Cannondale Jekyll 800 2002 Full Suspension

4.62/5 (47 Reviews)

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Kitchener, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    Suspension (Lefty Shock); with the ability to lock out both front and rear, light-weight, handmade quality.

Weaknesses:    Front Disc squeaks on and off, doesn't effect functionality though.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used a few months ago, and it looked like it had been ridden 5 times at the most. This bike is really responsive on the trails, has great cornering, and the ability to lockout the suspension is awesome for big climbs; and this bike can climb! I'm very happy with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   K/W Hydrocut

Purchased At:   Bits N' Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock + Ritchey Superlogic carbon riser bars and Maxxis Minion tires

Submitted by nic from miami,fl,usa

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    I Luv this bike its sick I ride dirt jumps in miami usually mostly urban but took it to maob and killed all the spandexers and its crazy light as nothing and can take a crash just gotta keep it pampered and tuned after every couple of rides

Weaknesses:    The petals I put on some azonics also put on a lizard skin so I wouldnt have to hear the chain banging around so much thinking about changing it to single speed up front with chain guide evil thirteen or something also put dirt jumping seat on and cut the seat post so it sits down flush

Bottom Line:
luv it, buy it, if u wanna talk to every one about your bike buy a cannondale with a lefty fork cuz they will talk to you, expecally since i ride mine street and dirt everyone is always askin questions plus it rides like a dream great platform for almost any kind of riding and can bu customized to your likeing for the price

Favorite Trail:   quietwaters park

Purchased At:   biketec

Similar Products Used:   specialized p2 tricked out iron horse porter pro stock specialized rock hopper& stuntjumper

Bike Setup:   upgraded lefty pro max carbon,azonic aframe petals,dmrjumpseat,atomlab aircorp rims,wtb velociraptor tires

Submitted by Scott Marlow a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    Lefty's lateral rigidity
totally adjustable geometry
climbing ability

Weaknesses:    cable routing wears frame and Lefty fork
no front lock-out for Lefty
no oem-supplied adapter for standard fork-mounted bike trays
difficulty arranging shuttles/transporting without carrying fork adapter
challenging to mount cycle computer
longer wheelbase makes navigating twisty, technical trail sections difficult

Bottom Line:
The Jekyll climbs suprisingly better than my previous hardtail. Plus I can now ride technical and downhill trails that I would not have touched before. The Lefty soaks up the biggest drops, but stays true laterally on bumpy descents.

Cdale should skip the remote lockout supplied free and provide the adapter to mount the Lefty on standard fork-mounted bike trays; the adapter would get more use and be one less obstacle to purchase.

That said, this bike is a dream come true. I'd rate it 9.5 out of 10. Only time will tell whether the frame wear from cable routing is a warranty issue...be sure to inspect your frame frequently during first year of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. St. Helens

Purchased At:   Montlake Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   My second choice before buying the Jekyll was a Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ross from Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Welds, Lefty, and pretty much everything else except...

Weaknesses:    Cranks are starting to creak, tires.

Bottom Line:
I love this thing. It takes all my abuse. Just upgrade the cranks and bottom bracket, then it will be perfect. The bike is more for cross country, but some quick single track downhill is not out of the question.

Favorite Trail:   Porccupine Rim, Moab

Purchased At:   River City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Enduro FSR, Fisher sugar 1-2-3, many others

Bike Setup:   stock, execpt pedals, soon to have new cranks and ISIS bottom bracket

Submitted by Iain a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Strengths:    This is a follow up review of the january 2003 review. Same strengths as previously.

Weaknesses:    Wanted to report a couple of problems. Fox Float L - would not hold air. Took it to my LBS who sent it to the distributer. Distributer accused me of bad maintenance causing dirty seals. I have a meticulous cleaning routine. If the shock is positioned in such a bad spot as to collect so much crud then a) this should be mentioned in the bike literature b) a shock boot should be supplied as standard c) re-design the bloody thing. Is fixed now with new seals and i have zip tied a bit of tube around it.

Lefty - really bad top out clunk. LBS fixed it by adjusting the damping. LBS mentioned that this has been an issue on a few lefty's. Should'nt Cannondale sought this out?

Bottom Line:
Cannondale should address these issue's on the design bench. Perhaps the new Jekyll and lefty are better? Will i buy another Cannondale - only if the problems get sorted.

Favorite Trail:   abo trail and poop-shooter

Purchased At:   Supercycle Brisbane

Similar Products Used:   heaps of stuff owned and borrowed

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by HH a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Austrlia

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty Fork, works well when setup just how you like it. Solid feel of quality. Nimble handling.

