Fuji Discovery 3 2002 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Stanley Kowalski a Weekend Warrior from 632 Elysian Fields, N.O. LA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Value for money. A decent full suspension bike at an entry level price

Weaknesses:    Built to a price and weight. plastic bit on pedal gave out the first time I stood on it. This kind of part saved the company what? 75cents? Alivio derailleur is a bit rough, particularly the front one(but serviceable). hardcore people would probably describe front shock as weak, but it soaks up washboard very nicely. Manual is useless. Lots of flats. Kind of an uncomfortable seat. Doesn't climb well, but I probably should pressurize the tire at something less than 60 psi.

Bottom Line:
I'm really too new at this to compare it to other bikes. But I put about 30 hrs on it the first month, and I've started riding it to work, after not owning a bike for 25 years, which should tell you something. Full suspension is a real confidence builder. Hucked myself over the handlebars, even, sort of like a Mountain Dew commercial only with middle-aged actor(s). I bought it from Bikesdirect.com. They were OK, but I would have bought it from a dealer if one were local. I feel like I can go pretty far in my new hobby without changing bikes, but I didn't go out on a limb too much with the cost of my purchase. Still, nickel and dime economies bug me just a little.

The suspension softens up after twenty or thirty hours, so don't be put off by the hard ride at first.

Favorite Trail:   not too scary ones

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   some kind of Trek, Raleigh M80

Bike Setup:   Dimension pedals. The kind that cost $40.

Submitted by Chase a Weekend Warrior from Hobesound,fl,U.S.

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    very good suspension,very light,handles great,feels good,great gearing,tons of fun,best for the money.

Weaknesses:    tal for a short rider like me.

Bottom Line:
ive only had the bike for a short time but i love the thing. ive never had a better bike and ive had quite a few and most were high tech.this bike is great for the money. i race dirt bikes and i belive this bike rules. this bike is perfect for mx riders who like to train on bikes or someone who likes riding trails seriously but cant afford a $1000 mtb.

Favorite Trail:   Jonathan Dickinson

Purchased At:   Pro Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   huffy,trek,pasific,next.

Fuji Discovery 3

Hey guys, I bought a 2002 Fuji Discovery 3 on craigslist for $220 and I was wondering what types of forks can fit on it? Are they the standard 1 1/8" or are they something else? It doesnt really state it on the sites I've seen them on. If they are, what are some nice forks that I could buy that is u ... Read More »