Ellsworth Truth 2002 Full Suspension

• Compatible with 80 to 100mm travel forks

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Cliff van Veen a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    It was a pretty sweet ride while the bike held up.

Weaknesses:    The seat tube snapped after 3 months. The frame was replaced and the seat tube snapped again after 5 months. I got my money back and am riding a Yeti 575 Carbon now.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this bike. It will break.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge/Lawndale/South Burma/Rough Go

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Moment/Yeti 575

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT rear derailler, FC M760 Diore LX Crank, and BRM 535 hydro disc brakes, Schram X-GEN front derailler, Mavic 117Disc rims, Romec Shock, RockShox Tora 318 100mm fork, Cane Creek Head Set, and Truvative Handlebars.

Submitted by Jason Donaldson a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, hill climber

Weaknesses:    It snapped on the seat tube

Bottom Line:
    I love my truth, infact I have debated on getting the Ellsworth lettering as a tattoo! I have riden some of my buddies bikes ranging from every aspect of FS design. By far, the Truth has it and even more then you expect. I bought my Truth in 2001 and rode many miles on it and still dream about them, but this past June in 2006 my frame snapped on the seat tube right below the suspension weld. I FREAKED. I thought my summer of riden was over, not to mention my next couple of years just do to my budget. I called Ellsworth directly and not only did I get friendly customer service, but I truely felt that they were sad for me. I got a new frame, even though it was refurbished, within 5 weeks of my first call, and I was on the trail. Ellsworth did offer me other opitions but again, I was short on funds, to either upgrade or get a new Truth for a small cost. So the bike rides like nothing else on the trail and with customer service from people who come across like they ride, what else do you want. I love my bike, and I'm proud that I ride an Ellsworth. If only my wife will let me get that Tattoo

Favorite Trail:   Killington Mountain, TtBaB

Purchased At:   Danbury Cycle, CT.

Similar Products Used:   specialized epic

Bike Setup:   avid disc brake, xtr or xt setup, fox suspension both ends

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Shoreham NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Low weight, precise handling, climbing, attention to detail in finish.

Weaknesses:    danged if I can find one... OK price, but when you ride it you will understand why its not.

Bottom Line:
    The ride is brilliant, really fast and responsive, it inspires confidence and makes you ride better from the moment you get on it. So what can be said about this bike that is not already out there? I mostly do cross country singletrack from moderate to double diamonds. I used to ride hardtails before getting a Marin Attack Trail which I liked as my first full suspension. The Truth rides like a hardtail until you hit terrain then it sucks it up like a plush full suspension and thus gives you the speed and agility of a hardtail with the comfort of a full sus. I kind of expected this but what I did not expect was the climbing performance which simply has to be experienced. I when I switched bikes I was trying everything I could to get my old bike up some particularly tough climbs, with roots rocks etc. It was quite the balancing act to keep the front end down and stop the rear end from breaking free at critical times. From the first hill on the Truth I was amazed. It feels like it’s glued down and I can torque the back end to get up without it breaking free. The weight of the bike is very good, full (XTR) build is 25 pounds. On weight, I wouldn’t believe a word in catalogs, if you want to know weight, go to your bike store, take a test ride then weight the bike you rode.
    Bike heads will always be looking for better bike/build either in rumor or reality. I wanted to get an outstanding frame/build and put my time and effort into riding instead of upgrades etc. The bike is pricey, so I wondered if it would deliver the goods, or if I would have regrets. The answer, I could not be happier than with my 2005 Truth. Also, Gary at Rocky Point Cycle, did a fantastic job on the build. I encourage everyone to support our local bike store guys!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Rocky Point Cycle

Similar Products Used:   SC Blur, Marin Attack Trail, Spider

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Easton monkey, Chris King, Fox 100

Submitted by Jeremy Davis a Cross Country Rider from Denver Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, geometry, ICT.

Weaknesses:    STRENGTH

Bottom Line:
    I agree that the Truth performs like a champ and I love to ride it. Everyone may disagree with me here, but I just had a seat stay break in half while on a ride this weekend. I was pretty upset to find out that Ellsworth does not back up the product if you are not the original owner. So because the weld was not high enough when they put disc brake mounts on the 02 for the first time, I get to pay for their mess up. It is a known problem, (they are sending me the re-designed replacement) but now I am out of a ride for two weeks and $300. Be careful with disc brakes on the 02!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, K2 Razorback, Yeti Kokopeli

Bike Setup:   Avid Hydros, SRAM XO, Marzocchi DJ2, Fox Float RC, Race Face Atlas cranks....

