Ellsworth Isis 2002 Full Suspension

• Compatible with 80 to 100mm travel forks

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Scott Scotty a Weekend Warrior from Manchester,England

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Strengths:    Quality,original styling.Simplicity of rear suspension not too many around so it makes you feel special and attractive to female bikers

Weaknesses:    Decals come off easily when washed and the final finish off the bike is not what i expected.The paint between the top tube and the down tube isnt finished correctly.Minor details but still annoying.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted a bike with more travel than my specialized but still wanted something quick and responsive.The Isis felt long at first but now feels extremely stable,it climbs efficiently and the rear suspension gets better the faster you go.The bike isnt set up as a super light X country machine but more for going down fast and attacking the famous UK single track rides.I, at first wished i had gone for the Anodised paint job but then i crashed it into a rock last week and scratched it so i'm not bothered now.Buy an Isis and spec it to whatever your riding style is,you wont be disappointed

Favorite Trail:   Glentreese,Scotland

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   bikelane

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stump jumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Rock shox SID 100 forks.easton riser bars (2").fox vanilla rl rear shock.Hope c2 brakes and xt bits.Also Panaracer Megablaster tyres

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Coconut Creek

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    Tight frame, point and shoot. Begs to go faster, faster, you can do it

Weaknesses:    A little difficult to mount on a bike rack.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is tight. Feels even lighter than its 28 lbs. Fast over most obstacles. I'm 6'1" 225lbs and have the large frame so tight 180's are a little difficult, but they are for everyone. This bike was made for me. I launch it off of 5 foot drops with out hesitation...fun. the chain does slap the swingarm. I just can't bring my self to put a piece of tubing around the swing arm to stop it. You could build this bike lighter with some weight conscience parts. I went for durability and price. I recommend this bike for everyone its money well spent. Ellsworth called me personally to see how I liked the bike and if I had any questions. Wow! Its like going to my local bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback

Similar Products Used:   Have a DBR X-2, Kona King Kikapu

Bike Setup:   XT parts, Avid Mech Disc braks, rhyno lite rims, Monkey liteCT-2 bars, Raceface LP turbine cranks, Good+Evil grips, Romic Rear shock, Forx Vanilla 125RL, King headset, Time carbon pedals.

Submitted by tammy a Cross Country Rider from great white north

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    great single pivot design. great for small ppl with low stand over height, craftmanship

Weaknesses:    makes you leave work early...... can't get anyting done at the office.

Bottom Line:
    if you are looking for an ultimate single pivot riding machine... look no further. the desing is very versityle, I have seen them bulit up at 23 lbs as well as 29+ lbs depending on your style of riding. it climbs better than a lot of 4link designs and is trully 100 % pedal efficient.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   sc jullina

Bike Setup:   med isis sl, cane creek ad12, full xtr, cross max wheels, ellsworth skewers.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    The ride! Build construction and attention to detail.

Weaknesses:    Chain slap noise

Bottom Line:
    When looking to finally get a full suspension rig, I test rode a Santa Cruz Superlight, Specialized FSR, Specialized Enduro, Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Yeti Kokopelli, Trek Fuel and Kona Mokomoko. I'm 6'/160 lbs, and for me, the Isis owned all these bikes. Here around Denver, almost all good trails have LOTS of climbing up very loose rocky conditions, and the Isis climbs like a mountain goat. My current setup weighs around 3 lbs more than my '96 Kona Lavadome, but on my first ride with the Isis I was able to ride up and over stuff I had never even come close to making.

I have a friend who also owns this bike, who's more into freeriding/urban assult and wishes he had more travel. I'm more of a pure XC rider who likes to climb technical stuff as well as go downhill fast, and this is the perfect bike for me. I look forward to riding this bike for a very long time.

Purchased At:   Singletrack Factory

Bike Setup:   SL anodized frame, Marz MX Comp fork, Fox Float R rear shock, Sram XO shifters, Sram 9.0 rear derailer, LX front derailer, LX cranks, Deore hubs with Rhinolite rims, Ritchey stem, 1" riser bar and seatpost, Avid Mech disc brakes.

