Ellsworth ID 2002 Full Suspension

• Compatible with up to 6" travel forks

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by CLIFF ID a Weekend Warrior from SANTA CALRA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Great design and excellent welds. Great suspension design with anodized finish should last for years. I like the pivots with sealed bearings.

Weaknesses:    Terrible rear cable routing. Very bad rear disc mount design on 01 models seatstays as you can't use Hayes mounts w/o modifcations/special adaptors. I ended up with Avid Juicy 185mm with a lot of shaving/grinding of the adaptor plus a washer on the mounting bolts to get clearance...a nightmare. Reading in other reviews a weak seatstay and Ellsworth has replacement upgrade for a moderate cost. Rear deraillar hanger setup not the best. Steep and hefty price/dealers that think the product will sell themselves and are finicky about giving you service after purchase.

Bottom Line:
    Bottomline: This bike is great, alittle bobbing on the ride but I'm still in the setup cycle. Romic shock in the rear is the best with a Fox Vanilla setup. Looks and feels very solid and should last for years. My only complaint is I think Ellsworth should exchange the 01 rear seatstays for free and give a better warranty service for a frame only that cost almost $2500 new.

Favorite Trail:   none

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR/Stinky/Blur LT

Bike Setup:   17 2002 ID with 01 stamped left rear dropout/Juicy 185mm/Raceface Evolve XC triple/ Fox Vanilla RLC/FSA bars/stem/headset /x7/x9(shifter/der)/XT wheelset

Submitted by Dave Pirog a Cross Country Rider from North Brunswick, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent craftsmenship, unbelivable ride, scratch-resistant finish, very little "bob" while peddeling, excellent service.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing is inconvient. And this bike is a tad expensive.

Bottom Line:
    If you can justify the cost of one of these it will be the best bike you have ever ridden. This is an all mountain machine that is not afraid to climb up or bomb down anything. The suspension stays active and it climbs like a cross country racer. If you want to elevate your entire mountain biking experience GET ONE OF THESE!! This is not the lightest bike but unless you are a feather weight you will never notice. Hands down the best bike I have ever ridden

Favorite Trail:   the one not paved

Purchased At:   Galyan's Trading Company

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Pipeline, Santa Cruz Blur/ Superlight, Iron Horse Hollow Point, and various hardtails

Bike Setup:   17" Red Anodized Frame. Romic Shock with 600# spring. '04 Z1 Bomber SL (130mm travel) Cane Creek Wheels, Race Face Cranks/ Bottom Bracket. SRAM X.0 shifters and rear der. XT front der. Avid Ball Bearing 185mm disc brakes. Tompson Elite Stem/ Seatpost. Cane Creek Headset. Johnny T Kenda Tires. Answer pro-taper bars. Crank bros peddles.

Submitted by mike z a Cross Country Rider from mammoth, ca

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    solid and stable, very light, climbs like a dream. I got the ID with top of the line components. I never new a bike could ride so smooth. I have always hated strange noises coming from my bike. All I hear from this bike is that clean sound of the chain spinning through the derailer. It is a beautiful thing.

Weaknesses:    I have not found one yet.

Bottom Line:
    on my first test ride I was going down slopes that I was scared to on my old bike. the stability is increadable. I am still getting in shape since the snow is still melting here and I can already climb better on this bike than ever before. I am thankful that I am in a position in my life to be able to afford a bike of this quality. I always wanted to get the best but never new it would be this fun. Any one who enjoys this sport should, at least once while still able to physically apriciate it, get one of these bikes.

Purchased At:   richardsbicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   specialized fsr. specialized "s" works m5.

Bike Setup:   richardsbicycles.com was great. My bike arrived perfectly in 3 days. talk to mike richards and let him help you chose the bike size and best componets for you. they did me right.

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Niguel

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Read the other reviews. They are all telling the truth as I see it. I think the early-dated guy was in a bad mood...

This bike does everything you can want for a heavy duty all mountain bike. I weigh ~ 205lbs and have thrashed this bike for 1 year now, starting with a 4 day trip to Moab including Porcupine Rim, Amassa Back, Spring Racecourse Loop and Slickrock Trail. The design was reportedly inspired by Tony Ellsworth's rides at Moab and the great handling, travel, lightness and high BB all fit that terrain very well.

After about 450 miles horizontal and 77,000 ft vertical later, the Id still keeps impressing me. It climbs like there is a winch drum attached to your crank set, relentlessly tugging you up any terrain, as long as you can twist the cranks around. No sensible bobing, no fussing. Downhill you can either choose the point-and-shoot method actoss the "tops" of the bad stuff, or use the nimble handling to fast-weave the good line between the nasties. Go ahead and take to the air anytime things get too wierd, and you will be rewarded by an uneventful, hooked-up landing ready for the next move. You can get lighter XC bikes, but not with the travel/design/features of the Id, and if you do not weigh 150lb, you may also break them 20 miles from nowhere. Even XC bikes are heavy when they are carried.

