Cannondale Scalpel Team Replica 2002 Full Suspension

4.76/5 (21 Reviews)

Submitted by Oliver a Cross Country Rider from Brownsville, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight. Good Handling.

Weaknesses:    Chain slips off chain ring when pushing hard up steep inclines.

Bottom Line:
I had a severe skipping problem when cranking up hill. I have been in contact with Cannondale for 2 years trying to fix the problem. After switching out the chainrings, cogs, rear derailleur, the rear triangle and finally, the frame, I still had the same problem. Finally figured out that it is the SI crank. Cannondale sent me a 2000 frame and I put on an XTR crank and the problem was solved. Now I really love the bike. The SI crank may be good for light weight riders, but is too flexy for us heavier folk!

Purchased At:   Bicycle World of Brownsville

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel 2000

Bike Setup:   was stock - now, have switched frames to the 2000 version with XTR bottem bracket and crank

Submitted by Tom Fitzpatrick a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight (24 lbs on the store scale); good fit & standover clearance (medium frame, I'm 5"9"); Marta discs; Lefty "fork"; 29-tooth chainring (at least for the trail I test-rode the bike on); tubeless tires; did I mention lightweight?

Weaknesses:    Coda saddles are awful; blue & white paint job (I really like polished alloy Cannondale frames); 29-tooth small chainring for most trails in the Pacific Northwest (I need a REAL granny gear!). The 1.9 front tire felt a little skittish at times, and it was quite dry when I rode; I think something more meaty would help in this part of the US.

Bottom Line:
I was really impressed with this bike; I thought I'd miss having a lower granny gear but at least on the trails I rode (no really huge climbs), the 29-tooth small ring was perfect. I think the combo of light weight and the tubeless tires made the bike feel like a rocket. The Lefty felt much smoother than my '01 'Zoke X-fly (both forks have same 100 mm travel). Although the rear end has about 1 inch less travel than my Instinct and a little smaller tire (1.9 vs 2.1) it felt just as plush. I weigh 210; I put about 150 psi in the fork, and played with the rear shock until I had 5mm of static sag; everything seemed to work just fine. Maybe not for everybody (I'd worry about drops over a couple feet or too many long, fast pounding descents) but a very sweet ride for the right person (light, or strictly XC riding and racing); highly recommended! Can't give 5 flamers for value because it's so expensive, but this bike makes me wish I had the $5K to spare....

Favorite Trail:   ACFL

Purchased At:   Gregg's

Similar Products Used:   I've owned a Rocky Mtn Instinct for 2 years.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton Monkey-lite riser bar.

Submitted by Andrew W a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield, Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    I actually own the 3000 but hey...
This bike is awsome, tried loads when I was replacing my Marin but this won hands down. Light, Forgiving, Sharp, Well put together

Weaknesses:    Seatpost - seriously thats it - and only then 'cos its not Carbon!

Bottom Line:
Fantastic climber with sharp tracking. It steers like a dream and goes wherever you point it...
Downhills are great with just enough sus to keep you on track without being OTT.
This bike really re-energised my riding..

Favorite Trail:   Jacobs Ladder, Yorkshire

Similar Products Used:   Numerous

Bike Setup:   Standard with new seatpost (eastern)

Submitted by Erik a Racer from Mahopac

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Great top tube length. Excellent shock absorbing both front and back. Nice bike to ride in general

Weaknesses:    This bike shifts like $hit. The top pulley hits the cassette in the 34 and 30. I even contacted Cannondale - and the product engineers blamed the Shimano deraileur design! Total BS. Fix this problem and they have a great bike - otherwise I would not buy another. Skips like crazy when pushing up the hills (Even with a new cassette & chain)

Bottom Line:
Dont buy it unless you like shifting problems

Favorite Trail:   Ninham Park

Purchased At:   CT

Bike Setup:   Stock Scalpel 2000

Submitted by Andrew Silcock a Cross Country Rider from Old, Northants, UK

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Super sharp steering, incredibly light for full susser, silky smooth ride, takes the bumps like it has a lot more than 63mm rear travel

Weaknesses:    I didn't like the factory spec so went for a custom build.

Bottom Line:
Dreambike spec @ dreambike price but if it lasts like my old Rockhopper I'll be happy. Razor sharp tracking & silky smooth handling. Incredibly light and it doesn't feel as though strength has been compromised. It imspires the confidence in me to ride faster in all conditions. Uphill it's like a rat up a drainpipe provided you lock out the rear....and that new Ritchey rubber is sticky, sticky, sticky!

