Cannondale Jekyll 1000 2002 Full Suspension

4.61/5 (28 Reviews)

Submitted by Richard Capone a Weekend Warrior from Kensington, CA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Very smooth ride. Responsive handling. Love the ability to turn off the front or rear shocks when climbing on the road.

Weaknesses:    During muddy rides, shifting slips. For the cost would have expected better shifting.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Highly recommend it. Would suggest upgrading the LX rear derailleur if you like mud riding. Not sure if it would help but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bike in Berkeley

Similar Products Used:   Old mt. bike for 15 years was a Bridgestone MB-3. Solid bike no shocks. Worked perfectly rain, mud, or shine. Tried Santa Cruz, Giant. Decided on Jekyll.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Rebel a Downhiller from Mill Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Burly frame, good geometry, nice BB height.

Weaknesses:    No v-brake mounts.

Bottom Line:
I set up my Jekyll for all-mountain use, with an emphasis on freeride, hence the two ring guide and Marzocchi fork. That being said, it lives up to it's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" name by performing as both an XC bike and a DH bike.

Favorite Trail:   I don't ride bikes, I just look at them

Purchased At:   Cannondale

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky Five, Santa Cruz Bullit.

Bike Setup:   2002 Jekyll 1000 medium frame, '01 Marzocchi Z.4, Mavic XM 321's on Cannondale Fire hubs, Truvativ Hussefelt double crank with Blackspire Dewlie chainguide, WTB Laser V saddle, Avid BBDB mechanical disc brakes.

Submitted by John Brackston a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    Great bike.

Weaknesses:    Has anyone's rear shock had the anodised coating wear off the exposed piston? I am on my second shock, the first wore through in 6 months, my LBS dealt with the problem as a warranty claim. Now six months later the anodizing is once again showing signs of wear. This only happens on the drive train side. I am starting to think there is a frame misalignment causing this uneven wear. There are also scores wearing along the length of the piston in the same area where the anodising is being worn. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has experienced this problem and if they know of a cause and solution. I keep the shock clean and open it regularly for regreasing. Also those darn bushes keep wearing. Anyone tried the BETD replacement bushes and reducers?

Bottom Line:
The bike scores very highly from a handling point of view and I can understand a shock wearing once which tends to point to the shock as the problem but twice in such a short time makes me think the frame is at fault. Feedback on similar experiences would be appreciated.

Favorite Trail:   cwm cas

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V and Raven 1000

Bike Setup:   Hope mini discs, nice Hope rear hub, XT front drive train and bottom bracket bearing, Monkeylite carbon lo riser bars, Shimano 945 pedals, Sram Rocket twist grips.

Submitted by EK a Cross Country Rider from Plainsboro, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    responsive, super plush suspension, trick looks of the lefty

Weaknesses:    a bit weighty for the price point

Bottom Line:
Easily the most responsive bike I've ever ridden. Step on the cranks, it goes; push on the bars, it turns. The suspension is super plush - smooth, quiet, and sucks up everything. With the damping controls up front and in the rear, and the "attitude adjustment" you can dial this bike in to suit your own style. It takes a bit of time and work, but is totally worth it. The lockout on the Lefty is the most solid I've ever encountered. No movement whatsoever when locked out and it's real easy to reach and operate while riding. I blew the lockout out on a SID XL in a week, but this thing is incredible. I can feel the overall weight in the climbs, but that's because I'm fat and out of shape. Any time I lose there is more than made up in the flats and the downs. I'd highly recommend it and I hear the 2003's are even better.

Purchased At:   Halters Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specilaized FSR XC Pro

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock, but swapped out triggers for SRAM Rocket shorty

Submitted by Zed a Racer from Eagan, MN

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Weaknesses:    Too heavy.

Bottom Line:
Fitst of all, most recent review Larry Flemming is an idiot - just ignore his jealous anti-Cannondale never rode one so doesn't know s#)$ attitude. We all know C-Dale brings on a love-hate thing - those that hate and feel the need to spew about it show their ignorance.

Aside from that, the bike is great. Just recently traded it in for the 2003 Jekyll 1000 which is even better - and I'll review that one once MTBReview.com gets in the game and opens up the 2003 reviews.

Larry - go home, and take your Huffy with you...

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Erik the Bike Dink (idiots)

Similar Products Used:   Super-V, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Larry Flemming a Cross Country Rider from Lakeland,Florida

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    The way the factory seat cups my butt cheaks and shows my muscles to all of my riding partners.

Weaknesses:    not to much,just the lefty fork,the frame geometry, The standover hieght, and the color.

