Cannondale Jekyll 3000 2002 Full Suspension

4.19/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Maniac a Cross Country Rider from Sebastopol, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustablility

Weaknesses:    Coda parts, Lefty tops out when climbing, Lefty sticks at top when you leave it overnight, shock mount on swingarm

Bottom Line:
This bike would be great for anyone who not over 200 lbs. I'm 6'1", weigh 205 and have been riding for 20+ years. I should have shopped around before deciding on a Can-it-fail.
The Fox shock has to be pumped up to almost 300lbs to keep the bike from feeling mushy. Also, I've gone through 2 sets of bushing at the pivot and now the bolt holes in the swingarm for the shock have ovalized and the bike clunks whenever the rear end comes unweighted (jumping, bunny hopping). I tried rplacing the shock bushings and putting in a new bolt but it didn't help. Also, upgrade the swingarm/shock bolt with a Grade 8 bolt...the threads won't wear down as fast from the suspension movement and you'll have less chance of breakage out on the trail.
The trunnion that the Fox shock threads in to moves side to side in the aluminum spars of the frame. I called Canitfail about this and they said it was engineered that way to reduce side loading on the shock. Maybe so, but it causes alignment problems with the drivetrain and this bike HAS NEVER SHIFTED RIGHT!
The Lefty is a nice fork, however it does top out with an audible clunk when climbing and it tends to stick at the top of the travel if you haven't ridden it for a day or so. Once you get going though, it does go away.
The stock seat is HORRIBLE and had to be replaced a month after I bought it.
The stock rims were some Sun pieces of crap that lasted about 6 months before I had to replace them with some Mavics. The Coda rear hub lasted less than 1 year and the front hub has some side to side play in it, so the bearings are shot and need replacing.
Durability issues abound on this bike and I just can't recommend it to anyone who is greater than 190 lbs.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Hayes, Syntace VRO, Coda cranks, hubs, seatpost

Submitted by Hurl a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Strengths:    Cannondale quality. Really smooth. Well built. Never had a problem (so far). Very adjustable for different riding styles.

Weaknesses:    ELO - if it ever goes bad - i hope i can get parts.

Bottom Line:
Sweet Ride (for me)

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   stock, but trick! XTR...

Submitted by Tim Field a Cross Country Rider from Cheltenmham

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    Highly adjustable, rigid and confidence inspiring ride.

Weaknesses:    Slight bob on rear susp (no more than I would expect which can be locked out anyway). Not really a weakness but does take alot of setting up.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for 6 months or so and it took alot of time to get it set up correctly. There are so many adjustments that you can do. If you've got the correct frame size I dare you to say you can't find a possition \ shock setting that suits you perfectly.

When locked out this feels like my fully rigid (other) Cannondale, when unlocked it feels like a rigid that floats over the bumps. Sideways it's Extreemly Stiff and the forks feel like rigids when cornering. Only when switching back to front susp only did I notice how much difference the rear travel makes.

This is one of the greatest XC bikes ever made, although it took alot of getting used to and setting up I wouldn't part with it. Difficult to demo as if it's not set up for you, you can't make a proper decision BE AWARE!.

If I was going for full downhilling I probably wouldn't go for this bike as the front needs more travel.

My only complaint is keeping the ball burnished finish looking clean, it's constantly in need of polishing but ah well the bikes for riding.

BUY ONE NOW!
Tim

Favorite Trail:   Forest of Dean

Similar Products Used:   Santa C Super 8, Rigid Cannondale, Rigid Klein Attitude, various inc. Kona etc.

Bike Setup:   Super Fatty Forks, XT and XTR, Coda discs + Tioga Psyco Ltd. tires (best tires ever made).

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Northern MN

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    Lefty ELO,Fox Float,great adjustability,no flex anywhere and I'm 6'7" 245 riding an x-large frame

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any

Bottom Line:
I've riden this bike everywhere..from the desert of southern CA to the north woods of MN...and not a single problem or complaint.I'm 6'7",245lbs and ride hard..my frame is still intact and the suspension takes everything I throw at it.This bike is worth every penny and it'll my main ride for a long time. THIS BIKE ROCKS !!!!!