Favorite Trail:   Quantocks

Purchased At:   Ricci

Similar Products Used:   My old Rockhopper hardtail has done me proud for 7 years & I didn't think I would ever go for full suspension until I sat on a Scalpel....then picked it up & found it was lighter!!

Bike Setup:   Scalpel, carbon Lefty, Spinergy Xyclones, Ritchey Excavaders, Hope Mini, Easton Monkeylite, SRAM XO rear mech/shifter, XTR/Proshift front shifter/mech, Middleburn RS8 & slickshift rings, eggbeaters

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Europe

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very sharp handling - light weight (with some tweaks) - for now the perfect FS XC racing bike...until something better comes along.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is very cumbersome to remove for service. The white Teflon bushings/washers between the shock linkage and frame require regular replacement, every four months or so with frequent use of the bike (4-5 days a week).

Bottom Line:
It takes some experience until you get the suspension properly set-up. After that the bike handles like an XC racer's dream. It allows you to go faster than you're used to on a hard tail over rougher single track. Don't expect any plushness from the suspension. It's only there to optimize speed and the contact of the tires to the terrain. Truly race orientated.

For further comments I refer to the very first post below. Tom pretty much said it all.

(only 3 chilis for value due to the price in Europe...$7000 retail...common' that's just too high in comparison to US pricing)

Submitted by Jerry Daniels a Weekend Warrior from Fruita, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    My friends Angry Man, Hemo the Magnificent, and Lee Bridgers, who used to know Frank Zappa, strongly recommend this bike, so that's all I need to know.

Weaknesses:    The guys above say there is nothing wrong with it, so it must be ok.

Bottom Line:
First of all, please don't let anyone on the usenet discussion group Alt. Mountain-bike know about this. I really do like Cannondales, but I have to pretend not to like. I've never actually even swung a leg over one, but they look cool, and as I stated above, my friends think it's cool, so that's all that matters. As you can see from above, I've owned some pretty elite bikes, so I'm hoping if I continue to pretend to be a good father (when in reality biking comes before anything in my life) that maybe I can slip out of some child support. Those Cannondales are expensive you know! I'll really have to put in some long extra hours at the 911 call center, but like I said, nothing comes before biking in my life, so it's off to work I go, and when it comes to being a father, I put on a good show!

Now shut up and ride!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail that's easy enough to make me look like I am a skilled rider!

Purchased At:   Over the Edge Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 1, Trek Fuel 100, Santa Cruz Superlight, Kona Kink Kikapu.

Bike Setup:   I'm turning it into a single speed.

Submitted by Michael Cranwell a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Stiff!
This bike loves to climb and it slices through fast single track.
Left Cardon tracks amazingly well and the Marta brakes are the best I've ever used.

Weaknesses:    Had a couple minor problems with "pops" & "squeaks" in the rear suspension when the bike was new. I've since solved the problem and now have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
This bike loves to be raced and pushed hard. The Lefty Carbon is a very forgiving fork and has saved my butt on more than one occasion [particulary doing night laps at 24 hour events].
I don't think this bike is for everyone - due in part to the price, and the fact that most riders today seem to be looking for more travel in the rear [you don't need it!]
It's ideal if you race or if you appreciate fast single track and epic cross country rides.
Love then or hate them, you've got to appreciate Cannondale for once again pushing the technology envelope with the EPO rear and the Lefty up front. Awesome Ride!

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Duke's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Have tested just about everything comparable [Specialized M4, SantaCruz Superlight, Trek Fuel, Sugar 1] - this was my final choice.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the following:
- Pedals, Speedplay Frogs
- Tires, Continental Twister Pros

Submitted by Tim a Racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 ( review here cause there isn't one for the 3000)

-Very light weight
-front electronic lockout (ELO)
-Lefty Carbon
-great handling
-well balanced
-perfect for XC racers
-love the anodized black frame
-and the Magura Martas are INSANELY AMAZING

Weaknesses:    little bit of problems with the mavic X3.0, due to bad tuning from shop. other then that, the bike is a gem, and it totally kicks ass

Bottom Line:
The absolute best bike i have ever ridden in my life. The scalpel is light as a feather, it turns on a dime. Hills are a breeze with the ELO and Fox Float RLC. Downhill descents are amazing thanks to the 4.0" travel Lefty.

For XC racers or just even riders that love fast technical single track, this is the bike for you. My placing in races has been incredible because i can attack single track and blow any one away without any trouble at all. The name says everything because it is the cutting edge of lightweight design, and it cuts up single track with precision.