Bottom Line:
I dont even care how this bike performs I just the respect and the looks I get on a Cannondale. You would not believe all of the women who know how accomplished a rider you must be due tottaly to the credit of this wicked machine. Maybe with next years model they will come out with a hot pink race model.

Favorite Trail:   boyette

Purchased At:   rogers bikes

Similar Products Used:   the Trek 9000

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by t bone a Weekend Warrior from bromont, quebec, canada

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    stiffness, plushness, versatility, lockout option, feel, confidence boosting, looks and
enjoyability.
Also, for the same price as the 2002, you get more travel, less weight, remote rear lockout and tubelless.

Weaknesses:    it would have to be the rear remote lockout switch on the shock that prevents easy switch in bike geometry, which normally is a cool thing about the jekyll. Although the remote has it's advantage. you can always get what you want..
Tubelless...i'm not convinced : Punctured tire, tire derailling, heavy stuff.

Bottom Line:
with it's sincere weight for the solidity and sturdiness,
it' stiffness and great handling, this bike skyrocketed my level of riding. This has to be the most fun bike to ride.
I suggest buying pads with the bike if you come from cross-country, cause Youll probably end-up doing what I call
serious agressive free-cross-riding. You're eyes will be locking for those drops you were afraid of. The difference with those freeriding guys, is that you'll pedal your way up the top.
It's all I can think of, all day, all night. Never been been so fit in my life. My girlfrienf loves it!

Favorite Trail:   boomerang

Purchased At:   shhhhhht! new 2003 model

Similar Products Used:   treck fuel, sugar 2, schwinn s10

Bike Setup:   stock (2003): magura martha, easton handlebar, shimano xtr/lx, shimano crank: No CODA crap

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Active suspension, lockouts available (but rarely used), Lefty Fork rules - no deflection and changing front tire is a breeze, balanced suspension 4" front 4.5" rear. Hayes Disc brakes are extremely powerful, which is good since you will reaching some serious speed on this bike. Made right here in USA!

Weaknesses:    Stock seat and seatpost had to go. I have a rear mounted rack on my car, however if you have a roof rack look into compatibility with Lefty Fork. Mounting magnet for computer was a pain, put magnet in brake rotor. Cannondale can be a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from the wonderful folks at RRB bicycle in Lake Geneva. Besides the low price, they were very open to letting me customize my bike. One example is I didn't want the Titanium Lefty fork for strength purposes (I can handle the extra 90 grams of weight), so they dropped the price accordingly.

This is my first full suspension bike. I didn't like how longer CC rides beat me up the next day, so I decided FS was the way to go. I looked at Giant NRS and Trek Fuel, but their suspension didn't seem as active and the multiple pivots may cause problems in the future. The Jeykll has a much more active suspension and has a lockout for long climbs, but I rarely use it. The bike actually climbs better with the suspension active, even if your out of the seat. If the shock is set right you barely notice the pedal induced bobing. Lets face it, if your a hard core CC racer use a hardtail. I don't see the point of FS if you only get 2-3" of travel. If your a cross country rider who does the occasional race and wants to ride day after day on punishing trails, look no further.

I'm 6, 175 lbs after several hundred miles of hard core CC and some downhill on this bike and have had no major problems so far. I'll post another review in a year when I have more miles on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir Trails, La Grange WI

Purchased At:   RRB Bicycle, Lake Geneva

Similar Products Used:   Old bike was a hardtail, tried Giant NRS, Trek Fuel, GT I-drive (what a tank).

Bike Setup:   Lefty fork, Hayes Disc Brakes, Shimano LX, XT, XTR
Coda wheelset - hopefully the hubs will last.

Submitted by Rick Burns a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, Calif

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    My first full suspension bike. My first bike with disc brakes. I enjoy riding the bike when it works. The disc brakes are great. The lefty shock is cool. The lock out is very easy to use. Having a front shock that can lock is GREAT for the on road/off road riding I do.

Weaknesses:    the "suspension" on this bike is VERY unreliable. Since that is what I bought the bike for, I'm VERY disappointed. The rear shock constantly leaks. The shop works on the shock, it works good for a month and then starts leaking again. When it leaks, I can't even use it for a single ride without the air coming out. I've asked and asked and asked for a new shock and neither Bike's plus, Fox or Cannondale will do anything about it. A total flipping joke. Why doesn't someone just replace the shock? I'll never buy a Cannondale again, I'll never buy from Bike's plus again. I'm buying my wife a Santa Cruz Juliana. In addition, the lefty front shock has "malfunctioned" 3 times. First two times it locked up and had to go to the shop, the third time it completely deflated in the middle of a ride. No fun riding this bike with a deflated front shock. This is supposedly "unusual", but still a bummer for me.