Weaknesses:    Frame starts to creak after reasonable use... Can be fixed by cleaning where the rear shock meets the rear swingarm. CODA components, not good when 10 Km's from home and crank rips of bottom bracket!! Wasn't happy with Magura Julie brakes too inconsistent. Fox Float shock, valve dodgy..

Bottom Line:
Took a while, but now it is set-up just how I like it, this bike has turned out to be an extension of myself.. Do mainly XC riding without problem, but can also confidently do knarly stuff. This bike is plush and turns on a coin. The Hope mini's are a good addition as the excellent modulation on the brakes adds to the overall impressive handling capabilities..
The crack-en-fail name has some merits, but only with the CODA stuff. Otherwise it is a great bike. Was surprising at recent Polaris weekend that so many people had wise cracks for Cannondale riders... All I can say is get over it, if you can't afford one too bad.. Everyone deserves to enjoy their ride just how they like it..
Recommend this bike to anyone that plans on doing plenty of riding. I got the bike cheap but at recommended retail price, a bit too pricey for posers or people riding occasionally.

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F700, demoed Specialized FSR Enduro

Bike Setup:   Mainly stock except for change to Hope Mini discs, Easton CT2 XC bar, Selle italia octavia saddle,generally replacing all CODA parts.

Submitted by Francis Bacon a Racer from Cheltenham

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Strengths:    Great handling,comfortable ride,superb looks,nice finish.Inspires confidence to ride hard and fast, a well balanced bicycle.

Weaknesses:    Cables mark the frame.Why make an effort to produce a quality paint job then not protect the frame with factory applied adhesive pads ?

Bottom Line:
I have been very impressed with this bike. I am not an off road rider prefering to ride the streets.Some may say that it is alot of bike for street use but that depends on how one rides.I would recommend a Jekyll any day but do research the components.The original Magura Claras disc brakes were dreadful, the standard Cannondale saddle should have a health warning and the standard stem far too long.I should add that this is my second frame. The first frame had a fault where the rear shock is mounted.This meant that the shock body started to show signs of wear very soon after purchase. The frame was replaced within 3 days under warranty. New frame seems fine.I would like to thank Leisure Lakes cycle shop in Cheltenham for their time and professional service. They rebuilt the bike around the new frame.

Favorite Trail:   The street

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Bike Setup:   Re geared with a 48 tooth large front ring.Hope minis.
Wide slicks (the fatter the better) for serious banking.A very short stem with riser bars sloped back.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from boulder, colorado

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustability, Frame Design and Craftsmanship,Sweet Paint, Clean Welds, Durable, Excellent Fork, Pleasure To Ride (after necessary, even crucial, parts upgrades)

Weaknesses:    CODA,Coda,and um... coda.
Rear Hub( you have no choice of upgrades for front, but seems to work well with new rim and rebuild )
Handlebars
Seatpost
SADDLE!!! Talk about a pain in the ass...
Brakes. STOP! PLEASE!
Crankset
Cassette
Chain
Tires

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best bike I've ever owned. That doesn't mean it's the best bike. I do love it regardless of the money I had to invest to make it tight.At least I can sleep at night knowing I didn't pay full price for mine. Retail would be alot of coin for a nice frame and fork with a schitty component setup.
The travel is just enough for those of us who pick clean lines and ride light. This is not a bike built for clydesdales. I've heard the term "CRIMPANDFAIL" instead of Cannondale but usually from larger riders. Plus C-dale doesn't build bikes for hucking or dropping to flats and the like. So treat her well and she'll return the favor 10fold.
If I had the same money to spend again. I might consider a Giant vt1. mostly because of the parts for the buck plus a decent frame with a cool new manitou rear shock (swinger)
If money were no object I'd spring for a Titus Switchblade or An Intense Spider XVP.

Favorite Trail:   hall ranch

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   GT I drive, Tomac hardtail

Bike Setup:   Jekyll Frame,Lefty Fork,Race Face, Avid Mechanicals, Easton, Chris King Disc Hub, Grip Shift NO CODA except for front hub

Submitted by Sledge a Weekend Warrior from Ausin, TX. USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty suspension ROCKS!, proper geometry, braking power, rear shifting, wheels, price, ergonomics and bars/grips/shifters. Action of both shifters, suspension adjustability, warranty service (Fox), paint finish, hubs.

Weaknesses:    bottom bottle holder is dumb, creaky cranks, creaky seatpost, front derailler touches frame, no frame sock for limiting chain slap damage, leaky original Fox, slippy stock tires, wavy front disk profile, both disks have high friction without lever pulled.