Purchased At:   Tri-A-Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock 2001 Jekyll 3000

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from East Hampton, NY

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great overall chemistry....the bike is really fun to ride and after almost a year, it still makes my heart pound (in more ways than one). I can't find a better overall suspension system: up front is the electronic lock out on a Lefty fork, and the rear Fox suspension gives you all the options you could ask for. The Hayes disc brakes are superb....however, I have gotten in trouble going a little too fast on my road bike expecting the disc brakes to get me out of trouble...oops, wrong bike!

Weaknesses:    I have to say it: the CODA components. I am slowly but surely replacing all of them....the cranks are next on my list. Also, I was getting regular flats until I slimed the tires. Down the road I replaced the stock Hutchison tires with Michelins because the Hutchinson's knobs wore off after only a few months.

Bottom Line:
This bike has stood up to a good amount of tough use in varying conditions, including a cross country road trip with the bike in the back of my SUV. It has never let me down and I still look forward to riding it. While I wish the price was lower, it is probably fair given the large number of $2,000 plus bikes on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Hither Hills

Purchased At:   Larry and Jeff's

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 1 and 2, Gary Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock, with Shimano M545 pedals

Submitted by garth bean a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Strengths:    Lefty fork, great brakes, handling

Weaknesses:    pedal induced bobbing, price

Bottom Line:
Every chance I get I would try different bikes, always planning on that future purchase. While I can't say I hated any of the different bikes I tried, none felt as good right from the start as the Jekyll. The suspension works great (set it up for your weight), the tires hook up well (tires or the fact that they are tubless?? don't know), the brakes are flawless (after initial break-in) and it handles great. I have the rear setup in about the middle position. The adjustable Syntace handlebar is a great idea and together with the adjustable rear suspension, one can really customize how this bike rides. I can't say it's the best bike, haven't tried them all, but it is the best I've tried when fun is the goal. If racing were the primary objective, the bobbing and 27lb weight may hold you back on some courses. I do race mine and the handling, brakes and suspension will make up for the weight on some courses.

I only weigh 150 pounds and I use this cross country bike for cross country type fun: I haven't broken any frames. My scale is quite accurate and it tells me my bike with speedplay pedals weighs 27 pounds. So far I've had a great time on my bike... no regrets.

Favorite Trail:   Mansfield Dam

Purchased At:   Vernon Cycle, Vernon Ct.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V, Trek Fuel, Giant, Ellsworth

Bike Setup:   Stock US model, Hayes brakes, Syntace handlebar, Mavic UST rims with Hutchinson tires.

Submitted by bill a Cross Country Rider from florida

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    its light..cool color

Weaknesses:    The frame is so weak. I broke 2. the rear swing arm flexes all over the place when taking any corners. Coda cranks that come on it are very heavy and the flex when just simply pushing them and yes they broke on me. The coda brakes will not stop you but they will slightly slow you down. I refuse to ride the bike any more because you put your life into the hands of a bike frame that will break on you and you have to pray to God its not in down hill. I am embarrassed to ride this bike knowing how bad I got ripped off. I should have listened to my friends.

Bottom Line:
Be very carefull riding this bike parts will beak on you and you will be spending alot of money to replace the Coda crap that breaks. So now that $3000 investment just went up to &4000 because you are spending so much money replacing everything with quality non-coda parts. This bike should costs $300 not $3000. I feel sorry for International Bicycle for having to spend so many man hours and shipping to fix these bikes. They are like Yugos..they look real cool but are crap and will fall apart on you. Now I have an expensive piece of crap sitting in my garage that I am afraid to ride.

Purchased At:   international bicycle

Submitted by Mark Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Northern New Jersey

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Strengths:    Well made bike, love the Lefty fork, light weight, very easy to handle.

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This bike is one of the best if not the best on the market right now, will be putting this bike to the LIMITS this summer.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood State Park

Purchased At:   Piermont bikes in Tenafly, N.J.

Similar Products Used:   Jekyel 700

Submitted by curt a Weekend Warrior from midway city ca.

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    For a four and a half inch travel frame this thing hauls ass up and down hill. Its been ridden very hard and its proven itself reliable which is important because im' about 190 lbs and i'v broken a foes weasel, a gt Idrive, a Mc mahon buff and a fisher jashua in the last 7 years. but so far this ones been good.

