesses:    Chain-Suck, but mounting small and middle Shimano chain-rings instead of the bontrager has solved this so far.
My front suspension, a Manitou SX with 80 mm travel has a very low stiffness and works not very sensitive, although another spring has been mounted already.

Bottom Line:
Thank god, the damn chain suck problem has been solved so far by mounting the shimano chain rings. My local dealer had the idea... Thanks a lot.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Superstock Wheels, Manitou SX fork, Cane Creek AD5 rear suspension, crank brothers smarty pedals

Submitted by anthony a Cross Country Rider from exeter NH

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2004

Strengths:    rear suspension and front suspension. the frame is very light.

Weaknesses:    not enough rear or front travel for me atleast. the cane creek ad is a great shock but only i think 3 inchs of travel. the front is deacent a manitou BLACK elite

Bottom Line:
ive only had it 1 week. I havent hit any nice trails yet because it' s gonna be winter soon. im going to loon mount to go on the back trails. gonna through some studded tires on her. the stock back country tires are great one review said there dangerouse but i love them. if u have the cash and want a great ride get this. if ur poor like me go with a hardrock. i got this because it was 50percent off stock price. whick still caused me 700 bucks.

Purchased At:   wheel power

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock comp... my new bike a GAry fisher sugar 3+

Bike Setup:   stock but im ading some avid bb5's to it

Submitted by karl a Weekend Warrior from WA state

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    weight, comfort, handling

Bottom Line:
Great bike in all aspects except flex in the seat stay arms. This caused very poor braking performance on the rear v brake. After endless adjustments I eventually had to switch to avid mechanical discs to remedy the problem. Great bike if you have disc, if not you’re missing out. I highly recommend getting rid of V brakes on this bike because you’ll never get the performance you want with the flex in the seat stay arms. Also, don’t try a v brake booster – it will ram up against the frame when the rear shock is activated and put a nice ding in your frame. Avid mechanicals – get them. They make a very good bike great.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Had the 2000 sugar 3 and broke the frame. Now have the 2002 3+ and it's been very durable (so far)

Bike Setup:   Stock except the addition of avid mechanicals and stan's no tubes

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from PDX, OR USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2004

Strengths:    Very solid, yet comfortable frame. Most comfortable bike I test rode. Not much "bob" when climbing. Seat is awesome.

Weaknesses:    Manitu shock isn't my favorite
Wish The rear suspension travel adjustment was easier to use.

Bottom Line:
Sure I've only had this bike for several months, but so far I love it. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm stoked so far. Heading to Moab next month, and expecting nothing but the best. I'll report back if bike doesn't hold up. I got a sweet deal, conidering bike is 2 years old.

Changes I'll make, I'd like to add hydraulic Disks some say, but the V's will get me by. I'd also like to put a stable platform rear shock on some time. I'll eventually go with a Marzocchi front fork as well, but all in due time.

I have not yet had ANY of the chain suck issues. I was very gun shy about buying this bike, but I couldn't pass it up, especially considering it fit "me" the best of the bikes I was riding, and the awesome price. Why pay $600 more for a bike that didn't feel as good. I did make sure that my bike was aligned right with the string test, and my bike was PERFECT. I got assurances from RCB (salesmen, floor managers, etc.) that my bike would not have those problems, and that they've all been fixed. They've put the Rep. on the line, and so far they are right. I think some of the chain suck issues are because people don't know how to use their front rings correctly. Time will tell I guess.

I would highly recommend this bike. Bang for your buck, you just can't beat it. It's so nice and solid compared to the Stumpy and my old Pro-flex. It doesn't "rattle" around, and doesn't stretch my body out so much like the other two I have experience with.

5 FLAMERS for this puppy on value, and the ride. Totally comfortable on this bike, and I'm making climbs I've never made before. Buy this if $2000 for a bike makes you sick, yet you want to hang with those who have paid too much! You'll love the fact that you can still afford the beer after the ride!