Bottom Line:
Fox let me down, but fixed the problem with dealer-installed seal kit (first was recalled due to subcontracted seal material issues and defective) and Fox mailed me a second kit to make me feel better. Front derailler hits the frame lower pivot and can't be adjusted to exactly where I want it. Front brake drags more than I would believe is normal.
Ok, problems out of the way, this bike is the most natural extension of my body that I have found. It is natural to ride, jump, downhill, slide, and wheelie. The stock tires are good enough to ride on, but not if you don't have to.
Actually, I'm justifying it because I paid for it. The squeaks, blown shock, poor initial dealer setup, and average placement of controls are all better than anyone else, but not what I would sell if I could build bikes myself. Still, this 800 stands above the rest for "shock factor" with the Lefty and is a good bargain. I'd call it well engineered if the shock mounts weren't out of alignment and the derailler didn't touch the frame (limiting shift return). Did I mention the lefty ROCKS!?

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Gary Fisher, Klein, Specialized, Kona, Schwinn, Giant, GT.

Bike Setup:   Lumpier tires, updated Fox Float seals, carbon bars and seat post, Serfas nad-happy seat.

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Bacolod Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty, paint job, frame (welds), adjustable geometry...

Weaknesses:    Continental tires and the chain broke.

Bottom Line:
great bike could handle anything you dish it...

Favorite Trail:   TUBE

Purchased At:   CYCLE TOTE

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel100, Tracer, F900sx, Super V

Bike Setup:   '02 XTR (Cranks, front and rear derailluers, cassette, shifters), Gore Shifter Cables, Shimano Flight Deck Wireless Computer, Thompson Seatpost, Kore Elite Stem, Specialized Team Control and Team Master Tires,Flite Trans Am...

Submitted by Robert Tipton a Cross Country Rider from Willard Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    I rode the demo & fell in love with one & had to order one for myself. I've got a few weeks before mine actually arrives but I want everyone to know that this is a sweet machine!
What really distinguishes this bike from every other is the way it seems to take on anything you dish out.. In the saddle, you don't feel any suspension movement at all. When I look down at the shock, I can see it moving and absorbing bumps on the way up, but it doesn't rob any of my energy. All the work they did on the geometry paid off bigtime.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this-------If you are looking for a longtime relationship with the best frame money can buy, look no further than Cannondale. These people are the best there is. There are not enough adjectives to describe their frames, or their customer service. I'm an Cannondale Lifer!!!!!!! I Bought this to supplement my Trek Fuel 80 as more of a fun bike. And fun it is! I'm sure there are better long travel bikes but none that I know of this good for the money. I did quite a bit of research on this bike before making the purchase and I must say that I believe I made the right choice. The bike sucks up the downhills; a handle jumps and drops, and is a great cross-country machine as well. This bike gives me a woody just thinking about riding it. It does everything well. You can plow through the roughest terrain with confidence and do some nice jumps and drop offs. You can get up the hill just fine and put your balls to the single track on the way down. This bike is great for having fun on all day long. So far this bike is everything I was looking for, tough, adjustable, value. This bike is awesome. I did a lot of comparison and reading on the different bikes. After the purchase I wasn't sorry a bit. I was hooked on the idea of the left front suspension right off the bat as it is for all conditions and I like it all; long climbs, long descents, jumps, north shore, jibbing town whatever. I am not super hardcore, the biggest thing that I have dropped is probably under 5 feet and I weigh 180 + lbs, but I do ride as much as I can (five days a week during the summer) if you can only get one bike, get this one. It has a very solid, comfortable feel to it and can do pretty much anything. The Jekyll will be picked as best bike of the year award for 2003, just read the reviews coming out in the near future & you too will be convinced.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Best Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 80, Iron Horse G-OUT Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    Climbs good with shock locked-out, and OK with unlocked. Lefty is unbelievable when you get it dialed in...eats up everything and is razor sharp on a line. Quality frame, light weight enough with a few upgrades.

Weaknesses:    cable rub on frame above Botton bracket on main tube...GET PROTECTORS!! Of course the cranks suck as all coda's do..switch them out...CODA's hub suck too..switch out the bearings for duramax..chaep bout $$30...

Bottom Line:
This bike will do whatever you need...Like the other reviews I agree...EXPERIMENT with the shock pressures..front and back..I initially had mine set up to cushy and hated this bike...I wanted to sell it after my first ride...I pumped up the shocks to be a lot stiffer but not harsh and I love it now...I make my dog stand guard in front of it all night and its inside the house!!! Shocks are kinda like health insurance...you don't need it for the little stuff, but for the BIG stuff!!! And the lefty is always there when you need it to slice and dice and eat up bumps...I have the blue fade one wich I like more than the boring beige...But that doesn't matter...This bike rocks and will take you to the next level if you let it...Worth every penny and will last a long time ( I still have a c'dale m400 from 1991 that I have abused and even hit the carport with twice when it was on top of the jeep, even broke two shocks...and the frame?....still kickin' strong as ever!!)