Weaknesses:    The pivot bolts backed out allmost all the way on the fourth ride but a little locktite solved that. The lefty elo locks out at full travel which unweights the front on steep climbs.The tubless wheels are heavier than good wheels with tubes and they leak down to 10 p.s.i in 3 days so Im' having a king hub and the front stock hub laced up to some sun DS1s. The variable handlebar has a strange sweep to it and regular stems are hard to find.

Bottom Line:
A good bike that could be better with a regular fork and bar. I havent had any problems with the fork but it seems to sit a little high in the front and I'd like to be able to lower the front end for steep climbs. I would buy the lower model and use the extra money to buy these different parts.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   freind

Similar Products Used:   GT I drive (broken)

Bike Setup:   Stock accept for the wheels and some frog peddals.I may switch to my Psylo for the U Turn.

Submitted by Christian a Cross Country Rider from San diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Strengths:    Lefty Elo,Hayes disc brakes, Mavic 317 wheels, Jekyll frame, Syntace Vro bars and stem, Etc.

Weaknesses:    Cannondale cranks (will soon be replaced with Race face next Lp's)

Bottom Line:
This bike is probably thee best bike I have ever ridden it only weighs in at 25 pounds which is excellent for a bike with 4.5 inches of travel. It rides great downhill and climbs very well also the gentleman before me said the bike bobs. I have never experienced any bobing at all. what is also great about this bike is all the diffrent adjustments you can do with the bar and the frame it's great. Iv'e been riding for about 8 years now and this is by far the best all around bike I have ridden. I'm a gram counter and I know that this bike is on the heavy side to some riders but thats why I own a hardtail also for when I race. I would reccomend this bike to anybody who wants a great decender and a great climber in one package. it is very light for what it has on it but you can also change some parts to make it lighter. I wouldn't recomend it to Hard tail racers who are looking for a super light weight, no travel
Xc racer you should buy a Scalpel if you want that. I ride 30 mile rides with this bike constantly. I feel bad because my hardtail spends more time in the garage.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Pinos

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer, SL, Slx, Trek Fuel 90, Cannondale F700.

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 3000 w/ Lefty elo fork (sweet), Thomson seatpost, Mavic 317 wheels, Hugi rear hub, XTR shifters and derraileurs, Hayes disc brakes, Syntace bar and stem, Cannondale cranks, Egg beater pedals, Sdg grand prix seat.

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native New Yorker)

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    It's visually appealing. This is a good bike for showing off, especially when it's locked to a stationary, secure object. Putting the word "Titanium" on the lefty fork is a nice touch.

Weaknesses:    Motion, noise, bobbing, mud, pedalling on flat ground, and the seatpost is two short (do they make this thing for big guys with short legs?)

Bottom Line:
I HATE this bike! I generally don't like rear suspension, but this Jekyll bobbs horribly. For comparison, I tried the Klein Adept Comp and though I didn't like it for myself--because it basically made riding too easy and I couldn't really feel the ground like I could with a hardtail--I can say that it's a great bike and I wouldn't be making a mistake by purchasing one. But the Jekyll is horrible.

For starters, the seatpost is too short and so it's impossible for me to ride it in a sitting position without buying a new post.

Secondly, it creaks like an old door--and this was at a demo with professional, certified Cannondale mechanics serving it up. I tried switching to another bike of the same model, and the same thing. I've never even heard of a new bike making noise like that.

BIG negative point number three, it bobs like a low-rider in East Los Angeles. Sure, you can use the lockouts, but I'd have to keep the lockouts on all the time.

And of course, the age old criticism of Cannondale bikes even by people who love them is that the whole thing is made to break. There is probably some language out there in which the word "CODA" means something equivilant to CR#P or "will break like it's made out of chalk!" I don't know why Cannondale keeps putting this stuff on their bikes; maybe it's so some people can feel like real rough riders for breaking so many components, or so Cannondale can show off how good their warranty service is, but I would never buy a Cannondale without counting on replacing all of the CODA components.

Case in Point: My brother loves Cannondale and he says it's a given that you will have to replace the CODA components--but at this price? If it was a Peugot for about $500 I could understand, but not at the price and alleged performance level of the Jekyll. He also raves about the quality of the frames, even though they are well known to break--which I've never even heard of being a common occurance in any other brand--and he always comes back with "yeah, but they're warrantied for life!" like that's going to help when you have to walk over ten miles dragging a broken bicycle.