Submitted by vt REVIEW for ISIS SL a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    reasonably light, nice design, exceptionally well balanced, stiff in the rear, simple 1 pivot, very little bob even with a coil, good ionized powder finish

Weaknesses:    sloppy welds

Bottom Line:
    the glaring problem occurred when i snapped the swingarm clean in half just by bobbing around the park one day. i am 150 and this happened in the first 500m...sigh. S**t happens, right? ellsworth stood behind it, got a new swingarm. everyone in their cs is pretty cool; they give alright technical too. so i got a new swingarm; they said they redesigned it. i think they're telling the truth-- almost all chain rub was eliminated and looks like they doubled up on the aluminum toothpaste around the infamous pivot weld.

so aside from all those little hangups...i love this bike. it's just fun. i built a steel hardtail while it was being repaired and i dig the 23lbs, but this bike is so much more fun. i had it built to a 25lb bike at first, and that was all wrong. this is a trail bike, it needs the weight. i agree with most reviews here: it's performnace in every class is superb; overall, definitely a very, very well designed bike. save for the broken swingarm, may well have rated it perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Cam Park

Purchased At:   LBS in Chicago

Bike Setup:   marz 100mm, coil in rear, xt short cage makeshift 2x9 w/ ritchey wcs, bontrager valiants converted to tubeless (rock!), swept risers, xt/xtr mix, times

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from east berlin

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Strengths:    All around performance, build quality, frame design

Weaknesses:    water can get into the frame while washing if not careful at the intersection of where the top and bottom tubes meet near the front of the frame. water then leaks out through the rear pivots. Removal of the seatpost and tipping the bike upside down gets rid of the water. Washing the bike right side up and avoiding hard spray to this area negates the problem.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is an awesome all around performer. The bike's extemely strong on singletrack and downhills. The bike is excellent uphill,though not a sprinter. The bike is just over 27 lbs. built w a fair amount of light expensive parts. It is ok for the occasional race, but a serious racer in expert class or above will opt for something lighter. I like the low standover height w the high bb. The bike is fun and confidence inspiring. The ellsworth isis sl is a high quality do it all bike. Set it up for your style of riding and you will not be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   west hartford

Purchased At:   berlin bicycle

Similar Products Used:   klien mantra, cannondale super v

Bike Setup:   set up light: monkeylite sl, lp post, kore elite stem, xtr v brakes and shifters, xtr rings with rf next cranks,time,rolf propels, fire xc's, duke sl 100, romic shock only consession to weight.

Submitted by Shelley a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    I love everything about this bike. I am a small woman and I finally found a bike that fit and that was light enough for me to throw around. No bob, climbs incredible, and enough travel to let me catch the boys downhill.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
    Killer bike, worth every penny. This will last me a long time, great investment.

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fischer Sugar 4
    Canondale Jeckyl

Submitted by DB a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Solid - Good looking frame, Low maintainence single pivot design, fanatastic for downhills & cornering, Good value.

Weaknesses:    Chain rub on rear swingarm when using biggest (8 & 9) rear sprockets. Paint on swingarm flakes off.

Bottom Line:
    2 years on & I can't fault this bike. It still feels great to ride & as solid as ever which give you confidence to ride fast. It's also very good through corners - You just point & go basically.

It's not the lightest full susser but after riding lighter full suspension bike (Specialized FSR) I think that the extra weight adds to the stabilty & improves the ride which means although it might be a little bit harder to get up hills it's a lot more fun coming back down - Whatever the terrain this bike ploughs through without trouble & leaves you feeling like you could have ridden harder & faster than you did. It's a f**king blast to ride :-)

When I got this bike the SL model wasn't available but if it had of been I would have got that because the paint job is a bit crap. The colour (Grey with black swingarm) is cool but the paint on the swingarm has flaked badly around the droputs & the rest of the bike is chipped & scratched up a bit now. The chain rub has made a real mess of the swingarm but I think the new Isis/Jokers come with Carbon patches to stop this (Need to get one of those for my bike).

At the end of the day I don't think you can go far wrong with one of these. It's great for heavy XC riding but it's equally good for Downhill & freeride depending on what spec you go for.

A top ride & well worth the money

Favorite Trail:   Dartmoor, Leith hill, etc...

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Similar Products Used:   Specialized - FSR, Marin - B17

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi (80mm) forks, Fox Vanilla rear shock, Mavic F219 wheels, Hope M4 disc brakes, Deore/LX groupset.