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   GT XCR 1000, c'dale f2000 (2002) VEY FAST, Mongoose TI,

Bike Setup:   switch out cranks for 2003 XT (AWESOME!!)...Switch out riser bar for TI staright bar..(personal preference)....switch out magura's for avid mechanical disc (easy setup and adjustabilty and lighter)

Submitted by Sly a Cross Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty fork, unusual but works a treat. Frame quality is exceptional. Brakes seem to stop me better than the old XT V brakes on my Psycle Werks. Love the paint job. The adjustability is great, get yerself a shock pump and play around with pressures and frame geometry, it makes a huge difference to how it rides depending on your preferences. Lockout on rear.

Weaknesses:    Noisy cranks, hope to get them sorted on the first service. The original tyres are crap, swapped them over before leaving the shop. The seat is made for a midget with a micro ass. The paint is wearing through from cable rub only 3 weeks from purchase. Had to get another roof top Thule rack to carry the bugger. Bit of a cost but sure beats removing the slow release front wheel.

Bottom Line:
Riding all sorts of terrain lead me to the Jekyll. Love the versatility. Some days long cross country rides are a joy, others spent riding with the Freeride mates who can't ride up hills and are no faster on the downhills. This bike handles like a Ducati. Super stable and confidence building, especially on rutted downhill and fast single track. The rear lockout is only usefull when climbing steep smooth trails. if its rough, keep the rear active for traction and comfort. If you want versatility, quality and the best handling cross country bike available go the jekyll.

Favorite Trail:   Any fast singletrack

Purchased At:   Bike Addiction

Similar Products Used:   Psycle Werks Wild Hare main bike for last 6 years. Lovely but getting a bit long in the tooth. Nothing else is worth a look. So much garbage out there on the market.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for WTB saddle and WTB Mutano raptor 2.24 tyres.

Submitted by Iain a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Very precise steering in the twisty stuff. Set up options - the attitude adjustment really does make a difference. Lefty is very linear in its travel and seems capable of handling anything (a lot more confidence inspiring than previous SID SL and Judy C when the going gets rough and fast)

Weaknesses:    My first single pivot dually - climbing traction is not quite up there with my previous ride (jamis dakar) but this may be to do with different tires. Bit of a top out clunk with the lefty (a little more rebound seems to help this)

Bottom Line:
Very fast and capable bike. Have to be honest and say the first big difference i noticed between the dakar amd jekyll was the breaks - Julies 'v' v-brakes. Will never ride v's again!

In comparison to the dakar the jekyll will handle the rough fast stuff with a lot more confidence. Will bomb down rutted out fast single track with aplomb. It is not the climber the dakar was (is) but thats ok - the climbs are what you have to do before the fun starts.

Make sure you take the time to experiment with the set up ie the attitude adjustment, front and rear pressure and rebound - it makes a big difference. I was having trouble adjusting to a four inch fork - too soft, taking up momentum on slow technical ups and downs - put another 10 pounds in and notice the difference!! The point is - take the time to experiment and adjust the bike to the way you ride. When you get it dialled its a magic carpet ride.

The bike is expensive compared with your run of the mill mass produced bike - but a heckler, isis etc will cost you as much or more, and are they better?

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Owned - jamis dakar with SID SL and mostly XT. Ridden friends Catamount (beautifull Cro Mo URT), FSR, Heckler, Stinky etc etc

Bike Setup:   Stock except for bell ($50 on the spot fines from the cops without one!!!)oh..and a 40 watt lighting system (scared of the dark)

Submitted by Barrett Parks a Cross Country Rider from Bellevue, WA USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    The Magura Julie's work good. They have a lot of stopping power. The bike dices and carves well. I love being able to lock out the suspension. I find that I benefit more from locking out the front than the rear in technical sections. The adjustable geometry is nice. The bike excelerates well with the suspension locked out.

Weaknesses:    I come off of a full suspension bike that weighed 24 lbs. so this bike feels heavy to me. I have blown the rear shock once. The front suspension needs to be locked out in slower technical sections because the front seems to dive and stick a lot in ruts. I have changed the suspension a bit and it is better, but still awkward at times. The tires are bad. It uses the same tire front and rear and it is barely accpetable as a front but just plain bad in the rear. Zero feedback in the front and zero braking from the rear.

Bottom Line:
The bike is for those who want a mix between free style and cross country. I like the bike but for cross country and technical trails it is just okay. This bike shines in fast single track trails with drops and ruts. If you are mainly cross country and a medium speed rider I would buy something lighter and more precise.

Favorite Trail:   Fast and Twisty