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Purchased At:   River City

Similar Products Used:   Old Proflex, Stumpjumper,

Bike Setup:   Stock, with better rear gears for better Granny gear, Crank Bros. Mallet C's.

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Alexander,ME,USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased a 2000 model in Spring 2001 on sale from Bar Harbor Bicycle in Ellsworth,Maine. Extra long Thomson seat post and stem were used on XL frame to accomodate my 6'8"/200 pound body. The Sugar geometry is especially good for tall folks. After 2 years and @ 2000 miles of trouble free cross country riding on very rough and wild trails through bear and moose territory, I noticed an unfamiliar clunking sound as I went over bumps. Upon close inspection I noticed that the weld at the base of the down tube was completely broken through. The sound was caused by the frame tubes banging into each other! The odd thing is that the bike still rode just fine for the 15 mile trip home. I took it back to my nearest local bike shop, Bar Harbor Bicycle, about 100 miles away. Within 3 weeks they moved all my original components over to a brand new 2004 Sugar 3+ painted up at the factory just for me with Sybil link and Fox Float shock all covered under warranty! I didn't think it could be possible, but I like the ride even more than the original. As for chain suck and shifting problems mentioned by others on this site, I've only had problems a couple of times when the drive train got way too dirty. Maybe those complaints were legit, but regular meticulous cleaning and lubing of the drive train may be all that's needed in many cases. From my experience, it's a great bike backed by a great warranty. Bar Harbor Bicycle was most helpful too.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from S. Cal

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Climbing ability, both suspensions work great, components are generally good. price.

Weaknesses:    Not the smoothest shifting experience I had, but not as bad as others complain. It does have some problem thought. Brake set can be better in this price range.
CHANGE THE BACKCOUNTRY TIRE! DANGEROUS!

Bottom Line:
Well worth the money I spent ($999 including tax), instead of buying from eBay, I got it from LBS to make sure the chain suck problem can be dealt with. But so far not too bad, some trail adjustment is needed for the chain did flop around some times. Take some time to adjust to long geometry cockpit, and change the damn front tire - which I should have been done earlier - try to save money and got myself hurt.
Bottom line: switch from hardtail, this bike surprised me with it's climbing ability (no bob), downhill is very plush as well. I love it and will like to grow with it.

Purchased At:   Jax

Similar Products Used:   Blur (nice), Jeykl and Fuel, many hardtails.

Bike Setup:   stock except Titec Flat Tracker bar, carbon barend. Avid SD-7 brakes. swap the BAD-country FRONT TIRE after injury.

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    chainsuck

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike a couple months ago and love riding it. I bike about 5 days a week of hard trailriding and this bike has done everything i wanted from it. It climbs like a fiend, absords 4-5 footers smoothly and its light enough to race (occassionally). I weigh about 130 lbs and have never bottomed out either shock. The only problems i've had so far with the bike is the damn chainsuck. I'm not quite sure how to get rid of it and the guys at the shop wont help me out so i'm stuck. Also the stock tires blow. I had to throw on the old Panaracer firexcpro and conti vert in order to hold onto any fast carving turn or climb. The black elite absorbs everything and the cane creek shock has no pedal-bob.

All in all the bike is perfect for those who just love to go into the trail and just fool around, doin nasty climbs or nasty drops or just plain rippin up the singletrack. I only gave it three chili's on value though cause i still think all bikes cost way too much.

Favorite Trail:   tight singletrail

Similar Products Used:   giant nrs1, trek fuel

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Thom a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    light cushy bike that climbs great.