Submitted by Jmoh a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, IA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Laterally stiff as hell, minimal bob, simple design, lifetime warranty, THE RIDE, THE RIDE, THE RIDE!!!

Weaknesses:    I couldn't afford the annodized finish (my weakness, not the bike's)

Bottom Line:
    I had only seen one of these bikes in the midwest. I bought this bike solely based on reviews posted on this website. I am 6'0 and about 215 lbs and wanted to buy a bike that stand up to my weight and my inability to choose the smoothest line. I was considering a Superlight and was steered toward the Isis because of my size. I bought the Ellsworth based on recommendations that it would offer more lateral stifness and the fact the I could get a Romic rear shock (coil). I had a Pro-Flex 957 that was reasonably light and offered decent performance, but I wanted a little more travel and stiffness. I like the simplicity and low maintenance of the single-pivot design. Weight is of little concern as compared to durability. I didn't know if I needed 4" of travel here in the midwest but I have come to the conclusion that I can put it to good use. I like coil/oil suspension so I went with the Fox Vanilla 100 RL and the Romic rear. The suspension seems to be perfectly balanced with this pairing. The Romic has awesome damping which minimizes pedal induced suspension action yet still offers plush rear travel. The Isis is supposed to have 71/73 angles. The Ellsworth website shows 68 degree headtube and 72 degree seat tube and doesn't even list a 19" frame. I don't know what is up with that because I have a 19" frame. When I look at the bike from the side, it looks like the angles are a bit slack. The front end seems to have a little more "flop" than my hardtail which has a 71 degree headtube. I was concerned with this as I wanted a bike that feels quick in the single track. I can't explain how or why this bike works so well, but it rides much better than I could ever imagine. Feels quick in the single track, handles drops better than anything I've ever ridden, and climbs like a goat(the more technical, the better). I agree with other reviewers in that there is something about this bike that "just feels right."

Favorite Trail:   Porccupine Rim, Amasa Back, here in Iowa-- Sugar Bottom

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Sugar 3+, Pro-Flex 957 if you consider it to be similar

Bike Setup:   Fox Forx Vanilla RL 100, Romic rear shock, King Headset, Thomson post and stem, XT/Sram 8 speed (didn't have enough money to make the purchase without using the drivetrain off my old bike)

Submitted by Brent a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte,NC

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Nice finish,light very strong rides great!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Just getting back in to Mtn biking had a Litespeed Hardtail a few years back.I looked for months trying to decide on new full suspension bike.I am nothing but pleased with my decision.I wanted a frame that would last for years and I would just need to replace or upgrade components if I wanted.I just wonder if i should have opted for the joker with a little more travel.If you are thinking about getting an Isis or any Ellsworth for that matter I highly recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Tanasi

Bike Setup:   Isis SL,Marzocchi Z1, Shimano M575 Disc Wheelset,Hayes Hydraulic, Azonic bars, stem & seat,Time ATAC Carbon,Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar,Panaracer Greenlite Latex Tube,Titec carbon post,King Headset,RaceFace ISIS Turbine LP Crankset,ODI Intense Lock-on Grips, Shimano XTR shifters,cassette,& derailers.

Submitted by Brian "Big T" a Weekend Warrior from Ventura Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    I have been looking for a new steed for several years. My wife is tight with my toy $$ so I had to choose wisely! I'm a big guy (6'5" 250 lbs) so I need bulletproof equipment and the Ellsworth Isis seems to be as bulletproof as it gets! Only time will tell but I'm certain this is the Frame!

Weaknesses:    I can raise children for less than the cost of the bike!

Bottom Line:
    After reading the Ellsworth testimonials and reveiwing ALL the specs on this bike I could find, I called the bike shop and asked about a million questions! The owner I talked to owns this bike and a Joker (must be nice to own a shop)? He answered all my questions with enthusiasm and so I bought it! Further reveiws to follow in a few months!

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel One

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   beyond bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale super v and tested everything else on the market!

Bike Setup:   XTR all the way! Avid cable Disk brakes. Thompson seat post, King headset, even sprung for the Ellsworth Ti skewers....at this point whats another 70 clams??

Submitted by MechMike a Cross Country Rider from Jersey, UK

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    Build quality, handling, looks fantastic

Weaknesses:    Having to tell other riders about it all the time! :-)
    Disc brake hose guides

Bottom Line:
    This bike is the dogs wotsits.