Bottom Line:
I like a full suspension bike with locking shocks (front and back) and disc brakes.

When I buy my next bike, I doubt I will buy a cannondale. They don't even answer their e-mail....ugh!

Favorite Trail:   I don't know the name

Purchased At:   Bicycles Plus

Similar Products Used:   My "good old bike" is a Specialized Stump Jumper.....it is cool....never any problems with it with 1000s of miles on it.

Bike Setup:   XTR stuff..

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Lakeland, Florida

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    Hayes disc brakes provide excellent control. Jekyll frame, Lefty fork soaks up everything. Awesome looks and excellent components. Great color and smooth ride. Just feels great to ride the jekyll 1000. And of course it is a Cannondale!!

Weaknesses:    LX components, cheap pedals

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever ridden. Would reccomend it to anyonewho wants the best bike for thier money. This bike can handle almost anything. The suspension is excellent and soaks up everything. The Hayes brakes provide awesome stopping power and control on downhills. The Lefty fork is by far the best design on the market. I found the bike is very responsive and looks great. I have ridden my bike for six months and have had no problems with it.

Favorite Trail:   T.O.E.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale SuperV 500

Bike Setup:   Standard from the factory with the exception of Time ATAC pedals.

Submitted by KEENEKONG a Weekend Warrior from LAKELAND, FLORIDA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    OVERALL QUALITY AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL.THE BIKE HANDLES VERY WELL, SUSPENSION SOAKS UP EVERYTHING YOU CAN THROW AT IT. THE ADJUSTMENTS ON THE SUSPENSION MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE,AND CAN TURN THIS BIKE FROM A DR. JEKYLL INTO A MISTER HYDE,(PUN INTENDED!) SO USE A LITTLE EXTRA TIME TO DIAL IT IN.

Weaknesses:    FRAME STRENGTH. I HAVE BROKEN A SWINGARM, FOLLOWED BY A FRAME A COUPLE OF MONTHS LATER. ALSO, THE LEFTY FORK STICKS AT THE TOP OF ITS TRAVEL. THIS ONLY HAPPENS AFTER THE BIKE HAS BEEN SITTING OVER NIGHT, AND IS NEVER NOTICEABLE AFTER YOU BREAK IT LOOSE THE FIRST TIME YOU GET ON TO RIDE.

Bottom Line:
I WEIGH 230 LBS, SO THE FRAME BREAKAGE IS DUE IN PART TO MY SIZE, BUT I WOULD SAY THIS IS A SWEET BIKE FOR ANYONE UNDER 200 LBS. I RIDE VARIOUS TERRAIN IN FLORIDA, AS WELL AS GOING TO NORTH CAROLINA AND GEORGIA. (PISGAH, TSALI, FONTANA VILLAGE, FLAT CREEK, BULL MNT.)THE DOWNHILLS ARE A BLAST, AND THE UPHILLS, WELL THEY'RE JUST PART OF IT, BUT THE JEKYLL HAS PERFORMED GREAT ANYWHERE WE GO TOGETHER! I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE HAYES HYDRAULIC BRAKES. THEY JUST KEEP ON WORKING, NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDITIONS. IN ALL FAIRNESS, ANY PROBLEMS I'VE HAD HAVE BEEN TAKEN CARE OF WITHOUT QUESTION BY STEVE BENT. BENT'S HAS BEEN GREAT TO DEAL WITH, AND ANYTHING THEY COULDN'T DO, THE CANNONDALE FACTORY TOOK CARE OF IN SHORT ORDER. I GIVE THIS BIKE A SOLID FIVE, BUT WOULD WARN HEAVIER RIDERS TO LOOK AT SOMETHING HEAVIER DUTY. I AM WAITING FOR THE CANNONDALE GEMENI WITH THE 5" TRAVEL LEFTY TO ARRIVE, AND FEEL THAT THE EXTRA POUNDS WILL BE WORTH IT IF THE DURABILITY IS THERE.

Favorite Trail:   CARTER ROAD PARK

Purchased At:   BENT'S SCHWINN

Similar Products Used:   CANNONDALE SUPER V 500. SPECIALIZED ENDURO PRO

Bike Setup:   XTR SHIFTERS, XTR REAR DER., HAYES HYD. DISC, PANARACER FIRE XC FRONT & REAR, TALLEST STEM, UNCLE JESSE RISER BARS, SHIMANO 959 PEDALS, SHIMANO FLIGHT DECK.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Newnan, GA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Cannondale Frame and warranty. Lefty Fork. Hayes Disk Brakes. Adjustable Geometry and Comfortable ride. Did I mention that awesome Lefty fork?

