Home | Reviews | Shorts | Zoic

3.78/5 (36 Reviews)

Zoic Vigor Shorts

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Hampshire. United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Last for ages and does not make you look like a nurdey cyclist flashing his nuts.

Weaknesses:    Eventually wears out after 3-4 years.

Bottom Line:
My second pair of Zoic Vigor shorts have finally given up and died. They are not available in UK anymore. Can anybody give me a US mail order company who stocks them.

Favorite Trail:   Homeward

Purchased At:   That's the problem!

Similar Products Used:   Trek cargo

Bike Setup:   Downhill with a cross country edge. (You need that because hills are too far apart in UK)

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Strengths:    - awesome looking (could wear them anywhere, not just for biking)
- good sized pockets, secure
- good fit
- good ventilation
- good price

Weaknesses:    - padding is a bit thin
- occasionally get caught on the saddle (but only a temporary snag)

Bottom Line:
I was starting to wonder if I could find a decent looking pair of bike shorts (without spending a fortune), when I went and checked out M.E.C. Wow, these things are great. The only way they could be improved is with a bit more padding. It's okay for rough terrain , but spend a lot of time on the saddle (i.e. road), and you start to feel it.

The pockets are great. I can put my camera in, and never worry about it falling out, no matter how rough the trail is.

Bottom line: I would definitely buy another pair.

Note: price I have given is in U.S. dollars

Favorite Trail:   anywhere dry

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Co-op

Similar Products Used:   - Louis Garneau
- Bellweather

Submitted by dan a Cross Country Rider from midland, mi

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Strengths:    cool material, cargo pockets

Weaknesses:    padding blows, can't really tell a difference between shorts/boxers and these shorts. not baggy enough for me, the cool 15 year old.

Bottom Line:
weak padding=uncomfortable not cool enough for me, how bout some Fox or Pearl Izumi shorts?

Favorite Trail:   stubway

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   none, thinking about new shorts!

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    liner

Bottom Line:
I was at first very impressed with these shorts. The cargo pockets are the best for a baggy style bike short, and the outer shell lasted just fine.

The problem is that crappy pantyhose type liner. I had 4 shorts, in all 4 the liners riped apart at the seams where the pad is sewn in. I wore these shorts 1-2 times a week with weekly washings per the instructions on the label. Each short lasted on average 6-9 months before ripping apart. That equates to 24-32 wearings/washings. Quailty? what quality. Zoic's lower cost "Vim" short has a better liner, they should use this in the Vigor.

5 chilis for design and comfort, -4 chilis for crappy quality.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan, Noble Canyon, Elfin Forest

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Performance, C'Dale, all baggie shorts

Bike Setup:   Y2K C'Dale SuperV 700SX (the Lefty ROCKS) with Coda Expert disk brakes, SRAM ESP9.0 drive train.

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, nice cargo pockets, looks, and durability

Weaknesses:    the padding

Bottom Line:
These shorts are great. They are finally falling apart after 2.5 years, but they have withstood countless spills and hundreds of washes. My only complaint is that they are now too short (from overdrying) and that the padding is too thin. The padding is very thin compared to my NEMA jewal shorts (great shorts also), but this might be attributed to the padding compressing over time. Overall, a great pair of shorts.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   NEMA jewal

Bike Setup:   Aeon Isis, Marzocchi Z3 LT fork, Chris King Headset, full XT, etc.

Submitted by jeff a Weekend Warrior from philadelphia

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1999

Strengths:
durable

Weaknesses:
the padding is garbage,
and customer service is a discrace.

Bottom Line:
I bought them for their looks and strength. After riding a few times I was very disapointed because the padding was so uncomfortable. I wrote to Zoic a few times and asked for a response from them. I never heard back from them, so I lost all confidence in the company and could not even recomend them to an enemy.

valley green

Pearl Izumi, Cannondale

Cannondale

Submitted by David Corby a Cross-Country Rider from Boulder,CO

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
Great fit and Durabuility. I love the pockets

Weaknesses:
What's a ZOIC?

Bottom Line:
I love these shorts. The cotton is really comfortable and the pockets come in handy when I commute or run erans. Some times I wear these babies to work and forget to change all day--why bother? I have tried other baggies that cost more, but Its not worth it. For the value, I give them a 5 alarm fire

White Ranch

PI baggies and PI-private investigators

Serrotta road and Trek OCLV hard tail on the dirt

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Germantown, MD

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

Strengths:
Nice fit, decent airflow, durable & they look good

Bottom Line:
These shorts fit great and look like mtb shorts should look; at least in my opinion. I'd recommend these to anyone out there looking for a great pair of shorts.

Seneca Creek

less than 1 month

Submitted by bill a Cross-Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1999

Strengths:
hmm

Weaknesses:
fit wierd

Bottom Line:
The inner part is tight. The outer part is too baggy. The worst part is that I can't pull them up enough to keep them from snaging on my seat. So I've got to hike em way up and wear a baggy shirt so no one sees my chest high old man style shorts. I have a bunch of zoic shirts and love them but I don't like these shorts. Sorry Zoic.
They're just not for me.

Nice Tit. Hardtail

Submitted by Scott Salsi a Cross-Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Strengths:
Compfort, looks

Weaknesses:
Nonw

Bottom Line:
A good looking, comfortable pair of shorts. I prefer not to wear lycra. These look like mt bike clothes should.

Bavington

Nike shorts

Submitted by matthew Paored a cross-country rider from bethesda MD

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

these shorts are orerall pretty poor. they are uncofurtable and fit weird. If you want to buy some shorts singletrack mind make some good shorts. also you cant just pop these on over a pair of underware. I would'nt buy these if i were you

Submitted by Craig a downhiller from Washington

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased these shorts cause I had a $60 gift certificate at REI and I could find anything else I wanted. I was pleased with the comfort. I usually wear standard bike shorts and was always a bit leary of the baggy style shorts, thinking they would limit my mobility around the seat on technical sections. I wore them on a very technical ride today for the first time. I actually forgot I was wearing em. Nice shorts, but a bit hesitant to give them a full 5 chillies only because I have yet to test their long term durability.

Submitted by Scott Armit a cross-country rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I find these shorts very comfortable, however, both pockets are ripped and the nylon waistband has come loose because the stitching to keep it in place has come undone. The padding has also lost a lot of its, well, padding. I've had them for about a year. I think for this amount of money they should last a little longer than that. Not very solid.

Submitted by spiff a cross-country rider from longisland,ny

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got em. I wore em all last summer. I rode all day in em and bodyboarded all afternoon in em. I swam in these bitc*hes. They are sweet. I laugh at all you freak nits wearin the black ball hugging spandax, your all a bunch of silly sapp suckers in your spandex and ballerina slippers(stupid black ballerina spd shoes- u know what im talkin about) get a real spd bootI dont know where you dudes ride must be the road or something with those lame shoes. ....back to the shorts: sweet!eventually wore out by summers end and now shrunken like your head.
Im ridin no fear shorts..these shorts are long and strong, i recommend the no fear gear even though those stickers all over your buddies car sucks nads.
Zoic is real though. 5 chillies for quality brashness.

Submitted by Michael a cross-country rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I picked these up at Performance Bike Shop while in the US. They're good value at $US50. They're heaps comfy, look pretty cool and work well. I got a bit of a surprise on my first downhill in them. The gusset between the legs lets a lot of breeze in, and keeps your nads nice and cool. I love 'em so far, they sure beat a pair of boardies.