I ride cliff edge single track & need a full-sus bike because of the rocks & stairs on my local trails. This bike gives me the confidence to catch up when other riders are slowing or walking - That makes it sound like a downhiller, but this thing climbs far better then my old full-sus Marin, with less bob & more kick in or out of the saddle.

For me it was the design that sold it first(and the reviews!), things like a forwrd facing seat tube slot, full length seattube, low standover, shock out of the way of dirt & high swingarm (no problems with chainsuck) are all things I was looking for and this bike fits it all into a well designed, beautifully made frame.

Ellsworth's customer service deserves a mention as whenever I have had a question, they have replied real quick - before and after I brought the bike.

I was concerned about buying my Isis as I couldn't ride one 1st - I'm sooo pleased I did because it is as good as people say...

Favorite Trail:   Prison run

Purchased At:   Freeborn (UK)

Similar Products Used:   Marin, Sintesi

Bike Setup:   Easton bars & Post, Marzocchi MXC ECC, Fox air shock, Hope hubs & X517s, Deore trans.

Submitted by AL HISCOCK a Cross Country Rider from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    STURDY, WELL MADE FRAME THAT LOOKS AS CAPABLE AS IT ACTUALLY IS. WEIGHT ISN'T A PROBLEM AS IT ISN'T HEAVY.

Weaknesses:    I GOT THE "L" AND WISH I'D SPENT THE EXTRA FEW QUID AND GOT THE SHOT PEENED "SL". THE BIKE STILL LOOKS GREAT EVEN AFTER NEARLY 6 MONTHS OF HARDCORE RIDING, BUT PAINT IS SPOILT IN AREAS AND THE SHOT PEENED, I THINK, WOULD COPE BETTER AND REDUCES BIKE WEIGHT A BIT.

Bottom Line:
    THE BIKE IS SET UP WITH 240PSI IN FOX FLOAT R AND 40-45 PSI IN FORKS. I AM 6'2", 90Kgs AND HAVE FOUND THIS SET UP BEST FOR ME.
    VERY REASSURING RIDE AS SOON AS YOU GET ON IT. EVERY ONE WHO HAS TRIED IT SAYS "IT FEELS RIGHT". THE BIKE IS RIGHT, I WOULD LIKE TO FAULT IT, BUT FOR THE RIDE, I CANT. IT DOES EVERYTHING YOU WANT, GOES WHERE YOU WANT. CLIMBS FINE, BOBS A BIT BUT NOTHING TO GET CONCERNED ABOUT. DOWNHILL IT IS VERY FAST AND HANDLES ANYTHING IN THE WAY. XC IS A TOTAL PLEASURE. FITTING THE HOPE MINIS MADE MY GRIN EVEN WIDER, THE BIKE DOES THE JOB VERY WELL IN ALL ASPECTS.
    IF YOU ARE BUYING ONE, A GOOD CHOICE BUT GET THE SHOT PEENED ONE.

Favorite Trail:   NORTH YORK MOORS

Purchased At:   FREEBORN (UK)

Similar Products Used:   LOOKED AT MARINS, SANTA CRUZ - NO REGRETS WITH THE DECISION I MADE - THE BIKE IS VERY, VERY GOOD

Bike Setup:   LARGE FRAME WITH XT GROUPSET, HOPE MINI DISCS(SUPERB), MARZOCCHI MXC FORKS, MAVIC 321 DISK RIMS

Submitted by Atle Kleiven from KR Sand

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    Simple design, no bob, nice finish, easy maintainance, long wheelbase, good customerservice, +++

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    4" travel in the front and 4" is perfect for the agressive XC racer who likes riding in the woods. The Isis SL frame has a very nice finish, and there is no siginificant bob when pedaling (actually nothing more than on my old GIANT XIC Team). Frame looks strong and is fairly light, and it is really plush when riding over roots and rocks. I will use this bike for a lot of years if its's possible.. The long wheelbase on the 17" size, makse the bike ride safe on downhills, and the bike is also good when the trail gets twisty. All in all; the best XC/light freeride bike I have had (and I have had a lot:lokk at http://www.terrengsykkel.com/MEG_SELV.HTM

Favorite Trail:   Voie Freeride løype