Devinci Dragonfly 2002 Full Suspension

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by jhon flim a Weekend Warrior from ohio

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    everything but it wasn't worthe 9054

Weaknesses:    nothin really

Bottom Line:
this i a great bike for the fun stuff grat for everything the seat is comfy with my coustom made shox i have 13" of travel it is alsome but the cost was pretty espensive i paid $800 but they work great. the rims are unbrekable i haven't even bend then once.

Favorite Trail:   grim

Purchased At:   some cheat place

Similar Products Used:   giant warp

Bike Setup:   rst 980 custom made, rocky mountain hand made rims

Submitted by Brian Tiessen a Racer from Windsor, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2003

Strengths:    All round kick ass FS XC bike. Fromer hard tail rider that well never go back to a hard tail after riding this bike.

Weaknesses:    Get rid off the XC straight bar.

Bottom Line:
Great price for what you get. If you are from the United States buy it from a bike shop in Canada were your dollar is
worth 50 %more.

Favorite Trail:   Highland Rec Area, Highland MI

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 1

Bike Setup:   As speced out with Answer Carbon Riser bar.

Submitted by Martin Gagnon a Cross Country Rider from Beloeil, QC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Strengths:    Incredible ride. I was expecting to buy a new bike next year, but actual bike suspsension broke, so I decided to invest in a new bike. I was looking hardtail again, but choice is limited at the end of season. Friend at Bikeshop propose me the last small 2002 Dragonfly available at the factory, at a end-season killer deal. I do not want to ride anything elsse than this bike now. Quick handling, relatively light, suspension easily tuneable, and the match of suspension with tubeless make it flies over trail. I'm the same guy, same level of fitness, and it cut 10-15% of almost every rides. I had FS bikes in the first year, and I went back to hardtail due reliability, but it is now different story, no more HT for me. Thank you Devinci, you did your homework and you deliver efficient bikes.

Weaknesses:    In general, only one. The way the swingarm is design make almost impossible to put the rear shox in a position where you can easily activate lockout, and have access to air vavle to adjust it. Easy lockout access = no adjustement of air pressure without dismounting. Easy Access to air pressure valve = no easy access to lock-out lever. I saw 2003 model and I think they address this issue.
On small size frame (I'm 5,6"), there is 2 others things (corrected on 2003 model too) which is the stem (10 degrees instead of 0) and saetpost (more offset). Most of the people of my size, to be comfortable will have to have the handlebar higher (if you don't want to habe big back pain for ride of 2 hours of more), and the to adjust the saddle properly, it is push totally back (the offest of the Titec seatpost is only 0.5". 1" is what would have be the best. These 2 problems could be corrected easily, but more hour in the saddle during pre-production test (on a small frame by a small people) cwould have detected that quickly.

Bottom Line:
New problem: I want to ride it more and more, I'm planning more time on the saddle than ever next summer.

Favorite Trail:   Backcountry of Charlevoix and Bromont

Purchased At:   Velomania

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Sugar 2, 2+

Bike Setup:   As sold, seatpost and stem will be replaced.

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2002

Strengths:    Increadible ride...climbs like bikes twice the price on the tubeless.
No bob, and handles great on the down hill single track too.
Steering is very responsive.

Weaknesses:    No disk mount on the rear stay...but who needs disks with the Avid's it's got?

Bottom Line:
Great bike...Hard pressed to find anything close for the price. Devinci is doing their homework....they are putting out some awesome bikes these days. Why do i not see more on the trails?
If you love XC...and are in the market...check it out.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest Center

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bay Cycle Pickering

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS Air

Bike Setup:   Bought it as Devinci built it...nothing to complain about in the component department

Submitted by Josh Dupuis a Cross Country Rider from Hooksett

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Strengths:    Light feel and a great climber

Weaknesses:    Handle bar was to narrow for me, but overall it was a very well set up bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a treat to ride, handling and acceleration was unlike any other dual suspension bikes ive tried. I really like the tubeless setup and the drive train set up was flawless. Canada is starting to show us yanks how to build bikes that can take abuse without the heavy cost. I like this bike

Favorite Trail:   one mile trail / Bear Brook

Purchased At:   Alternative Bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS1

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Verplanck, NY

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Great seat, excellent Brakes (even though I like disc better, they worked very well), rear suspension performed flawlessly, did not notice any bobbing while pedaling uphill.

Weaknesses:    Front suspension was a little soft, but nothing that couldn't be adjusted out. Reach to the bars was a little short for me, so I'd want a longer stem.

Bottom Line:
Giving very serious consideration to purchasing one of DeVinci's bikes. Products are top notch.

Favorite Trail:   Bald Mountain

Purchased At:   Tested at E/T Cycle

Submitted by Jordon Standeven a Racer from Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Strengths:    amazing ride, i put it togeather at the bike shop and took her for a spin outside, all i can say is that i want it

Weaknesses:    isnt one

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that devinci bikes are amazing! i had 4 and im gonna keep buying them, frames are amazing and the price is even better, go Devenci or go waste your money

Favorite Trail:   highland lake