Home | Reviews | Socks | DeFeet

DeFeet Air-E-Ator Socks

4.53/5 (38 Reviews)

DeFeet built the AirEator Bike Sock with such low bulk that you might forget you have it on. A close fit supports your foot in every direction and a mesh-like knit enhances airflow. No padding means no water or sweat absorption and super-fast dry time. Pro athletes rely on the AirEator sock for direct power transfer to their shoe and ultralight weight.

Submitted by carlodutchy a Racer from Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    Fit was not bad

Weaknesses:    didn't last 3 hours

Bottom Line:
tested them for less then an hour with easy ride and decided to use them in 40 km race. (normale i don't wear specific cycle socks)
After race I got already toe whole and other sock doesn't look like it's going to last much longer either.
Read this also in one of the last reviews and spent now my time to warn people not to waist there money on these socks!

Favorite Trail:   races

Purchased At:   YKK

Similar Products Used:   almost all wear socks regular

Bike Setup:   Giant with mostly shimano xt components

Submitted by Troy with the magic wand a Cross Country Rider from massachusetts

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    comfortable breath well, there are deals to be had on these socks if you know where to look.

Weaknesses:    the new ones might not be as good as the older ones. Others have said, "they don't make them like the used to".

Bottom Line:
If you can pick these socks up for around 6 dollors a pair, it is a good deal. Some of my older ones have worn much better than some of the newer. The material can vary depending on the sock and design. Find an online retailer, and don't pay to much. I bought a bunch at the interbike show for 5 a pair. As I write this review I'm able to find them for 6.08 a pair plus shipping. Spend some big bucks online, and don't leave out the socks. Heck, if you're already paying for shipping on a large item, socks won't add to the freight.

Favorite Trail:   out west some where

Purchased At:   interbike show deal

Similar Products Used:   sock guy etc

Bike Setup:   two IF bikes and one surly, all steel.

Submitted by Chest Rockwell a Racer from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Best rags I have ever used

Weaknesses:    Worst socks I have ever tried

Bottom Line:
After 2 rides I got a toe hole. Maybe that's how they are supposed to function though, the longer that you ride, the more holes acquired, the better the ventilation. No? I'm sticking with Smartwools, way more comfy, way more value. But if I run out of quality $7 rags, I've got the hook-up.

Favorite Trail:   Water Dog

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   SmartWools, Feetures

Bike Setup:   Do you really care?

Submitted by Nathan F. a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, TEXAS!

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit and keeps my small feet cool!

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
What can I say about a pair of socks that I have owned many different designs (before the fire and afterwords). They fit great on my small feet and keep my feet dry!
I have used DeFeet for well over 10 years now (back when I lived in NC & SC - that is how I learned about DeFeet). I even use them as a daily sock! People comment and love the graphics.

Great socks! Great Design! Now go get them!

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere!

Purchased At:   Everywhere possible...

Similar Products Used:   Cotton, wool, other synthetics...

Bike Setup:   1999 Litespeed Tsali-XT Group,Titec 118 Ti Handlebar,Frogs,Judy SID,KING Ti bottle cage,Salsa Brake Brace&Syncros Ti post. WT approx 23 pounds ;)

Submitted by jaco a Cross Country Rider from costa rica

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    thin and durable, cool designs (on some models)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I have 3 pairs that I use for many different activities. Love these socks!

Favorite Trail:   el filo

Purchased At:   defeet

Similar Products Used:   fox (expensive and definately not durable)

Bike Setup:   HH

Submitted by Glenn Vernes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT. USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
There's an old movie where Alec Guiness (AKA. Obiwan Kinobi) plays an inventor who comes up with an indestructable fabric that lasts forever. All the clothing companies try to stop him from introducing it, because they know that if clothes never wear out, people won't need to buy new ones (except for new members of society). I think De Feet might have realized this as well, which would explain the drastic decline in the quality and durability of their socks. You'd buy a pair and it would last five years. Now they wear out faster than the competition, you need to replace them twice a year. Maybe if you pulled out your toenails they'd last. I bought a pair that ripped on the first ride (but not in the toes). There was an urban rumor going around that their factory burned down, maybe thats it. Whatever the cause, current DeFeet's are no longer the socks we came to love in the late nineties. I you buy a pair now, don't expect them to last.

Purchased At:   various places

Similar Products Used:   LIN, Sock guy, blue dress socks, wool argyles.

Submitted by Glenn Vernes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I don't know what happened to DeFeet socks, but they don't make them like they used to. They used to be nearly indestructable, I have a five year old pair that is still perfect. But the new ones are no better than the competition's offerings. The toes rip, the arch rips, the heel rips. I bought a new pair and they started falling apart on the second ride. And then there's the dorky graphics. I've stopped buying them out of protest, and recommend that others do too. If they start making them the old way again, I'll start buying and recommending them again.

Favorite Trail:   Metacomit at Case Mtn

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi, Sock Guy, Lim, blue dress socks, wool argyles

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1, Bomber, XTR

Submitted by Deek a Downhiller from Winnipeg, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Vented, Cool Designs

Weaknesses:    too thin. Gets caught on stuff and rips

Bottom Line:
This is a good sock, i just don't like it that much. I like thicker socks that are ventilated and keep you just as cool.

good for XC i guess

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   any sock really - RNH - etc.