A little bit on the hefty price range, but if you really love biking, then this is "cats ass of XC riding". There isn't anything it wont handle, with the exception of downhilling and freeriding.

I can only say positive stuff about this bike, because thats all there is. And for those of you out that that already have this bike, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Ridges

Purchased At:   Dukes Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Thin Blue Line Ozone Pro.

Bike Setup:   Stock Scalpel 3000 except for Time Carbon pedals and Amoeba Downhill Riser bar.

Submitted by Mark from Ridgefield, CT

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, perfect amount of travel for cross country use, razor (scalpel) sharp handling

Weaknesses:    ? So far, so very, very good (knock on wood). Somewhat expensive, I guess, but everything else comparable is too. The 3000 model provides good bang for the $

Bottom Line:
This is an update on an original review posted in the Scalpel 2000 section. My bike is the black ano. 3000 model, basically the same as team, but with triple crankset and XT front der. The more time I spend on this, the more I love it for the fast technical riding I do. This is not a bike for freeriders-it weighs next to nothing, and flies up hills. Consequently, it is not made for big drops, chutes, etc. but does like air time; very 'flickable' over the slightest bumps-jump mine like a a skier from trail section to trail section. Amount of travel is just enough-don't miss the extra 'monkey motion' of longer travel bikes at all. Some wheel flop and barely noticeable flex from ti Lefty through slow speed rock gardens, but bike is so well balanced, you can thread a fine line, and place your wheels wherever wanted. Where this bike really shines is through fast singletrack, it just flows. It is a racer though, and does require your attention on fast, loose downhills. Marta brakes are very powerful but easily modulated. Rarely use the Granny, the UST Python tires provide incredible traction, and hook up through just about anything save serious mud. Have I mentioned I love this bike? I would undoubtedly purchase this same model again. Now if you'll excuse me, the sun is shining once again...

Similar Products Used:   full zoot Raven, F2000 C'dales, Specialized FSR Enduro Pro, assorted buddy bikes

Bike Setup:   As stock, but switched tires to UST Pythons when Mosquitoes wore out, jettisoned remote rear lockout for blue lever, added 959 clipless, and Singletrack Solutions plastic bar ends

Submitted by Brian McLean a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, Mich. USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight,cross country specific. Perfect amount of travel,but climbs well and great power to the wheels. ELO and rear lockout (blue knob) are great. KLM got the bike in 2 days and spec'ed perfectly.

Weaknesses:    Mounting a computer is a challenge. The suspension set up takes time to perfect. This is integral with the tires and pressures. Lots of tweaking.

Bottom Line:
A fabulous bike for me. I was looking for a full suspension, cross country bike that responds like a hard tail for my 44 year old body. This is it. I love the Cannondale technology, but it is an expensive bike.

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek Metro Park

Purchased At:   KLM in Rochester

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike a Gary Fisher Joshua. Other bikes considered were the Sugar 1.

Bike Setup:   This is the scalpel 3000 with SramX-0 shifters and Rear derailleur, Easton Carbon Fiber seat post and Terry Ti race saddle. Just switched out the Michelins for Hutchinson Scorpions. Otherwise, Stock

Submitted by BRAD from Dirty Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, Lefty, ELO, Tubeless, Its just rides great!!

Weaknesses:    Cheesey remote shimano BS lockout that falls off.

Bottom Line:
Rides perfect and is the first bike that takes everything I throw at it. It feels fast and rides great in rocky sections. The 2 1/2 inches travel is more than enough for those who want a quick responding full suspension bike. I have done my first two races ever on this bike and its a show stopper..further more my friends on the team have been laying the smack down all over competition on thier new Scalpels...Nuff Said

Favorite Trail:   Watchung

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn FS, Merlin, Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Magura Marta, Hugi Hubs, Thompson, Flite saddle

Submitted by JP a Racer from Calgary

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    Light, quick, stiff, carbon Lefty with ELO, Martas, all XTR, USTs, visually stunning

Weaknesses:    None yet, cannot melt snow

Bottom Line:
The 3000 is the Team Scalpel in disguise for those of us who prefer not to push 18 speeds. Comes stock with 3 x 9 XT cranks. Sweet ano black finish. Great sprinter and climber, use the ELO on the Lefty and leave the rear lockout alone. Not used many other disc systems but MArtas are unreal - stopping power and modulation. Still too much snow here for a proper test ride. First race of the year in 3 weeks so will post another review. Awesome service from Spokes & Attire (www.coolbikes.com).

Favorite Trail:   Cox Hill/Porcupine Rim