Well, I have some human excrement to sell, which I am willing to warranty for life as well, guaranteeing you replacement excrement if the original fails to satisfy you. Just send me your check for $3000--don't worry, I'll pay for the shipping.

Final advice: for the sake of sanity, take your hard earned money and instead of blowing it on a Cannondale Jekyll, buy a Klein Adept Pro--a bike with superior engineering, performance, quality, and which performs as we can only wish the Jekyll did.

Favorite Trail:   This one.

Purchased At:   Demoed at the Japan Aerobics Center mountain biking event on February 11, 2002

Similar Products Used:   I have to qualify my comments on this beast with the fact that I am a hardtail guy. No matter how many times and how many bikes I try from whatever brand or price range, I just hate rear suspension--with the exception of Trek's design where the shock is minimal, I think it's called the STP400 or something like that.

Bike Setup:   Trek frame, the rest was put together by me.

Submitted by JACK a Weekend Warrior from San Dimas

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    FORK STIFFNESS, variable head angle,(makes a huge difference how long/short you set the shock) and really cool handle bar...

Weaknesses:    Had to send my fork back to Cdale. (Roughness) Sent me a new one with an admonitory note about "excesssive" hits. Right... The rear shock, too, has seen the inside of a UPS truck. Let's see... The access to the valve on the Fox can be difficult at times. Doesn't accept fatter tires.

Bottom Line:
If you like to dance, she'll move like a ribbon, yet the stallion-like fork will steadfastly refuse to bend no matter what torque you throw at it. Very steep, technical ascents are what this bike likes to eat for lunch. The adjutable head angle is dramatic and can be jackrabbit quick when set at its steepest or laid way back at the other extreme. And its infinitely adjustable in between! Every bike should come equipped with the ingenious double bar set up which allows for those quick "top of the hill" adjustments, pulling the bar up and back without messing up your brake and shifter positions. Almost too easy. If you like to climb, you should know that locking out both shocks makes this bike a 25 lb climbin' fool. That's like two pounds less than a high end CC rig that would be ill at ease on terrain the 5" Lefty calls home. It's that 3.2 lb, 5" travel, ultra stiff, reasonably plush fork, that explains the weight paradox. And yes, despite the four chilis (BOTH shocks in the first year??) I do love my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Red Box/Strawberry Loop

Purchased At:   Incycle

Similar Products Used:   You think I can afford more than one of these???

Bike Setup:   Lefty (MANUAL lockout, thank you very much) who needs more cables? Cane Creek bar ends, XTR crankset (and everything else, of course; this IS the 3000.) Hayes, azonic, etc.

Submitted by peter calnan a Racer from Rotorua New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Strengths:    lefty electronic lockout

Weaknesses:    every product on the bike

Bottom Line:
cannon or cannondale?? there warranty is as good as toilet paper.owned bike 12 mnths and almost everything broken,dt hugge hub broke 2 weeks old chain broke 3weeks old wouldnt change gear reasons,,cables dammaged rear derailuer faulty rear drop out too short b screw rides over dropout,rear shock failed 3 times front shock failed 2 times frame damaged when picked up from shop they wont replace,hayes brakes leak,bottom bracket installed incorrectly no grease and cross threaded,bike creaks under load,rear shok bushes worn out and shok bush out off round on end off shock,black spokes keep on braking,seat post bent, paint not finished nicely,front wheel bearings shaged 5ookms have now done 1000 on new bearings ok,LAST OFF ALL FRAME CRACKED LAST week and will cannondale sort this out ????? not yet or likely if anything goes as it has previously .expensive bike awesome ride hopeless warranty not worth the agrovation

Favorite Trail:   redwoods in Rotorua

Purchased At:   bikes direct Auckland NZ

Similar Products Used:   proflex, specalised fsr , extreme

Bike Setup:   as std shop fittout

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Bakersfield, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    Elo Lefty, all XTR, Hayes disc brakes, adjustable shock. The list goes on and on

Bottom Line:
The bike rides great. Even when you don't lock out the shock or the fork. it climbs very well the bike is nimble fast and efficent. Cannondale has done a great job with the Jekyll the best all around bike Iv'e ever ridden. And I have ridden them all. I would recomend this bike to experienced riders because of all of the diffrent set up options sometimes it can be a little overwhelming.