Weaknesses:    LX Cassette, Crank and shifters. Expensive price considering the mixed component set. Lefty specific front hub makes new front wheels (thinking of going tubeless) an expensive option.

Bottom Line:
I enjoy every minute I am on this bike. The has held up well for me (a 225 pound rider). I find myself taking the downhill trails faster than before with this bike. Thankfully the Hayes Disks can slow me down when needed! The lefty fork works great and gathers a lot of second looks when first seen!

Went I went to get a longer stem, I noticed a VRO set for a Jekyll 3000 for half price. It was removed because the purchaser did not want the additional weight. The stem/bar combo has been fantastic for me.

I have replaced the shifter cables with RideOn Goretex to see if it makes a difference over standard teflon coated cables. I recently changed the LX Cassette for an XT model and swapped the 515s for a set of 959s.

I just added the Hutchison tires this weekend and found they performed better than the stock Continental Explorers when riding over slick roots and damp limestone on the trail.

I think the bike is excellent, It may be a little on the heavy side and there may be some bob when climbing that reduces effeciency...however me losing 25 pounds would remove more weight and give me better efficiency on the hills than anything that can be changed on the bike!

I give the bike 5 Flamin' Chilis for the overall rating,but only 4 for value. Cannondale calls it "System Integration", I call it charging too much money for the parts they add. For the $2700 list price, this bike should have XT Level components across the board, and XTR where they may add value.

Favorite Trail:   Windridge ATB Park, Newnan, GA

Purchased At:   Great Lake Bicycles, Ann Arbor, MI

Similar Products Used:   I owned a Cannondale F600 prior to this and test road the Fuel 98 and Giant XTC when looking at purchasing a suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Syntace VRO stem and handlebars (I like the adjustability), RideOn Shifter cables, XT Cassette, M959 Pedals, Hutchison Mosquito Gold front tire, Alligator Gold rear.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Sweet handling, corners like a rocket, climbs really well, plush ride, love them disc brakes

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for cross country riding

Bottom Line:
I test rode a bunch of bikes back to back with the Jekylls. First impression, whoa, what a sweet ride. Thought of buying the Stumpjumper because of the sweet handling in the tight single track, but hopped on a Jekyll right after and couldn't believe how smooth the suspension travel was, how it was almost as tight in the single track (which I fixed by buying a medium frame instead of a large) and how the Jekyll climbed while I couldn't keep the Stumpjumper's front wheel on the ground. So I ordered a Jekyll 1000, picked it up Friday night and got out for my first real ride last night.

We rode Sulphur Springs, just west of Calgary. Its about 15 km long, it feels like the parking lot rises 1000 ft from the time you leave to the time you get back, with knarly climbs and fast, pine needle covered single track descents. This is my test loop - both for bikes and for my own fitness level.

The Jekyll handled the climbs with ease - nice to have a few extra gears for the climbs, the Continental back tire stayed glued to the trail, could do most of the climbing in the saddle, with only the steepest sections requiring me to scoot forward onto the nose of the saddle to keep the front tire on the trail. The monkey bar (at 27" long) did make the front end a little twitchy, but I'm going to leave as is for now until I get some miles in (still, it might have a date with a pipe cutter coming up). Overall, climbing was pretty much intuitive straight out of the box - it took me years to get this comfortable with my Proflex in the climbs.

In the downhills, this bike is a dream, even set up for steep geometry quick handling. The Hayes discs have phenomal power (need more power, just add a finger to the lever and pull harder). Supsension travel was super plush - for the first section of downhill, I forgot to flip the rear lockout lever back to active and still found the bike soaked up the bumps like nothing I've seen. Found myself having to grab way more brake than I expected in the corners because the bike was soaking up the trail so well, I had no idea what my speed was until I started washing through the corners. When I had my speed right, I could snap roll the bike at speed in the corners through the trees and rocks - the bike would go exactly where I pointed it the instant I pointed it. This is my first ride using a Superheat on the front - I found it washed a little bit in the loose corners, but I wasn't sure if that was because of the tire or because I was just trying to carry too much speed. I think the Superheat might just be the replacement I've been looking for since I can't seem to find the kevlar hardcore darts anymore (which is the standard I measure front tires against).

As for suspension set-up, its going to take a little bit of playing and riding to get to the point where I like it. I figure that it'll be a trade off between low speed plush/bobbing versus low speed stiff/not so much bobbing. It is nice to have the rear lock-out for the longer climbs, just have to remember to flip the lever before I start to climb and flip it again before I start to descend. I don't think I'll ever use the fork lock-out, don't even notice it bobbing. As for geometry, I'll give slacker angles a try, but I like the quick handling and easy climbing of the steep angles on my first ride.