The Romic shock is sweet for this type of bike. 6 clicks in from wide open for climbing steadiness, 3 clicks in for downhill suppleness and washboard immunity. Ti spring for 1/2lb weight reduction if you still have $200 laying around. I would also recommend disc brakes for this class of bike. The added braking capability will allow you to really use the framset to it's potential.

Weaknesses:    You will be poor after buying this bike. You will probably not be able to ride a lesser bike and be happy. You will not be able to go into the bike store and drool over some other frameset. Your friends may think you are now a bike snob.

I cannot say much about the Ellsworth warranty, as I have not needed it, and the only thing better than a good warranty is a good product (or both). Maybe I should have put this in the strengths section...?

Bottom Line:
    The bike gets better everytime you ride it. I have hammered it. It has not hammered back. It just seems to become transparent under you, and you really just think your way down the trail. The bike just seems to takes your "big picture" wishes and works out all of the small details for you (like maintaining traction off camber, over washboard, while under braking...)

So nice...

Purchased At:   The Bike Co., Then some upgrades...

Similar Products Used:   Many spins on buddies bikes, most recently my old GT Idrive. Ridden various stuff & things since a a Redline parts bike and a Mongoose Moose bombing fire roads in the Hollywood hills and central California in the late '70's.

Based on buddies bikes, I would say the Santa Cruz Blur is the closest thing I have seen.

Bike Setup:   Gold Ano. frame, Romic shock, Dave's Speed Dream Aeroheat wheel set, King ISO hubs, King headset, 7" Avid mech's, Fox Vanilla 125RLC, 8 speed XTR F&R (I like the stability of adjustments...), Race Face Next LP Crankset, Rings and BB, Shimano 525 pedals, Easton EA70 riser bars, Salsa skewers, WTB Power-V saddle (AKA the BarcoLounger)...

Submitted by mike hall a Cross Country Rider from aliso viejo ca., usa

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    beefy construction,the suspension linkage (how it works) and the geometry

Weaknesses:    none to speak of. I've heard of people comlaining about the bb being a little high.? I think they are the ones that are a little high. More clearance? BRING IT ON. tight turns at slow speed? The rider can handle. The bike is way to nuetral to actually feel some sort of center of gravity issue.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is the bomb. I did a 2yr search, spec'ed them out, test rode them all. When all was said and done the ID was the one that had it all. You sit nuetral on the bike, not "in" or "behind" the bike, there's none of that sloshy goosh of excess travel gone wild or that I need to pedal hard to get on top of it feeling. At speed you can either drive the bike hard or just hang on. The bike feels nimble and quick but ooooo so stable. Going dh is rock solid and predictable and it will air out. Climbing is a dream. The linkage combined with the romic allows you to climb anything your fitness will allow. It doesn't bob wallow or wander, it merely hooks up. Riding along you feel as if you have 2" of travel rather than 6" because the pedaling dynamics are so dialed. THE BOMB.I have ridden for the cycle. Fully rigid, frt susp h/t, fullsusp, big frt susp h/t,full susp. I've gone 2-12 hrs on the bike, steep&deep,rolly & twisty, nasty&sweet. This is the bike that will free your mind.

Favorite Trail:   da full shredder

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   turner,cycle werks,kona,rocky mt,gt,intense

Bike Setup:   zokie qr20,1.5 risers,sun rhyno lites,2.4's,hayesf/r 8",raceface,chris king,xtr,romic

Submitted by Timothy Freund a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    remarkable pedaling efficiency, high bottom bracket

Weaknesses:    slack head angle

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow up to an earlier review at the 1 month stage. This bike is everthing you could want. The main thing you have to ask yourself is, what type of riding are you doing? If you are really bombing hard, it probably is not heavy enough for you. And if you are a pure cross country rider, you probably want the Truth. But if you are like me, an XC guy that likes a plush ride on a good downhill, this bike is the ticket. It pedals better than anything. It responds like a hard tail. You pedal, it goes. There's no hesitation or wasted effort. As I said in my first review, the slack head angle makes the bike tend to pull up too much on the front, but I have learned to compensate by keeping my chest low, elbows out, and ass in the air...wait that's how your suppossed to ride! It does it all and really is the rock star on the trail. Few people have them so they turn their share of heads. Hell, for $4-5000, let's be honest, it's not just about the ride. One last thing; I broke the bolt holding the Romic shock, and Ellsworth sent me both the top and bottom bolt for free without any hassle, they've been great to deal with.

