Cannondale Super V 500 2002 Full Suspension

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Katrolis a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    Great quality, lifetime frame, decent stock components, lightweight and durable

Weaknesses:    Can't lockout rear shock for hills with stock shock
Frame design doesn't fit some styles of bike carriers
The seat isn't the best for long rides

Bottom Line:
I bought mine new in 1998 and have owned it since. The only thing I've replaced are tires, chain, and brake pads. Shifts are still crisp, although I've had to adjust for cable stretch over the last decade. The brakes work great and the gearing has a super low for going up the hills. After owning this bike for 11 years I've never needed anything different. I'd like a lockout for the rear suspension for hill climbs though. The suspension and frame are tough, and handles my 170 lbs great without bottoming out. I get alot of compliments on my oldie-but-goody, it still looks pretty darn good for it's age and use. There's probably 3,500 miles on it by now. I ride it to work occasionally to save gas, 5 miles one way, no sweat... I like this bike and don't see any reason to buy new, unless it's just to impress my friends or to have the ego trip of showing off the latest & greatest. But I ride a Hayabusa for that, lol. ;-)

Favorite Trail:   Jewel Basin, Bigfork, MT

Purchased At:   Kalispell Sportsman

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Huffy, Big-Wheel

Bike Setup:   Stock with shoe-clip pedals

Submitted by Sais1 a Weekend Warrior from Pueblo, CO. 81005

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2008

Strengths:    Definitely the frame design. The thickness along with the design make it a unique and strong bike to ride.

Weaknesses:    I have not encourred any major problems

Bottom Line:
I have done everything possible on the bike and it has handled everything I could dish out.

Favorite Trail:   Westminster

Purchased At:   Private Owner

Bike Setup:   superV 500 frame, Bighead shox, shimano brakes, and coda cranks, seat, and handlebars.

Submitted by Andre a Weekend Warrior from Johannesburg

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    In silver it is a stunning bike that rides like a dream - good components and a real eye-catcher.

Weaknesses:    None that i could ascertain. Seat is not as good as the rest of the bike, but still okay.

Bottom Line:
My first soft-tail, what a difference! You've got to love that Cannondale feeling and plushness of the Headshok, combined with the Fox air at the back.

Purchased At:   Secondhand but like brand new

Similar Products Used:   Hard-tails only before this one.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Shimano SPD pedals.

Submitted by Ozzy Morgan a Weekend Warrior from Oxford, U.K

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Strengths:    ridiculously light, absolutely blasts trails, beats bikes twice its cost new and then some, has fattest downtube ever made- looks like cannon, FLYS LIKE A BUTTERFLY STINGS LIKE A BEE. incredible for starting at all mountain as it can either go cross country or light downhill.

Weaknesses:    the back shock bounces a bit.

Bottom Line:
it is a ridiculously light, agile bike which makes any biking an absolute ball, nothing beats it for shear fun factor. excellent for anyone starting out into mountain biking and a true all rounder. only let down is the back shock which can get a bit bouncy at times. headshock plush as they come. any1 who complains about bottoming out either needs to adjust it or needs to work out a bit more. a superb bike in every respect.

Favorite Trail:   LES GETTES, FRANCE

Similar Products Used:   giant vt2 and cannondale prophet

Bike Setup:   Hope mono mini discs, (sexiest discs ever made) v8 pedals for jumping and downhill, spds for x country. carbon riser bars

Submitted by Cameron a Racer from Dublin

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    Extemly light and agile.
Shifts faster than anything I've ever used.

Weaknesses:    Headshok is hard to adjust.
Shifter falls out of place fairly easily.
Seems slightly pricey

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price and is agile enough for simple trials , road racing and hardcore mountain biking. It is an extemly aggressive bike that has stood up to everything that I and my friends can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere that is a little challenging

Purchased At:   Tri City Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh MTB

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Ridgefield CT USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    great bike....solid...fun to ride and easy to maintain...great for cross country/light freeriding

Weaknesses:    none....anyone that complains about the shock bottoming out either weighs 500 lbs or is not compitent enough to adjust the shock to a tighter setting

Bottom Line:
This bike rules and is so much fun to ride....i havent had any problems at all other than a few flat tires....but thats my fault...i havent had to upgrade anything but i might put on new pdals at some point

EVERYTHING U COULD ASK FOR IN AN INEXPENSIVE BEGGINING FULLSUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKE

Favorite Trail:   wilton town forest

Similar Products Used:   trek 600, rocky mountain hardtails

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Scott B a Weekend Warrior from Solon, Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Strengths:    The rear Fox shock rides like a Cadillac. The bike shifts on the money and the fact that the bike is so light it seems like you could ride forever.

Weaknesses:    The brakes wore out rather early on my bike, or maybe I just took her out too much. Head shock is rather stiff, thinking about getting a new one.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line about this bike is that it's a great bike to learn and grow on. It's not for the professional rider but anyone who enjoys riding bicycles would love to take a seat atop this bike. I got an incredibly cheap deal on the bike because my buddy moved away for college and he needed some quick cash.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom trails

Purchased At:   From my buddy

Similar Products Used:   Schwin S20
Trek 800

Bike Setup:   Custom paint job
Shimano disc brakes

Submitted by J_Rit a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    excellent ride...lots of fun and can handle all tough terrain...comfortable and tough

Weaknesses:    front shock...bottoms out easily....should be replaced

Bottom Line:
ok...basically...i think this bike kicks ass...everything about it is great except the shock...which really does suck....so replace the shock with a new fork(you will need an adapter) and ur good to go....pick one up. its worth it

Favorite Trail:   wilton town forest

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Fred from santa cruse Ca USA USA USA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    I got ripped by those d@mn indians down the street once again. I can do 18 footers with my upgrades. I way 84 lbs.

Weaknesses:    It is way too friggin light

Bottom Line:
This is all a bunch of bull $hit so...
You should by this bike if you are looking for your first full suspension mtb. Its a lot of bang for the buck and its light too. Its a good idea to get a different spring rate if you don't weigh much. The coil shock is good for drops and it is low maintence. I love the bike. I really only paid 1000 bucks.

Purchased At:   garage sale

Bike Setup:   Avalanch extension shock
Risse Big Foot

Submitted by mpd a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Great bike

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals are the "cage" variety...and I may possibly get a better seat sometime down the road. Nothing major though.

Bottom Line:
I love it...

The Full Suspension rides very very well. The bike is lightweight, has high quality shifters/derailers, and comes with excellent V-pull brakes. Low maintenance so far! No problems yet!

This is my first full suspension mountain bike, and it does a great job helping with roots, logs, drops/curbs, etc. The great lower gears make short work of hills. Shifts smoothly and quickly.

No air shocks or disk brakes or anything really fancy, but a good workhorse that is a blast to ride. Does well around the subdivisions as well as on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Bike Setup:   Shimano SPD PM-M424's, Specialized Sport Computer, and my friend the Camelback :)

Submitted by JMP a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Strengths:    Good bike for the value for an entry level rider looking to progress

Weaknesses:    Many problems, Replaced the rear shock, rear triangle, rear hub and rim all in first 6 mo of use.

Bottom Line:
This was a great bike to learn more about biking and test your skills. The only major draw is the amount of repairs that have went into it, and the front shock needs more travel. Other wise it is a great bike for the money and you get a full suspension. If my local shop wouldn't have take care of the repairs then the product would be closer to marshmallow status.....

Favorite Trail:   Many