Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ GS 2002 Full Suspension

3.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by nando & rocio a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry. Good Climber. Eye Candy. Gary Fisher quality.

Weaknesses:    Original bottom bracket (wrong size), brake levers (Promax?), IRC Backcountry (monster-truck) tires.

Bottom Line:
After reading these reviews we asked our seller if they had taken any measure to fix the chainsuck. They did and, sure enough, the right bottom bracket spindle will most likely take care of it (I don't know what the right size is, though). So will a clean drivetrain (clean it, and use wax lubricant instead of oil). My wife is still using the Bontrager crankset with no chainsuck issues at all. May upgrade to XT anyways.

Some may like the monster-truck, extra heavy, 2.3 IRC Backcountry tires. We didn't, too heavy.

The Bontrager wheelset is pretty good. She just likes the Rolf better. Keep the cassette, nice and light SRAM.

Time ATAC pedals rule, 'nuff said.

Avid brakes get the job done. Get better levers and put nice cartridge pads and they're even better.

The fork is soft. But it also is a long travel fork, so it's natural it feels softer (to allow more travel). We found that maxing out the damping and adjusting the rebound (to "less", not "more") solved the "springy" feel for my 130lb wife. This we did by recommendation of a local Manitou dealer (when he could have just sold us a stiffer spring kit).

Also, the rear shock setup instructions are all wrong. Find your own setting through trial and error.

Believe the hype, women's specific design made a big difference for my wife. Surprisingly, a heavier, full-suspension bike has helped her climb better. Wide, but not to wide riser bars offer great control. She also swears by the women-specific WTB saddle.
Not the perfect bike, but pretty good value, worth upgrading.

We'll post a follow up in Fall, see if it holds.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS. Gary Fisher Big Sur.

Bike Setup:   Rolf Satellite wheels. XT shifter, brake lever combo. Time ATAC pedals. XT cartridge brake pads. Everything else stock.

Submitted by Jensen a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Light. Feels like a hardtail. Handles fairly well.

Weaknesses:    Soft fork springs. Upgrade immediately. Would love to have a progressive front spring, but alas...

Bottom Line:
My first dual after years of Bridgestone MB-1 with rigid forks. This bike is just as light with all the shocks. Tricks are way easier with dual susp and spuds. I won't ever go back.

For some reason, the GS fits me better than the men's small so I bought it. Make sure you get the ride kit one grade heavier than your weight. The stock Diva should only be used by 80-lb kids. Still trying to figure out the fork pogo when hammering.

What chainsuck? None for me. Maybe I got a good one.

Love this bike. The ratings say it all.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Test drove others in price range. Specialized Enduro, Rocky Instinct, Trek Fuel 80, Trek Fuel 90, Giant ATC.

Bike Setup:   Stock except trimmed bars 2", added bar ends and replaced fork spring with Manitou firm ride kit.

Submitted by Vicki a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Handles well on downhills and climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    Chainsuck and less than predictable shifting.

Bottom Line:
Bike had chainsuck from day one. Figured it was me and I'd learn to work around it or get used to it. However, after many long walks -- cause the chain jammed so deeply into the frame I couldn't get it out -- I began taking it back where I purchased it. They tried a myrad of things to eleviate the problem, i.e., two different chainrings and bottom brackets (XT and LX), none of which made it any better. The shifting improved with the XT, but the chainsuck occurred on the first ride. With the LX the chain wouldn't shift to the small chainring. So, on roughly the seventh or eighth trip back to the store, they agreed to comp me what I paid for the bike and I bought another bike (Specialized). With the FSR Comp I've had zero problems. The ride is noteably smoother on downhills and shifts are like butter. But when the GS was in the right gear, the climbs were easier. I would definitely avoid the 2002 genesister's and read some evals on the 2003's before slappin your money on the counter for one. Because other than the chainsuck on virtually every ride, it's hard to be fair with the rating. If that and the shifting problem were not present I'd give a rating of five flamin' chili peppers. But,,,,,since I walked soooooo much pushing it, I'm only gonna give it two flamin' chili peppers.

Favorite Trail:   Lynx

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Swapped Laser seat for Serfa.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Spokane

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    Climbs and rides great, adjustable suspension, women specific design.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck problem, bottom bracket, chain rings, tires

Bottom Line:
My wife loves this bike. As with any new bike purchase, made some changes to make it a perfect fit. Changed the seat to a Bontrager women's FS, swapped the stem, changed the heavy slow Backcountry tires to the quicker Mythos XC, and beefed up the front Diva fork which is set up for some dainty little prissy thing, not my hard riding honey. Chain suck was a major problem, bike guys changed out the bottom bracket first, and most recently changed the middle chain ring to Shimano in an effort to solve the problem. We'll see if that takes care of it, otherwise the frame goes back to GF for a new one. I understand some Sugar fames just aren't straight. That's not good. Overall, the bike climbs and rides great and my honey loves riding it, so hope the kinks get worked out. Can only give it 3 chilis until they do.

Favorite Trail:   Riverside State Park

Purchased At:   North Division Bike

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Excaliber

Bike Setup:   Out of the box, except for changes noted below.

Submitted by Neale from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
The chain line on this bike is off. You would hope that they would get this stuff right. It is bad enough that you immediately want to change the cranks and brakes.

The bike has some potential. I did some stairs on it (it is my girl friend's bike).

If you buy this you will need a smaller bottom bracket (shorter spindle).

I would suggest that you wait until next year to buy one of these. I'll change out the BB to get the proper chain line. We'll see what happens. I wonder if they speced the wrong BB for a reason. Maybe the chain rings will rub the frame with the shorter spindle.

I'll let you know how this works out. Don't let your girlfriend get all bent on this being a "girl's" frame then buy it. As with all new things, wait until next year when they work out the "problems" (like putting in the proper BB)

I'll rate it low for now.

Submitted by Joe A a Cross Country Rider from Phila, PA USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Strengths:    My first experience with a dual suspension MTB and I love it. the geometry and the air filled rear shock make downhilling some much fun that I almost enjoy the uphill rides in anticipation. The Balck front shock rocks but it can't lock out for long inclines. I also ride in all weather and the rear shock with a little less air than recommended can be great for snow riding. I dropped the air pressure down below 120 pounds ( I weigh 150) and the rear sags a little which gives you alot more traction in snow. In normal conditions, I pump the rear back up to 150.

Weaknesses:    I had some serious shifting problems with the Bomtrager Chain Rings. The shop swapped them out for a Shimano HG chain and LX rings and i have't had any problems since.

Bottom Line:
For a first time dual rider, I love this bike. I have neck and lower back probs but with this bike I can ride much more with out the pain. I take hard downhills ( rocky ones) without hesitation.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon, Hartshorne

Purchased At:   D&Q in Cheery Hill

Similar Products Used:   Canondale F500, but I crapped out the head shok and youre stuck with a bike that can't be ridden

Bike Setup:   Hayes front and rear mechanical Discs, Sram rear cassette, Shimano HG chain rings ( upgrade from the Bomtrader)