Favorite Trail:   Dead Cow/Suicide/Backbone

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   GT iDrive

Bike Setup:   125 mm Fox RLC, Chris King hubs and head set, Monkey lite bars, Thompson seat post, Serfas Ti seat, XTR except: XT Cog set, Race Face Cranks and rings, Hayes hydrolic, Mavic 317, 957's

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from State College PA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Strengths:    extremely efficient pedaling. Lightweight. Beautiful.

Weaknesses:    may cause inability to ever ride a lesser bike ever again

Bottom Line:
    This bike is simply the coolest thing I've ever blown all my money on. I'm giving it 5 chillis for value because it is worth every dime you will spend, and once you buy a bike like the ID, you can't nickel and dime the componentry. Do yourself a favor, go buy one.

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   none this cool

Bike Setup:   XT derailuers and shifters, Truvativ firex cranks, Atomlab Aircorps rims laced to hayes superlight hubs, thomson elite post, hayes comp brakes, king headset, planet-x stem, profile designs tenacious-d bars, Marzocchi Z.1 FR SL, Romic twin tube rear shock.

Submitted by z z a Downhiller from Mill Valley Ca

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    Great for every thing, you can ride urban, cross country, and downhill in the same day. This bike will handle alot more than what everybody says, it han handle 8 foot roof drops to flat, 51/2 hour cross country rides, and dh courses. Great bike, glad i chose it over the bullit. The ID is light and strong, thats why its great.

Weaknesses:    the triagle pivot arm in the back suspension, and the small amount of play in the pivots. The head toob angle, you cant fit a double crown fork without messing up the angles.

Bottom Line:
    Fantastic bike for all around, handles everything.

Favorite Trail:   zig zag, indian fire trail

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   stinky dee-lux, giant ac air

Bike Setup:   red Id, fox fork 125 rl (soon to have the new z1 6"), mavic D 321 discs, xt disc breaks 6", fox rc rear shock, chris king hubs, chris king headset, scandium risers, odi lock ons, wtb weirwolfs, xtr crankset, xtr casset, xt derailer, xtr shifters.

Submitted by John Bench a Downhiller from American Fork

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    Super smooth rear suspension. Romic has no B.O.B,makes the bike climb like an xc racer, but turn it downhill and it is buttery feeling... ShotPenned hard Ano doesn't scratch and stickers are lazer etched so they don't come off...

Weaknesses:    None so far..

Bottom Line:
    This Bike Rips... I love the ability to hang on the climbs with my buddies on their lite XC bikes and then smoke them on the downhill... I have way more confidence now with 6 inches in the back, I can do drop offs and high speed rocky sections with ease now. I have to give props to the guys at Beyondbikes.com, Super knowledgeable staff and they hooked me up on the price. Being able to watch my bike being built on their webcam was awesome!! Thanks Beyond...

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Sugar.. And Various hardtails

Bike Setup:   Fox Vannila 125 RLC..Mix of XT, RaceFace Cranks, and Thompson Parts....

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    Head-turning trail appeal, flawless welds, beautifully machined rear triangle, toughness, all-mountain capability (technical sections, climbing, fast single-track carving), and outstanding factory support and communication.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
    I've had my Id for eight months now and to simply say that "I love this bike!" would be the understatement of the century. The experience of owning this bike has been and continues to be tremendously satisfying. As an Id owner, I'd like to offer a couple of observations for those who may be interested in the bike.

First, read all you can about the Id; factual objective data as well as subjective opinion (positives and negatives), then get on one. Take it up hills, down hills, through rock gardens, pick your way through your favorite technical section, then fly through your favorite fast single track section. When the "Oh My God!" smile finally subsides, go buy one and enjoy it. It's as simple as that. Once you own it, let your friends ride it...you'll get to see what your smile looked like.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park Network

Purchased At:   Just Riding Along, Manitou Springs

Bike Setup:   Romic, Psylo SL, Hugi, 517s, Hayes, XTR, Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2, Monkey Lite Riser, Thomson, Fizik, 959s.

Submitted by fattttt a Downhiller from canada

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Strengths:    its ablility to climg drop hit smack bend turn fly balance perform sprint huck jump take my slaps and curses and on the trail and when I take her out in the town at night she dresses up so sexy for me and my frends and I dance with her all night ride hard like she loves it she never complains or embarrases me and she always comes home with me and in morning when I wake she has made biscuits and she says hey baby what you wanna do today..

Weaknesses:    I cant ride anything else she gets way to jelouse

Bottom Line:
    I cant leave her yet I think I am in love .. my wife is very jealous of her .. its the best I have owned to date

Favorite Trail:   down

Purchased At:   all round

Similar Products Used:   big hit --I drive--- stinky--- bullit---ac-1 they were all good but I only played on them not owned em..I did abuse a kelly IG for three years stiui have it

Bike Setup:   cris king ft hub & head stet Azonic stem Easton monkey lite bar XTR deraillers & cranks & rpd fire shifters 521 d in the ft sunn double trk 24 in the bk hope hub in the bk arrow racing tires

Submitted by SCOTT DAVALOS from SAN CLEMENTE,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    ability to perform in all required situations

Bottom Line:
    this bike will make a bad rider good, a good rider great, and a great rider unbelievable. i've tested just about every top bike out there and there is no bike that does more things better than this one. The guys down at Beyond Bikes are the best around, bar none. The service and knowledge of the staff is the best in the business on ellsworth's bikes

Favorite Trail:   SAN JUAN TRAIL/SO. BOUNDRY

Purchased At:   BEYOND BIKES

Similar Products Used:   truth

Bike Setup:   romic shock, 2003z1fr, chris king hubs mavic rims,conti tyres, hope mini's, thompson stem and post, easton bars, sdg saddle.

Submitted by benny from PHX, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, quality construction, plush, climbs

Weaknesses:    derailier hanger, cable routing, no iscg mounts, tire clearance, price

Bottom Line:
    good for everything from epic xc rides to dirt jumping to downhill to urban. very plush with the romic, and the frame size is perfect! (the medium should be the largest size).

to fix the derailier hanger problem. take off the rear mech and screw in the tension adjuster from the inside to increase the surface area. needs alot of tension. also this bike pretty much requires a roll-a-ma-jig for precise shifting.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Similar Products Used:   bighit, super v, dare, ac-1

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Strengths:    Beautifully constucted frame, flawless welds, intricate machining, and shot peened finish. Plush ride yet climbs like an XC bike. Good 'compromise' handling...

Weaknesses:    Tolerances on seat tube means you cant use QR, high bottom bracket, high standover, rubbish derraileur hanger, no tyre clearance when using large tyres (2.3"+), mounting issue when using Hayes brakes.

Bottom Line:
    This is a follow up to a past review. I have had the bike now for almost a year and have used it for everything from urban commuting (OK that was a waste!) to French alpine DH courses (thats more like it!).

There are no manufacturers making a long travel, lightweight trail machine of this quality. It is not a DH bike, if you bought it expecting a 6" travel freeride bike you were sold the wrong machine. It is a hardcore trail bike that allows you to hit downhills hard, but climb easily to the top. Indeed it climbs better than most other bikes over real technical stuff!

The 4 bar style linkage keeps the rear end bob free and active under sprints and hard braking. With a Romic it is plush yet controlled and offers plenty of adjustment. (My Romic leaked all its oil on the first ride and it took weeks to get a replacement. I hope their service issues have been resolved....)

It does that neat trick that quality suspension bikes accomplish where it almost feels like it isnt doing much because it does it without any fuss. You just find yourself staying seated through the rough stuff, and putting the power down over any terrain seated or standing!

So those are the good points, I do have some major reservations though and for a bike costing this much you need to beware of this prior to handing over your hard earned pennies..

The BB issue is not a design flaw, read other reviews and people either love it or loathe it. I am a bit divided on the issue as I appreciate the extra clearance but do feel it compromises the handling and stability a little for technical slow speed and singletrack stuff. I would drop it an inch.

The top tube needs to be lowered, dont care how they do it but it needs to be 2- 3" lower for a bit of confidence..

A £1899 (UK) frame should be perfect, but Ellsworth it seems had some problems with one of their subcontractors fitting the wrong size seat tubes. Result is that the post will not fit properly, you have to tighten the bolt real tight to stop any slippage and you can forget about fitting a Salsa seat clamp (the only one that fits) I have heard of riders fitting home made shims.... if they are happy with that then great. Ellsworth apparently have issued new Thomson seatposts to people with this problem. Not confirmed but if this is the case then that represents superb customer service. I will post a further review if they sort me out!

The rear mech hanger is just an awful design. Go to Speedgoat.com and get one that works. It does not allow the tension adjuster to sit flush with the surface, it is only a matter of time before mine will round off. Dont dare to adjust it for perfect shifting as it will only survive a short while longer.

The brake mounts dont allow the Hayes caliper converter to fit without filing. The store where I bought it did not file it resulting in really uneven pad wear. Extensive filing to get it to fit then led to failure of the converter. I have also suffered from an incurable resonance under certain conditions which my store will need to look at.

My last gripe is my main one in some ways... NO TYRE CLEARANCE. How can Ellsworth produce a bike with such limited clearance. For UK riders this means the bike may as well hibernate for the winter, and for riders wanting to fit 2.4" tyres, all I can say is I hope your rims are true!

All in all it is a superb bike that need to be modified in a few small but important ways to create what is one best of the new breed of do it all bikes. What other bikes will hapily do DH courses and 24hr XC in the same week!

Join the Ellsworth group at