Bike Setup:   2002 Brodie Bruzza Mostly stock components

Submitted by Jin Man a Weekend Warrior from Guadalajara, Mexico

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    This socks are really cool, have nice fit and are really comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None by now.

Bottom Line:
This socks are real cycling socks, really nice that sometimes I use them even I'm not riding. Have fair option for sizes and the price in Mexico is fair.

I really love this socks, I bought 2 pair,I've used them for more than 3 months and they look new. Of course, they're really cool and work well here in Mexico where the hot hit all the time while riding and my foots stopped sweating.

Favorite Trail:   All Mexico

Similar Products Used:   Nike.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 with full XT, Race Face bar, Thomson Seatpost & Stem, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, and Selle Italia. (I've changed most of Bontrager parts, very bad products)

Submitted by Mark Wheezer a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2002

Strengths:    WOLLIE BOOLIES are: Warm, soft, durable.

Weaknesses:    I don't have a drawer full of them (yet).

Bottom Line:
Woolie Boolies are the best socks going. I even wear 'em to work, with Birks, etc. Even on cold mud-fest rides, my feet are happy. I wear them until the weather's HOT, and then switch to Air-E-Ators. These socks put the "winter" SmartWool socks to shame.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Similar Products Used:   Smartwool, Sock Guy

Bike Setup:   This really matters?? How about SHOE setup: Didi Dominator 2. (Great shoes!)

Submitted by Glenn Vernes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Strengths:    Last a long time

Weaknesses:    Hard to get them without dorky graphics, sayings on them.

Bottom Line:
These are the best socks. They're the only socks that don't get toe holes in them after a few rides. I've had a pair for 4 years, they only wore out because I had to walk out of the woods when my bike broke. The friction of rubbing against my shoes wore holes in the heels.

The only drawback is that they're hard to find without these dorky graphics like rockets or humping rabbits. However, you can buy them from Performance with only the DeFeet logo.

Submitted by Brett a Racer from colorado

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    I can't wear them out

Weaknesses:    Need some hip new styles

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to say Defeet Woolie Boolies are the best socks in the world. If you like wool, get some of these socks...I have 2 pair I have been wearing for close to 3 years now. Not only do they not hold odors like other synthetic socks, but I can wear them 3 days straight and they come off like they have been worn for an hour. Wash them in the shower with you, then hang them up and wear them the next day (dry really fast too).

I have the air-e-ator socks for riding and racing, and they have been superb as well. No holes yet, unlike the one i've tried above.

If you need the best, all around comfy, warm, and durable socks - then these are what you should be buying.

Similar Products Used:   Smartwool, sock guy

Submitted by Lester a Weekend Warrior from Mayberry NC

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
These are the coolest looking socks.
You need to buy a few pair for 3 reasons

1) Women will complement you, which will lead to a conversation, will will lead to a lasting relationship

2) They are made in the USA

3) They will make your bike faster :^)

Save the World, ride a bike with Da feet Yo

Similar Products Used:   Foreign Crap

Submitted by Zach a Racer from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    really cool sayings

Weaknesses:    nothing else matters

Bottom Line:
nothing

Favorite Trail:   mud hills whatever

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   nothing

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    Strengths? "Strengths" is the key word here. I've worn my Trek Team Voltswagon socks on every ride, washed them a lot, and I swear I could put them back on the rack in the bike shop and no one would know the difference. They haven't faded at all, and wear is negligible. These are some Arnold Schwarzenager socks. "Put your feet in the air, and wave 'em like ya just don't care!"

Weaknesses:    They don't actually "eat air." As a matter of fact, air passes right through them without a scratch, as well as moisture. I'm being sarcastic of course, but hey, I'm from New York--forget about it!

Bottom Line:
Convention tells me I should recommend you buy at least two pairs, especially if your married--I'm not, by the way--but really one pair would do you fine if you're only wearing them for cycling. The reason is, these socks don't gather sweat at all, and dirt hardly at all--unless you're using them as shoes. I ride at least four days a week and, honestly, I only wash these socks every once in a while because they pass the sniff test every time. I've never experienced them getting squishy with sweat as every other pair of socks I've ever owned has. If I ever had to replace them, probably as the result of theft!, I'd easily pay double the price for a new pair of the exact same ones.

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough and dirty, baby!

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle (pro shop) at LalaPort (Tokyo Bay shopping mall) Funabashi, Chiba

Similar Products Used:   I have been wearing socks all my life; all kinds of socks for all kinds of heavy duty endurance sports and pretty much abusing them as only a good pair of work boots should be. I am the great destroyer of socks, the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega. If socks could talk, they'd call me Satan. "And he took off his shoes and said, "Behold! I have become Death (to socks)!"" I PITY the socks that try to stay in one piece on my feet!

Bike Setup:   Trek racing geometry frame with racing level components of my own choosing and installation.