Submitted by steven wardlaw a Weekend Warrior from simpsonville s.c.

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Strengths:    great quality frame.light weight but strong. no paint to chip. ride that is secind to none.

Bottom Line:
    great frame,i hoped this frame was as good as everyone had said. trust me it is.i loved my k2 but this is not even a close race between the two. this bike will make you a better rider on your first ride. i had one major hill that i was never able to climb until today.this hill has alot of roots and rock.the rear wheel on my bike would always skip on the roots and the climb was over.i'm 43 years old and will never be a great rider or racer but this bike made me feel like one.if you are in the market for a great trail or race bike look no further.one last word for all the people at ellsworth bikes,thanks!

Favorite Trail:   anything that's in dupont

Similar Products Used:   k2 razorback rs, jamis, specialized, trek fuel

Bike Setup:   v brake, cane creek shock, race face crank, xtr and xt derailiers,tubeless 819 rims,irc tires

Submitted by Denton Bowers a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    ICT, Anodized paint, great looking bike.

Weaknesses:    A little spendy (but still unique).

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden the hell out of this bike in every place there is to mountain bike on this side of the mississippi. It has seen it's share of abuse, from races to 5 foot drops on trails and urban enviroment. I have been through more wheel sets then anything else. I have killed two shocks during this time. I still have not had a single thing go wrong with the frame. The bike handles like a dream. It climbs really well and bombs the hills with plush feeling suspension. Braking is never compromised by the suspension so i can stop on a dime. Switchbacks are no problem, as the Truth smoothly flows through them. The bike is also very light for a trail bike. If you want a good looking bike with all the bells and whistles the Truth is for you.

Favorite Trail:   All of Sadona

Purchased At:   Mission Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike

Bike Setup:   All XT even the disk brakes, and Thomson seat tube and stem. 317 mavic disk, Psylo Sl front, Fox Float R rear.

Submitted by Steve Dickson a Weekend Warrior from Fresno Ca USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    Everything about the frame is bomber(2001 model with bearings instead of bushings). Great shot-peen finish, sexy welds, CNC swing-arm is beautiful and functional, bearings are tight - even after three years of abuse and travel is smooth and predictible. Overall...it is tough to beat.

Weaknesses:    Can't mount a 5" fork to the nose
    Top tube is thin and easily dents
    Price.....but hey life is short

Bottom Line:
    After three years of riding my Truth, I can safely say there is no better 4" travel bike out there; I wouldn't trade it for any other ride. The geometry is agressive and comfortable, it is very light-weight and it climbs like a scared goat. Additionally it handles like a dream - when riding.... you just think about where you want to go and it effortlessly puts you there. In my bevy of bikes including: Klein, Kestrel, Gary Fisher, Giant, it is at the top of them all, performance and quality of materials & craftsmanship.

The Truth is the ultimate 4" cross-country full suspension ride. If you are looking for something more dual purpose, you might consider the ID - which has more travel while maintaining many of the characteristics of the Truth.

Ellsworth Frames are pretty special. If you are serious about riding, then an Ellsworth is for you.

Favorite Trail:   007

Purchased At:   Cyclopath/Performance

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer
    Giant XTC
    Trek Y

Bike Setup:   King headset, Full XT drive train, FOX RC rear airshock, Marzzochi X-Fly front shock, Monkeylite DH bar

Submitted by StevenD a Cross Country Rider from Merimack, NH

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    Character; warranty; technical climbing; stable descending; anodized finish

Weaknesses:    $- but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
    I've put about a 1000 off road miles on my Truth this summer; time for a report. The first thing that must be said is that my bike has "character" and was made in the USA. It is all about the ride of this bike- my third F/S bike and probably my last. My second F/S bike was an ISIS SL- awesome bike but decided this year to upgrade. For the record, my first F/S bike was a 1998 Specialized FSR. The Truth is the best of the 3 but doesn't beat the ISIS by much. The FSR is a distant 3rd.

When I bought the first Ellsworth a couple of years ago it was because I didn't want another frame welded by a 12 year old in a Taiwan sweat shop (read FSR). I wanted and got a bike with character...no different with the Truth.

The terrain I ride is mixed mud, rocks and roots (welcome to New England).
    This Truth is efficient, great handling and maintenance free. The climbing performance is excellent. This is particularly true in steep technical situations due to the precise handling and traction afforded by the suspension. Descending ability is awesome; get off the brakes and hang on.

I am heavy at 190 lbs and run the ROMIC. It is essentially bob free; and is super plush with good small bump responsiveness, no bottoming, and good rebound contol.

The bike is built up as a solid trailbike (guessing 28 lbs) and I have had no problems. The frame is light but not stupid light and has held up well to the terrain listed above and my fat a**. Did I mention mud earlier? Other than maintaining the drivetrain and keeping things tight- NO MAINTENANCE.

It costs a lot of dough but if you ride alot in demanding conditions it is worth every penny.

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   Nault's Nashua

Similar Products Used:   FSR (owned); ISIS- SL (owned); demo'ed many other F/S rigs

Bike Setup:   ROMIC; Manitou Black 80/100; XT; Thompson, Avid Mech Disc

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    Rides like a dream!

Weaknesses:    None Found

Bottom Line:
    After reading all the reviews of bikes on this website, I decided to opt for the Truth. I don't know that I've ever been so happy with a purchase.

About the bike: It rides like a dream. My brother and I both bought bikes at the same time. He purchased a '03 Specialized M4 with all the options. I got the Truth w/ all options. After a couple of rides, we switched. He immediately said "Wow - this is nice. It rides like a dream". Meanwhile, I was feeling sorry for him because his bike felt brittle and cheap. All I could think about is how badly I wanted my bike back.

I would definately recommend the Truth to anyone. Ellsworth seems to found the right combination of strength/comfort/functionality.

Lot's-O-Chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Wood Creek

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Submitted by derrick from chapel hill, NC

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Strengths:    durable & just right top tube length

Weaknesses:    zilch

Bottom Line:
    Bought this bike in jan of 2000 (I think) -- first laser etch production year. I've seen the 2003 version--virtually identical to 2000. This bike changed the way I rode trails. Smooth fs design allows one to compress and actually accelerate out of lips, dips and corners. Used to buy a new bike every year--I've only greased the bearings once on this bike. Smooth FS especially with quality brakes enables later braking and tighter lines. Not sure if this is the absolute best race bike around, because ICT or not, you're going to suffer just a little bit more going up smooth climbs. But as soon as things head down, get tight, or get rough I have more fun smoothing it. I've heard a lotta hype about the new epic, and I'm looking forward to riding one. From previous experience, the specialized top tube lengths seem too short to really take advantage of the funtastic benefits of x-country FS (I'm 5' 10.5" and run a 120mm thomson with 1.5" riser bar). Waiting for the new wave of stable platform shocks to establish their durability record before I try one on my rig.

Purchased At:   franklin st. cycles

Bike Setup:   sweet

Submitted by Jegs a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    All the reviews are right on, I was wanting for one of these for quite a while. Fast, cushy, efficient. The Blur may have the buzz, but the Truth has the goods. A design that has been tweaked year after year, awesome looks, a ride that feels like it is wired to your brain.

Weaknesses:    I didn't buy one sooner.

Bottom Line:
    Screw the waiting list, you want a revolutionary bike, here it is. I've got to give a shout to Colorado Cyclist, these guys know their sh*t and have the frames in stock. They have some of the best prices around, and will match any legitimate price on Ellsworth. The bike came really well packaged and dialed. Call Chad at CC, he's got an Id and can set you up perfectly...

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Superlight, FSR, Uzzi SL.

Bike Setup:   Full '03 XTR Disc / Manitou Black Super Air

Submitted by Art Laforteza a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Anodized frame, Romic shock(plush), SRAM XO, "climbs like a scalded monkey" with no lockout ever needed, fast and responsive decender

Weaknesses:    Of course price but after demoing bike, that was a none issue!

Bottom Line:
    I have raced and done several 24 hr races with my fully loaded GT i-drive at 24lbs and I love my bike. BUT, when I demo'ed the 2003 Truth from Ellsworth at the 24hrs of Adrenaline at Castaic...I was very impressed and jealous! After speaking with the Ells reps before the race to get the skinny on this "instant center tracking" and the Romic shock I was interested in judging for myself what the hype was on this tech and why Ells was touting they were the ultimate endurance bike set-up (Ells is offical bike of 24hr of Adren.) ELLSWORTH is the REAL DEAL! I was part of a 2 man team that weekend and after my 8th lap, I gave it a go and boy did the TRUTH shine. Fast and responsive decender and incredibly efficient climber with no rear wheel slippage on the tough single track climbs at Castaic. I was dead tired but re-vitalized on the TRUTH! I was bummed I had to give her back to the reps after 2 laps. Romic is the rear shock of choice with the ti springs in 2004. Can't wait to demo again in 3 weeks at Laguna Seca 24hr! This will be my next bike very soon! Thanks to Ells reps for terrific sponsorship of 24hr racing, knowledge, and customer service! (definitely check them out at the events)

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   demo'ed @ 24hr event, Lake Castaic 4/25/03

Similar Products Used:   GT i-Drive, Sugar 1, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Black front, Romic rear, Sram all around with carbon FSA cranks, Avid ti brakes

Submitted by Martyn Sellers a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    Easy handling and responsive, smooth over the bumps and kind on the back on the uphill stretches. Good for cross country riders as well as downhill speed freaks.Get one!

Weaknesses:    Only have XT running gear but thats not the bikes fault eh, would be nice to lock out the rear shock on longer climbs but no real dramas.

Bottom Line:
    Been riding for about 6 years but always on a hard tail having ridden Specialized M2 and then M4 s-works(subsequently stolen in London, w****ers ) got my insurance money and good friend from Stowe offered me his new Truth for a giveaway price. No turning back, just riding harder and faster downhill than ever and not feeling ive been 10 rounds with Lennox lewis. Smooth ride and good response and the bike is solid, doesnt look like it will break ever. Ridden in Morzine in the french alps which is the mecca and the Truth cuts it with the best of the downhillers and uphillers,awesome. Anyone interested in riding trips out here e mail me, its awesome with 6 seperate world cup runs as well as the ski pistes, loads of lifts open too, just dont expect to borrow my bike!

Favorite Trail:   Coed y brennan< wales

Purchased At:   Brit ski instructer friend from Stowe

Similar Products Used:   Specialised M5, trek Y50, Spec enduro

Bike Setup:   Only XT but thats still good going,fox rear, maz front shocks and crossmax hubs, new fan of disc brakes now.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Efficient and plush. Sealed bearings and rear geometry. Amazing combination!

Weaknesses:    Head tube angle could be a little bit slacker for stability. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
    I can stay in the saddle and pedal instead of standing while riding over bumpy terrain. It's kind on my lower back. This bike climbs better than my fuel (which is a good climbing bike), its handling is sharper in the tight stuff, and it's a fast bike (for xc). I dropped the chain on the bb shell on my first ride, and it didn't scratch the ano paint - good finish. I ride with much more confidence on this bike. The truth is a perfect xc/trail bike!

Favorite Trail:   Commerative Emigrant Trail

Purchased At:   Dreamride

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Tazmon, Trek Fuel 98.

Bike Setup:   Romic coil shock, Marathon S fork, Hope Minis, King ISO hubs & hdset, Mavic F219, XT drivetrain, setback seatpost, 15 degree stem, Monkeylite bars.

Submitted by Ming Lee a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Strengths:    Responsive Frame Setup
    Light for Full Suspension Bike Frame
    Attention to detail
    Anodized Paint, Grey looks more silverish in color, nice.
    Strong oversize sealed bearing cartridges

Weaknesses:    After putting together parts, not as light as marketing would have you believe, (large size frame)

Bottom Line:
    Very responsive to tight switchbacks just like my 23lb Cannondale hardtail. I'm much faster through rock gardens, stairs, technical decents, most everything except up hills as expected. My overall speed increase in most technical areas more than makes up for my slight decrease in uphill prowess. I used to think twice about long stair decents etc.. now I just point the wheel, pick a nice line and let it hang, not an exageration.

Since the bike is new I'm having some technical set up issues that I'm still resolving, but i guess it's not fault of the frame itself.
    - need to dial in gearing
    - some knocking in either headset or fork, can't figure it out. brought it into the shop several times, it comes and goes on its own.. hmmm.

Any regrets.... not one.. I just expected it to be a little lighter after reading so many "light" reviews. I put it on the scale and it comes in over 28lbs'!!! Large size frame with some pretty light components as noted above.

safe riding..