Favorite Trail:   Just outstanding

Purchased At:   Action sports

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer, Trek Fuel 90, Intense uzi SLX, Cannondale F700 hardtail, Etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock accept for Easton CT2 seatpost, Race face Next LP cranks, Time pedals, SDG grand prix saddle.

Submitted by Robert Racer a Cross Country Rider from Orlando,FL,USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    Light and Rigid frame (just the way I like my women too), rear lock-out (same), Adjustable Geometry (yep), Disc Brakes(?).

Weaknesses:    A little pedal induced bobbing when not locked-out, Front Headshock 70mm Fork, Coda Disc Brakes, Tender Paint Job. Questionable Bottom Bracket life.

Bottom Line:
Is that I like this bike. It is a Cannondale Jekyll 3000SL I like it a whole lot more with the 100mm Marzocchi X-Fly up front. Despite a weight gain of almost a pound (16oz.- I'm crazy and don't shave my legs.), the new fork performs far better than the stock Headshock Ultra 70mm. The bike handles technical terrain a whole lot better now, small and large hits. I'm still running the stock Coda Expert Disc brakes with mixed feeling. I think after I scratch them up some more or they fail- I will buy some Hayes, Hayes feels a whole lot more powerful when squeezed. The stock bottom bracket (Ultegra) chewed up after about 6 months of fairly dry riding. Six month after that the Dura-Ace replacement is sounding ruff. Normally I would expect a BB to last 1 year. Maybe that Roadie stuff is kind'a wimpy when compared to the XTR machoness. I wish the Gloss Black paint was Flat Black, because every scratch stands out like a 3 dollar hooker at a friends wedding. I've found some touch up paint that almost matches, but it is an endless process. Tree braches scratch this paint. Power coating kicks a$$, one day, one day.
Finally comes the adjustable geometry. I left it alone after initial set-up for 8 months. Lately I've been messing with it and really like it. I've been setting it according to the ride. Urban assault, baby Florida downhilling, Organized Bike Bar hopping- I set it back for pimping jump/I can't feel my knees style. XC trails I stand the geometry up and raise my BB almost 3/4 inch for log clearance and faster steering response. My riding friends hate me.

Well that's about it. Three days ago I had the bike weighed at a shop scale. 25lbs. Cool!

Favorite Trail:   Ocala, Oleta, S.O.B.T.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V, GT-Idrive, Specialized FSR, Gary Fisher Sugar, and more!

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi X-Fly 100 air/oil fork, some carbon stuff, 2nd Dura-Ace BB, new seat, some grips, and a new chain!

help me choose Giant AC2 or Jekyll 3000 ...???

hi everyone this is my first thread and well Want to ask about the the giant ac2 what about it for start in DH/FR I can get the bike used for $800...Read More »

2001 Jekyll 3000 crankset

Anyone recommend a crankset that fits this old boy? My bike guy told me might be hard to fit because the way the CODA crank arm flairs out in order to clear the frame, aka the bend of the crank arm...we tried some he had and no luck. Would the Race Face Ride XC 175mm work? Thanks a ton!Read More »

2001 Jekyll 3000 crankset options

Just bought an 01 Jekyll 3000...so far I LOVE IT!! BUT, apparently the left crank arm bolt was loose and the arm stripped right off. This happened even after having a "thorough" service/tune right after getting the bike. Anyway, need help replacing crankset b/c bike shop guy says the CODA stuff is ... Read More »

Jekyll 3000 - clydeworthy?

Did a quick search adn came up empty... Found a good price on a 2004 Jekyll 3000. I am about 230, 250-260 w/gear. I am reasonably fluid and not too tough on bikes. I am rarely more than 3 feet off the ground - though in my younger days.... It would be an all-purpose trail/some lift assist rid ... Read More »

Information & Opinions: Jekyll 3000

Anyone care to render an opinon on the 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 3000? I found this beauty in pristine condition ... some of the OE equipment has been swapped out, however still XTR, XT, WTB and Thompson on board. I have not seen many of these on the trails ... or on ebay for that matter. Rare? O ... Read More »