Overall, 4 chilis for value (you don't quite get the same component spec in this price range as the Mount Vision or Stumpjumper) and 5 chilis overall for how intuitive this bike was for climbing and descending. I'll re-post at the end of the summer to give an update on reliability.

Favorite Trail:   Sulphur Springs

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike city

Similar Products Used:   Marin Eldridge Grade (my original bike), Proflex 856 (last bike), test rode Kona Mokamoka (frame was too long), Marin Wolf Ridge (heavy, heavy, heavy) & Mount Vision (good spec, light, geometry felt kind of weird) and Stumpjumper FSR Pro (good spec, very light, tight, dreamy handling, couldn't keep the front wheel down climbing and kept hitting the pedals on the ground), Jekyll 800 (but only because the bike shops didn't have 1000s in the frame sizes I wanted to try - its kind of heavy).

Bike Setup:   Stock Jekyll 1000 with Monkey Bar E70 (which came from Cannondale, along with a Richey seat post which was too short for me), upgrade to Race Face chain rings, Race Face XYO seat post and XT shifters, Mitsibushi Superheat front tire, stock Continental in the back, set up for steep geometry

Submitted by MARK B a Cross Country Rider from SPRINGVILLE, UT

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    This is an update on an earlier post.
The bike rides like a dream. I am more impressed now than when it was new! I like being able to fiddle with the shock adjustments and set the bike up for whatever I am riding that day.

Weaknesses:    While the aluminium frame is nice and lite, it is easily damaged by rocks as you fly down a hill. I put quite a ding at the bottom of the crank that nearly went through! Also, the lightness in front makes control on steep uphills a little tougher.
I also had to get a new fork, maybe because of my too aggressive riding, I'd like to think so, but a seal was found cracked. The shop replaced it with no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
While it's spendy, if you use it--it's worth it!
A great ride that has given me great fun.

Favorite Trail:   BARTLETT WASH, MOAB

Purchased At:   Timpinogos Cyles

Submitted by Bruce a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry adjustability, control on technical single track. Suspension reacts well with obstacles, overall a lightweight strong bike.

Weaknesses:    Not built for 200+ lb aggressive rider. Have broken first frame, two new bottom brackets, third chain and third cassette in less than 700 miles. This bike does not TAKE hard riding! If you ride cautiously on smooth easy grade XC trails then get one. Mine has a Lefty front shock which is OK, but bearings stick at 130+ psi, Lefty does provide good handling on tight downhill switchbacks.

Bottom Line:
A good bike if you weigh less than 200 lb and ride with fear in your heart on downhills and technical trails. My next bike will have to be a freeride set up with stronger wheels, frame, heavier overall. But what is 10 pounds to me when me and bike weigh 260 or 270? That is nothing percentage-wise. Bike dealers and riders are WAY to weight conscious when advising/buying.

2004 Cannondale Jekyll 1000

So im thinking about buying this bike, and i was wondering if its too big for me. Im 5'8 but this is a large. Are there any other things that i should worry about when buying the bike. Im getting it for 7-800. Thanks guys!Read More »

New guy with Jekyll 1000

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris. I live in central NJ. I'm a fresh, new guy to the MTB world. Only rode out about 6 times borrowing a friends bike. Just picked up my first ride last night. It's an 01 Jekyll 1000. Has a few mods, Shimano LX hydraulic brakes, Fox Float RC shock. ... Read More »

jekyll 1000 vs 1000sl

Looking at buying either a 2001 cannondale jekyll 1000(for $600) or a jekyll 1000SL(for $500). Whats the difference other than the SL having a headshok and the other having a lefty fork? Couple questions: 1) How much travel is in the Lefty DLR fork? 2)What is the real difference between the tw ... Read More »

Upgrading Coda brakes on Jekyll 1000

I have a 2001 Jekyll 1000 with Lefty and original Coda hydraulic brakes. The rotors are a 4 bolt pattern and are 160mm (I think). I would like to upgrade the brakes preferably to the Avid BB7 and new rotors. The Avid rotors have a 6 bolt pattern. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions fo ... Read More »

Jekyll 1000 creaky headset problems

I have a Chris King headset in my Jekyll and want to replace it with something inexpensive and more importantly, quiet. I'm so tired of hearing the creaky popping noises when I stand up on my pedals. Will a Cane Creek S-3 do it? I want a solid tight fit with no noise.Read More »