Weaknesses:    Riser bar (oh well) and chain suck

Bottom Line:

It rides like a dream, climbs great, shifting is smooth and the brakes are exceptionally dependable. This is the second time it's been in the shop to have a chain ring replaced due to chain suck which has been a bit of an issue. (It hasn't happened much but when it does it's a pisser!) The store's service has been great and is currently replacing the crank and chain rings to Shimano LX (which the rep says should solve the issue). I took the opportunity to take out a demo bike, a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp with Shimano Disk brakes. The dimensions of the bikes feel like something between the Sugar and a downhill bike. It handled great on the downhills and the brakes were not significantly different than the Hayes hydrolics. It bobbed on the straightways, felt like my weight was all on the back tire and climbing was exactly what I had feared all softails would climb like. The sugar is definitely a cross country bike. I would hate to take anything else through a technical singletrack. I would have rated this a four due to the chainsuck, but having tried another comparable bike I'm convinced that the overall performance rates a five.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune

Purchased At:   Tommy Lefebvre

Similar Products Used:   Norca hardtail, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Bike Setup:   off-the rack + cut down the bars and added some stubby bar ends,

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Lakeside, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    Genesis geometry puts your butt farther back on the frame. Makes climing and drop-offs much more manageable. Tight frame. Excelent control. Rear shock and fork adjustment is a serious plus. Easily change this bike from a racing XC setup to free-ride. b*link technology makes for a very smooth rear suspension ride. No problems with "bobbing" up hills.

Weaknesses:    Been riding over a year - no problems encountered.

Bottom Line:
I think I'm one of the few who has never experienced chain suck. I asked Supergo to replace bottom bracket and crankset prior to purchase to cover this. Called Fisher who told me the problem was solved mid 2002. Bike is a smooth ride. Suspension is perfect - no bobbing, rear shock compresses when it should, and stays pretty stable otherwise. Word of caution: unless you are hitting some nice sized jumps, keep your fork set to 80mm. Excelent bike for any XC rider. See lots of them out there, no complaints from any other riders.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose full suspension (cheap)

Bike Setup:   All XT accross the board. Exceptions: Avid SD5 brakes (XT shifters); Bontrager handlebar, Bontrager weelset; WTB Laser V seat; WTB Veloci Raptor tires; Manitou Black Elite fork

Submitted by Alex Galipeault a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    The best thing about this bike is definetly the price, $1600.00 CAD, it`s a steal! Tires are very soft and give excellent grip. I love the rear shock. It does it`s job well and is easy to maintain. To mya amazement, it`s a very good climber (Stay on the seat!) The 100mm fork and 4.1 inches set up at the back is awesome. It`s a mix between x-country (55%) and all-mountain bike (45%). The seat`s comfy too.

Weaknesses:    Chainsuck, just like everybody else! I am 210lbs and the Manitou Black fork is way too soft, I`ve hit bottom already many times. Stickers make the bike look cheap. Paint would have been more appropriate for a bike like this.

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for you if:
1) You`re a weekend worrior
2) You like to race from time to time for your own pleasure
3) You ride mostly x-country trails w some light freeride/dwnhill.
4) you want a no-nonsense bike
5) you want an easy to use FS.

Needless to say that after reading about the chainsuck, I was praying that maybe, oh maybe I was a lucky GF bike owner that would never have to deal w this problem but let me tell you that the first time it happens, man it SUCKS! If you can, try to get it fixed at your LBS before you take it out of the shop. I have to recommmend that anyone over 200lbs who buys this bike get a the Manitou spring inside changed right away to a stiffer spring.
Other then that the bike rides awesome and I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Mont Ste-Anne Resort

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Similar Products Used:   2002 Specialized Enduro series.

Bike Setup:   Outta the box, no disc brakes. (Get`em if you`ve got the dought)

Submitted by Jerk-O a Cross Country Rider from Houston TX

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame geometry. nice set up with the duke u-turn and fox vinella r in the rear. lighter than most full suspencion for the price, handles great around tight stuff. adjustible travel all around is the way to go, great everywhere i have gond riding.

Weaknesses:    bottom out w/ the duke so chenged to stiffer springs. took a little while to set up just right. dont like the crow bars so switched to a flat. seat is a little on the hard side for a boneyass like mine

Bottom Line:
Great ride. it took me a while to get used to riding a full suspension on the trail but once i got it set for my weight works great. i really like the way it handles around tight stuff and how is takes control on downhill sections, the adjustible travel in the front and rear: great. kudos to rock shox w/ the u-turn, defently gettin a pyslo for my dirt jumper. i like the way this bike is comfortable in all conditoins, anything from xc, small downhill, and urban assult. if it gets a little bigger just switch to the 4" of travel in the rear and 108mm in the front. if your riding around where conditions change or you just want to switch it up and take bigger hits that are on the trail defently get this bike. it will take the abuse you throw at it and then some. dont get it if you want a super light full suspension, go ahead and get a carbon.
defently worth the money, only giving it 4 all around b/c i cant remember how it road before all changes. now it is defently worth a 5 after a grand and a half spent on lighter stuff

Favorite Trail:   Knobyhill Ranch

Purchased At:   Valley

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel 90, trek 6000, schwin moab

Bike Setup:   55 psi in tires, 110psi in rear shock, 90mm travel in front. changed out a bunch of stuff just b/c i had extra money after i got my tax return. bontreger race wheels, xtr, xtr, xt, fsa crank and bottom bracket, fsa headset, avid 5 v-brakes, easton seat post, besides that orginal. (yes i should have just bought the 2+ or the team issue, but hey thats what you get for riding on a budget half the time)

Submitted by Casey a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    Love the solid feel of the bike, much better than my old Specialized Rockhopper cheapie front susp, love the plush rear shock feel on the full-susp. Great recovery manners for when you screw something up in a technical section.

Weaknesses:    Cane Creek shock blew on me on my first ride, had to have warrantied, took two weeks. I had the bad bad chainsuck issue happen to me, but the shop had a service bulletin with some replacement parts - and the suck is all but gone now.. it has improved significantly, and I didn't need a new frame. I just hate having to repair my bike twice in teh first month!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that this is a great quality bike, at the best price you will be able to find. There is just no other bike in this price range which will deliver a high quality full-suspension bike, which is great for XC riding. I'll give it 4 chillis all-around because I would reco this bike to anyone, just make sure you get those two issues taken care of which I had. Thumb's up to Montlake Bicycles for handling my issues with class.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain, North Shore

Purchased At:   Montlake Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper Front Susp.

Bike Setup:   stock, with Wellgo pedals (love my flats!)

Submitted by Reed a Weekend Warrior from Southlake

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Strengths:    Very impressed. The bike rides great in total stock form. Will probably switch up too XTR soon, and maybe eggbeaters. otherwise keep stock

Weaknesses:    pedals are too sticky, but can adjust. egg beaters would have been a nice choice. Takes a while to get the rear derail adjusted just right.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, good value used.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore, Grapevine

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Son of Newman

Bike Setup:   Stock, 35psi tires IRC backcountry, 180 psi in rear shook, front fork 80mm setting nice and stiff.

Submitted by Jerrid a Weekend Warrior from Great Falls

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Strengths:    Has little or no bob when set up properly.

Weaknesses:    When this line first came out in 2002 it had problems due to warping in the frames during manufacturing. Garry Fisher took some time in figuring this out and replaced my frame. The new frames no longer have this problem because they changed the way they make it so it wont warp.

Bottom Line:
If you are having chain suck problems contact Gary Fisher for a new frame. My new frame has had no problems what so ever. I know when before I bought my bike I looked at the reviews on here and noticed alot of problems with the chain suck however I liked the bike. I am glad I purchased one. Gary Fisher stood behind this bike in all ways. I had no out of pocket expense. Just had to deal with the problems until they realized what was going wrong. This is a great bike. If you get a 2003 it should be perfect as far as the frame goes.

Purchased At:   Garry Fisher bike dealer