Home | Reviews | Socks | Smart

4.81/5 (36 Reviews)

SmartWool MTB Socks

Submitted by stumblemumble a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    NO STINK!
Comfy
Durable
Machine washable wool

Weaknesses:    Price, though worth it.

Bottom Line:
Love them. I own like 6 pair, bought a ton when I saw them on sale at REI. I've used them over three years and just noticed on my oldest pair that they're getting thin at the toe, finally wearing out. I wear them DAILY. Not just for riding, they are my day to day socks.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by teelow a Cross Country Rider from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Strengths:    Super comfortable. Works well in summer and winter.

Bottom Line:
I love these socks. I have about six pairs now. I have some low-rise but preffer the crew length because they protect my ankles and calves from scratches better. I wear them in summer because they breath well, and in winter because they stay warm. During one winter ride, I broke through some ice and got my feet soaked (it was about 20 degrees F out). I took my shoes off, wrung out the socks, and kept riding. My feet stayed warm enough that I was able to keep riding without numb toes! Worth the somewhat high cost, for sure.

Purchased At:   REI, EMS, Dicks

Similar Products Used:   Sock guy. Pearl Izumi

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy

Submitted by Grindmonkey7 a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, holds its shape.

Weaknesses:    Some may say price. I say none.

Bottom Line:
For my feet the greatest socks on the planet. Smartwool Rocks. I have 2 pair both are wonderful. So smooth and comfortable. for my feet nothing could be finer than Smartwool. These socks retain their shape after years of use and repeated washing and drying. Something special about the inherent nature of
Merino wool. Created by nature and fantastic next to the skin. You can't go wrong, try these, because of the wool. You will not be sorry, even more you will be completely satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   Bring It

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Sock Guy, Save Our Souls

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone

Submitted by Julius a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Durable, cool graphics, comfortable, both warm and cool!

Weaknesses:    None, seriously!

Bottom Line:
Oh man I love these socks! They are a bit pricey but I can use them for both summer AND winter rides. They can wick away moisture quickly and they're very warm with some cushioness in my shoes. I will only buy Smart Wool socks for outdoors, period!

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, Descanso, CA

Purchased At:   R.E.I.

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, Performance

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Ridgewood

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    These socks a a little thickness to them. This provides a little padding which I like. Being wool they breath GREAT.
Being "Smart Wool" they are soft and comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Awesome socks. Hard to find in stores in NJ (1st found them in a store in Moab) but easy to find on-line.

Favorite Trail:   Anything not paved

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   numerous thin cotton and man-made materials

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, X-Vert Air, Cane Creek-AD12, Avid Mech Disc(F), XTR(F&R), Mavic-CrossRoc with UST Cont. Explorer Pro, Time-Carbon,

Submitted by k. a Weekend Warrior from il

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2002

Strengths:    everything-well almost

Weaknesses:    do not throw them in the HOT dryer! white is so hard to keep clean

Bottom Line:
I own 12 pairs of the thin ones, 6 pairs of the black thick ones. They truly are worth it. Half of them i have lost due to cuffs stretching out(my fault for hot drying them). On a cold wet ride my feet stayed wet but warm with no pinching or binding.

Purchased At:   performance-buy 3 and save!

Submitted by Don Carriere a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Strengths:    Quality construction and material

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
Thank you MTB Review... That's how I got turned on to these AWESOME socks! I had no idea! These socks are the bomb! ( I can't believe I can be so passionate about socks).

They work for ALL seasons. Wool in summer? Absolutely! Wool in winter? Of course! Itchy? No way, they're soft and nice. They don't sweat... they just feel comfortable.

I just ordered 3 more pair, so that I'll always have a pair ready to ride. Once you go to SmartWool, you'll never go back...really.

--- Dual Mega Chili's for this great product! ---

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Thorlo, Pearl Izumi

Bike Setup:   Huh?

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    Soft, warm, comfortable. Warm, soft, comfortable. Comfortable, warm, soft.

Weaknesses:    zilch. Well, they're not available with clever graphics around the ankles...

Bottom Line:
I've been riding all winter, down to temps in the low 20s, and I wear SmartWool's Hiking socks under my year-round shoes (Specialized Sport Mountains). I finally broke down and got some booties after my toes got chilly at those temps. When the temp is in the 30s, my feet feel perfectly warm!

