Diamondback X-20 2002 Full Suspension

Submitted by Jake from Saratoga Springs, NY

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just in case anyone who bought this bike missed the notices, both the X-20 and the X-10 have been recalled, because apparently the frame has a tendency to break. Check the Diamondback website for more details, they will buy back your bike and give you money towards getting a new one.

Submitted by Jerry a Weekend Warrior from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, handles well on flats. Comes with good quality parts.

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket too low. Pedals scrape the road when you barely turn. Shifting is not smooth as it is.

Bottom Line:
Throw away the stock rear shock. It is garbage and it is too short (6.5"). Replace it with one that is 7.5" or better so you can have some clearance. Replace the handlebars too. I plan to replace the cranks and pedals as soon as I have the cash.

Favorite Trail:   Bakersfield

Purchased At:   Modesto

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock so far but not after I change a few things

Submitted by Mongoose a Cross Country Rider from Montrose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Has an xlnt selection of parts for this price range. I like the disc brakes and the TyrannoRapter 2.25 tires. The frame seems to be beefy too for small drops but it aint a downhill bike by any means.

Weaknesses:    Not a big fan of Suntour forks, though this is their flagship model. And I wish the frame came in an alternate color scheme.

Bottom Line:
For XC riding, this is a great bike. It handles well and has a nice plush ride. I recommend this bike to those like me, who already have hardtails and like to alternate their trail riding. I suggest changing the crankset to a Shimano Deore, XT or XTR Hollowtech and swapping out the handlebar to a lighter one as well to reduce weight. This is not a lightweight bike by any means, but for the price you can't beat it. Other FS bike brands with similiar parts will cost more, so its a nice value.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose G2

Bike Setup:   Stock except---Easton EC70 bar, XT brake levers, Deore Hollowtech crankset. Will upgrade fork as soon as my next welfare check comes in.

Submitted by Phil MaCrevice a Downhiller from LA CA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    Well, first the strengths, I like the monocoque design, the mechanical discs, the wheelset, and the big fat WTB Tires.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket is WAY too low, the swingarm is WAY too flimsy, and the suspension literally sucks!

Bottom Line:
I got on the bike and liked it. I got off it and changed the fork. I got on the bike and liked it, I got off it and changed the bars. I got on the bike and liked it, I got off the bike and changed the rear shock. I got on the bike and bunny hopped and broke the rear swingarm. I've only had the bike about 4 months and have already put $400 plus into it. I'm impressed with the bike, not with Diamondback. If they would just make their products a little better I wouldn't have to wait for warranty items i.e. a swingarm. I love the bike, after I upgraded the suspension components, it is a very plush ride that I enjoy but if it was just a little stronger I would be a little happier.

Purchased At:   Work

Bike Setup:   Psylo XC, Azonic 2" riser up front, Cane Creek AD12 in the back.

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, CT

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    -good price
-good components
-nice big fat tires

Weaknesses:    -rear shock absorbs some energy (better when I tightened it up)

Bottom Line:
I'm relatively new to mountain biking, and wanted to get a decent full suspension bike for riding trails and some downhill. So far I haven't been able to get to any trails, but I've taken it down some steps on the way to work, and it handles those fine, so I'm guessing it should handle rocks pretty well, too ;) It is heavy, but not overly so. The components are pretty good, and the frame seems solid. I'm not worried about breaking anything like I did on my old bike (Raleigh something). For the price (I got a bargain-$550), it's a great bike. I can't wait till next year at college. Trails right off campus...

I'll post an update later when I've run it on more trails.

If you could find it at the price I did, it would have 5 chilis, but it seems like most people are getting it for around $700, so its getting 4.

Purchased At:   Smart Cycles

Bike Setup:   how I got it from the shop

Submitted by Liz from Spokane, WA USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable ride with dual suspension, descends well on all terrain types, climbs good, for price-good components and disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Heavier weight (approximately 31 lbs)

Bottom Line:
I am a beginner mountain biker. For the money and my limited experience, this is a really good bike. It has made my learning experience a great one! A comfortable ride which takes the rocks, climbs the hills and descends easily through all types of terrain. Even though it is a little on the heavy side, the positives certainly counteract the 31 lbs. For the 1st time I am riding a bike that I love. My husband is happy that I am craving more rides vs. whining about my sore butt and thrashed body from taking all the bumps (thanks to the dual suspension). I highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bowl & Pitcher-Riverside State Park

Purchased At:   Wheel Sport-Sullivan

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Andrew Royce a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Bike Decends great, real smooth, and fast. great feel all around, well balanced.

Weaknesses:    Ive only had this bike for about a week. so far im not impressed with the suspension, its all over the place. it will work great on dowhills, but then way to stiff on hardpack trails, and pogos everywhere. however for what i paid, it was expected. shifting is not real great, rather,
noisy.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. i bought it as an inexpensive full suspension bike to dabble in and try out some downhill racing. i am already looking for suspension upgrades.

Purchased At:   Norms Bike and Ski Shop