These socks are great. They are not only warm, they are soft and fuzzy (so they feel good) and they wick away moisture.

I'm planning to stock up on thinner cycling-specific SmartWool socks for the warmer months. And I'll be sticking with these for cold weather riding. They're wonderful.

Similar Products Used:   Cotton athletic socks

Submitted by Scot a Racer from Westchester, New York

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Strengths:    NEVER TO WARM OR TO COLD, EXTRMELY DURABLE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
EXCELLENT PRODUCT REGARDLESS OF WEATHER OR LOCATION, SO GOOD I ONLY OWN SMARTWOOL SOCKS FOR EVERYDAY USE. I WOULD BET AS THE WORD SPREADS MORE AND MORE CYCLISTS WILL CROSSOVER TO WOOL. IT IS SUPER COMFORTABLE AND NOT ITCHY!

Favorite Trail:   Canaan, West Virginia

Purchased At:   Performance mailorder

Similar Products Used:   Defeet

Bike Setup:   UNIMPORTANT

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Seattle WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Strengths:    Oh, the Wooly Love!! They're never too hot or too cold, always juuust right. Even when soaking wet (rain or sweat) they're comfy. If you ride in the rain you want wool socks, trust me!

Weaknesses:    They can stretch a bit out of shape. That's why I machine dry mine, they shrink just right to stretch back onto my foot and not get floppy.

Bottom Line:
Sheep know what's up! I've got lots of Smartwools and I dig 'em all. I really stopped using the MTB sock once I tried the short-top running socks, which are thinner and work even better at keeping the hot dogs happy. All the synthetics (a la DeFeet) will eventually get more and more uncomfortable as they age. My smartwools are 3 years old and still running strong. I don't know what I'm going to do to get more of these, since I don't have the shop discount anymore....

Favorite Trail:   Snoqualmie rail trail

Purchased At:   shop employee deal

Similar Products Used:   Thor-Lo, other synthetics

Bike Setup:   Who cares? It's a freakin' sock review!!!

Submitted by Shawn Pearson a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Warm in the cold. Cool in the heat.

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
An excellent sock overall. I highly recommend them. They are very comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Challenging

Purchased At:   REI, Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cheap socks from Wal-Mart mostly, some from Performance Bicycle Shop.

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe-stock mostly.

Submitted by Fran from carbondale, PA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    VERY comfy, keeps your feet cool, the comfy part is the
best part. Ever try to jog or run far in aireeters? Not
comfy, but good product.

Weaknesses:    bought the white ones, they show and stay dirty

Bottom Line:
I would buy these again when they are on sale. They are
expensive though. Excellent sock! I like the air eaters
but they are not as comfy.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    These are the best socks I have ever worn. PERIOD. I have been riding a Mountain bike since the 80's.

Weaknesses:    The early Cannondale logo version of this sock wore out much quicker than my newer pairs.

Bottom Line:
I not only always ride with smartwool, I always wear smartwool. I actually turned ALL my old socks into rags and bought several dozen pair of smartwool brand socks. I have hiking, cycling, casual dress, expedition trekking, snowboarding, and I am getting some white crew socks for this summer. I think I have about 40 pair total. Think about this for a moment, count the number of reviews, have you ever seen so many people excited about a sock? Try some and you will find out why.....

P.S. The long underwear is extremely expensive, but worth every penny. imagine wrapping yourself entirely in the same soft merino wool as the socks. AAaaahhhh.

Similar Products Used:   perhaps all of them. Pearl Izumi, DeFeet, Sock Guy, etc..

Bike Setup:   Does bike setup really matter when we are talking socks. I have 7 bikes and I always ride with smartwool.

Submitted by Ian Stevens a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    Very warm and comfy

Weaknesses:    Price (unless you buy 3 pair at a time) and cuff

Bottom Line:
Great socks for cool or cold weather. My only complaint is that the ankle cuff is a little weak and feels loose around my ankles. They even get looser the longer you wear them. I have read similar complaints of their hiking socks (I have some of those too) but they do seem to bounce back some after a wash. However, I don't think you can find a warmer or more comfortable sock (for biking or hiking)

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge